Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

shovelbum posted:

What's going to happen to pet food

going back to feeding them table scraps, bones, and other things humans don't eat like we did for the 15,000 years before pet food existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lady Militant posted:

going back to feeding them table scraps, bones, and other things humans don't eat like we did for the 15,000 years before pet food existed?

The average urban household didn't have 200+ lbs of dog to feed

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Lady Militant posted:

that's what pet food is. it's the organ meat and such that's already kinda going bad and isn't considered safe for human consumption, so they grind it up and pack it together into nutrient cubes

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Hundreds of people don’t stand shoulder to shoulder all day long at pet food plants so it should be more like every other area of manufacturing. It might break down but it isn’t the same as meat packing places.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Admiral Ray posted:

my costco was entirely out of non-breaded chicken today. there wasn't even a spot for it in the coolers or freezers.

"welp time to crucify myself in the costco parking lot!"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

The Archaic posted:

wandering around costco for hours, calling out for chicken. the mployees try to force me to leave but i know my rights.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SKULL.GIF posted:

pet food

food pets

People food

Food people

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

fosborb posted:

rural communities absolutely believe this is a city disease.

it'll spread to them slowly because they're already practicing social isolation just by virtue of not being around nearly as many other people, but it's going to take one kid coming home from college, or one trip to the farm & fleet or whatever, and it will just loving rip through them because they're still doing all of the old activities which generally involves groups of people spending extended periods of time together in indoor environments (quilting, drinking, churching, etc)

i once caught a cold on a flight to visit my rural family and within a week like a dozen people had it.

airlines are still overbooking and cramming people into random flights

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/is-flying-safe-coronavirus/611335/

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Siberia is also way more on fire than usual. Like million acre+ megafires already this year.

sweet let's throw a Permian–Triassic extinction event onto the pile

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Admiral Ray posted:

that's what pet food is. it's the organ meat and such that's already kinda going bad and isn't considered safe for human consumption, so they grind it up and pack it together into nutrient cubes

mhmmm

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

Hundreds of people don’t stand shoulder to shoulder all day long at pet food plants so it should be more like every other area of manufacturing. It might break down but it isn’t the same as meat packing places.

It relies on a constant volume of animals being slaughtered tho

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So have we seen a non meat plant rural outbreak yet or are the chuds probably safe despite our wishes

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

dog food isn't bad, tbh. pretty bland. dog treats taste like actual cardboard. i suggest adding salt or bbq sauce. cat food is gross.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My mom is going to be really disappointed when I can't visit for Christmas because of corona-chan

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Feel free. I'm updating it later today to hang longer on the last frame and dot the projection parts of it.

Cool
I've posted a lot of words on https://realgoodcovidtracker.com/projections/ and will add more when I find that takedown of the older IHME projections

if I can get cspam's death estimate published somewhere, all this effort will be worth it

realgoodcovidtracker.com

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Admiral Ray posted:

cat food is gross.

My roommate concurs. I think it smells like Vienna sausages, and those are pretty good.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

shovelbum posted:

So have we seen a non meat plant rural outbreak yet or are the chuds probably safe despite our wishes

A bunch of plants around here have had cases but other than meatpacking plants it’s been sporadic.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Charun posted:

Cool
I've posted a lot of words on https://realgoodcovidtracker.com/projections/ and will add more when I find that takedown of the older IHME projections

if I can get cspam's death estimate published somewhere, all this effort will be worth it

:tipshat:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

A bunch of plants around here have had cases but other than meatpacking plants it’s been sporadic.

Yeah I think it probably will end up being a city disease honestly the kind of prolonged mass indoor contact at work just seems like not something you see in extractive industry or agriculture or whatever rurals do

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

my cats are annoying enough about food

can't wait to return to ye olde days of them screaming at me to toss them a pheasant bone or whatever

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Lady Militant posted:

they weren't "pets" back then, they were working animals and often got their own food. "pets" are just things upper middle class and rich people have to pamper so the money does not get spent on poors

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Art Laffer lol the guy that has been hilariously wrong with every idea he has ever had

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

shovelbum posted:

It relies on a constant volume of animals being slaughtered tho

a lot of that is dead stock, p sure the farmer who slaughter t he dead animal can still sell it to dead stock processors

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Charun posted:

Cool

This is getting cooler by the day

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MysteriousStranger posted:

they weren't "pets" back then, they were working animals and often got their own food. "pets" are just things upper middle class and rich people have to pamper so the money does not get spent on poors

