Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Tree of Amalion posted:

So I heard this week from a high school student I mentor that her school (in LAUSD) is opening on May 15th. I've been looking to see if this is the case, but my news finding ability is weak and I couldn't find any current news about LAUSD schools. Anyone in this thread know what the deal is? I couldn't believe that the schools would actually be opening again.

I know that LA County's Safer At Home order is currently in place until the 15th, so it is possible that she is conflating that with reopening LAUSD.

Tree of Amalion
Sep 6, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

No, that was the prior adjusted plan.

In March, the Superintendant got permission from the board to shut down for 2 weeks. Opening day was later pushed to May 1st or 15th. When Garcetti and Newsom announced full closures they basically said the district would be down until the state told them they were good to return.

Currently, the distance learning is extended through the end of the school year and into summer school. The start date for next year was pushed up to August. No word on when they will get back into physical sites.

The Supe does a weekly update at achieve.lausd.net

Now, they *did* send an email this week that said something about benefits not being able to be used past May13, but no one's really gotten into that. School sites are definitely closed for students, and staff is there only to hand out technology or assist in Food Services if the site is a Grab-and-Go location.

Thanks, appreciate the information!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loving musk is being such a dick, the podcast he did displayed that he is making completely baseless claims because he's literally throwing a tantrum. Musk's autism displays itself in an epic way when he does poo poo like this.

And yes the man does actually have autism this isn't an attack on autistic people but specifically musk a man who doesn't allow critical critism to occur in a way that would adjust his idiotic behavior because he will never acknowledge a mental disability being part of his psyche

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lol at moving operations and incurring billions in expense because you feel a little slighted. Truly a Randian superman.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Lol at moving operations and incurring billions in expense because you feel a little slighted. Truly a Randian superman.

Right it's so illogical to make this threat but this isn't an impossible feat for the company to overcome. There's IKEAs in Nevada and Texas right

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Right it's so illogical to make this threat but this isn't an impossible feat for the company to overcome. There's IKEAs in Nevada and Texas right

are the tesla skilled workers/engineers true believers, or are they going to see what musk will probably be able to get away with paying them on top of having to move to Texas and decide to work for literally anyone else to stay in CA? 🤔

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

slicing up eyeballs posted:

are the tesla skilled workers/engineers true believers, or are they going to see what musk will probably be able to get away with paying them on top of having to move to Texas and decide to work for literally anyone else to stay in CA? 🤔

True believers for the most part. Even ones that hate the place still talkup Musk. They will move for the most party, make the journey to IKEA to get a desk and computer and work. Any engineer out of college wants to work at Tesla so there wont be a mass exodus anytime soon.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Tesla is a rotating door of Valley people who would easily go work for Google or IBM or something if Musk went to Texas. Although Austin has a pretty sizable tech base itself.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
He's doing this over an argument of 10 days

https://twitter.com/TESLAcharts/sta...ingawful.com%2F

This man is coked out of his mind

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They have a statement on their corporate site that is much more even-handed than Musk's inane tweeting. Basically, Newsom considers them essential workers, the feds consider them essential workers. It's just local government, particularly Alameda County's heatlh department, that is digging it's heels in.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The old NUMMI plant that Tesla is using in Fremont represents billions of invested money. It'd be insane to pull out. No, the workers won't move. It'd be a year+ before he could begin production at a new plant, and that's being optimistic.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I wonder if Elon will try to run for governor for shits and giggles, and then it turns serious and he's the R candidate doing a Schwarznegger

Anything's possible nowadays

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 10, 2020

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Leperflesh posted:

The old NUMMI plant that Tesla is using in Fremont represents billions of invested money. It'd be insane to pull out. No, the workers won't move. It'd be a year+ before he could begin production at a new plant, and that's being optimistic.

