Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Is Area 51 2007 worth a look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
2005, yes

the sequel, 100% no

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

At least Duke Nukem Forever has led to two great fan mods - the one made in build engine that has an absolutely fantastic version of Vegas to faff about in.

There's also the DNF mod created in the Serious Sam engine that's also entirely too fun.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
someday, tools and methods will get to a point where a single person will be able to just make their own dnf 1998/2002/2003/2009

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DoombatINC posted:

When early Dirty Bomb development looked like Brink: But We Fixed It And Made You Buy It Again Hahaha Suckers I dropped Splash Damage hard.

...er, wasn't Dirty Bomb F2P from the beginning?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ETPC posted:

someday, tools and methods will get to a point where a single person will be able to just make their own dnf 1998/2002/2003/2009

also I feel like this is already 100% possible with GZDoom letting you basically gently caress with everything

it wouldn't be all that hard to make GZDoom act like basically SuperBUILD with ZScript/ACS and clever map design; nearly every feature it was missing compared to BUILD has been implemented at some point and then some, and stuff like Project Brutality makes it clear you can pull some serious fuckery on the engine if you want to

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
there's something to be said for replicating the visuals of a 3d fps from 1997 though

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...er, wasn't Dirty Bomb F2P from the beginning?

I stopped paying attention long before release so maybe? I just remember a very early hype video where they were walking through what was basically a Brink game mode and explaining how this time they're going to revolutionize the FPS genre by balancing the game they were releasing and then supporting the game post-release with further updates.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ETPC posted:

there's something to be said for replicating the visuals of a 3d fps from 1997 though

well, more specifically, i feel like a theoretical "good DNF" would basically be to Duke 3D what Sonic Mania is to the first three Sonic games: something that's basically in line with what the original did, but with numerous, noticeable straight-up upgrades from it. and the options there would be pretty much "use Ion Maiden's hacked up eDuke" or "use GZDoom and bash it into feeling like Duke with scripting"

that said I feel like making it in the Q1 or Q2 engine is actually reasonably possible nowadays, those engines are open-source (and there's like a fuckjillion different enhanced versions of either) and scripting/making assets for them isn't that much harder than for doom

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DoombatINC posted:

I stopped paying attention long before release so maybe? I just remember a very early hype video where they were walking through what was basically a Brink game mode and explaining how this time they're going to revolutionize the FPS genre by balancing the game they were releasing and then supporting the game post-release with further updates.

on a further look, yeah, Dirty Bomb was always a F2P game

and it seems like basically the genesis of it was that they wanted to fix Brink, but Bethesda didn't care about fixing Brink, so they just went "gently caress you we'll reskin it and find a new publisher and do it anyways" and made Dirty Bomb with Nexon (until 2017, when Splash Damage started their own publishing arm and took the game 100% in-house)

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dirty Bomb was okay. It was Splash Damage still trying to bank off of the Enemy Territory formula, with all of the baggage that came along. It's a real solid gameplay system, but man it sucks to have those massacres that happen when objectives are right next to spawn zones.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Strafe's procedurally generated levels start off pretty neat, but after maybe 3 runs it becomes incredibly samey. The same layouts, the same set pieces. The same few enemies in each area. It could NOT be proc gen and it would barely influence the playing experience.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wasn't there already a mod for Duke3D inspired by early builds and design documents of DNF that turned out to be very good?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mak0rz posted:

Wasn't there already a mod for Duke3D inspired by early builds and design documents of DNF that turned out to be very good?

There was, Duke Nukem Forever 2013, it got mentioned upthread a little bit. I personally thought the bike overstayed its welcome basically from the moment you got on it, and gently caress the bike level, but other than that it was pretty drat solid. It had a "DLC" pack with three more levels, but I personally thought it was pretty bad.

Supposedly there's going to be a rework of it at some point, but I have no idea how that's progressing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dmitri posted:

I also remember being disappointed with Brink, but not really the reason for it. What was people's biggest issue with the game?

Didn't function on my card

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

catlord posted:

There was, Duke Nukem Forever 2013, it got mentioned upthread a little bit. I personally thought the bike overstayed its welcome basically from the moment you got on it, and gently caress the bike level, but other than that it was pretty drat solid. It had a "DLC" pack with three more levels, but I personally thought it was pretty bad.

Supposedly there's going to be a rework of it at some point, but I have no idea how that's progressing.

looks like it's still being worked on

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

ETPC posted:

looks like it's still being worked on

When confirmation that a mod is still being worked on comes from a comment on ModDB, there is a 0% chance the mod is still being worked on.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

dirty bomb was pretty fun but it felt like a weird compromise between fun messy imbalanced early 2000s HL1-mod-derived shooters and weird overdesigned poo poo like overwatch. it felt a little like BC2 style shooting on wolf:ET maps but with a huge roster of stupid premium hero characters that you never knew how to react to because pretty much nobody spent any money on it. i still liked it way more than overwatch

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 10, 2020

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Splash Damage started as the mod team for Quake 3 Fortress. Q3F is where my teenage obsession with first person shooters and online gaming all began. :allears:

I then moved on to RTCW, which was one of the first popular multiplayer FPS games with a class system and objectives. Then naturally moved to Enemy Territory... bringing me back to Splash Damage game. Then a team then ported Q3F over to Enemy Territory too - all comes full circle.

Everything they've made since then has seemed to be ambitious but commercial flops?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

What mods are good for doing a replay of Deus Ex? I'm just looking for quality of life stuff and polishing the edges. Pretty vanilla.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Windmill Hut posted:

Everything they've made since then has seemed to be ambitious but commercial flops?