If they get their own food I get yelled at for letting them kill birds!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Yeah I think it probably will end up being a city disease honestly the kind of prolonged mass indoor contact at work just seems like not something you see in extractive industry or agriculture or whatever rurals do

church

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

shovelbum posted:

in a lot of these areas the whole rugged loner hermit thing is just an affectation. They'll catch it crammed into a TJ Maxx or Wal Mart or diner and their sense of invulnerability will lead to big vectors like theaters and church services staying open to make up for the lack of density. The only reason numbers would stay down is because there's also probably no testing or ICU beds

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Siberia is also way more on fire than usual. Like million acre+ megafires already this year.

Aren't there legit fears that the permafrost tundra melting could unleash dormant viruses? I seem to remember reading about French scientists there defrosting samples from an ice core and viruses that had been dormant for 30,000 years sprang back to life and began reproducing once they reached room temperature.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

this is a lovely time but as we live on hell on earth i can get some happiness from slowly working my way through a modernized doom 2 hell on earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8tN6eisAY

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

in a lot of these areas the whole rugged loner hermit thing is just an affectation. They'll catch it crammed into a TJ Maxx or Wal Mart or diner and their sense of invulnerability will lead to big vectors like theaters and church services staying open to make up for the lack of density. The only reason numbers would stay down is because there's also probably no testing or ICU beds

You're not in those places 10 hours a day like you are at an office or whatever though, it's just a lot less opportunity to spread

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

MysteriousStranger posted:

the idea only middle class and rich people have things they care about and take care of is downright sociopathic as well as completely a-historical. having a cats or dogs wasn't some massive extravagance or pure exercise in cold blooded logic. they have been a part of our journey throughout history as friends/companions helping us as we help them. stop projecting your own inability to connect with other living things on people lol

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

BMX Ninja posted:

Aren't there legit fears that the permafrost tundra melting could unleash dormant viruses? I seem to remember reading about French scientists there defrosting samples from an ice core and viruses that had been dormant for 30,000 years sprang back to life and began reproducing once they reached room temperature.

idk maybe but viruses need a host to reproduce. maybe some dormant do bacteria are in there. those areas that are burning have very low to no population any way.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

shovelbum posted:

You're not in those places 10 hours a day like you are at an office or whatever though, it's just a lot less opportunity to spread

yeah but there's also zero effort or will to prevent spread so it probably evens out, church services are a huge vector because it's cramped and enclosed and also singing generates the same droplet density that coughing does

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

The Archaic posted:

Colorado Costcos usually get 143,000 cases of meat. they got 93,000 this week

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

BMX Ninja posted:

the thing about a virus for it to be successful is it can't just instantly liquefy the host or else it won't be able to spread as people tend to react quite aggressively to people getting all melty outa nowhere. a dormant super virus that eats yah like a boomer chowing down at a golden corral isn't going to be able to make it outside of the Siberian region.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BMX Ninja posted:

this was a tv show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egy3n-7DQAU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

BMX Ninja posted:

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/09/02/1510795112.abstract

quote:

The saga of giant viruses (i.e. visible by light microscopy) started in 2003 with the discovery of Mimivirus. Two additional types of giant viruses infecting Acanthamoeba have been discovered since: the Pandoraviruses (2013) and Pithovirus sibericum (2014), the latter one revived from 30,000-y-old Siberian permafrost. We now describe Mollivirus sibericum, a fourth type of giant virus isolated from the same permafrost sample. These four types of giant virus exhibit different virion structures, sizes (0.6–1.5 µm), genome length (0.6–2.8 Mb), and replication cycles. Their origin and mode of evolution are the subject of conflicting hypotheses. The fact that two different viruses could be easily revived from prehistoric permafrost should be of concern in a context of global warming.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Charun posted:

Cool

Made my updates.

And why the hell not.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Crusader posted:

The fact that two different viruses could be easily revived from prehistoric permafrost should be of concern in a context of global warming.

Trump Intensifies: "We have to sue the dinosaurs!" *Gives banks Trillions of dollars*

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Schnorkles posted:

i mean i also agree that the state should arrest bill gates and seize all his assets but not for the same reason as the protestors

:same: and all billionaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
if i were assaulted by a pteradon at some fantastical 'jurassic world' i would simply sue the dinosaur in a court of law

yes they are gigntic superpredators but theyw ould be no match for our modern judicial system