Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I mean, there's a lever right there on the left but if you want double the complexity and pointless automation then yeah sweet!

When I was just learning (ie first or second time on a bike) I asked these questions too and Slavvy correctly informed me that I need to learn to use the clutch.

He was right. Please don’t get DCT if you’re a new biker. Learn to use the clutch. It’ll make you a far far better biker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m pretty sure the new GSXRs have a quick shifter both for up shifts and downshifts. Ignition cut on upshifts, auto-blip on downshifts.

It’s still a regular motorcycle transmission underneath it all, no DCT

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m pretty sure the new GSXRs have a quick shifter both for up shifts and downshifts. Ignition cut on upshifts, auto-blip on downshifts.

Yeah dct is kind of typical Honda: cutting edge technology that works great, has no equal upon debut, but quickly becomes totally obsolete when someone figures out a drastically simpler way to do the same thing.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah dct is kind of typical Honda: cutting edge technology that works great, has no equal upon debut, but quickly becomes totally obsolete when someone figures out a drastically simpler way to do the same thing.

This reminds me of RCR trying to explain the CB900 transmission and hi-lo gears being used as a de facto sixth gear, only to have six speeds just become the norm.

But then he didn’t really do a good job of explaining why that was in the first place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Even with quickshifters on both the up and down, automating a manual motorcycle transmission would still require some sort of automated clutch to be able to start and stop, and ideally some sort of actuator to bring the gearbox back to first if the person stops at a light in fifth.

It's not at all impossible, but it's more complex than just fueling/ignition.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

This reminds me of RCR trying to explain the CB900 transmission and hi-lo gears being used as a de facto sixth gear, only to have six speeds just become the norm.

But then he didn’t really do a good job of explaining why that was in the first place.

Wasn't it because they wanted to use the goldwing's shaft drive so had to reverse drive direction and used that as a chance to add an extra gear? That sense of cludgy-but-clever is also very honda.

Sagebrush posted:

Even with quickshifters on both the up and down, automating a manual motorcycle transmission would still require some sort of automated clutch to be able to start and stop, and ideally some sort of actuator to bring the gearbox back to first if the person stops at a light in fifth.

It's not at all impossible, but it's more complex than just fueling/ignition.

You just described an smg, it's a short hop from there to dct. Fifth to first is impossible though, you would need a synchronised box to do it consistently - iirc the h2 is the first bike to have one of these.

Fooling around with countless terrible imported dct cars has left me with the impression that a dct will never, ever match the level of control a manual clutch gives you at low speed.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
OR! Computerized quickshift + centrifugal clutch. Honda even has a bunch of experience with those! I forget what they were called, it was something extremely 50ies though.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

When I was just learning (ie first or second time on a bike) I asked these questions too and Slavvy correctly informed me that I need to learn to use the clutch.

He was right. Please don't get DCT if you're a new biker. Learn to use the clutch. It'll make you a far far better biker.
Oh definitely, an automatic is not the way to learn. But this isn't close to a first bike, and I wouldn't get rid of the manual one I have now, I'm only considering it as an addition.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, I'd have to go all the way up to the GSX-R1000R before they add a quickshifter. I mean, those are very cool bikes, but I'm not sure I'd want to commute to work on one every day.

The KTM 790s and up (and the RC390/390 adventure) also have quickshifters, but then I'd have to buy a KTM.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I’m not saying buy a gsxr I was just using it’s transmission as an example

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Do I want a quickshifter? There's an OEM one for the fireblade, I've never felt the need as I quite like changing gears and clutchless upshifts are fine anyway. What's the benefit? Is this a pseudo racer thing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's just a racer thing and lets you pin it and bash the lever. I'm sure it's faster than a normal clutchless shift but it never feels that way to me. More sophisticated systems for rbw bikes blip on downshifts making them easy and cool sounding.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Quickshifters mostly seem something to be able to tick on the spec sheet and for magazines to rave about that you Must buy that option.

I'm surprised many OEM models still use a pressure sensor in a shifter rod. The newer 690 models have a sensor built into the actual gearbox. Although you could argue that it's a KTM-ism in that it's more likely for it to go wrong and harder to repair when it does.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I mean, there's a lever right there on the left but if you want double the complexity and pointless automation then yeah sweet!

I wonder how much of the DCT love is from people who are getting back into biking after quitting in the 90s, when clutches were BIG MANLY ARM PUMPING things, low-speed fuelling was lumpy as hell, and first gears were stupidly tall?

I used to hate getting caught in traffic on the RSV because you had to slip the clutch basically all the way to 30, and the pull on that thing must have been a couple of kilos, so after a few minutes you had a forearm like Popeye. Now the clutch on my Monster is lighter than it was on my RS125, you can let it all the way out at walking pace without risking stalling/surging and I basically only use neutral when I park. I know the two bikes aren't directly comparable, but the RSV4 has if anything an even lighter clutch, so even if it is geared taller it's still a dream in low-speed conditions.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

knox_harrington posted:

Do I want a quickshifter? There's an OEM one for the fireblade, I've never felt the need as I quite like changing gears and clutchless upshifts are fine anyway. What's the benefit? Is this a pseudo racer thing?

I always get them chucked on when doing the usual speedohealer/full exhaust/ECU flash + pressure gauge quickshifter, as an aftermarket bolt on the quickshifter function only costs an extra $100 or so. It doesn't lock you into using the quickshifter (you still have full control), but drat it can be fun (and sound great) to bang through the gears at wide open throttle.

