Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tesseraction posted:

Gonna start a myth that Brenda is trans.
It's been done.

(The "real" Bess supposedly died in a house that's now a pub & used to be my local)

e: in 1564, Elizabeth I had allegedly been dead for 30-something years

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I have a "real" name that's on my passport and birth certificate, way too hard for white people to say, at this point I think of myself in my anglicized nickname. Some of my bills I accidentally put down that nickname and it never came to anything, they opened the account and I realised when the bills started arriving. Including my electric bill, which could surely be used as "ID". Is that the point where it would hit fraud? This country is stupid.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

bornbytheriver posted:

Why would you have some queen related art work behind you? Stupid cock.

It reminds him of Money.

Have a craven idol my son found in the wild the other day.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NcVZJtZ

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I have a "real" name that's on my passport and birth certificate, way too hard for white people to say, at this point I think of myself in my anglicized nickname. Some of my bills I accidentally put down that nickname and it never came to anything, they opened the account and I realised when the bills started arriving. Including my electric bill, which could surely be used as "ID". Is that the point where it would hit fraud? This country is stupid.

No.

As long as you're not trying to pretend you are another person in order to gain access to their finances, you're not defrauding anyone if you manage to get yourself known by a different name.

A deed poll is just a formalised way of doing what you snuck into via the electric company.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's illegal to use a legal name. :tinfoil:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Actually gently caress the keffiyeh, this is what UKMT should be wearing:

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1252018893331152896

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

No.

As long as you're not trying to pretend you are another person in order to gain access to their finances, you're not defrauding anyone if you manage to get yourself known by a different name.

A deed poll is just a formalised way of doing what you snuck into via the electric company.

Oh wow so that's basically "official" when I present the electric bill? I've accidentally changed my name?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Goddamnit, that’s what I should of been doing during my furlough, finally putting my “builders yard guillotene” design down on paper. Damnit.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Oh wow so that's basically "official" when I present the electric bill? I've accidentally changed my name?

You don’t have an “official” name in the uk it’s whatever people call you by.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Buy a scrubby plot of land in Scotland and start getting called Lord too

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Drone_Fragger posted:

c-word?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

BTW out of morbid curiosity I had a look at Wings Over Scotland to see how old Stu is finding Twitter jail and holy poo poo that site is so much worse than even I was expecting, and I was expecting bad.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Comrade Fakename posted:

BTW out of morbid curiosity I had a look at Wings Over Scotland to see how old Stu is finding Twitter jail and holy poo poo that site is so much worse than even I was expecting, and I was expecting bad.

he reposted an obvious joke tweet from a stirling uni student playing into the conspiracy nonsense that resulted in the uni getting angry phone calls and the student in question getting threats

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Drone_Fragger posted:

Don't forget it's illegal to use a legal name.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

So, funny thing about that Marie Antionette quote...

Jedit posted:

I've actually heard that what Marie Antoinette said was more in the spirit of "then why do they not eat brioche?" Not dismissive, just failing to understand that there was a problem.

It's Tuesday afternoon, it's lockdown, our bosses can't see us skivving, so are you all ready to learn some motherfucking poo poo about goddamn eighteenth-century literature and its relationship to popular culture through history Yeah you are.

So, "let them eat cake." The phrase first appears (in print) in 1782. Marie Antoinette is 28. The French Revolution is still a few years off, but she's queen, so it's a plausble connection.

However, the book it first appears in, Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, was written c1765-70, and Rousseau himself died in 1778. Marie Antoinette was born in 1755 and became queen of France in 1770. While it's not impossible that the phrase as first published relates to her, it's vanishingly unlikely. But that's not really the interesting thing.

The context of the phrase is important here. The Confessions is a kind of philosophical autobiography, by one of the most famous, most widely read, and influential writers of the Eighteenth Century (and beyond). It's maybe hard to get a handle on this, because figures like Rousseau (and Hume, and Voltaire) don't really exist now, but his influence on popular culture was huge, because he wrote and was read across multiple fields. It's worth knowing that he wrote a very popular novel (Julie, or the New Heloise), a very popular treatise on education (Emile, or On Education) and some of the most important political tracts in modern thought (the arguably anti-Enlightenment Discourse on the Origin and Basis of Inequality Among Men and The Social Contract, the source, incidentally, of another much-quoted phrase; "Man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"). Not for nothing was he asked by the Corsican government to write their constitution (he never finished it). The Confessions tied directly to Augustine in its title, but also in the sense that it promises to recount not just A Life (in the Boswellian sense), but something more racy, intimate and profound.

He was an eccentric celebrity, he dressed in a strange way, he had a scandalous private life, his ideas were both much admired and deeply controversial to the point of being criminal. When he came to England to escape persecution in the 1760s he was treated (and mistreated) by a gawping, gossiping public and press. He was also cripplingly paranoid and delusional. He was discussed publicly in the press and privately between many of the most famous names of the Eighteenth Century. Voltaire loathed him. Hume loved him, despite disagreeing with almost everything he wrote, organising his trip to England, arranging for a home, arranging for a Government pension, being a friend... right up until Rousseau turned against him, as he appears to have done to most people in his life.

