Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trickyblackjack posted:

Because of this thread, I went into Shadow of War expecting MGSV levels of male gaze and what I got was that they replaced the spider with a female character. But I do understand people being shocked at seeing a woman in Lord of the Rings.

yeah, she's a fairly well-done character imo.

it's theoretically sort of in line with the books but practically absurd, since she's only ever described as a horrible spider monster, but the well of hilariously terrible vg ladies is p deep, so she's basically bobbing round on the surface by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i feel like gabe finally wore out the last of his goodwill because barely anybody mentions him anymore. i don't think i've even seen a new sale.gif for over a year.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

There's nothing special about Steam sales these days because the "Steam sale" model has become the new standard across the entire game industry, including on consoles. The way things work now is that publishers never decrease their base prices ever, and during sale events they lower the price to what they're actually intending to sell the game for along with a big "75% OFF!!!" advertisement.

It's clearer on consoles where you still have physical retail games to compare to. Retail copies go down in price over time while the digital download version of the same game stays full price forever except when there's a "discount" on it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My library of free games I'll never play has ballooned recently thanks to Epic Store freebies and global crises prompting Ubisoft to give away various Assassin's Creed games. Hopefully there's an earthquake or something in Ireland soon since I never got to play Rogue.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Weird benefit of Hitman 2 needing a billion gigs: before I uninstalled anything I did a deep clean of my laptop and found nearly fifty gigs of junk data - old stuff I don't need, files that weren't removed when I uninstalled stuff, etc.

I'm such a hoarder and I should do this more often, haha. At least it's easy to clean up!

... and yes I'm reinstalling Hitman 2, I have the urge to go knock off some more achievements in it. I miss playing it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

With all this talk of a Steam sales I thought there was a Steam sale going on, but no

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

With all this talk of a Steam sales I thought there was a Steam sale going on, but no

I think there's a humble sale going on.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
There's always a sale somewhere.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Some things sales truly never change

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Ghostlight posted:

i feel like gabe finally wore out the last of his goodwill because barely anybody mentions him anymore. i don't think i've even seen a new sale.gif for over a year.

Actually, the Golden Week Sale finally felt a bit like making an effort. Lowering prices is no longer tenable, so instead it's better to curate a bit to provide a more focused selection of titles. It's impossible to keep up with all the stuff that lands on Steam, but it is possible to take a closer look at a particular section of Steam's library to check whether something fell through the cracks.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

Sales haven't felt the same for quite a few years now. We used to have giant event and giveaway threads here, especially for the Winter sale. The sale formats changed and they restricted gifting to other countries which finally put a nail in the coffin.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Surge 2: Yay or Nay?

Beaten DeS, DS1, DS2, DS3. Gave up on Sekiro before the first Owl fight. Never played the Surge 1.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Beaten DeS, DS1, DS2, DS3. Gave up on Sekiro before the first Owl fight. Never played the Surge 1.

Surge 1 is five dollars right now, give it a spin before you do Surge 2.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm one of those terrible people that couldn't get into all of the dark souls games (purchased and tried 1, 2, and 3) but fell in love with NIOH because the combat and loot own, or are at least good at tickling my lizard brain.

I know the gimmick about Surge but is the combat good enough to hold it up?

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 11, 2020

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Surge 2 combat is fun, ripping people apart is awesome.

The story is extremely bad and the level design is just alright tho

If it’s cheap it’s an easy yay if you enjoy Souls-like combat.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Serephina posted:

Wait, they where serious? Where the gently caress did somone make Shelob a chick?

edit: Oh my god I just googled that, that's so loving bad and insipid and uninspired and pointless. loving why?

She was never a spider even in the books. In the form of a spider at the time of LotR? Yup. But she's a shapeless ancient evil from the dawn of time and changing shape is explicitly something all the ancients can do (except Sauron who gave up that ability to make the Ring - that was the cost).

She's also used really well in Shadow of War and how she appears to Talion makes perfect sense (it plays on his dead wife among other things). Hell the entire Shadw of War story I'd argue is it's strongest aspect. The gameplay is a step down from Shadow of Mordor but the story is good. Especially Middle-Earth Japan and all the Nazgul backstories. Also setting up for a sequel at the end takes some balls and doing it without contradicting the books? That's clever.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Surge 2 has Very Good Combat and pretty mediocre everything else and you do not need to have played 1 at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morter posted:

I'm one of those terrible people that couldn't get into all of the dark souls games (purchased and tried 1, 2, and 3) but fell in love with NIOH because the combat and loot own, or are at least good at tickling my lizard brain.

I know the gimmick about Surge but is the combat good enough to hold it up?

can’t comment on surge 2, but extremely no to the surge 1. It has the most infuriatingly designed weapons I’ve used in any of these games, the camera is worse than any of them except for bloodborne, and the devs’ response to the complaint that the environments in lords of the fallen were too indistinct and easy to get lost in was to absolutely double down on that. I managed to navigate lords of the fallen without too much trouble but repeatedly got lost in the surge.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DatonKallandor posted:

She was never a spider even in the books. In the form of a spider at the time of LotR? Yup. But she's a shapeless ancient evil from the dawn of time and changing shape is explicitly something all the ancients can do (except Sauron who gave up that ability to make the Ring - that was the cost).

She's also used really well in Shadow of War and how she appears to Talion makes perfect sense (it plays on his dead wife among other things). Hell the entire Shadw of War story I'd argue is it's strongest aspect. The gameplay is a step down from Shadow of Mordor but the story is good. Especially Middle-Earth Japan and all the Nazgul backstories. Also setting up for a sequel at the end takes some balls and doing it without contradicting the books? That's clever.

