Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: Lol remember when hot poo poo Forbes published an article in 2015 saying the project was out of money?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...s-to-blame/amp/

They're just farming clicks off the sweaty angry gamers who don't know how not to be miserable 24/7

:ironicat:: Yeah the detractors and refund nuts never have facts... Just fud and straight lies.

When you cite or source their arguments they crumple like toilet paper. That's why they don't allow crossposting and such anymore. (Turns out hate groups implode like they did last year too....)

:reddit:: The refunds subreddit is still claiming that the funding will dry up any moment now. The last one was apparently that covid 19 would stop anyone from buying the game because they would all be too poor to afford it.

:ironicat:: Yup. They are still throwing the same stories...

Classic fud and lies.

They block anyone who argues with their worldview

They are just a hate group

Hate hate hate! Have you had your daily hate today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Chief Fraud Officer

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

To be fair a lot of people have predicted the end of funding at various times, but what people don't factor in is the sunk cost galaxy effect. The backers know that CIG is on the edge and that they need money coming in so they keep throwing money at them. I don't see this stopping anytime soon.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Get to know Firesprite, a new CIG contractor.

Hey all, Bootcha here. In this edition of Open Game Development, I'd like to introduce you to a new CIG contractor: Firesprite.

First off, where did Firesprite come from? Well, in the CIG UK Companies House, there was a posting of a Resolution of Articles of Association on 11 FEB 2020: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history
In that resolution, on page 11, was a new company I had not seen before: VGDC Lienholding LLC. VGDC, or "Video Game Development Company", is documented as part of the US Group of CIG. That would mean nothing on it's own, as CIG has a slew of shell companies.

However, it turns out this VGDC shows up in a loan charge dated about 2 years ago, the exact amount is not known or cited, to a company in Manchester, UK. This new unknown company is called Icesprite: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11031090/charges/OVECHyeOoxHfI4Pl5r-pyaNZM-Q
Icesprite, is owned by Firesprite: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08240765
Firespite, is a gamedev studio in Liverpool, UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesprite
Now, before you go "GASP FUUUUUUUUUUUCK", that's a completely different Chris Roberts at Firesprite. That was a short lived chuckle. Firesprite also made the VR game "Persistance". https://youtu.be/Tpcu9OU-LH8

A recent tweet pointed out a list of 140+ development partners working on games for the Xbox Series X.
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1258688498879651842
In that list, you will find Firesprite. Also, that CI Games is not CIG, that's a Polish gamedev, that'd be a hell of a swing even for Roberts. The Star Citizen Roberts.

Now before ya'll swing into hyper-speculation mode, know that I have done that for you, and I have come to a few possible conclusions that seem the most likely:
- Firesprite is working on tools and/or tech for CIG. VR stands out as a distinct possibility for tech CIG desires. This is the most likely option and safest bet.
- Firesprite is working on a console release candidate for SQ42. This is a less likely but possible option, as a console release of SQ42 would make sales in a market CIG has not touched previously.
- Firesprite is working on a console release candidate for Theaters of War. This one is admittedly a comedy option, but considering if you're looking for a launch title, ToW is probably closer to completion than SQ42 by Holiday 2020.

Be sure to welcome Firesprite and Icesprite to the CIG and Star Citizen family when CIG eventually reveals this 2018 partnership.

:argh: If CIG is greed grabbing for a console port I will enjoy the hellspawn shitstorm and burn all my ships to fuel the heat. PCMR.

:gary: :lol:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Get to know Firesprite, a new CIG contractor.

Hey all, Bootcha here. In this edition of Open Game Development, I'd like to introduce you to a new CIG contractor: Firesprite.

First off, where did Firesprite come from? Well, in the CIG UK Companies House, there was a posting of a Resolution of Articles of Association on 11 FEB 2020: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history
In that resolution, on page 11, was a new company I had not seen before: VGDC Lienholding LLC. VGDC, or "Video Game Development Company", is documented as part of the US Group of CIG. That would mean nothing on it's own, as CIG has a slew of shell companies.

However, it turns out this VGDC shows up in a loan charge dated about 2 years ago, the exact amount is not known or cited, to a company in Manchester, UK. This new unknown company is called Icesprite: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11031090/charges/OVECHyeOoxHfI4Pl5r-pyaNZM-Q
Icesprite, is owned by Firesprite: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08240765
Firespite, is a gamedev studio in Liverpool, UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesprite
Now, before you go "GASP FUUUUUUUUUUUCK", that's a completely different Chris Roberts at Firesprite. That was a short lived chuckle. Firesprite also made the VR game "Persistance". https://youtu.be/Tpcu9OU-LH8

A recent tweet pointed out a list of 140+ development partners working on games for the Xbox Series X.
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1258688498879651842
In that list, you will find Firesprite. Also, that CI Games is not CIG, that's a Polish gamedev, that'd be a hell of a swing even for Roberts. The Star Citizen Roberts.