The point though, is that what Rousseau wrote down, people read. They read it vociferously and passionately - he provoked emotion and interest like few other authors, particularly amongst female readers. You could even argue that he was the formative author of Romanticism.

So what does this have to do with cake, or brioche? Well, the quote in full, in his autobiography, goes like this:

quote:

At length I remembered the last resort of a great princess who, when told that the peasants had no bread, replied: "Then let them eat brioches."
Most obviously to us, there's a distinct lack of Marie Antoinette. But you might be wondering what the context of his rememberance is. Is the author of Discourse on Inequality reflecting on the vast material gulf between the princess and the peasants, perhaps? Is the writer of The Social Contract pondering the responsibilities of those with power towards those without? Is the mind behind Emile reflecting on the skewed perspective produced by an aristocratic education?

No. Jean-Jacques has the munchies:

quote:

Surrounded by stealable little objects I did not even look at, I fixed my eye instead on a certain nice little white wine from Arbois.... I took the opportunity to avail myself from time to time of a few bottles for leisurely consumption in private. Unfortunately, I have never been able to drink without eating at the same time. But how was I to procure bread? .... At length I remembered the last resort of a great princess who, when told that the peasants had no bread, replied: "Then let them eat brioches." I bought brioches. But what a business I had getting them!

So "let them eat cake" has nothing to do with Revolution, or aloof aristocracy, or linguistic confusion. It's about the lack of late night kebab shops in France circa 1750.

So why is this phrase so associated with Marie Antoinette? That's difficult to say. But, as noted, Rousseau was phenomenally popular for much of the Eighteenth and early Nineteenth centuries. This is a phrase that many people would have come across just by reading his work. That he uses it in this proverbial way (whether this usage pre-dated him or not) is likely to have been similarly influential, so the context gets easily dropped and it becomes remembered as a thing that "a great princess" has said. Marie Antoinette, being the most famous and arguably notorious great princess in the age of Rousseau readers, becomes a natural object for the phrase to attach to. As Rousseau passes out of fashion (relatively speaking, since he is still well read as eighteenth century authors go) fewer people read his work, but the the story with Marie Antoinette is a simple and intuitvely grasped parable about inequality and how those fuckers don't understand, linked to a named person who is part of the historical canon. It's easy to remember, easy to relate and easy to retell, which I suspect is why 250 years later it still resonates.

Niric fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 12, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1260224319742980097

The BBC acknowledged people have died, a massive turnaround.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1260224319742980097

The BBC acknowledged people have died, a massive turnaround.

:eyepop: "because of" and not "with"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Niric posted:

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Great effortpost, enjoyed every moment. Isn't he the dude that essentially gives really scathing criticisms of heirarchy, personal freedom, how electing a government every 5 years basically makes you a slave, is basically an anarchist and then at the last second goes 'actually no liberalism will save us'?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Niric posted:

It's Tuesday afternoon, it's lockdown, our bosses can't see us skivving, so are you all ready to learn some motherfucking poo poo about goddamn eighteenth-century literature and its relationship to popular culture through history Yeah you are.

Cool post. That was enlightening.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

It's maybe hard to get a handle on this, because figures like Rousseau (and Hume, and Voltaire) don't really exist now, but his influence on popular culture was huge ...

He was an eccentric celebrity, he dressed in a strange way, he had a scandalous private life, his ideas were both much admired and deeply controversial to the point of being criminal. When he came to England to escape persecution in the 1760s he was treated (and mistreated) by a gawping, gossiping public and press. He was also cripplingly paranoid and delusional. He was discussed publicly in the press and privately between many of the most famous names of the Eighteenth Century.

Guavanaut posted:

All involved with Jimmy Savile too.

This is a very good read though. It does sound like he's reflecting something that was well known (at least among a certain group of readers of l'histoire) as a thing that was said by a person in a different context to beer snacks.

e:

Miftan posted:

Great effortpost, enjoyed every moment. Isn't he the dude that essentially gives really scathing criticisms of heirarchy, personal freedom, how electing a government every 5 years basically makes you a slave, is basically an anarchist and then at the last second goes 'actually no liberalism will save us'?
He at least had the excuse that nobody had really tried liberalism then, and there was one European anarchist thinker who was probably a bearded dude in a barrel throwing shoes at people.

That gives him an excuse that modern Liberals don't have.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 12, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1260233393838620675?s=21

We handled this worse than Spain by all metrics, but Italy is still a mystery because their excess death data is now extremely out of date.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/EHRC/status/1260210162809409541

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Fumble posted:

It reminds him of Money.

Have a craven idol my son found in the wild the other day.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NcVZJtZ

:catstare:

I would never clutter my already limited overpriced dog house of a space with queen, captain tom, etc.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, does it?