Not to mention that a big part of the Tesla luxury brand would evaporate if Elon Musk went full chud. There aren't exactly tons of Republicans out buying his vehicles.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The type of upper middle and above income white tech worker who smugly explains to you how much they care about the environment and points to the $100K+ Tesla they bought to drive to and from their suburban McMansion as proof does not give one flying gently caress about Musk melting down on twitter or moving his plant to Texas so he can exploit looser labor laws. Hell, him running R would probably get a ton of support from the neo-liberal crowd who are seething that Newsom has actually been taking this seriously and putting lives over keeping capital flowing for the 1%.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kaal posted:

Not to mention that a big part of the Tesla luxury brand would evaporate if Elon Musk went full chud. There aren't exactly tons of Republicans out buying his vehicles.

I wouldn't make this a standard thought, Trummp voters will buy teslas because they're sexy cars and dont cost poo poo to charge. saving money is a cross platform idea. Won't see them in priuses, but teslas are a different story.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Also Trump voters will flock to anyone that supports Trump, thinking through the logic of their own beliefs is not nearly as important as spite and cult mentality

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

The type of upper middle and above income white tech worker who smugly explains to you how much they care about the environment and points to the $100K+ Tesla they bought to drive to and from their suburban McMansion as proof does not give one flying gently caress about Musk melting down on twitter or moving his plant to Texas so he can exploit looser labor laws. Hell, him running R would probably get a ton of support from the neo-liberal crowd who are seething that Newsom has actually been taking this seriously and putting lives over keeping capital flowing for the 1%.

I’ve lost count of the number of Californian liberals who all of a sudden think moderate Republicans are just fine because at least they’re polite and well bred unlike the Orange Trash Monster in the White House. So many of them shared that recent Covid message from Dubya and talked about how much they miss the opposition being “classy”.

It’s like, those people would not shut the gently caress up about how corrupt and evil and stupid Bush was twenty years ago, but all of a sudden he strings some sentences together coherently and he’s one of the good ones now?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I genuinely thought that without starting a war, Trump wasn't going to get anywhere close to Bush's death count; but goddamn isn't he giving it a go this year.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Leperflesh posted:

What I'm angling towards is that while yes, capitalism has created the economic system that permits private property and the speculation thereof, we could at least aim for a housing situation that's no worse than the rest of the country. If, IF, we can build enough housing to satisfy demand, and make sure it's entirely natural demand, e.g., do whatever's necessary to ban speculative investment in homes. And get rid of prop 13. And do more of the state-level or at least regional-level planning overrides of local resistance to zoning reforms and expansion of public transit. You know. We can see this sort of thing all over the country, and housing markets all over the country which, if not ideal, are at least less horribly insane than we have here.

That's the argument I'd make to people resisting repeal of prop 13. Grandmas all over the country seem to be not living on cat food and camping in the street; somehow, other states are keeping the bulk of their adorable elderly housed. Maybe not perfectly, but gently caress: why does California have to be worse than those states? Couldn't we get rid of prop 13, but also do better than lovely republican-run impoverished states at keeping our grandmas housed and comfortable? We're the most economically successful state in the country, with the possible exception of new york depending on what measures you use. Can't we repeal this bullshit regressive taxation system in some sort of phased or sensible way, and be more like I dunno, Colorado or Oregon or pick your preferred liberalish niceish state? We don't have to go Full Communism Now, that's not the only alternative, we know it isn't. We can see it isn't, all over the goddamn country.

I just wanted to mention that I read your prior post, the one about your Concord place, to my Dad; who has always defended 13 in my discussions with it. It was one of the best arguments against he has ever heard, in so much as he couldn't disagree with any of the points you made.