Now before ya'll swing into hyper-speculation mode, know that I have done that for you, and I have come to a few possible conclusions that seem the most likely:
- Firesprite is working on tools and/or tech for CIG. VR stands out as a distinct possibility for tech CIG desires. This is the most likely option and safest bet.
- Firesprite is working on a console release candidate for SQ42. This is a less likely but possible option, as a console release of SQ42 would make sales in a market CIG has not touched previously.
- Firesprite is working on a console release candidate for Theaters of War. This one is admittedly a comedy option, but considering if you're looking for a launch title, ToW is probably closer to completion than SQ42 by Holiday 2020.

Be sure to welcome Firesprite and Icesprite to the CIG and Star Citizen family when CIG eventually reveals this 2018 partnership.

:argh: If CIG is greed grabbing for a console port I will enjoy the hellspawn shitstorm and burn all my ships to fuel the heat. PCMR.

VR at at most, what, 50 FPS? Backer money well spent.

Another option is they are just doing barebones ToW for PC and that is it. Console stuff may be totally unrelated to SC.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

SigENeaT posted:

Is there a goon Star Citizen group?

I signed up during the original multi-level marketing IPO but have never touched the client... figure I better make use of this horrible debt at some stage and it's always better playing with other messed up people.

From seven (7) years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwjj4e1VRfc

I think they gave six (6) years ago...

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Quavers posted:

:reddit: [i]Get to know Firesprite, a new CIG contractor.

This opens the way for the 'it was the other Chris Roberts !' defense, a brilliant move.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

CeeJee posted:

This opens the way for the 'it was the other Chris Roberts !' defense, a brilliant move.

:five:

:trustme: Who is Chris Roberts anyway?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Trilobite posted:

He's the CFO (Chief Fidelity Officer) and according to him, everything is perfectly normal and going exactly as it should.

(Except for all the green things that need to be made blue, or vice versa. But that's normal, too! One look at this game and you know it's designed by a perfectionist!)
I wonder whether CR realized some time ago that not even 300 million dollars and 600 people can after 8 years materialize his 'vision'

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 10, 2020

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

MedicineHut posted:

VR at at most, what, 50 FPS? Backer money well spent.

Another option is they are just doing barebones ToW for PC and that is it. Console stuff may be totally unrelated to SC.

That's my suspicion as well.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
A second Chris Roberts and another CIG? I have truly awoken to a world of poo poo.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Quavers posted:

:five:

:trustme: Who is Chris Roberts anyway?

A shell company that enjoys turtles being naked for as long as possible until they perfect the perfect shell game.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Dwesa posted:

I wonder whether CR realized some time ago that not even 300 million dollars and 600 people can after 8 years materialize metastasize his 'vision'

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

Hate hate hate! Have you had your daily hate today?

:reddit:: Perfectly normal, healthy behavior to stalk fans and collect newspaper clippings about a fan forum for a video game because you don't think the video game is very good.

I see it as less sad and more a serious cause for concern.

:mad:: To be honest i dont take them serious at all they are as dangerous as a box full of kittens to anyone or any game, the real danger is to there own mental health. A few of them are actually already broken or on the brink to brake just imagine what happens when the one of the game is released lol. The only one smart enough to leave that place was yo2momma as he got brutally humiliated as he proclaimed DS gospel at crytec was right and so was DS and the lawsuit was going directly in crytecs favor , the rest of them just keep vomiting bullshit with no strings to reality what so ewer.
They doo deliver good comedy though :-P

:argh:: To me they represent a much bigger and wider problem; they are propagators of misinformation and outrage culture

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes, we do have an outraged cat that posts here.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: Perfectly normal, healthy behavior to stalk fans and collect newspaper clippings about a fan forum for a video game because you don't think the video game is very good.

I see it as less sad and more a serious cause for concern.

:mad:: To be honest i dont take them serious at all they are as dangerous as a box full of kittens to anyone or any game, the real danger is to there own mental health. A few of them are actually already broken or on the brink to brake just imagine what happens when the one of the game is released lol. The only one smart enough to leave that place was yo2momma as he got brutally humiliated as he proclaimed DS gospel at crytec was right and so was DS and the lawsuit was going directly in crytecs favor , the rest of them just keep vomiting bullshit with no strings to reality what so ewer.
They doo deliver good comedy though :-P

:argh:: To me they represent a much bigger and wider problem; they are propagators of misinformation and outrage culture

I’m so loving unhinged and deranged that I... make fun of the bad space game.

Throw me in space jail, I’ve committed the most heinous crime imaginable.

You know it’s not like SC is the laughing stock of the wider gaming community, among both consumers and developers; and we’re just the small subset of that overwhelming majority who follow this dumpster fire on a daily/weekly basis.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I hear that a great way to counter misinformation is to actually release a thing that disproves the misinformation.

They should look into that

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Dementropy posted:

Post pics of urself with ur video game newspaper clippings

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
We can only pray that the people talking about misinformation are being paid to do so, because if there are fans out there like that, having that much irony in your bloodstream is not healthy.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Danknificent posted:

We can only pray that the people talking about misinformation are being paid to do so, because if there are fans out there like that, having that much irony in your bloodstream is not healthy.

It might be possible to counter it with a high enough level of argon.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Hey, does anyone have a full list of all the CIG buzzwords that were touted as the next great thing that they were going to implement in the near future? I can only remember the recent things: Object container streaming, SOCKS, Subsumption, etc.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Viscous Soda posted:

Hey, does anyone have a full list of all the CIG buzzwords that were touted as the next great thing that they were going to implement in the near future? I can only remember the recent things: Object container streaming, SOCKS, Subsumption, etc.

Inacio posted:

- early days
- they're still opening studios
- they're still hiring developers
- the espresso machine broke
- they're training the barista on how to use JIRA
- the custom door broke
- early days
- chris told everyone to visit his office and praise his desk for 10-15 minutes
- they're still getting the workflows online
- they're working on SSOCS
- early days
- coronavirus happened and they had to adjust
- they're waiting on iCache
- NEW! 95% of the devs are focusing on SQ42 at the moment, it's coming out this year, that's why SC is slowing down

i'm certain i missed some

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Serialised Variables ran for quite a while.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost
Subsumption AI. Not sure if we ever saw that one. Probably waiting on the bartender rework.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost
Quantum Economy appears to be one of the live ones. Any month now!

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost
Render to Texture of course finally unblocked all of the amazing remote conversation and live news broadcasting features we've seen over the last year.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Inacio posted:

i'm certain i missed some

My favorite recent one is that all of January was really just a “planning month” and we can’t really expect any actual development work to have been done.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 10, 2020

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost
Some poo poo about holograms maybe?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Bind Culling, Mega Map, 64 Bit Positioning, Nested Physics Grids, Items 2.0, Persistence v1 (Alpha 2.4), Object Container Streaming, Server-Side Object Container Streaming, Subsumption, Quantum, iCache, Render To Texture, Secondary Viewports, Static Server Meshing, Dynamic Server Meshing, Serialized Variables

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

My favorite recent one is that all of January was really just a “planning month” and we can’t really expect any actual development work to have been.

Oh yeah, that was a good one. 1/12 of the year without development because everyone is waiting around for managment to make plans.

This is clearly how a good games development company works.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

Quavers posted:

Bind Culling, Mega Map, 64 Bit Positioning, Nested Physics Grids, Items 2.0, Persistence v1 (Alpha 2.4), Object Container Streaming, Server-Side Object Container Streaming, Subsumption, Quantum, iCache, Render To Texture, Secondary Viewports, Static Server Meshing, Dynamic Server Meshing, Serialized Variables

What a shitshow.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
render to texture was my fave because the backers absolutely insisted that it was some incredible new technique and nothing at ll like what happens in Half Life 2 with Breens broadcasts, and has been in games for decades.
Then it was shown in a 30 second video to absolutely be exactly that, but in true CI¬G fashion, it was broken anyway :v:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Viscous Soda posted:

PIPELINES

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

"iCache" - Chris "I only accept cash" Roberts

marumaru
May 20, 2013

bbchops posted:

Render to Texture of course finally unblocked all of the amazing remote conversation and live news broadcasting features we've seen over the last year.

CrotchView technology

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
uint46

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Oh yeah, that was a good one. 1/12 of the year without development because everyone is waiting around for managment to make plans.

yeah but come on, who could expect christmas to happen between two years
after such an unexpeted event you need to re-evaluate, re-delegate and re-donutgate all over again

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Daztek posted:

"iCache" - Chris "I only accept cash" Roberts

I’m just waiting for the day that CIG only exists as a P.O. Box in the Cayman Islands, but still brings in low 7 figures a year. Maybe sometime around 2030?

“Send us $1200 in unmarked cash and we’ll email you an 8K image of an Idris!”

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 10, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

I’ve seen some really broken brained Citizens take this argument even further. They’ll throw in the entire month of December, the months leading up to CitCon and the month of CitCon itself, and call it all a wash. So really CIG only has 6-7 months out of a year to get any real work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

colonelwest posted:

I’ve seen some really broken brained Citizens take this argument even further. They’ll throw in the entire month of December, the months leading up to CitCon and the month of CitCon itself, and call it all a wash. So really CIG only has 6-7 months out of a year to get any real work done.

Yeah but extrapolate 24/7 development across 5 studios around the globe and that comes out to 30-70 months in a year.