Like, an abusive organisation has said it is investigating the abuse, and that's enough?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Comrade Fakename posted:

it did at least bring my attention to this, objectively a Great Tweet on scottish politics. strange Wings posted it on his Constant Normal One Blog as if it was self-evidently bad. it's almost as if there's something... about this person... he is uncomfortable with....

https://twitter.com/YesWithDex/status/1259190483961745409

Niric posted:

So it's a bit like if in a hundred years everyone thinks Boris Johnson said "Some of you may die, but that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make" after all the memes of it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Like, an abusive organisation has said it is investigating the abuse, and that's enough?

The EHRC is brazenly corrupt and also refused to investigate Windrush

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Big influence on Robespierre.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

The EHRC is brazenly corrupt and also refused to investigate Windrush

Can't believe an organisation founded by Trevor Phillips wouldn't give a poo poo about islamophobia

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jesus christ

Reminder that Monopoly was created by a woman as a criticism of capitalism, and the concept was then stolen and sold by a man.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 12, 2020

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Miftan posted:

Short answer: yes.
Better answer: yes and no
Proper answer: Rousseau is...idiosyncratic, and linking him to any coherent and consistent school of thought (besides "...was an influence on," which will cover a wide range) - or even trying to make his own body of work coherent and consistent - might not be the best approach. He's an amazing writer, and I think he's still very readable, but he's also a contrarian and controversialist, somehow both cynical and naive. You could probably make the (very unfair) argument that he's a prototype of a certain kind of ranty author who becomes massively popular by telling people that society is bad, actually (but not for the reasons you think). Even in the eighteenth century a lot of people admired him for his prose rather than any particularly powerful argument (Hume again). He's interesting as hell, but (or maybe because) he's not rigorous

Niric fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 12, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Didn't he also have a really offputting relationship with an underaged girl as well? Or is that another French philosopher?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

thespaceinvader posted:

The Conservative Party will be conducting an independent investigation into the Conservative Party.

Like Labour's independent investigation into the traitor leaks.

wtf do words even mean

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1260235038756667393?s=20

https://twitter.com/dismalplaces/status/1260238468745232390?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ron has no regrets.

https://twitter.com/DickKingSmith/status/1260242545654759424

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

You could probably make the (very unfair) argument that he's a prototype of a certain kind of ranty author who becomes by telling people that society is bad, actually (but not for the reasons you think).
At least 2/3 of his portraits have him doing the smugface glancing at something off frame look that typifies terrible op-eds.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
using the name and portrait of a dead philosopher is also a major red flag

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hi thread, sorry for the relatively inane question but nowhere else on SA to really ask this: am I right in my interpretation of OFGEM guidelines that if I agreed a fixed energy tariff in January and suddenly my supplier comes back now claiming I am £400 in debit because the direct debit for the fixed tariff isn't covering the bill, they have broken the guidelines by not immediately informing me the rate they were billing me at is higher than the agreed tariff? Smashed my credit rating by over 100 points.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The direct debit is calculated over the year, so once we are into summer proper a lot of that debt will be reduced, because your payments will be more than usage.

So you aren't really in debt, and i'm pretty sure they can't call it in. If they do try you might consider a complaint, but you will need to complain to them first. Ofgem won't do anything until you have been through their complaints procedure. While the complaint is pending they shouldn't go to a debt collector, and if you make a token payment of £50 it might keep them off your back. Your credit rating shouldn't have been affected because that debt doesn't really exist yet, nearly all customers are in debt at the end of winter by design.

Also make sure that the bill had the right meter numbers, and the right meter readings. If it doesn't you can tell em that the bill is incorrect and they need to issue a new one. Which can take months

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Hi thread, sorry for the relatively inane question but nowhere else on SA to really ask this: am I right in my interpretation of OFGEM guidelines that if I agreed a fixed energy tariff in January and suddenly my supplier comes back now claiming I am £400 in debit because the direct debit for the fixed tariff isn't covering the bill, they have broken the guidelines by not immediately informing me the rate they were billing me at is higher than the agreed tariff? Smashed my credit rating by over 100 points.

Do you take your own meter readings? Can you calculate what you have used since January using the tariff you are supposed to be on (and don't forget the VAT and standing charges)? Then you can check what you do owe v what you have paid and get them to increase the DD or increase it yourself if you have online account management?

When I moved in to my flat, I took over the bills from completion of purchase but didn't actually move in for about a month so had practically zero usage for a month - just the fridge and a few lights when I was moving stuff in.
They set my DD at £24 pm, heading in to winter, after checking my usage for a month, I upped my DD to £60pm and then in March paid an extra £62 to zero my account.

Now I am running with the £60pm DD to build up a surplus before next winter - I'm closely monitoring my usage and it'll dropped to about £40pm now and probably stay like that through summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks for the replies. We supply the meter readings via emailed photographs. We do have online account management which is how we noticed the debit. To be honest the need to raise the direct debit to address the shortfall is fine, we can afford that. It is more the dramatic hit on the credit score which has caused my anger, but think I need to challenge them on that.