Since like a lot of people here, I wasn't alive when 13 passed, but he was living in the bay area, he brought up something about the mentality behind it. He believes that the idea that property would be re-assessed when sold was a loophole, and that the authors didn't intend for that but to perma-freeze property tax rates with a slight yearly increase perpetually, and not creating this unfairness that residents living next to each other have vastly different tax rates. When talking about the need for it, he speaks with great disgust about the state of local government at the time. The kind of government that, absent very big cities, doesn't make the nightly news. 13 was essentially a deliberate attempt to tell city councils to drop dead by making them dependent on money handed down from Sacto, which I remember they were through the 90s. He believes tax rates were being raised rapidly by local governments in the 70s; he didn't provide examples but you can imagine a lot of small town councilors approving expensive libraries or community centers to have their name emblazoned on the opening day plaque outside the doors, because god knows even with 13 my hometown has made that mistake a few times. You basically move into a place and watch the value disappear because some Karen from The Good Part Of Town was chosen to be Mayor among the musical chairs of councilors, and decides to raise property taxes to build a Center For The Performing Arts or something. Her name will be emblazoned on it for the next 90 years, which was the real motive of the project.

I guess I can kind of see it, because when I think back I realize that the sleepy North Bay that I knew sure had a lot of different incorporated places to house a then-rural number of people. Collectively there's a lot of aging ex-hippies in there who became career politicians as a hobby and shouldn't have any real power. On top of how I'm not sure a town I can walk across in half an afternoon really needs six councilors, there's been a trendy new thing sweeping across California where the structure of council elections has been spurring racial discrimination suits from some progressive Orange County attorney who has been suing city governments all around the state for not enough minority representation.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 10, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

On top of how I'm not sure a town I can walk across in half an afternoon really needs six councilors

Like SF you mean? Why should geographical footprint decide who gets a town council?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

I wonder if Elon will try to run for governor for shits and giggles, and then it turns serious and he's the R candidate doing a Schwarznegger

Anything's possible nowadays
Lex Luthor become President, that's Musk's role model.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I just wanted to mention that I read your prior post, the one about your Concord place, to my Dad; who has always defended 13 in my discussions with it. It was one of the best arguments against he has ever heard, in so much as he couldn't disagree with any of the points you made.

I'm delighted that any shitpost I made was helpful to anyone. Very cool.

quote:

Since like a lot of people here, I wasn't alive when 13 passed, but he was living in the bay area, he brought up something about the mentality behind it. He believes that the idea that property would be re-assessed when sold was a loophole, and that the authors didn't intend for that but to perma-freeze property tax rates with a slight yearly increase perpetually, and not creating this unfairness that residents living next to each other have vastly different tax rates.

It might well have been sold to the public that way; and back then, you didn't have online resources, most people learned about new laws and propositions from mainstream media outlets, which are not always great at delving into the details.

Prop 13 fixed tax rates to 1% of their "actual cash value" and then allowed for a 2% annual inflation rate of that value. In 1976 when the law passed, inflation was at 5.76%. They knew, at the time the law was proposed, that it was capping price inflation to a number well below real inflation, at least the real inflation going on in the mid-1970s. But, the long-term average US inflation rate has been around 2% or a little less, over the last 50 or 60 years, so pegging a 2% rate wasn't all that crazy. What happened, though, is that property values rose at a rate much faster than inflation; and that, maybe, people didn't expect. House prices from the 1950s through the 1970s didn't rise all that fast.

So your dad has a point, in that when it was passed, prop 13 really didn't seem like such a bad idea. At least, if you were of the somewhat conservative opinion that property taxes were too drat high, or that local governments were assessing too much property tax.

What has happened, though, is that we now know in retrospect that limiting property tax to some low level of inflation, without paying any attention to actual property values, was a big mistake. It's OK to forgive the people who passed the law, but still recognize that it's had huge negative consequences and needs to be changed.

It's also not the case that any repeal of prop 13 has to just repeal the whole thing all at once. It's far more likely - and better - to ease back into sanity over time. Permit local governments to raise property assessments at some catch-up rate significantly higher than the 2% cap, so that they can gradually close the gap between capped and actual assessed value over a period of, say, a decade. That'd give property owners time to decide what to do, and the markets time to adjust to the new reality. You could even retain the 1% limit on taxation, although that limit isn't really a real limit: special assessments, bonds, etc. push real property tax rates (of capped valuation, of course) well into the 2%+ range for most counties.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Musk will move the Tesla plant next to the Gigafactory in loving Sparks, NV and wonder why no one wants to work out there lol

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

FCKGW posted:

Musk will move the Tesla plant next to the Gigafactory in loving Sparks, NV and wonder why no one wants to work out there lol

Just sell it as Tahoe East

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

luminalflux posted:

Like SF you mean? Why should geographical footprint decide who gets a town council?