Welp, Gears Tactics seems to be doing ok.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Windmill Hut posted:

Splash Damage started as the mod team for Quake 3 Fortress. Q3F is where my teenage obsession with first person shooters and online gaming all began. :allears:

I then moved on to RTCW, which was one of the first popular multiplayer FPS games with a class system and objectives. Then naturally moved to Enemy Territory... bringing me back to Splash Damage game. Then a team then ported Q3F over to Enemy Territory too - all comes full circle.

It's really too bad that Quake Wars kind of sucked, it was a cool idea.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, Gears Tactics seems to be Splash Damage's first well-received title in quite a long time. For a long period they were primarily work-for-hire development of forgettable tacked-on multiplayer modes for AAA games, with the occasional ambitious flop punctuating the list. Hopefully this is a turned corner rather than just a blip on the radar!

seriously they made a quake game without gibs, wtf? it had a t rating fer chrissake

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Every time I try a new Deus Ex mod that seems to have some cool sounding tweaks or QoL improvements it always ends up loving with the enemy AI and wrecks the balance of the game. Yeah no I get it, the NPCs in DX aren't the brightest tools in the medicine cabinet....and that's fine. It allows the player room to be flexible in playstyle and experimentation but everything from Shifter to Biomod to GMDX to Vanilla Matters all feel like upping the AI's sight, hearing, and ability to communicate your position to others. It makes the experience more, siiiiigh, "realistic" but significantly less fun and it pisses me off. :mad:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Weird, I don't recall BioMod messing with the AI pretty much at all.

dmitri
Sep 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

DoombatINC posted:

Brink stuff

Oh wow, that sounds like a mess, thanks for the writeup.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Neither Shifter nor Biomod make the AI better at detecting the player, yeah.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

John Murdoch posted:

Mr Murdoch yesss?? (sorry love that movie)

Hrmm I wonder why it feels different then. Maybe I'm secretly a crack zhyme head, who knows.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Mr Murdoch yesss?? (sorry love that movie)

Hrmm I wonder why it feels different then. Maybe I'm secretly a crack zhyme head, who knows.

I don't get people recognizing the name too often. :D

I was bored and actually still had a copy of BioMod sitting around on my desktop so I looked at the readmes and there are a few minor balance changes listed that affect sneaking: You don't turn invisible while using a computer anymore and power legs are noisy even if you're crouched.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/conkface/status/1259300727081615366?s=19

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I didn't think GMDX change enemy AI too bad, but that might be because I had played another mod just before where enemy vision ranges were so large that stealth was literally impossible.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
what port is the best for multiplayer quake 2?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Q2pro. Check out the starter pack at tastyspleen.net.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
ah, ok. i thought so. the fov and mouse input feels......off in that

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Playing MW2 Remastered and man this game really gives me the creeps in a bad way due to how bad a lot of these scenarios have aged. At least they actually show the CIA as scum in this, as opposed to freedom-fighting martyrs in MW 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

Yeah, Gears Tactics seems to be Splash Damage's first well-received title in quite a long time. For a long period they were primarily work-for-hire development of forgettable tacked-on multiplayer modes for AAA games, with the occasional ambitious flop punctuating the list. Hopefully this is a turned corner rather than just a blip on the radar!

seriously they made a quake game without gibs, wtf? it had a t rating fer chrissake

Having a Roger Corman-like niche in the game industry is probably a better business model than going all-or-nothing on a AAA title every year until your studio goes belly up creatively and you get rats leaving the sinking ship before a large publisher devours you for your assets and remaining talent.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Playing MW2 Remastered and man this game really gives me the creeps in a bad way due to how bad a lot of these scenarios have aged. At least they actually show the CIA as scum in this, as opposed to freedom-fighting martyrs in MW 2019

IIRC Infinity Ward really weren't interested in doing a second MW but got forced into it by Activision so just went crazy with set pieces and then strung it all together with sub-clancy nonsense that even an AI bot trained entirely on Steven Seagal movies would reject in shame. It was a fun ride though, the prison escape level is great fun and I also liked the snowmobile bit.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Convex posted:

IIRC Infinity Ward really weren't interested in doing a second MW but got forced into it by Activision so just went crazy with set pieces and then strung it all together with sub-clancy nonsense that even an AI bot trained entirely on Steven Seagal movies would reject in shame. It was a fun ride though, the prison escape level is great fun and I also liked the snowmobile bit.

Oh yeah, I bought it because I played through it a ton years ago. Also, I like that they toned down the accessibility messages like "You Are Hurt. Get to Cover!", but I wish CoD would let me turn off that distracting RELOAD graphic every time you fire more than two bullets out of your gun.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 11, 2020

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

BaconCopter posted:

Strafe's procedurally generated levels start off pretty neat, but after maybe 3 runs it becomes incredibly samey. The same layouts, the same set pieces. The same few enemies in each area. It could NOT be proc gen and it would barely influence the playing experience.

The music is way repetitive too. The art is neat though. I would play it more if there was a map but it's just kind of tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Speaking of Strafe again they just released the final patch and put it on discount. They added mirror chunks for the levels and dropped it down to 2 levels per zone to speed it up, but it's a game where you have to enjoy running through the same piece of environment multiple times getting better and better/ knowing where secrets are. It has a kind of hump that they might of patched out where you get stuck in the first or second level set until you learn the enemies and weapons.

MW2 also had the best co-op mode in a long time, just a whole bunch of hard missions with good variety.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMulS3Er7Os

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 11, 2020