Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

MysteriousStranger posted:

they weren't "pets" back then, they were working animals and often got their own food. "pets" are just things upper middle class and rich people have to pamper so the money does not get spent on poors

take a chill pill tovarisch some rescue houses give dogs to homeless people and it causes problems bc the homeless people sometimes go without food so they can feed the dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

pets provide companionship which is absolutely a valuable service in this time of increasing isolation (even before the lock down)

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/ahmadfayez2020/status/1258812640534638592?s=21

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Phi230 posted:

If you give it an hour or so, you'll see the "bred for war in the pits of the ghetto" takes popping up here shortly

Thanks for the advance warning. I'll take this as an opportunity to log off for the evening.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
wirelessly hacking the restaraunt robot to bring me all the booze orders

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
bunch of jackasses who have never bonded with a dog ITT. Maybe got snapped at by one for being a piece of poo poo at some point

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

goddam

just seeing that mkes me think about how over time that ugly thing turned into peacocks & turkeys & eagles

but pigs will always b pigs

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
pitbulls are rad and chill, just like every other breed of dog when not treated like garbage, hth

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

That date a month ago is still the single highest death in their timeframe, right? I'm curious if the whole model will shift over when we finally break that number

yeah they get peaks by looking where the derivative is 0, and print those out so a human can look at them and say yea that looks like the peak.

this paper is all about their model, and here's the section about peaks

Lpzie has issued a correction as of 20:43 on May 10, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charun posted:

oh hay - the IHME projection is updated

(i'm the quick drop to 0 on august)

HAAAA HA HA HA they just totally fuckin' gave up trying to make it look like a proper modelled curve

Charun posted:

Cool
I've posted a lot of words on https://realgoodcovidtracker.com/projections/ and will add more when I find that takedown of the older IHME projections

Noice :nice:

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Analyzing everything in terms of dominion, just shows off how he wants a hierarchy to structure his life. He wants to know which boot to lick and who will lick his boot.

The way he is using the word "postmodern" could be replaced by chaos, unstructured, lack of a straight forward and simple hierarchy.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 20:44 on May 10, 2020

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

And so you see, the Reapers are like me: a fascist.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

love my public officials who do not understand the Germ Theory of Disease

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

that dude is 100% using post-modern the way nazis talked of modernism (and add to that the general chaos of relativity AKA JEW SCIENCE)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

You never hear about cats being bred for fighting now do you?

That’s implicit

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

a review of the hell virus in WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/10/coronavirus-attacks-body-symptoms/?arc404=true

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I love and accept my Large, Dumb, Cat Son

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

bunch of jackasses who have never bonded with a dog ITT. Maybe got snapped at by one for being a piece of poo poo at some point

"My dog only hates bad people" is a tremendously lovely take, as is the whole idea that the owner-dog bond justifies not otherwise training it

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Why do I feel like covid deniers talking about "we have to reopen everything because of impending mental health issues" rings the same way they talk about it after a mass shooting? When have conservatives ever given a poo poo about mental health?

Also why do so many of them seem so blase about 80k dead? Looking around Twitter this morning I see a lot of "it's mostly in nursing homes OH WELL what a shame, open it all back up."

I mean, I guess I know the answer but yikes. Seeing a whole lot of "we were too conservative and the nationwide lockdown has destroyed us all and we'll never recover."

Also also every "this medical person died" story guaranteed has one reply saying they're not heroes, stop with the scare tactics, stop talking about this poo poo. Like these people try to sound tough but they sound utterly frightened and hope that they can intimidate other people into shutting up about it.

:bang: damnit need to quit reading twitter replies.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
i live in the rural "live free or die" republican-governed libertopia that is new hampshire

went to the local farm plant store today to pick up a truckload of plants

everybody was masked up, appointment only, only me allowed in the store

good poo poo not everyone in rural america is being a dumbass

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mastershakeman posted:

That date a month ago is still the single highest death in their timeframe, right? I'm curious if the whole model will shift over when we finally break that number

Lpzie posted:

yeah they get peaks by looking where the derivative is 0, and print those out so a human can look at them and say yea that looks like the peak.

this paper is all about their model, and here's the section about peaks

The reported deaths-per-day data has exceeded the IHME model's maximum a bunch of times but a week ago they switched to using a 3-day-average smoothed model which looks a lot less jagged and scary. Here's how it looks with the actual reported data superimposed on top:

Their very early models calculated that the peak would occur on Feb 16 and by god they're going to stick with that even if the real world data showed a higher number of deaths on April 21.
http://www.healthdata.org/covid/faqs

ETA: also never forget that the IHME models aren't coldly and neutrally calculated to show the most likely projection the virus may follow, they're deliberately choosing an "optimistic estimate" to cheer people up.

