Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

malignman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Electric Hobo posted:

I need some help coming up with some stupid blood/violence/Khorne themed puns for the positions in a human Blood Bowl team. Blitzer is obviously bloodzer, and catcher could be cutcher, but I'm stumped about thrower and lineman. Does anyone have any ideas?
It'll be written on their bases, so it okay if it really stupid.

Linemangler and uh... Axe thrower? Plower?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Draw and Quarterback

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

KozmoNaut posted:

I posted this in the unspiration thread Re: enamel paints and what my 12yo self did with them on the left, but I figured the one on the right (which I'm finishing up today) was decent enough to post here.

23-ish years between them, with on-off periods of hobbying, mostly off unfortunately.

Still one of my all-time favorite minis.

I love it. The old heroquest stuff was so much fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

so it okay if it really stupid.

End-of-the-Lineman

Throw(tripp)er

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

but I'm stumped about thrower and lineman.

something something Skull Thrown

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Grundma posted:

I love it. The old heroquest stuff was so much fun.

The sculpts are so great, they're straight forward and clear with distinct silhouettes, with some carefully chosen details and room to experiment. They were way beyond the usual fare for kids' boardgames, including the scenery.

I assume they were specifically designed to draw kids into painting without overwhelming them, which is kind of obvious when they included awesome pictures of painted minis right in the manual.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 12, 2020

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
WIP on these grossbois

(the green's, oddly enough, going to be a purple probably)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

catcher could be cutcher,

Clotcher, surely!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skails posted:

Thanks, it was kinda a happy accident. That white has such poor coverage, but I like the energy of the slashes.

This guy is awesome, love the pink flames!

Painted up this space elf cat.

This is super late but woahhh I love the fur texture you got out of this.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Mainlineman.

Thrower Blood

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I want to magnetize the bases of my minis for easier/safer storage, magnetic painting handles and so on. Ordinary hollow GW-style bases are no problem, just a bit of epoxy/green stuff/superglue+baking soda or whatever and a little magnet fits perfectly under there.

But the old Hero Quest bases have no such luxury, they're solid and not very thick (~2mm), so trying to drill a hole to fit my 6mm by 1mm magnets without drilling all the way through the base is probably not going to happen. I could just slap a slightly bigger GW base underneath the standard base, but that seems a bit silly. The nuclear option is to completely remove the stock bases and rebase on GW bases, but that seems excessive.

I looked into magnetic sheets/tape, but they all warn you to never ever stick any neodymium magnets on them, or they'll demagnetize. Not very cool if I'm going to be using magnetic painting handles. I'm sure I could drill a bunch of holes and put little 2mm by 1mm magnets in there, but what a fiddly mess that would be.

What do you guys do, or do you just not bother at all?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 12, 2020

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

KozmoNaut posted:

I want to magnetize the bases of my minis for easier/safer storage, magnetic painting handles and so on. Ordinary hollow GW-style bases are no problem, just a bit of epoxy/green stuff/superglue+baking soda or whatever and a little magnet fits perfectly under there.

But the old Hero Quest bases have no such luxury, they're solid and not very thick, so trying to drill a hole to fit my 6mm by 1mm magnets without drilling all the way through the base is probably not going to happen. I could just slap a slightly bigger GW base underneath the standard base, but that seems a bit silly. The nuclear option is to completely remove the stock bases and rebase on GW bases, but that seems excessive.

I looked into magnetic sheets/tape, but they all warn you to never ever stick any neodymium magnets on them, or they'll demagnetize. Not very cool if I'm going to be using magnetic painting handles.

What do you guys do, or do you just not bother at all?

I'd probably just use blutack for the painting part then use the adhesive sheet magnets later for storage. Since its a nice flat base with light models you should be able to get a decent hold for painting even if its one of the bigger ones like the gargoyle or the yeti. Please post photos of the other Heroquest models when you paint them, I'm really looking forward to it. Unfortunately the set I played on was a friend's who I've long lost contact with so I dont have them myself to paint so I'm living vicariously through you.

I did however pick up a certain model from Battle Masters off Ebay to paint up so my nostalgia will be sated one way or another.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm lucky enough to have two complete* sets of the original Hero Quest minis, and a set of Kellar's Keep minis. I could never find any of the other expansion packs for sale back then, and they're obviously hilariously expensive to buy now. I wish MB and GW would do a new production run of the base game and all the expansions in one giant box as a sort of ultimate edition or something. No updated versions of anything, just a new production run that's true to the original. Maybe it's just me, but I bet it would sell like hotcakes.

*(All the characters and boss-type monsters are there, some of the orc and goblins and whatnot have wandered off)

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Despite its age the piranha kit can turn out pretty with some light modifications.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that base :eyepop:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Bit of a rushed paintjob, but I love him anyway.

Meet my DnD character - Johnny Twelve Fingers, a lazy, unambitious wizard who runs a lovely magic store in the shabby part of town and cheats at dice games using magic. He usually doesn't get out much, but he has to skip town for a little while because he was caught cheating by the wrong people.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Geisladisk posted:

Meet my DnD character - Johnny Twelve Fingers, a lazy, unambitious wizard who runs a lovely magic store in the shabby part of town and cheats at dice games using magic. He usually doesn't get out much, but he has to skip town for a little while because he was caught cheating by the wrong people.

this is the kind of D&D character I like to play as

just a loser

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Although I'm still working on finishing all my infantry level models like Rubric marines, exalted sorcerers, and scrab occult termies, I took advantage of the GW webstore opening back up to order a vindicator and Hellbrute to start to fill out some of my kill team turned regular 40k army. I'm also going to use the hellbrute to do my first experimenting with magnetizing a model so I can swap out arms and weapons. Anyway, I've not painted anything as big as a hellbrute or vindicator, is it really much different than painting minis? I'd think it would be easier given the model isn't as small, but are there any tips or tricks I should know before I go into painting them, even it if won't be for like another month or more? I assume assemble, prime, paint, and finish are all about the same?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Werix posted:

Although I'm still working on finishing all my infantry level models like Rubric marines, exalted sorcerers, and scrab occult termies, I took advantage of the GW webstore opening back up to order a vindicator and Hellbrute to start to fill out some of my kill team turned regular 40k army. I'm also going to use the hellbrute to do my first experimenting with magnetizing a model so I can swap out arms and weapons. Anyway, I've not painted anything as big as a hellbrute or vindicator, is it really much different than painting minis? I'd think it would be easier given the model isn't as small, but are there any tips or tricks I should know before I go into painting them, even it if won't be for like another month or more? I assume assemble, prime, paint, and finish are all about the same?

In past experiences, you don't need to go too highlight-crazy with larger models. You're looking more for good blends than anything else. You also want to use as much airbrushing or rattlecan as you can get away with, as it'll significantly speed up the painting process, especially for vehicles.

On the plus side, with as big a surface are as you'll be working with, it's a great time to experiment with weathering effects. Dirt, chipped paint, blood splatters, random runes and markers--you got a large painting surface with things like a vindicator, so don't be afraid to get inventive.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the Khorne name suggestions! I'm a big fan of Linemangler, but there's a certain simplicity and sillyness to just adding 'Blood' to the names. Just like GW did with the entire AoS Khorne range!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Electric Hobo posted:

Thanks for the Khorne name suggestions! I'm a big fan of Linemangler, but there's a certain simplicity and sillyness to just adding 'Blood' to the names. Just like GW did with the entire AoS Khorne range!

Bloodlinemangler

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

Holy poo poo this guy rules.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Get a treasure chest or something, put it on a separate base, and paint it up as a cooler full of beer. Have it follow him wherever he goes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

R0ckfish posted:

Despite its age the piranha kit can turn out pretty with some light modifications.

As always your beach bases look fantastic.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Loden Taylor posted:

Get a treasure chest or something, put it on a separate base, and paint it up as a cooler full of beer. Have it follow him wherever he goes.

"Is your familiar a mimic full of bud lite?"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Is your familiar a mimic full of bud lite?"

"Of course not... It's Natty Light."

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Just got the greeny tentaclly bits to do in purple now

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Of course not... It's Natty Light."

:hmmyes:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Just got the greeny tentaclly bits to do in purple now

How'd you manage that purple? Just Shyish purple over the top?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Thanqol posted:

How'd you manage that purple? Just Shyish purple over the top?

it's actually a colour shift metalic under the rust effects that baaaaaaarely shows through, it's a green/"tin" purple colour from the vallejo galaxy dust set

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the 40K thread:

JackMann posted:

I picked up one of those acrylic photography things that everyone's been using lately and got some very good advice from Booley. That allowed me to get a better picture of Ghaz:

Still not as good as his pictures, but definitely a step up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bought one of these aromatherapy/essential oil carry cases recently, and it's just perfect for someone like me, who lives in a small apartment with no room for a permanent hobby setup. It's so much better than the MDF rack I used before. I dunno if everyone else is already using these, but it's new to me and dropper bottles are an absolutely perfect fit.

Now I've got my paints in this case, various tools and supplies in a tackle box, minis in a cookie tin (magnets, yo) and my brushes in my wet palette's storage compartment, everything is quick to get in and out of the storage closet. I've also grown quite attached to my little HobbyZone painting station, it keeps me from spilling stuff on my desk and keeps brushes and tools handy while I work, it's the best thing short of an actual permanent setup.

The aromatherapy case has a purple zipper and some flowers and stuff on it, it's pretty rad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 13, 2020

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Slimnoid posted:

In past experiences, you don't need to go too highlight-crazy with larger models. You're looking more for good blends than anything else. You also want to use as much airbrushing or rattlecan as you can get away with, as it'll significantly speed up the painting process, especially for vehicles.

On the plus side, with as big a surface are as you'll be working with, it's a great time to experiment with weathering effects. Dirt, chipped paint, blood splatters, random runes and markers--you got a large painting surface with things like a vindicator, so don't be afraid to get inventive.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I was planning on going hog wild with some of the larger transfers on the Vindicator, along with the smaller ones sprinkled about. I really like the lines of script that the Word Bearers have, and might use them on the Vindicator as well.

I found this video series on magnetizing a hellbrute which makes it look really easy to do. so I plan to do that to give me as many weapon options as I can. I'll probably do something similar with a Daemonprince I have with the weapon arms too.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with Anvil Industry minis? I have my eyes on the Primaris Exo Lord sniper as an eliminator sergeant stand-in.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Vlex posted:

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with Anvil Industry minis? I have my eyes on the Primaris Exo Lord sniper as an eliminator sergeant stand-in.

I've ordered various parts from them and seen mini casts first hand, they have been crisp and perfectly cast from my experience.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Vlex posted:

I'm also interested. I've been eyeing up their robed cultists to use with Chaos for a long time. Plus their not-sororitas line looks better than GW's does.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ordered their mobile weapons platforms years ago and they turned out to be pretty solid, if basic, sculpts. Been wanting to order some of their female regiment stuff but the shipping costs kick me in the balls every time I look at stuff.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
These are fun & fast to paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Werix posted:

I'm also interested. I've been eyeing up their robed cultists to use with Chaos for a long time. Plus their not-sororitas line looks better than GW's does.

The robed cultists where exactly what my friend brought, they looked good. The resin can be a bit fragile if dropped though.