Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

LG 27GL83A-B 27 inch

I’m getting the prices from this (and the previous replies in the thread): https://www.nowinstock.net/full_historydetails/853/44783/

Huh, weird. Thank you. A bargain if I can get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I need a sanity check

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/LCDMonitors?FilterID=0b74a51b-7903-7eb9-4bac-f6835c8c5768

My options are the UltraGear 27GL850, the EX2780Q, or the XG270HU if I want to keep my budget under ~700 CAD, right?

Am I missing anything, or are one of those other cheaper ones going to be good enough?

This is mainly for gaming, 1050TI that I could be upgrading in the future, FPS, MOBA, the regular garbage.

EDIT:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for in a monitor, but I feel like I should point out the XG270HU is a TN screen while the others are IPS.

144Hz, 27inch, G/FreeSync (if im understanding correctly free works with everything while g is nvidia only?), better cost-to-performance ratio, avoiding "this monitor frequently explodes/powersurges/develops dead pixels"

life_source fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 9, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

life_source posted:

I need a sanity check

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/LCDMonitors?FilterID=0b74a51b-7903-7eb9-4bac-f6835c8c5768

My options are the UltraGear 27GL850, the EX2780Q, or the XG270HU if I want to keep my budget under ~700 CAD, right?

Am I missing anything, or are one of those other cheaper ones going to be good enough?

This is mainly for gaming, 1050TI that I could be upgrading in the future, FPS, MOBA, the regular garbage.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for in a monitor, but I feel like I should point out the XG270HU is a TN screen while the others are IPS.

nerox
May 20, 2001

LG 27GL83A-B 27 inch

I’m getting the prices from this (and the previous replies in the thread): https://www.nowinstock.net/full_historydetails/853/44783/

Thanks for this, just got one ordered.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

nerox posted:

Thanks for this, just got one ordered.

I missed out 😭

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
This was just released, but I’m not finding it anywhere in stock. It ticks all the boxes I need for my low vision.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Non-Glare-FreeSync-Optix-MAG301CR/dp/B087M7CRVC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Optix+MAG301CR&qid=1589120418&sr=8-1

Also, why VA over IPS for having to sit 6-8 inches away from the screen?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
VA vs IPS will be a tradeoff for you. IPS has better consistency from different angles (and being so close, you're experiencing a lot of that), but VA has better blacks and tends to be more dimmable in general, which is probably more important for eye strain when you're so close to the monitor.

Honestly dude I think we're at the point where availability has become so bad that your best option is to ride it out for another couple months until stock normalizes again and you can actually go visit stores and look at things that will give you some basis for comparison.

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican
Having trouble snagging the LG 27GL83A off Amazon even with the NowInStock notifications beaming at me. I live nearby a Microcenter and noticed they have the Acer Nitro VG271U:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/623670/acer-nitro-vg271u-pbmiipx-27-wqhd-144hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-hdr-400-led-gaming-monitor

Meets the specs I'm looking for which is 27", IPS and 144Hz refresh rate. It's also HDR400 but that seems to not matter as much from what I've read here.

Does anyone have an opinion on it and how it stacks up to the 27GL83A? Or are there better options sold at Microcenters I should consider over it?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's not as good of a monitor, particularly in terms of response time, but it isn't a horrible buy if you're impatient and willing to overpay a bit for a generally worse product.

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

Thanks for the response! Aren't they both 1ms response time? Or am I missing some other aspect here?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Liquid Banjo posted:

Thanks for the response! Aren't they both 1ms response time? Or am I missing some other aspect here?

Listed response times are all but meaningless, because there's no single agreed upon way to measure it. So you end up with stat boxes claiming "1ms" and not mentioning that that's only for a certain type of transition, while others might be more like 50-100ms (VA panels, in particular, are often guilty of that).

You really need to look at an in-depth review from someone like TFTCentral to get a solid idea of what the actual performance is like, sadly.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

1ms is marketing bullshit, no LCD actually responds in 1ms on a consistent basis, but the LG is significantly faster. The 27GL83A is essentially a 27GL850 without a USB hub, and I'm pretty sure this is fundamentally the same VG271U although Acer's monitors are named by the love child of Hitler and Stalin so you can never really be sure. The LG panel and the way it's tuned in the 27GL83A/27GL850 is particularly impressive, the Innolux panel used in the VG271U is the slowest of the current 27" 144hz IPS panels in every implementation. Consider that a 1 frame at 144hz is just under 7ms, so the VG271U can't quiiiite keep up while the LG monitor is pretty well paced, although the overdrive tuning for lower refresh rates is not as ideal as some other monitors.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
LG 27GL83A are back in stock again, just grabbed one. I used the VisualPing extension in Chrome on the Amazon page that nowinstock links you to and got it as soon as it went up. (But made sure to go through the nowinstock link just so they got some money for it :) )

edit: The messaging when you order atm is 'Back-ordered. Due in stock May 17', for reference.

edit2: and they're gone again. It's definitely like a 5-6 minute window right now. Given nowinstock's alerting lag (I think it says in most places it checks every 5 minutes or so), you're going to be cutting it pretty close if you rely on it alone, at least for now.