San Francisco is one of those exceptional places, the closest example I can think of is London, where you have the City of London and then what most people call “London”, and the Supervisors oversee the whole county-city anyway. When I made that comment, I specifically contextualized it with the North Bay where I grew up. There’s a lot of evidence up there of 1930s-50s planning that didn’t work out because the people back then expected basically no development.

I would say the C&C of San Francisco is an example of how things ought to be done.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I’ve lost count of the number of Californian liberals who all of a sudden think moderate Republicans are just fine because at least they’re polite and well bred unlike the Orange Trash Monster in the White House. So many of them shared that recent Covid message from Dubya and talked about how much they miss the opposition being “classy”.

It’s like, those people would not shut the gently caress up about how corrupt and evil and stupid Bush was twenty years ago, but all of a sudden he strings some sentences together coherently and he’s one of the good ones now?

Umm, it's more of a comment about how much they hate Trump. Pretty much zero California liberals are actually pining for Dubya part.2.

predicto fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 11, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tremendous custom title + post combo.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Trump has nowhere near the death toll of GWB so proclaiming Bush some sort of arbiter of the halcyon days of decorum is not excusable because Trump is rude. Anyone who thinks GWB is "better" than Trump is someone who has a purely aesthetic view of politics.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

They also have the memory of a loving goldfish because Bush 2 was also a bumbling doofus who was embarrassing on the world stage and offensive at home.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1259945593805221891

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tesla stock is overvalued imo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Imagine having to work for this loving guy.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

loving holy poo poo.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

what is there to say but "welcome, comrade"

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Throwing him in jail sounds pointless. Let's just charge him fines.
If he was OK with burning away 10 billion dollars through a tweet, let's take another 10 billion for his negligence.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Trump has nowhere near the death toll of GWB so proclaiming Bush some sort of arbiter of the halcyon days of decorum is not excusable because Trump is rude. Anyone who thinks GWB is "better" than Trump is someone who has a purely aesthetic view of politics.

Many of these Americans were not in the age group that Bush was sending to war zones so they don’t care.

I will say that Republicans are hilarious bullshitters who are easy to own under Trump rather than the “bold of you to support our enemies since you don’t support putting small nuclear warheads on daisy cutters” aspect of Bush era Republicans.

But as much as I sneered at Hillary’s speeches about how Trump was going to be a terrible role model for children, and cause 12 year olds to say “nice tits, I’d gently caress her” because the President is just that influential, think of the little girls... I will say he seems to have a much larger change in the way Americans at home behave in adults. People still believe the same poo poo they used to, but they go about it in a much different way than they used to. People who ignore facts are much more bold in talking about it now, and the extreme factions that the Bush GOP kept under the stairs suddenly expects a turn on the stage.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

This isn't wrong, but there are in fact quite a lot of people who do care about things like decorum, normalcy, etc. As in, enough to meaningfully sway elections in some cases. I think the mistake that a lot of the politically hyper-engaged make a lot is thinking that everyone has the same outlook that they do.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I think a lot of GWB's stuff was better hidden and wrapped in a veneer of legitimacy, however thin it was. It's hard to rank the two due to how both are awful to different degrees in different ways, but they're both so far south of neutral that it hardly matters. I would personally rank GWB as being "better" at decorum than Trump is, even if it's comparing something like a D- to an F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Pigasus posted:

Throwing him in jail sounds pointless. Let's just charge him fines.
If he was OK with burning away 10 billion dollars through a tweet, let's take another 10 billion for his negligence.

The one person newstead could dunk on for points by pulling all his permits and accelerating his time table to leave CA by ejecting him with pretty much no ill effects. poo poo get the national guard to tear his production line down and box it for him to go.