Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Just got my loving money and only 47 days after rent was due

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Forced job search providers are really helping the unemployed here in Australia.

https://twitter.com/JeremyPoxon/status/1260353664603938816

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1260351202962931712

quote:

The FEMA spokesperson said they are aware of those fires and that the states are returning the ventilators to it “out of an abundance of caution.”

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

:hmmyes:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/economy/consumer-prices-april/index.html

CNN posted:

Falling prices might sound like a good thing, but economists agree that deflation -- the opposite of inflation -- would be very bad news.

but Venezuela :qq:   :cry:

Mint the coin!

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Checkpoints at the Cal border. No more zonies allowed.

western pact needs to close its borders ASAP

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

How does a ventilator catch fire

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

overmind2000 posted:

How does a ventilator catch fire

Something pumping pure oxygen around is not the sort of thing you want sparks near.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

brugroffil posted:

This model has been terrible from the start. They just keep "revising" it after it turns out hilariously wrong yet again

on the one hand, the more recent IHME versions are lightyears ahead of the old one. revisions are a really good thing to do. moreover, they actually have an epidemiological transmission model tacked on now. it's good enough that it allows for a second peak in the US right now and has huge uncertainty bounds over the next couple months instead of everything disappearing to zero. they're doing a much better job communicating the movement data that they're using on the back end.

on the other hand, its projections for italy have insanely tight uncertainty bounds (though their focus is on modeling the US and I think parts of the model are turned off for other regions), and today's michigan deaths are again (slightly) outside the high-end estimate (90 vs. 89). In general it's being optimistic that daily death rates will go down, even in places like Iowa where they've been monotonically increasing for weeks.

on the gripping hand, every model is wrong but some are useful, so let me play devil's advocate for a moment.

IHME was primarily developed to provide estimates of healthcare capacity needs for decision makers. Was it effective at that? Well their actual model of expected ICU/all bed values kinda sucked but they set the uncertainty so wide that the high bound was a factor of ten higher than the low bound, and told healthcare providers to plan for something on the high end. This functionally meant that everyone was being told "whatever you have, get more of it," and given the PPE shortages and real uncertainty about how many people were going to come down with it, this was prudent guidance to be giving back in march and early april, especially in hotspots.

The big problem was that the IHME model was not only used for internal capacity decisions but as the #1 go-to model for the federal government projections for the entire scope of the pandemic. It's easy to see why - the post-peak model sucked utter poo poo and was insanely optimistic about how effective social distancing would be. Some of its assumptions are justifiable for a first-pass solution needed NOW, but also made it super useful for justifying lovely policy.

Another underlying issue, where a couple decisions would have made a dramatic difference, was that IHME decided to make public all the post-peak projections on its flashy site. Anyone could open it up, fire up their country or state page, and feel good about what it was saying. It was purpose-built to make its projections look good. The actual values for historic data fade cleanly and exactly into the modeled values for projected data, making the user think "wow, it's been bang-on! I can trust this" when in reality it's been all over the map and all those past errors are hidden in CSV files you have to parse yourself if you want the whole story.

What the modelers should have done is accepted that they knew nothing out past a very limited timeframe and refused to provide months-out projections, or at least not the kind of projections that suggested uncertainty was dropping over time and that everything would be over by June. That shouldn't have passed even the most basic sniff test, and while they cemented their position as the modeling team of choice the way they did it was borderline malpractice. Statements saying "whoa, this is a misuse of the model" would have probably hosed their credibility with the public but should have been made. Even better, they could have provided only key values to key decision makers.

What they have now is a much more interesting model, and I expect they've been building it since the day they released the first version. The team states in their update notes that their focus is no longer on hospital bed projections but on capturing dynamics that might lead to a second wave or outbreaks in new regions. It's fully focused on the US, even though it still makes other countries' projections available. Once we get a couple weeks past the "reopening" of various states and if movement data spikes it's going to be very interesting to see if they're able to turn that into real outbreak forecasts. If the new model with its new purpose is again used to tell decision makers to "do everything you can or you might be hosed" but with stay-at-home orders instead of PPE then I'd say it's pretty good and they're doing their jobs.

However, they need a much better way of communicating the uncertainty in the months-out projections and a way of showing the effect of possible future scenarios. Updating the expected death count is all well and good, but what would be better is being honest about what a true worst-case-scenario would be and showing how various policy interventions may affect that value. My understanding is that they should have enough data now to estimate the effect of policies on Rt and I hope they're working towards ways of communicating that.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1260354593097084929

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
how do i be a better person about resenting the absolute gently caress out of my white collar remote working friends

edit: like theyre all oh its a little dull but we're settled in and saving so much money on going out and traveling that we'll buy a house and have a kid and stuff soon

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

shovelbum posted:

how do i be a better person about resenting the absolute gently caress out of my white collar remote working friends

edit: like theyre all oh its a little dull but we're settled in and saving so much money on going out and traveling that we'll buy a house and have a kid and stuff soon

what makes you resent them?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

what makes you resent them?