jkyuusai fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 10, 2020

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1560683-REG/lg_27gn950_b_27_ultragear_4k_nano.html

Reasonably priced. Not $2000. No hdmi 2.1 though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

jkyuusai posted:

LG 27GL83A are back in stock again, just grabbed one. I used the VisualPing extension in Chrome on the Amazon page that nowinstock links you to and got it as soon as it went up. (But made sure to go through the nowinstock link just so they got some money for it :) )

edit: The messaging when you order atm is 'Back-ordered. Due in stock May 17', for reference.

edit2: and they're gone again. It's definitely like a 5-6 minute window right now. Given nowinstock's alerting lag (I think it says in most places it checks every 5 minutes or so), you're going to be cutting it pretty close if you rely on it alone, at least for now.

I tried placing it in my cart like 5 times and it never did :(

Sad days

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm looking to replace my triplet of CFL-lit 24" 16:10 monitors as they're getting on ten years old and the power draw / desk footprint is too big. I'd like to buy something absolutely top of the line, 4K+ ultrawide and high / variable refresh with good colour accuracy. Ideally, upscaled 1080p content will look good too. The idea behind ultrawide is that I can get two normal-sized windows side-by-side when working and still see a browser / etc outside a game window that's running 16:9.

What are my options? Does such a display even exist inside four figures? I don't care if I have to buy a 2080Ti to power it (was going to anyway as this PC is on a 1070 from 2016 and is due for a mid-life refresh).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I tried placing it in my cart like 5 times and it never did :(

Sad days

Yeah same, tried both on desktop and mobile. Definitely a run on these when they come up.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I'm looking to replace my triplet of CFL-lit 24" 16:10 monitors as they're getting on ten years old and the power draw / desk footprint is too big. I'd like to buy something absolutely top of the line, 4K+ ultrawide and high / variable refresh with good colour accuracy. Ideally, upscaled 1080p content will look good too. The idea behind ultrawide is that I can get two normal-sized windows side-by-side when working and still see a browser / etc outside a game window that's running 16:9.

What are my options? Does such a display even exist inside four figures? I don't care if I have to buy a 2080Ti to power it (was going to anyway as this PC is on a 1070 from 2016 and is due for a mid-life refresh).

The monitors you are looking for do not exist period. Maybe late this year/early next year we'll get some 4k gaming monitors worth buying, 4k ultrawide probably not for years. The best 4k display you can buy right now is an LG OLED TV, but the smallest one is 55" and they still have a few compromises. If you need a gaming monitor now, the smart thing to do is buy one of the ~$350ish 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitors everyone else is buying and sell it when good 4k displays come out. Personally as someone with an ultrawide I'll tell you just don't, even if you don't care about the money it's not really an alternative to two monitors, and when I move to 4k I'll be going back to dual 16:9 over 21:9+16:9. Others will disagree.

The closest thing to what you're looking for right now is the LG 38GL950G, which is 3840x1600 160hz, but at $1600 and facing so much short-term value loss it's the sort of thing you buy if you have enough money that you can just throw it in the trash in 2 years and not care.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 10, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Since I'm not even sure I'll be able to get it now, can anyone recommend a comparable monitor to the LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch?

My graphics card is: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 10, 2020

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

Thanks for the responses. I found that my Microcenter has the ASUS TUF VG27AQ for $429 so I might just pull the trigger on it since I'm an impatient bastard at this point.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

RTings has it above the 27GL83A and it meets all the specs. If any of you have one and found problems with it, please clue me in :)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

At that price it's not that bad. The issues with it are that it has no fix for the sleep issue, which is really obnoxious, and the overdrive calibration is really not what I'd consider good for a premium product. The major advantage it has is being able to turn on the backlight pulsing even with VRR, which conceptually really cool, but it only sorta works well. I wouldn't do it, but it's your money.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Since I'm not even sure I'll be able to get it now, can anyone recommend a comparable monitor to the LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch?

My graphics card is: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X

The "easy" answer is the 27GL850 since it's the same monitor with extra features but that's a ~120 bucks more for USB ports and a wider color gamut through DCI-P3 which isn't really beneficial for games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The "easy" answer is the 27GL850 since it's the same monitor with extra features but that's a ~120 bucks more for USB ports and a wider color gamut through DCI-P3 which isn't really beneficial for games.

Might just say it gently caress it and do this. Thanks for the help!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I recently upgraded to a 2080 RTX and a Ryzen 5 3600, and I'm looking for a monitor that can utilize some of that power. I currently have a BenQ G2450, 24" 1920x1080 and 70hz (I think). My current monitor is fine, and I don't need a bunch of bips and bobs; I just want something a bit stronger.