Lpzie posted:

while looking into why the IHME model uses erf(a(t-T)) as its workhorse and if that's standard in the field, i ran into a paper from apr 2nd by two physicists that have no training at all in modeling pandemics, wishing only to show off to the virology community their gaussian skills. it has a great line near the end.

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 21:16 on May 10, 2020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

You never hear about cats being bred for fighting now do you?

actually, about that

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Bruteman posted:

Why do I feel like covid deniers talking about "we have to reopen everything because of impending mental health issues" rings the same way they talk about it after a mass shooting? When have conservatives ever given a poo poo about mental health?

they're liars and bullies and idiots and the less you know about them the better

quote:

yes. they're poo poo and if you keep smelling their poo poo you'll start to get a headache

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lmao no mention of the fact that the government is full of nazis, in that final example

lame rear end nazi lover new york times :sad:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I called my mom because I am a good child and we had an alright conversation, but she's pretty libertarian chud to the core and it just makes me sad.

Feeling pretty lovely rn :smith:

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Analyzing everything in terms of dominion, just shows off how he wants a hierarchy to structure his life. He wants to know which boot to lick and who will lick his boot.

The way he is using the word "postmodern" could be replaced by chaos, unstructured, lack of a straight forward and simple hierarchy.

it's even dumber than this. people enjoy animal crossing because it's a game about object customization and talking animals.

the basis for his initial argument, that the game is only being played by leftists, can't even be proven. everything he is saying is extremely stupid.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Alex_Nieto

This guy got shot to death because someone’s dog snapped at him

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

MysteriousStranger posted:

lol I have pets. but historically poor people had working animals, rich people hand "fancy animals" which means they just fancied them and could keep them without them having to do a job.

modern pet ownership, unless you live on a farm, takes after the old rich and upper middle class. and pet ownership is still a sign of being middle class.

cats have always been useful for killing rodents, and u dont need to live on a farm to take advantage of that

dogs can also be useful as guard animals. once again, dont need to live on a farm!

also plenty of poor people have pets dude what the hell are u talking about lol

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

nikosoft posted:

I called my mom because I am a good child and we had an alright conversation, but she's pretty libertarian chud to the core and it just makes me sad.

Feeling pretty lovely rn :smith:

my trump-worshipping brother convinced my 60 year old mom to fly in a week and also to get her hair done tomorrow

i feel your pain. nothing we can do but love 'em anyway. our moms that is, my brother can eat poo poo and die.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

so this dude wants to gently caress the raccoon is what i'm getting

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Bruteman posted:

Also why do so many of them seem so blase about 80k dead? Looking around Twitter this morning I see a lot of "it's mostly in nursing homes OH WELL what a shame, open it all back up."

I mean, I guess I know the answer but yikes. Seeing a whole lot of "we were too conservative and the nationwide lockdown has destroyed us all and we'll never recover."

Also also every "this medical person died" story guaranteed has one reply saying they're not heroes, stop with the scare tactics, stop talking about this poo poo. Like these people try to sound tough but they sound utterly frightened and hope that they can intimidate other people into shutting up about it.

im fairly sure that these people have a ceiling no less than 150 million people they'd be okay seeing dead. As long as it isn't all people they know, anyone else they can just pretend it was something they hated.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
drove by my parents place today for Mothers Day to say hi from my car.

My parents said they are thinking about going to Hawaii in November for my Mom's 70th birthday.

THEY DON'T loving GET IT YET

:negative:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Chinatown posted:

My parents said they are thinking about going to Hawaii in November for my Mom's 70th birthday.

no but they will

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: people think that, but dogs are too stupid to determine friends from foes.

lol its just that they all hate you, dog hater

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
poor people have had pets for thousands of years, rich people get fancy breeds or exotic pets but don't say its a rich people only thing as its never been

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Charun posted:

Cool
I've posted a lot of words on https://realgoodcovidtracker.com/projections/ and will add more when I find that takedown of the older IHME projections

if I can get cspam's death estimate published somewhere, all this effort will be worth it

This is good work you've done

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Welcome to the club - had to walk my dad back from going to play Tennis anytime soon... :yikes:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

my dogs get more aggressive the higher your networth.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

shovelbum posted:

It's incredibly socially acceptable to have large aggressive dangerous unsocialized dogs in the US

unless its one of the savage poor persons antifa superpitbulls

*giant fancy royal hunting race dogs maul guest to death in ur penthouse*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

my parents laughed about trump and bleach all last week and then booked their tickets to colorado in 7 days lmao I tried to stop them. 63 and 72 lol