Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Thanks for the replies. We supply the meter readings via emailed photographs. We do have online account management which is how we noticed the debit. To be honest the need to raise the direct debit to address the shortfall is fine, we can afford that. It is more the dramatic hit on the credit score which has caused my anger, but think I need to challenge them on that.

Just a question - do you know it's them that have hit your credit rating? Have they notified you of this?
Do you check experian or whatever? My experian rating was very high, I cleared absolutely every last 1p off my credit cards as well as having not missed a payment on anything for decades and hit the top rating. Nothing changed and a couple of months later, my rating went down by 20 points for no known reason other than that I had had no 'credit' (debt) for 2 months! Haven't looked lately because I have used the cards a bit this year for furniture and stuff (though clearing all bar one with 0% and I'm overpaying the minimum by a lot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Rousseau's autobiography is well worth reading. It's startingly (and sometimes grossly) honest, although you do have to read it through the filter of his paranoia and persecution complex that the previous poster mentioned. It's one of those works like Tom Jones, that really takes you back into the 18th century.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just a question - do you know it's them that have hit your credit rating? Have they notified you of this?
Do you check experian or whatever? My experian rating was very high, I cleared absolutely every last 1p off my credit cards as well as having not missed a payment on anything for decades and hit the top rating. Nothing changed and a couple of months later, my rating went down by 20 points for no known reason other than that I had had no 'credit' (debt) for 2 months! Haven't looked lately because I have used the cards a bit this year for furniture and stuff (though clearing all bar one with 0% and I'm overpaying the minimum by a lot).

Last month rating was fine, queried the debit last week and suddenly have a short term bad debt on my credit report for utilities. It's possible it's not them but the timing is uncanny.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Last month rating was fine, queried the debit last week and suddenly have a short term bad debt on my credit report for utilities. It's possible it's not them but the timing is uncanny.

It might not be. I found experian seems to lag by a month-6 weeks.
But yeah, it might be them. But normally they'd just jack up your direct debit.
Which energy company is it btw? I'm thinking of changing when my current 'deal' runs out (as I am being royally ripped off by SSE/Swalec) - so which to avoid.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

O-Unit posted:

Anyway she has developed a slight cough in the past few days, and her Area Manager has ordered her to self-isolate on SSP again. Thing is, she doesn't believe this cough is Covid-related because a) she doesn't have a fever, and b) she has already had a spell of the full Covid symptoms (dry-cough, fever, loss of smell, etc.) last month, for which she self-isolated as she should have done. She has applied for a Covid test, but she hasn't even had an invitation to chose a timeslot yet so who knows how long that whole process is going to take with the current backlog.

The first period of 14 days of SSP ate most of her savings, and she's going to struggle if she has to do it again. Her poor landlord isn't budging on deferring her rent because "why should he take the hit". Of course in an ideal world she would have some kind of support to do the right thing for the sake of public health just in case it is Covid, but here we are.

It just doesn't feel right that she is forced to take SSP if it's not her decision to stay off because she feels able to work. In the before-times she'd have been lambasted for not dragging herself in whilst looking like death warmed up!

Should she be a capitalist's wet dream and fight for the pleasure of going to work? Is it law or simply strong government 'advice' to isolate if you have one very common symptom?

Didn't see another reply to this so I will pick up.

Landlord needs some guillotine. Might be worth just stopping paying if money is that tight. He is forbidden from evicting her at least until 30 June I think, and this may be extended if furloughing has been. Maybe engage with him again and point out that reduced rent for a month or two would be far better than insolvency of his tenant.

As for the fever, about 12% of people with confirmed cases of COVID-19 have no fever, so it's certainly plausible that she can still have it without. (Presumably the real number is vastly higher than 12%, given the completely asymptomatic cases). That said, it does seem unlikely if she previously had the full gamut of symptoms, although I think the jury is still out on the immunity level you get from catching it once. Maybe she has it again, but a mild version? But as you say, could just be a cough.

I can understand why a shop employer would want to play it safe and get a worker with a cough to self isolate I guess, especially if other workers might be concerned and not want her to be there.

IANAL and I'm not up to reading the whole of the act, but based on the headings, I'd suggest she wouldn't be breaking the law by struggling into work, unless she'd had an assessment and been directed not to. Most of the powers seem to relate to people who are known to have COVID-19 and are refusing to comply with orders.