The three I've narrowed it down to are:
the Asus VG27BQ
the LG 27GL850-B
and the BenQ EX2780Q

I was leaning towards the BenQ since it's the middleman as far as price is concerned and I trust BenQ as a brand, but I'd like the expert's opinions.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Maple Leaf posted:

I recently upgraded to a 2080 RTX and a Ryzen 5 3600, and I'm looking for a monitor that can utilize some of that power. I currently have a BenQ G2450, 24" 1920x1080 and 70hz (I think). My current monitor is fine, and I don't need a bunch of bips and bobs; I just want something a bit stronger.

The three I've narrowed it down to are:
the Asus VG27BQ
the LG 27GL850-B
and the BenQ EX2780Q

I was leaning towards the BenQ since it's the middleman as far as price is concerned and I trust BenQ as a brand, but I'd like the expert's opinions.

Not sure if you mean the VG27AQ instead of the BQ. BQ is a TN panel while the AQ is IPS like the other 2 monitors in your list.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I'm going to prefer TN panel: I don't do graphic design work and my desk layout only allows for one monitor and only lets me sit directly in front of it anyway. I was hoping to use it for gaming, half for PC gaming and half for my Switch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nobody prefers a TN panel but it's a reasonable compromise if the quality of the image isn't as important to you.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just randomly refreshed and got the LG monitor at 370 holy poo poo. God drat what a saga that was

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are IPS down to like $80 now, and up to 280hz if you really think you are losing at shooty gamez cause of the monitor (it is not that) and you want to prove it to yourself.

There are exceedingly few reasons to consider a TN in 2020, imo.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I just wanted to look at pretty graphics and maybe save a buck, but thanks for assuming.

I guess I'll go with the BenQ in that case?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You could just read like 2 pages of the thread. It's pretty much always talking about the monitors you should be looking at. Canadian pricing and availability is a fuckfest but the ideal monitors are the same. The BenQ isn't bad, do not buy a TN monitor though. You may be able to do significantly better on price with more shopping around but IDK.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 11, 2020

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
IPS screens are good to about 180 Hz these days, past that the pixel response time (~5 MS) can't keep up regardless of what the refresh rate is. A 240 or 280 Hz IPS isn't going to keep up and is going to smear out almost as bad as a VA. Even the faster TNs are barely holding the image together at 240 Hz. Really any LCD past about 100 Hz is spending more time transitioning pixels between frames than they are spending displaying the finished frames, the technology just isn't built for this.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I upgraded to IPS from TN and was blown away. I did not think the difference would be as noticeable, and now I can never go back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taima posted:

You can get a B9 with hdmi 2.1 and all the trimmings for $1,200... it’s fine

Yeah, if only they came smaller than 55”...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Finally got my order in for the LG 27GL83A. Thanks Tab Reloader!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Looking at this Acer to replace my current 32" Vizio HDTV that's doing double duty as a monitor.

Acer Monitor

Obviously I'm not a monitor aficionado and anything would be an improvement over what I've got. But for the price this seems too good to be true? Or maybe I've just been out of the monitor game for too long. There's complaints about ghosting on VA panels, but is it that big a deal?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Glass of Milk posted:

Looking at this Acer to replace my current 32" Vizio HDTV that's doing double duty as a monitor.

Acer Monitor

Obviously I'm not a monitor aficionado and anything would be an improvement over what I've got. But for the price this seems too good to be true? Or maybe I've just been out of the monitor game for too long. There's complaints about ghosting on VA panels, but is it that big a deal?

IMO a VA panel isn't a smart buy in tyool 2020. It's not as fast as TN is, but it's color reproduction isn't as great as IPS, and for anything other than turbonerd pro gamers, high refresh IPS can hang with TN for the most part with much better color accuracy.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, if only they came smaller than 55”...

48 inch coming for 1500 in June. Value prop isn’t fantastic but it’s an option.

Personally I just hook my rig up to a desktop monitor for regular pc things and games that require a mouse, while using the 65 inch C9 as a second monitor for controller-based gaming.

Most of my gaming involves a controller so it works well for me, YMMV.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheDK posted:

I upgraded to IPS from TN and was blown away. I did not think the difference would be as noticeable, and now I can never go back.
The more things change...

IPS > VA > TN is a huge jump at each step up and has been since I got my first 17" Planar (in that weird 5:4 res I can't even remember).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

IPS screens are good to about 180 Hz these days, past that the pixel response time (~5 MS) can't keep up regardless of what the refresh rate is. A 240 or 280 Hz IPS isn't going to keep up and is going to smear out almost as bad as a VA. Even the faster TNs are barely holding the image together at 240 Hz. Really any LCD past about 100 Hz is spending more time transitioning pixels between frames than they are spending displaying the finished frames, the technology just isn't built for this.
Some of the 240Hz ips panels can do 240Hz pretty well. rtings review of one. It's slower than the new TN panels, but the numbers seem fine for 240Hz and rtings seems enthusiastic about it. This is true in all of their 240Hz ips panel reviews to the point they recommend them over 240Hz TN except at 25" and 1440p where they still recommend TN.

The newer TN panels can do ~480Hz at <1080p resolution and ~360Hz at 1080p. But I haven't seen monitor manufacturers go for that yet outside of the announced 360Hz panels. I plan on picking one up when they come out.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 11, 2020