Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

The Voice of Labor posted:

You have so many options. I like my radium 49, which can be run off usb power or batteries. I love my yamaha cbxk1 which I've been using for close to 2 decades and which can run forever off of a few aa batteries. The radium was 30 or 40 bucks a year or two ago basically new in box.

Figure out how many keys you want, how big you want them to be and go from there.

Thank you! I’m thinking I might as well get something with 48 or 49 keys. From what I’ve read I can’t really go wrong with the M-Audio Keystation 49 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyStatn3-49--m-audio-keystation-49-mk3-keyboard-controller

Or, since that doesn’t seem to be available anywhere, the Nektar SE 49 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SE49--nektar-se49-keyboard-controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

frogbs posted:

Thank you! I’m thinking I might as well get something with 48 or 49 keys. From what I’ve read I can’t really go wrong with the M-Audio Keystation 49 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyStatn3-49--m-audio-keystation-49-mk3-keyboard-controller

Or, since that doesn’t seem to be available anywhere, the Nektar SE 49 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SE49--nektar-se49-keyboard-controller

Yup! Just find whatever the best recommended keyboard in the middle of your budget is, then go up and down a tier—both to see what you’re potentially missing out on (sometimes it’s better to save up a little bit for a nicer piece of gear up front than buy a cheaper, crappier piece that you’re gonna feel compelled/forced to upgrade in short order) and if you’re overpaying for what you actually need.

Every gear company is constantly turning over and updating their stuff, so what was best 4 years ago may not be true now.

If you can stretch your budget into the ~$100 range Arturia makes the nicest small keyboards in my opinion, at least at that price range. A lot of people here have Keylabs or Minilabs, and the Keystep is possibly the single most recommended piece of gear in this thread. What it lacks in number of keys it makes up for in Arp/Seq features, build quality, and general ease of use out of the box.

I traded in an M-Audio Code61 that was perfectly fine but simply way too big and too much of a pain in the rear end to set up and take down constantly for a Keystep and I’ve been super happy with it. Works fine with an iPad even without power going to the USB dongle too.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yup! Just find whatever the best recommended keyboard in the middle of your budget is, then go up and down a tier—both to see what you’re potentially missing out on (sometimes it’s better to save up a little bit for a nicer piece of gear up front than buy a cheaper, crappier piece that you’re gonna feel compelled/forced to upgrade in short order) and if you’re overpaying for what you actually need.

Every gear company is constantly turning over and updating their stuff, so what was best 4 years ago may not be true now.

If you can stretch your budget into the ~$100 range Arturia makes the nicest small keyboards in my opinion, at least at that price range. A lot of people here have Keylabs or Minilabs, and the Keystep is possibly the single most recommended piece of gear in this thread. What it lacks in number of keys it makes up for in Arp/Seq features, build quality, and general ease of use out of the box.

I traded in an M-Audio Code61 that was perfectly fine but simply way too big and too much of a pain in the rear end to set up and take down constantly for a Keystep and I’ve been super happy with it. Works fine with an iPad even without power going to the USB dongle too.

Thanks! I'll look at Arturia's stuff, the Keystep looks pretty nice. I'm starting to be a little worried that if I get something bigger that I won't actually use it because it'll stay locked in a closet.

One question, since i'm new to midi controllers and stuff. A lot of the synths i've played with on the iPad have an arpeggiator built in, i'm assuming they would work with any midi controller I use, right? Is the advantage of having an arpeggiator built into the controller that you can do arpeggio's without needing it baked into the software?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

frogbs posted:

Thanks! I'll look at Arturia's stuff, the Keystep looks pretty nice. I'm starting to be a little worried that if I get something bigger that I won't actually use it because it'll stay locked in a closet.

One question, since i'm new to midi controllers and stuff. A lot of the synths i've played with on the iPad have an arpeggiator built in, i'm assuming they would work with any midi controller I use, right? Is the advantage of having an arpeggiator built into the controller that you can do arpeggio's without needing it baked into the software?

Yup. It works both ways- and I think in some apps you can selectively enable one or the other.

It gives you a certain consistency because if the software/synth in question doesn’t have the right arp or right arp behavior you can force it to play what the Keystep tells it to, meaning that you can sync mutiple pieces of software or gear or whatever more easily.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

frogbs posted:

check the used market before you get anything. If you're in a metro area, craigslist will be full of controllers. Ebay's o.k. too, shipping on, like, 49 key controllers isn't too bad. Controllers loose their value quickly and usually pretty severely.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

check the used market before you get anything. If you're in a metro area, craigslist will be full of controllers. Ebay's o.k. too, shipping on, like, 49 key controllers isn't too bad. Controllers loose their value quickly and usually pretty severely.

I’m in Portland, Oregon, which I thought would have a pretty good used market, but so far people seem to be charging a lot for older gear on Craigslist. This is the closest I could find to what I wanted, but it’s not usb and a little too expensive https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/d/portland-midi-controller-49-key/7115376131.html

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Be glad you're not me, because if you were, you'd be midway over the columbia by now:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/d/battle-ground-2-casio-keyboards/7114876944.html

ebay came up with these for, like, the 3rd and 5th search results:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Audio-Ax...H0AAOSwHcxetV~p

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Audio-Oxygen-61-USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Controller-Powers-ON/402256192097?hash=item5da8566261:g:U2YAAOSwVCJetV~O

e:

Cheapest option, local pickup, an octave more than you wanted, has usb, generic general midi and built in speakers so it's totally self contained, also has a sampling function which is probably fun as all hell. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the keys are velocity sensitive.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/d/portland-casio-keyboard/7117565629.html

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 9, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Also, a lot of the Facebook groups have good sales too. Many people trying to sell stuff fast because they got laid off or just bored. Saw a Keystep go for $70 a few days back.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Looks like moog is finally letting the proles get access to the subharmonicon

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/moog-subharmonicon.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gringostar posted:

Looks like moog is finally letting the proles get access to the subharmonicon

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/moog-subharmonicon.html

So this is what you get instead of a second (or third) M32 then. Got it

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Ok Comboomer posted:

So this is what you get instead of a second (or third) M32 then. Got it

I liked DFAM when I had it and wouldn't mind it again, but I've always wanted the subharmonicon when it came out 2 years ago.

Strongly considering getting a three tier moog stand with a M32, DFAM, and now this to sit next to my modular especially since my modular has zero analog oscillators.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
It looks like Moog gave a subharmincon to everyone with a youtube channel which is totally burying the announcement of the Behringer Monopoly

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gringostar posted:

I liked DFAM when I had it and wouldn't mind it again, but I've always wanted the subharmonicon when it came out 2 years ago.

Strongly considering getting a three tier moog stand with a M32, DFAM, and now this to sit next to my modular especially since my modular has zero analog oscillators.

Definitely trying to figure out what to sell off to get a Sub for exactly this setup.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Stabbing Spork posted:

It looks like Moog gave a subharmincon to everyone with a youtube channel which is totally burying the announcement of the Behringer Monopoly

lol, that owns

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stabbing Spork posted:

Good

I still want a Behringer Poly D

Edit: I was confused because I was 99% certain that Korg would never let them use the Mono/Poly trade dress but the logo looked so similar.

B nixed the ‘ / ‘ and problem solved I guess, lol.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 12, 2020

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Maybe they'll good sued by Hasbro now lol.

It looks awesome though...

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Oh poo poo, Logic just got a huge update, including a Ableton-style Live Loops mode . This is perfect timing for me, I was eyeing Ableton Live to solve some stuff around my setup, but I already own Logic so this is wonderful.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

drat I was pretty bummed about the subharmonicon being limited to moogfest too, pretty sick to see it get a proper release. Im obsessed with poly rhythms generators. (I watch buchla 252e demos to fall asleep too)

Ive been needing something proper to gently caress with my matriarch too. I've got to sell some poo poo.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

Oh poo poo, Logic just got a huge update, including a Ableton-style Live Loops mode . This is perfect timing for me, I was eyeing Ableton Live to solve some stuff around my setup, but I already own Logic so this is wonderful.

The step sequencer in this update is great and can do stuff live cannot. It might be the thing that gets me to stop hating Logic.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I understand the Push is awesome and all but those PR photos of iPads and iPhones working out of the box with Logic is frustrating to see. Sometimes I just want transport control and have been burned on some apps that have so-so integration or lose developer support six months later. The last TouchOSC update was May 2018 :/

Edit: Oh wow that step sequencer is pretty interesting

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 13, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Any MIDI Thing users here? Have you ever had trouble with the drum trigger mode not firing all outs?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hey y’all thanks for sharing your dawless approaches and all that! I’m determined to start recording and writing consistently this year and I really need a landing spot to work on it all. I was leaning towards a DP-32SD but after a few days of Logic I’m actually enjoying playing through a daw for the first time in forever. I’ve never been able to enjoy the process. When I try to figure out my process on an eventual DP vs Logic, well uh, there’s a clear winner and it’s not like I even ask for much when it comes to editing. I don’t care about virtual instruments so now that I seem to have my latency down it’s feeling really good. As much as I love my pedal reverbs the space designer and chroma are incredible sounding too. I think I’m starting to get it, I just needed to treat the daw as a multitrack recorder with effects instead of an endless supply of vsts and options. It can actually end up being far more simple than a dedicated multitrack unit with all the extras.

I’ve been writing poo poo for a few days with the DB Impact + MicroBrute and it’s the best I’ve felt about music in a long time. I feel like I can actually write good poo poo and get it in some solid form most importantly. Now I just have to sort out my intense dislike of playing guitar through anything that isn’t a tube amp lol.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

drat I was pretty bummed about the subharmonicon being limited to moogfest too, pretty sick to see it get a proper release. Im obsessed with poly rhythms generators. (I watch buchla 252e demos to fall asleep too)

Ive been needing something proper to gently caress with my matriarch too. I've got to sell some poo poo.

Do you like the Matriarch? They're $300 off this month and I'm thinking about it real hard

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Does the keystep come with that lite version of ableton? How much are you missing with just that version?

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Stan Taylor posted:

Does the keystep come with that lite version of ableton? How much are you missing with just that version?

The new Keystep Pro does not come with Lite, but I'm pretty sure the original does. It's kind of hard to find the details of what Lite does but this article explains it pretty well (around the bottom): https://topmusicarts.com/blogs/news/ableton-live-lite-the-limitations-explained

Also I just got the Keystep Pro today and it's amazing so far. It's what I dreamed of when I got the Beatstep pro a few years ago!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey y’all thanks for sharing your dawless approaches and all that! I’m determined to start recording and writing consistently this year and I really need a landing spot to work on it all. I was leaning towards a DP-32SD but after a few days of Logic I’m actually enjoying playing through a daw for the first time in forever.

Etc etc

I binge read this whole thread recently and it's cool that after so long (and a lotta posts about drum machines!) you've found a setup that lets you do your thing creatively, real pleased for you.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Started out in the mid '90's with nothing but a lovely macintosh and a casio. after 25 years of synthing and synth procurement all the stuff I actually use comes down to a 7 year old mid tier PC and a thrift store midi controller.

In hindsight, I spent 15 years waiting for computers to get better and 10 years willfully ignoring that they had gotten better.

Building and circuit bending and stuff is and was still really valuable, but my "work"flow consists of doing now by choice what I started off doing by necessity. Also, an early privation in processing power is probably the main psychological trigger for thousands of dollars spent on synths I should be getting rid of.

Which reminds me, who wants to buy my microwave xt?

EBB posted:

Any MIDI Thing users here? Have you ever had trouble with the drum trigger mode not firing all outs?

never having owned, seen, touched, used or built one, I would first start by reseating the board interconnects. I would then check my ground connections on the jacks.

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 13, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Keystep owners, any recommended replacement USB cables for this thing? It's been touchy since I got it, but it's almost unusable at this point.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

a mysterious cloak posted:

Keystep owners, any recommended replacement USB cables for this thing? It's been touchy since I got it, but it's almost unusable at this point.

I just use the charging cables that come with Samsung phones and I've never had a problem.
Maybe the issue isn't the cable. Maybe it's the USB socket :ohdear:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My one complaint about the two Arturia products I own so far is that the USB plug does not fit very securely in which seems like a big "it really really should."

It's like the port is not deep enough to full accept the B connector.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

crimedog posted:

Do you like the Matriarch? They're $300 off this month and I'm thinking about it real hard

ive had mine for a couple of weeks now and have been working through it pretty slowly not being able to save and store presets. right up top no presets stinks but It basically forces you to record something if you like it, which is annoying at first, but better for keeping my creative flow going. theres always meticulous documentation and pictures of the control panel I guess to recreate sounds but Its pretty blissful to just go hog wild. ive spent probably four or five hours playing with the delay alone using the digitakt as a controller. its completely zen, very meditative.

im really in it for the 90 patch points though as I subscribe to the mad scientist approach to synthesis, tweaking knobs until either something workable is teased out or something just suddenly sounds great. I figured the attenuators would allow me to easily communicate with my ms-20 kit but havnt made too much headway in that department, but feeding my tr-08 into the synth input on the back is pretty excellent. ive never really reviewed a synthesizer before so thanks for bearing with me here :)

I did read though somewhere from someone on the internet that its designed to be a lab basically permitting any in system connection without frying anything. this kind of reads as fantasy to me but i am optimistic. I will report back if I manage to fry it going crazy with the patch cables. does anyone else with a matriarch (and more experience describing synthesizers) care to chime in here?

out of the myriad keyboards I have (dm12, sh101, subsequent37, op1, d50) it is easily the greatest joy to play. besides maybe the vc340 because vocoders are god tier.

Which reminds me, who wants to buy my microwave xt?

maybe we can do a synth exchange program, I should probably offload some poo poo too.

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 14, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

My one complaint about the two Arturia products I own so far is that the USB plug does not fit very securely in which seems like a big "it really really should."

It's like the port is not deep enough to full accept the B connector.

B Connectors have always been like this for me. I think it's part of the design because even my old printers stick out.

My Keystep tho hasn't had any issues with connection. I have about 6 laying across my desk at any given time to plug into synths and such and it's never flaked out on me.

Edit: 6 different usb cables, not 6 Keysteps

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 14, 2020

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I haven't had a problem yet but the connection to the BSP has always seemed janky and I'm not surprised people have had issues with it. It seems like Arturia's quality has improved since the earlier days though, at least as far as I know. I haven't heard of any issues with the last bunch of products like MB2, Drumbrute Impact and Matrixbrute.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

a mysterious cloak posted:

The included cable in my Keystep always felt a little shaky, so I bought this right angle micro USB cord and it's been much better:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q9KX17T/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_2anVEb4BYC2PT

I'm not sure that it's plugging into the jack all that more securely, but the fact that it sits at a right angle rather than sticking straight out sure feels more secure.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Izotope are having an impressive plugin sale- $900 worth for...$50. Some are the more limited versions, but the Iris2 synth, Stutteredit, and I think one other are the full versions. Link at the top of their main page. Been having a ball playing with them so far.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

In hindsight, I spent 15 years waiting for computers to get better and 10 years willfully ignoring that they had gotten better.

Word is bond
I'd get more done if I dumped the pile on reverb and replaced it with two ipads and a microphone

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The interest for me lies mostly in the build and design. I've gotten back to breadboarding lately and that's where I lose hours of time.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

new mpc live ii, i was just considering live bc i def lean towards synths a sample makers rather than instruments and finding that i prefer rougher cut drums like oizo or rza. i wonder what the price drops will be for the old model, since i don't think i need most of what's in the new model

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Pillow Face posted:

new mpc live ii

did they fix anything with the OS or did they really just add a big speaker on the bottom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Does anyone have a Novation Summit? I am seriously considering adding to my stable of Synths. Ha, Stable. I have 3. From what I've read, heard, it really looks like something I would love for pads.

I'd love to hear from someone that actually has one and put some time in to it.