like drat i gotta go out and do my usual job but also maybe die of a plague here soon! i'm not wfh im just on a long-scheduled vacation and my wifes wfh is probs gonna end by fall

worst loving vacation ever

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

shovelbum posted:

like drat i gotta go out and do my usual job but also maybe die of a plague here soon! i'm not wfh im just on a long-scheduled vacation and my wifes wfh is probs gonna end by fall

Yeah but your friends working remotely has no impact on whether you can work remote.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

shovelbum posted:

Think of it as the same thing as then lucking into a job by randomness, or getting a student loan forgiven, or inheritance from a long lost relative. just congratulate them on the windfall

Hell, I consider the expanded UI a windfall,- for the first time in my life I'm not scrambling to find another job to pay the rent, can actually find time to study for certifications and maybe get a real career. The families I talk to with the parents working are having to have one parent get up at 4 am and work uninterrupted, then share childcare, then the other parent work til midnight to get anything done.

Anyone with a wfh job and no kids won the lottery and that's fine, it's ok to be jealous but just move past it

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
1500 deaths today vs 2500 for tuesday last week

we're never going to show those numbers again imho, nyc is going down in death counts and reopening states have gotten the message

there is zero incentive to accurately count deaths and tons of incentives for reopening states to not do so

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

shovelbum posted:

being upset about that makes sense. it doesn't have to make you resentful of them in particular that the situation is legitimately unfair. redirecting your anger towards our government response can help, but can only go so far. i find that finding and stating small things that you are thankful for helps tamp down resentment. eg: neither of you have it (you don't have to add "yet" here), that you have a job that you seemed to like, that your wife has been able to wfh at all, that you still have food security, etc. that isn't to say you should be content with what's happening; you can have anger about the situation without it overwhelming you.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Pretty big preprint findings here:

https://twitter.com/SystemsVirology/status/1260180273158750208

quote:

One of the features distinguishing SARS-CoV-2 from its more pathogenic counterpart SARS-CoV is the presence of premature stop codons in its ORF3b gene. Here, we show that SARS-CoV-2 ORF3b is a potent interferon antagonist, suppressing the induction of type I interferon more efficiently than its SARS-CoV ortholog. Phylogenetic analyses and functional assays revealed that SARS-CoV-2-related viruses from bats and pangolins also encode truncated ORF3b gene products with strong anti-interferon activity. Furthermore, analyses of more than 15,000 SARS-CoV-2 sequences identified a natural variant, in which a longer ORF3b reading frame was reconstituted. This variant was isolated from two patients with severe disease and further increased the ability of ORF3b to suppress interferon induction. Thus, our findings not only help to explain the poor interferon response in COVID-19 patients, but also describe a possibility of the emergence of natural SARS-CoV-2 quasispecies with extended ORF3b that may exacerbate COVID-19 symptoms.

alaricalden
Apr 16, 2019

[Covid-19 May] Senior Send Off

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the gently caress that mean dawg

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Spime Wrangler posted:

on the one hand, the more recent IHME versions are lightyears ahead of the old one. revisions are a really good thing to do. moreover, they actually have an epidemiological transmission model tacked on now. it's good enough that it allows for a second peak in the US right now and has huge uncertainty bounds over the next couple months instead of everything disappearing to zero. they're doing a much better job communicating the movement data that they're using on the back end.

on the other hand, its projections for italy have insanely tight uncertainty bounds (though their focus is on modeling the US and I think parts of the model are turned off for other regions), and today's michigan deaths are again (slightly) outside the high-end estimate (90 vs. 89). In general it's being optimistic that daily death rates will go down, even in places like Iowa where they've been monotonically increasing for weeks.

on the gripping hand, every model is wrong but some are useful, so let me play devil's advocate for a moment.

IHME was primarily developed to provide estimates of healthcare capacity needs for decision makers. Was it effective at that? Well their actual model of expected ICU/all bed values kinda sucked but they set the uncertainty so wide that the high bound was a factor of ten higher than the low bound, and told healthcare providers to plan for something on the high end. This functionally meant that everyone was being told "whatever you have, get more of it," and given the PPE shortages and real uncertainty about how many people were going to come down with it, this was prudent guidance to be giving back in march and early april, especially in hotspots.

The big problem was that the IHME model was not only used for internal capacity decisions but as the #1 go-to model for the federal government projections for the entire scope of the pandemic. It's easy to see why - the post-peak model sucked utter poo poo and was insanely optimistic about how effective social distancing would be. Some of its assumptions are justifiable for a first-pass solution needed NOW, but also made it super useful for justifying lovely policy.

Another underlying issue, where a couple decisions would have made a dramatic difference, was that IHME decided to make public all the post-peak projections on its flashy site. Anyone could open it up, fire up their country or state page, and feel good about what it was saying. It was purpose-built to make its projections look good. The actual values for historic data fade cleanly and exactly into the modeled values for projected data, making the user think "wow, it's been bang-on! I can trust this" when in reality it's been all over the map and all those past errors are hidden in CSV files you have to parse yourself if you want the whole story.