The main aftermarket $speediboi mods that I don't understand are launch controls and pit limiters: terrifying and never used on the first, unreliable (to the degree of murderously self-activating at high RPM) and pointless on the second.

Quickshifters are just a goofy fun time.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Isn't launch control so sport tourers and the Triumph rocket don't beat Superdukes and R1s to 60mph?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Quickshifters for me are just a device that encourages extreme laziness. Just row up the gears with your foot, whatever, whenever, while you scratch your rear end with your left hand. They're cool and I wouldn't say no to one, but they'd make me forget clutch/throttle coordination within a week. For some people who don't use a clutch to shift anyway, it might seem redundant, but I never did that.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

they fuckin rule. after having one on the SAR that does up and down I'd find it super lame to not have one anymore. they're just so much fun

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there anything challenging about buying a new/used bike from a dealer across state lines?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There shouldnt be. I sold my Bandit 1200 in IL and bought a DRZ-400 in IL and I live in WI.

The one issue was that the DRZ was listed as a dirtbike in IL, which apparently doesnt matter. Wisconsin DMV, predictably, was not happy about this. I reached out to the dealership that sold me the bike, and we agreed that they would either fix the title or buy back the DRZ from me. They fixed the title and it was all good.

I would actually feel much better about buying from a dealership than an individual across state lines, for exactly the above reason, which you likely couldnt negotiate with an individual.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Rolo posted:

Is there anything challenging about buying a new/used bike from a dealer across state lines?

When I did that in VA, the dealer was set up to do MD paperwork from the word go, it was literally 0 difference from buying it in MD. I think that's fairly common for moto dealers because they are fewer and farther between than car dealers, so a lot of people shop across state lines. YMMV obviously.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I would be sure they know you’re out of state so they don’t collect sales tax, because you will probably owe it in your home state.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

I would be sure they know you’re out of state so they don’t collect sales tax, because you will probably owe it in your home state.

I've only purchased one bike from an out-of-state dealer and they just FedEx'd me the out-of-state title along with a bill of sale, etc. and let me deal with the paperwork at the BMV. They did not collect sales tax.

If the dealership is handling the paperwork to title the bike in your state, they'll collect the sales tax when you buy the bike.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rolo posted:

I bought my latest bike from a dealer across state lines, and they just had an extra page of paperwork they filled out which I had to take into the DMV, who then charged me sales tax. I bought it in Oregon though, which lacks a state sales tax, so that may have made things easier.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I managed to talk that guy down a bunch and bought the 690. It is good.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Speaking of Harley.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mpo/d/hazlehurst-harley-1928-jd/7126755031.html

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is that thing on the front below the headlight, like, a reservoir, or just a container, or what?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is that thing on the front below the headlight, like, a reservoir, or just a container, or what?

Small cask of brandy

mewse
May 2, 2006

This is what Harley should re-make as a retro bike

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think it's the tool kit. Old bikes (and cars, for that matter) used to come with them because the maintenance intervals were like 200 miles.

My 350 still has its original kit, only missing a screwdriver I believe. It sits in a little can underneath the airbox, just in front of the rear wheel.

(not my bike)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 19, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

“Tell me what bike to buy!” 92 year old patina cash only no fools

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's the tool kit. Old bikes (and cars, for that matter) used to come with them because the maintenance intervals were like 200 miles.

My 350 still has its original kit, only missing a screwdriver I believe. It sits in a little can underneath the airbox, just in front of the rear wheel.

(not my bike)

You made me dig up some pictures of a 350 project I had 6 or so years ago. This was the day I got it for 200 bucks. It needed a lot of new plastic and rubber, plus the carbs were gross but it ran. Also had all the tools!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's the tool kit. Old bikes (and cars, for that matter) used to come with them

Do they not still? Or did they used to be more extensive than the screwdriver, spark plug wrench, and couple of spanners you get now?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm glad the subject of old bikes of that style is brought up. I've been bit by the bug to get one of those these last months. Probably quarantine brain worms. It would be fun to find one that just needed some consumables and new hoses and such that I could zip around on.

That's a terrible idea, right? I shouldn't be thinking this?

In related news, some young guy caught up to me the other day on a nice restored Honda 450 of that style the other day. Just rode up next to me and kept pointing to the HONDA on his bike and then gesturing wildly at the Hawk then back at his bike. He seemed VERY excited that we both rode nice vintage Honda motorcycles.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do they not still? Or did they used to be more extensive than the screwdriver, spark plug wrench, and couple of spanners you get now?

They still give you one, even if you have a KTM. But if you have a KTM they do everything in their power to design zero place to put it on the bike.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 19, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

They still give you one, even if you have a KTM. But if you have a KTM they do everything in their power to design zero place to put it on the bike.

lol fr. the storage beneath the rear seat was full of emissions Bull poo poo so it promptly got removed. thankfully since the emissions Bull poo poo was so big I can now fit a tool roll, tire irons, plugs, tire inflator, and some chain lube back there

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The KTM toolkit comes with a bottle opener so you can drink a cold one waiting for your tow.
Also, indeed, no place to fit it on the 690/701.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I'm glad the subject of old bikes of that style is brought up. I've been bit by the bug to get one of those these last months. Probably quarantine brain worms. It would be fun to find one that just needed some consumables and new hoses and such that I could zip around on.

Lmao.

Lmfao.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Fuel for the oil lantern headlight

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What even is a bike if not a collection of consumables and hoses?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A miserable pile of total loss oiling and cloth wrapped wiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A miserable pile of total loss oiling and cloth wrapped wiring

Royal Enfield: Frames are a consumable item