The similarity to Talion’s wife is obvious if you remember what she looks like. Most people however, do not remember the character that was there for two minutes in another game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How's Railway Empire?
Tired of OpenTTD, want something prettier to look at. Already have Transport Fever 2 but the industry chain is a bit too shallow and dull, but I don't want full on Spreadsheet management.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The similarity to Talion’s wife is obvious if you remember what she looks like. Most people however, do not remember the character that was there for two minutes in another game.

Talion had a wife? I just skipped every cutscene and as far I care Shadow of Mordor was simply about 20 hours of loving with orcs.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

omg railworks $$$ holds up

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Talion had a wife? I just skipped every cutscene and as far I care Shadow of Mordor was simply about 20 hours of loving with orcs.

The wife was a sneaking tutorial

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Shelob looked like Talion's wife to you folks?

She looks more like Milla Jovovich to me

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Missed Hydroneer chat over the weekend. It's a very budget game and against all better and logical reason I strongly recommend it. If it cost any more, was any less meditative, or the dev was any less active you could accuse it of being an asset flip.

The last part about the dev is kind of a double edged sword. There's been daily patches introducing regression bugs every time which he fixes the next day and one of these times it's gonna make the game unplayable.

But anyway it's an amazing meditative experience when or in spite of things doing physics blast offs. Your efficiency is entirely based on how well your organize the junk in world yourself not unlike My Summer Car with it's similar one thing in hand conceit. There's some quality of life stuff he needs to consider which won't short circuit that but honestly I've gotten my ten bucks out of it already so if it suddenly turns unplayable or he ignores all good sense recommendations I won't feel out.

I haven't tried it since the patch today which supposedly addresses it but it was an Unreal engine game with no frame cap/minimum optimizations so if you didn't set the graphics down a notch and put on a GPU level frame cap it would try to melt down your GPU into it's constituent ores so buyer beware I guess.

Croccers posted:

How's Railway Empire?
Tired of OpenTTD, want something prettier to look at. Already have Transport Fever 2 but the industry chain is a bit too shallow and dull, but I don't want full on Spreadsheet management.
I don't know that it's going to be what you want either. It's more of a trading economics game than a train and production game. It's good but a different heritage being from the Railroad Tycoon family tree.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

DatonKallandor posted:

You know, that's a great point and I'm re-evaluating my previous thoughts. Having Shelob, the spirit of darkness whose spawn spin webs of shadow take on another form is totally legit, which probably explains why the Tolkien foundation was ok with it. And I can totally see them wanting more big canon names with a face to talk to the protag (I only played the first game not second, but I feel I get the vibe).

Except... of all the cool forms to choose with a literal blank slate, they chose "hot chick in evening gown". So yea, it's still awful.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

zedprime posted:

Missed Hydroneer chat over the weekend. It's a very budget game and against all better and logical reason I strongly recommend it.

Dumb question because I'm not seeing anything regarding any of the following terms in the store page nor the forums:

Is the world randomized or procedurally generated? Or is it static?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shadow of War features Milla Jovovich in a nightgown? Need to get around to playing it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Gonna cry foul on this one.
Shelob literally means well... she-spider. She's the daughter of Ungoliant, also a giant spider demon, and her children are the spiders of Mirkwood. She's definitely only ever meant to be a spider in the material.
It's fine that they decided to make her a hot woman but it's also lazy and they just wanted to be able to have someone with a name the general public would understand.

If they wanted to do it right they could have made her any old nameless Maiar and called it a day

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Morter posted:

Dumb question because I'm not seeing anything regarding any of the following terms in the store page nor the forums:

Is the world randomized or procedurally generated? Or is it static?
It's a static map. There's a few sell spots around, a cheap tool store, the full tool store, furniture and building store, and luxury furniture and building store. And I think it's 4 diggable plots.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Gonna cry foul on this one.
Shelob literally means well... she-spider. She's the daughter of Ungoliant, also a giant spider demon, and her children are the spiders of Mirkwood. She's definitely only ever meant to be a spider in the material.
It's fine that they decided to make her a hot woman but it's also lazy and they just wanted to be able to have someone with a name the general public would understand.

If they wanted to do it right they could have made her any old nameless Maiar and called it a day
I think Chris Tolkien specifically signed off on Shelob having glamor like a maiar so it's canon laziness if anything.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 11, 2020

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Pausing the utterly fascinating spidertits discussion for a bit of news:
https://twitter.com/thexpaw/status/1258825537172189184

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

I think Chris Tolkien specifically signed off on Shelob having glamor like a maiar so it's canon laziness if anything.
Imagine that being remembered as one of the last things you did before you died. "Approved putting tits on a spider."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

anilEhilated posted:

Imagine that being remembered as one of the last things you did before you died. "Approved putting tits on a spider."
I say it like canon middle Earth is important. He was pretty amenable to anything but the least consistent stuff in the extended universe. Climaxing in allowing a video game where Celebrimbor possesses a guy to make a new ring of power and Shelob has a sexy lady glamor and premonition.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is what I get for making a dumb post about a Tolkein thing before going to bed, two pages of magic spider boob arguments.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Orv posted:

two pages of magic spider boob arguments.

too long for a username but thread title!?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Terminally Bored posted:

Pausing the utterly fascinating spidertits discussion for a bit of news:
https://twitter.com/thexpaw/status/1258825537172189184

Time for gamers to get angry that valve is celebrating anything china related!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

anilEhilated posted:

I'd have it engraved on my tombstone, personally

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
More games need sexy creatures of evil imo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zeta Acosta posted:

More games need sexy creatures of evil imo

:yeah:

Still fondly remember the succubus from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, though we fell out in the end.

e: when are we going to get a sequel, that game was adolescent in all the best ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

milk or silk?