You might be interested in Schedule 29 covering eviction protection and maybe Part 2 covering powers relating to potentially infectious people in England & Wales.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 12, 2020

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It might not be. I found experian seems to lag by a month-6 weeks.
But yeah, it might be them. But normally they'd just jack up your direct debit.
Which energy company is it btw? I'm thinking of changing when my current 'deal' runs out (as I am being royally ripped off by SSE/Swalec) - so which to avoid.

Zebra. I know what you're saying, next port of call is the credit score company.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I have a "real" name that's on my passport and birth certificate, way too hard for white people to say, at this point I think of myself in my anglicized nickname. Some of my bills I accidentally put down that nickname and it never came to anything, they opened the account and I realised when the bills started arriving. Including my electric bill, which could surely be used as "ID". Is that the point where it would hit fraud? This country is stupid.

We don't really have a "legal name" as such in the UK, your name's just... whatever you use, really. The actual process of changing your name, for example, is you tell everyone to start using whatever your new name is. That's literally all of it. Now, because a lot of people don't know that and assume there is a legal name and a legal process for changing it, you often do well to have some piece of paper stating your name, and similar official-looking things for changes etc., but it's not strictly required, just makes things easier. e3; So the point I was trying to get at and failed to actually spell out is that I don't think it's fraud as you're not trying to pretend you're someone else? IANAL ofc.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1260224319742980097

The BBC acknowledged people have died, a massive turnaround.

A) Wild that they're finally saying it's because of Corona-chan
B) gently caress me that's a lot of dead people :gonk:

e; Surprised to see Sunak has extended the furlough scheme for so long, and I can see it's trying to weasel around it a bit by saying it's actually going to start ending in August or the like, but I assume the 50k deaths news put the frighteners on certain people

e2; Goodpost Niric :discourse:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 12, 2020

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Speaking of Wings, if anyone fancied helping me boost this tweet, that would be much appreciated.

https://twitter.com/KlezmerRouge/status/1260298954517987330?s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Coohoolin posted:

Speaking of Wings, if anyone fancied helping me boost this tweet, that would be much appreciated.

great phrasing there, "rapey-looking woman-haters and brainless handmaidens". even outside the weird "rapey" part he's accusing people of hating women and then... saying how the women who disagree with him are all brainless? great work

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Angepain posted:

great phrasing there, "rapey-looking woman-haters and brainless handmaidens". even outside the weird "rapey" part he's accusing people of hating women and then... saying how the women who disagree with him are all brainless? great work

Reactionary social conservatives pretending to stand up for women's rights have form for this.

https://twitter.com/lisaquestions/status/1258574589585547264?s=09

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Coohoolin posted:

Incredibly good @ there

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't think it's fraud as you're not trying to pretend you're someone else? IANAL ofc.
Idk poo poo about this but I had a bit of a benny at some City lawyer oval office about this a while back because I didn't want him deadnaming somebody in a settlement deed & he eventually agreed that yeah this is true

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Anyone got a suggestion for the Ladybird Book of Modern Monetary Theory & Sovereign Debt? Or even Janet & John level? (Do they still have Janet & John books at kindergarten?)

I feel the need to finally try and swot up on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is the most Janet & John MMT thing I've seen.

It explains a great deal of MMT and also Keynesian monetary theory in a simple graphic.

In the 50s the UK did legit have an economic hydraulic computer running on plumbing principles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOhYROKeu4

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

This is the most Janet & John MMT thing I've seen.

It explains a great deal of MMT and also Keynesian monetary theory in a simple graphic.

In the 50s the UK did legit have an economic hydraulic computer running on plumbing principles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOhYROKeu4

Fab. Shall print off and study carefully :)

I did look in the OP for this thread but didn't see anything, maybe worth putting a link in there? Sure I'm not the only one who is a bit fingers-crossed-behind-my-back on this topic!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also "the economy" should probably be a variable size container.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sajid Javid: And if I stop paying a plumber to check my boiler every year I can afford a much bigger sink, which as an Atlas Genius I can fit myself.

The Downstairs Neighbours: :(

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/AVMikhailova/status/1260311767948951557?s=20

Austerity is back *wolf howl*

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Was this posted?

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1260257779304017923?s=20

It was pointed out in the replies to this that this wasn't Peter Bone anxious to be on tv (as suggested by some replies), but a statement he made to the online House of Commons parliament today which C4 have posted.

Ed: Am I right in thinking that "the government" is the (technically) Crown-appointed PM + ministers, and is not the same as "parliament" which is the MPs & Lords?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 12, 2020

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Clap for NHS!!!

Freeze pay!!!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Kevino07 posted:

Austerity is back *wolf howl*

Couldn't they just, I don't know, increase taxes on all the big international corporations or something. Just look at what Ireland is doing in that area and then do the complete opposite

Or even (in 2nd place, still important, but not nearly as important) tax the rich

In more realistic thoughts, someone linked that Elle website for masks. Are those any good? Where to buy decent masks in the UK? Prefer multi-use, don't need to be Chernobyl-proof

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Love to support our nurses.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I think we're going to start seeing a subtle undermining of the key/essential workers picking up speed over the next few months to 'put them back in their place' after all this 'hero' stuff.
I noticed from that graph someone posted earlier of public approval that there's been a slight drop in NHS approval.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 12, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/12/musk_factory_fight/

Musk is really going off the deep end.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Zebra. I know what you're saying, next port of call is the credit score company.

If the credit score company do point the finger at Zebra, complain, and complain publicly. Taking a quick look at Zebra, they're one of the energy companies that's following Bulb's trend of taking great interest and care of their Trustpilot scores. You should be able to get an actual human response from someone who's empowered to resolve your complaint pretty drat quickly by posting a lovely one star review on the site.

Is the £400 debt they're claiming based on the difference between total direct debit payments so far and actual usage? It's worth checking the bills and photos that you've sent them to make sure that there's not a gently caress-up such as a digit being transcribed incorrectly, or two digits being swapped position. This is, by the way, an argument in favour of getting a smart meter: it masively reduces the number of interactions where someone can make a mistake when reading your meter.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

i saw the "musk_factory_fight" url and got all excited that he had gotten in some kind of fistfight with the cops sent to arrest him

sadly elon is still allowed to walk and tweet freely. a tradegy

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Was this posted?

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1260257779304017923?s=20

It was pointed out in the replies to this that this wasn't Peter Bone anxious to be on tv (as suggested by some replies), but a statement he made to the online House of Commons parliament today which C4 have posted.

Ed: Am I right in thinking that "the government" is the (technically) Crown-appointed PM + ministers, and is not the same as "parliament" which is the MPs & Lords?

Peter Bone is a twat, and the only reason he isn't the worst Bone in Parliament is that Philip Hollobone has a decent case for being the worst person in Parliament, fullstop.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kingturnip posted:

Peter Bone is a twat, and the only reason he isn't the worst Bone in Parliament is that Philip Hollobone has a decent case for being the worst person in Parliament, fullstop.

He may be a twat but in stopped clock tradition, he is right here.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/fatfei_/status/1260265318359937024?s=19

Howling at the British public.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'd be suspicious of a doctor who feels like talking to the Torygraph is the best use of their time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

There's uh..... there's a lot there, huh?

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

One of those people is an irl friend who is worried about this being plastered around so not sure boosting is great. Needless to say my friend is not as Campbell suggests he is.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Does Glinner actually self appoint himself king of the feminists?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

There shouldn’t be any credit hit unless you’ve missed a payment.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

buses absolutely heaving this morning, tube and trains also.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think we're going to start seeing a subtle undermining of the key/essential workers picking up speed over the next few months to 'put them back in their place' after all this 'hero' stuff.
I noticed from that graph someone posted earlier of public approval that there's been a slight drop in NHS approval.

This but remove "mortal" and replace with "prole scum and we hate you and hope you die"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

zentigeist posted:

It just makes sense doesn't it? As a man his opinions. Are just more important than women's, its just lucky he's there to protect them from thier own self loathing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

zentigeist posted:

He's seriously mentally ill and after being radicalised by the TERFs has completely lost touch with reality.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Re: MMT, I've got a reminder in my calendar that this comes out on June 9th

https://www.publicaffairsbooks.com/titles/stephanie-kelton/the-deficit-myth/9781541736184/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's seriously mentally ill and after being radicalised by the TERFs has completely lost touch with reality.

Daily reminder that it started because he lost a ball and developed a pathology about emasculation