What the modelers should have done is accepted that they knew nothing out past a very limited timeframe and refused to provide months-out projections, or at least not the kind of projections that suggested uncertainty was dropping over time and that everything would be over by June. That shouldn't have passed even the most basic sniff test, and while they cemented their position as the modeling team of choice the way they did it was borderline malpractice. Statements saying "whoa, this is a misuse of the model" would have probably hosed their credibility with the public but should have been made. Even better, they could have provided only key values to key decision makers.

What they have now is a much more interesting model, and I expect they've been building it since the day they released the first version. The team states in their update notes that their focus is no longer on hospital bed projections but on capturing dynamics that might lead to a second wave or outbreaks in new regions. It's fully focused on the US, even though it still makes other countries' projections available. Once we get a couple weeks past the "reopening" of various states and if movement data spikes it's going to be very interesting to see if they're able to turn that into real outbreak forecasts. If the new model with its new purpose is again used to tell decision makers to "do everything you can or you might be hosed" but with stay-at-home orders instead of PPE then I'd say it's pretty good and they're doing their jobs.

However, they need a much better way of communicating the uncertainty in the months-out projections and a way of showing the effect of possible future scenarios. Updating the expected death count is all well and good, but what would be better is being honest about what a true worst-case-scenario would be and showing how various policy interventions may affect that value. My understanding is that they should have enough data now to estimate the effect of policies on Rt and I hope they're working towards ways of communicating that.

thank you sir

now please pull up to the second window

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Google Butt posted:

quote:

the emergence of natural SARS-CoV-2 quasispecies with extended ORF3b that may exacerbate COVID-19 symptoms.

roni gonna go super saiyan

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Sometimes when poo poo gets sketchy and a blood cell thinks it got a virus it sends out little interferons to let it's buddy cells know Hey watch your back this virus thing i shacked up with is posting cringe. Well the roni is like hey bro can I borrow your phone? and then tosses it out the window so that cell cant send those messages. then when the virus goes to your buddies they don't know to watch themselves

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Google Butt posted:

the virus has genes that actively inhibit the proteins that activate our immune systems. there is a variant found in 2 patients that inhibited our immune system activating proteins to a greater degree than the common strain.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Admiral Ray posted:

the virus has genes that actively inhibit the proteins that activate our immune systems. there is a variant found in 2 patients that inhibited our immune system activating proteins to a greater degree than the common strain.

It's just the flu bro

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Omnicarus posted:

Sometimes when poo poo gets sketchy and a blood cell thinks it got a virus it sends out little interferons to let it's buddy cells know Hey watch your back this virus thing i shacked up with is posting cringe. Well the roni is like hey bro can I borrow your phone? and then tosses it out the window so that cell cant send those messages. then when the virus goes to your buddies they don't know to watch themselves

[Covid-19 May] this virus thing i shacked up with is posting cringe

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Omnicarus posted:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

snoo posted:

okay gotcha but I don't have a dick :confused:

want mine?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

being upset about that makes sense. it doesn't have to make you resentful of them in particular that the situation is legitimately unfair. redirecting your anger towards our government response can help, but can only go so far. i find that finding and stating small things that you are thankful for helps tamp down resentment. eg: neither of you have it (you don't have to add "yet" here), that you have a job that you seemed to like, that your wife has been able to wfh at all, that you still have food security, etc. that isn't to say you should be content with what's happening; you can have anger about the situation without it overwhelming you.

Yeah and it's made me think about what the definition of labor actually is and what kind of "workers" can and can't be part of a leftist movement I think

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

BULBASAUR posted:

thank you sir

now please pull up to the second window

i'm dining in you commie son of a bitch

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Inceltown posted:

Forced job search providers are really helping the unemployed here in Australia.

https://twitter.com/JeremyPoxon/status/1260353664603938816

what the gently caress is a job agent

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wow great power Korea!

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Omnicarus posted:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

ChristsDickWorship posted:

[Covid-19 May] this virus thing i shacked up with is posting cringe

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

:lol:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Woofer posted:

someone calling from an employment agency, maybe

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Woofer posted:

a recruiter?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Woofer posted:

To get unemployment benefits here you need to be registered with a Job Service Provider. Your job agent is the person working there who is meant to help you look for a job. In reality they actually get paid bonuses for stopping your welfare payments and do absolutely nothing to help you find a job.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/DrugForumsBest/status/1260268761556254720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Woofer posted:

Under our leading neolib light we started a system where we privatised unemployment. So if you're unemployed a company gets paid to sit on their arse and talk condescendingly to you once every few months for 10 minutes.

Sometimes they make you attend a course on how to write a resume, or how to do airport baggage handling because there might be 3 of these jobs coming up?

What they don't do is:
Get you a job
Help get you a job
Support you

What they do is:
Collect millions per year from the government
Hire staff from the long-term unemployed pool and then don't train them to make the numbers look good
Let staff go quickly to churn the long term unemploymed pool to keep numbers good

It's a wonder of modern neoliberal government social services :blessed: