Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I wonder if MPs have been given a copy of that 50 page detailed article clarifying last night. Given Boris is meant to be in the Commons in under 2 hours it seems like they might want some time to actually read the thing before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/pressgazette/status/1259826205232111622?s=19

Oopsie poopsie

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spelled "gently caress, we got caught again". It's no wonder Tories are into child molesting and tax evasion, those are the only crimes they can commit and get away with it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

justcola posted:

a young Starmer reading The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, keeping his finger wedged on the last page as he makes bad choice after bad choice. His mother comes in to find her 20 year old son weeping at the choose-your-own-adventure book.

I understand that but, the solid belief that ultimately there has to be a solution, and I just can't find out what it is, is partially why a lot of people are sad and angry. I should know, I'm one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The correct solution to CYOA books is, of course, to put them down after about 30 minutes and do literally anything else with your life.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Josef bugman posted:

I think I understand it. It's wanting to not commit to knowing or feeling anything out of fear. You don't want to look like a bad person, or you think you don't have the knowledge and do not wish to appear as a fool, so you equivocate.

The problem is it doesn't work. I am not sure what does work, but it always seems to make folks look ineffectual.
I don't think it's actually indecisiveness, more a deliberate attempt at obfuscation because he doesn't want to get slated for saying he would support an extension.

I think if we were somehow in this exact situation re: Brexit but with Starmer in charge he would be asking for an extension now, and there's absolutely no way in hell that Starmer won't support one if it gets to December without a deal. The only thing he's not doing is actually saying the words.

There's obviously not much to be gained from saying "in a hypothetical situation where I was prime minister right now, I would be asking for an extension", but being Mr Remain in charge of the remain/anti-no deal party and desperately avoiding saying "we want to avoid a no deal Brexit in December, so we would back an extension if the government hadn't negotiated a deal by December" is just weak.

It annoys the people who want you to say "of course we don't want no deal and would ask for an extension to avoid it" and also the people who already know you're a remainer and can read the very obvious subtext of your response/existence, which is that you would ask for an extension.

Maybe with the other one about unsafe workplaces it was partly indecisiveness, because it's a hypothetical situation and he said he'd have to look at it. However, the question was explicitly about a union stating it had concerns regarding PPE and so I'd have expected him to just say "yes" because it's not like saying "we'd have to look at it" adds any nuance, unless the implication is supposed to be that maybe the union are just being troublemakers (which is probably not a good thing for the Labour leader to be implying)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m695e8MYXE&t=963s

like this is a much better way of approaching that question, which say workers legally shouldn't have to go back to unsafe workplaces, but also that work places shouldn't be unsafe so it shouldn't be a problem

Len McCluskey posted:

Mr McCluskey said it was every worker's "statutory right" to have such an environment and any worker "unsure" of having that available "should not be pressured in going back to work".

He also said that he did not believe there should be any "need for that", as long as "employers and government embrace expertise".

He added that the economy had to be restarted: "Otherwise we'll be faced with mass unemployment, which will impact on everybody."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52610585

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

glorious new leader poo poo Charmer fails at charming shits

so then what's the point

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PopulismExpert/status/1259751834471804930?s=19

We're all gonna die so The Sun can post pictures of 15 year olds in bikinis.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The correct solution to CYOA books is, of course, to put them down after about 30 minutes and do literally anything else with your life.
Beating CYOA books by choosing your own adventure.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Josef bugman posted:

I understand that but, the solid belief that ultimately there has to be a solution, and I just can't find out what it is, is partially why a lot of people are sad and angry. I should know, I'm one.

Nobody really knows what the solution is, but I'd expect the leader of the opposition to take more of a stand than sort of back-up government advice that's purposefully vague. Increased pay for key workers, UBI, anything would do. If Philip Scofield is having a bigger do at Boris than the leader of the Labour party its not looking rosy for the next few years.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1259827662685691906

Even when it's something of this scale all the Labour right can do is tone policing and managing expectations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol I'd noticed that Karol Sikora guy had been cropping up a lot as a pro-government anti-lockdown "expert"

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1259809171551158272

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karol_Sikora

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1259809498560106497

novel. Maybe risky since it'll be right before the daily press briefing at 7pm

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1259809498560106497

novel. Maybe risky since it'll be right before the daily press briefing at 7pm

I'm sure the BBC would not send the tories a copy of the speech ahead of time so they can prepare responses to it ahead of time

That would be biased

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Even when it's something of this scale all the Labour right can do is tone policing and managing expectations.

She was responsible for the controls on immigration mug for those who don't know

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Gort posted:

I'm sure the BBC would not send the tories a copy of the speech ahead of time so they can prepare responses to it ahead of time

That would be biased

You can be 100% sure it'll be leaked to the CON team, if it's not the BBC then it'll be someone in the LAB shadow cabinet itself

It is already ahead of time (5.50pm < 7pm...) but yeah I would bet on a few CON advisors being very busy this afternoon

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

so the white collar and parasite classes get to work from the comfort of their homes and the rest of us get face masks and the threat of destitution if we don't serve them. cool.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

60 page document is out: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/our-plan-to-rebuild-the-uk-governments-covid-19-recovery-strategy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ronya posted:

You can be 100% sure it'll be leaked to the CON team, if it's not the BBC then it'll be someone in the LAB shadow cabinet itself

The right wingers in the shadow cabinet aren't going to start briefing against the leader now he's one of their own.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

She was responsible for the controls on immigration mug for those who don't know

She also tweeted that NOT to vote for Jess Phillips - not known for being Jewish - in the leadership election (before Phillips pulled out obviously) was anti-semitic.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jedit posted:

The right wingers in the shadow cabinet aren't going to start briefing against the leader now he's one of their own.

one of the others then?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Good news everyone! Pret is open, so you can queue in to a tiny little shop and get your hot cup of coronavirus coffee

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Reads like propaganda so far, full of, "From the start the government has been guided by science" when in reality they botched it super hard and had to scramble to cover their arses ASAP

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Has this been posted?

https://twitter.com/PaulJSweeney/status/1259751127941341184?s=20

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gonzo McFee posted:

When someone like this talks about "being a grown-up" somehow all I can picture is their face sliding up and down the line between "we have food at home" and "orders one black coffee, leaves" on the mcdonalds alignment chart.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

quote:

Face-coverings
As more people return to work, there will be more movement outside people's immediate household. This increased mobility means the Government is now advising that people should aim to wear a face-covering in enclosed spaces where social distancing is not always possible and they come into contact with others that they do not normally meet, for example on public transport or in some shops. Homemade cloth face-coverings can help reduce the risk of transmission in some circumstances.
Face-coverings are not intended to help the wearer, but to protect against inadvertent transmission of the disease to others if you have it asymptomatically. A face covering is not the same as a facemask such as the surgical masks or respirators used as part of personal protective equipment by healthcare and other workers. These supplies must continue to be reserved for those who need it.

They can't be arsed giving us all face masks so just wear a scarf that will act as a sort of sponge instead

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
reassuring that the science has changed and now masks won't actually give you the roni because you might touch your face

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

This will never happen though because that's not the kind of saving money this government wants to do, it would look like a £50bil reduction in economic activity and that's bad according to GDP worshipers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

justcola posted:

They can't be arsed giving us all face masks so just wear a scarf that will act as a sort of sponge instead

I'm gonna be making my own for my weekly Out Time, which I've thus far resisted bothering with, on the basis that honestly the only thing I'm doing is going from my cart to the shop, doing the shop, going back to the car - but now if we're going to have kids being largely asymptomatic vectors again and decent chunks of the population being forced to work, I'll probably take 60% effectiveness over nothing.

I pity future me for the paranoia over whether it's safe to touch the apples I will have bought yesterday.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I don't see how this gains donations for the tory party, why would they consider it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gort posted:

Reads like propaganda so far, full of, "From the start the government has been guided by science" when in reality they botched it super hard and had to scramble to cover their arses ASAP
yeah i skimmed it and grabbed a bunch of lines that popped out:

quote:

I must ask the country to be patient with a continued disruption to our normal way of life, but to be relentless in pursuing our mission to build the systems we need. The worst possible outcome would be a return to the virus being out of control – with the cost to human life, and – through the inevitable re-imposition of severe restrictions – the cost to the economy.
quiet part out loud

quote:

7. The Government must prepare for the challenges that the winter flu season will bring. This will have wide-ranging effects, from impeding any efforts to trace the virus (because so many people without COVID-19 are likely to have symptoms that resemble COVID-19), to increasing the demand for hospital beds.
the winter flu season that'll definitely happen even though covid will be through 2021 and we will still be minimising the spread of an infectious disease then... right...

quote:

Much of what is desirable is not yet possible. So the Government’s plan considers carefully when and where to take risk. A 'zero risk' approach will not work in these unprecedented times. The Government will have to invest in experimental technologies, some of which are likely not to work as intended, or even prove worthless. But waiting for complete certainty is not an option.
why will a zero risk approach not work? why is complete certainty not an option?

quote:

As soon as practicable, workplaces should follow the new “COVID-19 Secure” guidelines, as set out in the previous chapter, which will be published this week.
so by set out they mean not set out at all, so much for that company guidance materialising

quote:

It is likely that the Government will continue to advise people who are clinically extremely vulnerable to shield beyond June.
read: forever

quote:

Level 1 COVID-19 is not known to be present in the UK
Level 2 COVID-19 is present in the UK, but the number of cases and transmission is low
Level 3 A COVID-19 epidemic is in general circulation
Level 4 A COVID-19 epidemic is in general circulation; transmission is high or rising exponentially
Level 5 As level 4 and there is a material risk of healthcare services being overwhelmed
so in practice it's 1, 3 and 5 where 3 and 5 are effectively the same given lack of testing and ppe demand
it'd save more than that given how much social housing work is held up by private landlords in shared blocks, thanks right to buy!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
nice little "it's all your fault if R goes back up" coda

quote:

A collective effort
The threat is a collective one; the responsibility to keep everyone safe is one everyone shares.

If the Government is to begin to adjust the social restrictions, it will require everyone to act thoughtfully and responsibly to keep R down, and the Government has little room for error.

If, as restrictions are lifted, everyone chooses to act cautiously and in line with the revised guidance, R will remain low, the rate of transmission will decline Further, and the Government can lift more restrictions.

This effort must, however, be a shared and collective one; only a small number of new outbreaks would cause R to tip back above one and require the re-imposition of some restrictions.

In judging when to adjust each restriction, the Government will be guided by the best possible evidence and will be, as in this document, transparent about the basis for the decision.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I actually had a bunch of surgical masks from ages ago from when I used to ride the National Express once a week, which would make me sick literally every single time

I only use 'em when I'm inside, though, and that's only once every ten days or so. Don't see any point in wasting my dwindling supplies on it when I'm outdoors

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Jedit posted:

oh there's a big tradition of it on the left too

T. Benn was the big pioneer of using strategic leaks to the media to batter the leader, don't forget

Starmer has his own most credible leadership opponent in his cabinet, there's going to be plenty of backstabbing over the next five years too

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

justcola posted:

Nobody really knows what the solution is, but I'd expect the leader of the opposition to take more of a stand than sort of back-up government advice that's purposefully vague. Increased pay for key workers, UBI, anything would do. If Philip Scofield is having a bigger do at Boris than the leader of the Labour party its not looking rosy for the next few years.

I mean yes, but the belief that "If I just say and do the right things and the right time I can get it all to work, right?!" seems quite common.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Starmer Plan is to be as unobtrusive as possible until the election, at which point the tories will hopefully have hosed up enough for him to win on a "Not the tories" ticket. It was also the Milliband Plan.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gort posted:

The Starmer Plan is to be as unobtrusive as possible until the election, at which point the tories will hopefully have hosed up enough for him to win on a "Not the tories" ticket. It was also the Milliband Plan.

Sounds far too radical, I think it's more likely to be 'you had your ten years, it's our turn now'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is a level beyond forensic. I call it fivensic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

so the white collar and parasite classes get to work from the comfort of their homes and the rest of us get face masks and the threat of destitution if we don't serve them. cool.

Get to *buy* facemasks. Can't disrupt the free market!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I actually had a bunch of surgical masks from ages ago from when I used to ride the National Express once a week, which would make me sick literally every single time

I only use 'em when I'm inside, though, and that's only once every ten days or so. Don't see any point in wasting my dwindling supplies on it when I'm outdoors

You're only going indoors once every ten days!? Christ man you're meant to be inside most of the time!