Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

incoherent posted:

The one person newstead could dunk on for points by pulling all his permits and accelerating his time table to leave CA by ejecting him with pretty much no ill effects. poo poo get the national guard to tear his production line down and box it for him to go.

He has about as much interest in going after billionaires as trump does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The best answer is the bureaucratic answer

Send in Cal OSHA

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

80k americans have died of covid because donald trump is a bad president, so while that's still nowhere near bush II's body count, there's still months to go for him to give catching up a good try

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

The best answer is the bureaucratic answer

Send in Cal OSHA

My experiences with that agency have been so weird. A friend had a job with terrible working conditions (not being issued PPE when handling chemical hazards) and couldn’t get them to give anything resembling a poo poo after complaining several times. But I also had a shity job after college that wasn’t doing anything that bad, though still non-trivial (some type of paint being used that was hazardous under certain conditions or something? Idk, they told me I was fine because I wasn’t in that building much.) and they came down like the loving wrath of god on that place. I was there when it happened and it was honestly kind of impressive, like a SWAT team of guys with clipboards descending on the place all of a sudden and telling everyone to “get out right now, I need to speak whoever is charge now”.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Still Dismal posted:

My experiences with that agency have been so weird. A friend had a job with terrible working conditions (not being issued PPE when handling chemical hazards) and couldn’t get them to give anything resembling a poo poo after complaining several times. But I also had a shity job after college that wasn’t doing anything that bad, though still non-trivial (some type of paint being used that was hazardous under certain conditions or something? Idk, they told me I was fine because I wasn’t in that building much.) and they came down like the loving wrath of god on that place. I was there when it happened and it was honestly kind of impressive, like a SWAT team of guys with clipboards descending on the place all of a sudden and telling everyone to “get out right now, I need to speak whoever is charge now”.

Like an FBI raid of Karens

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's OSHA done right. Give all those people jobs with the state enforcing all the "please don't mulch your workers" regulations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I bet OSHA is like the IRS where they do big boy enforcement on small fry because it's easier.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:perfect:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Contra Costa now has free covid testing for anyone that wants to get tested, which is kinda neat. I still don't want that big ol swab up my nose though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Contra Costa now has free covid testing for anyone that wants to get tested, which is kinda neat. I still don't want that big ol swab up my nose though.

It hurts, I had a bloody nose for like two days after

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
CSU's are online all fall. UC's will probably go online or hybrid (only classes that require a physical presence like labs are on campus), sometime in the next couple days.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
CSUS esp rural ones like Chico are full of rear end in a top hat professors and it is not going to be a full online, but some "hybrid" so you can fully expect engineering will be requesting the students to be there and die for capital.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Still Dismal posted:

CSU's are online all fall. UC's will probably go online or hybrid (only classes that require a physical presence like labs are on campus), sometime in the next couple days.

How is that going to work for out of state and out of region students? Do they get to live on campus to attend labs? Dorms are probably the least safe aspect of going to university. Or will they fly to California for lab weeks? That also seems like it defeats the purpose.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Dumbledore > California Politics Thread: Like an FBI raid of Karens

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

runoverbobby posted:

How is that going to work for out of state and out of region students? Do they get to live on campus to attend labs? Dorms are probably the least safe aspect of going to university. Or will they fly to California for lab weeks? That also seems like it defeats the purpose.

I'm sure the decision makers that saw the $$$ being lost care about this and thought this through. Have faith in the system.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

droll posted:

I'm sure the decision makers that saw the $$$ being lost care about this and thought this through. Have faith in the system.

The engineering professors that are usually paid shills for some corporations were trying to defy the orders earlier for blackstone projects and ridiculing the whole thing so the faith is low.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Their sacrifice will pay off dividends for the masses. You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

runoverbobby posted:

They will probably open the dorms, but limit capacity so that every room is a single. Universities are going to be hemorrhaging cash from the social distancing regulations re: housing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Given that universities have been using hilariously over-priced housing as a cash cow in part to pay for excessive administrative bloat for a decade or two, gently caress 'em.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 13, 2020

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Danann posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Dumbledore > California Politics Thread: Like an FBI raid of Karens

I don't think this quite fits but the term is so awesome.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Pump Jockey posted:

They will probably open the dorms, but limit capacity so that every room is a single. Universities are going to be hemorrhaging cash from the social distancing regulations re: housing.

That's going to cause fun conversations with students about who gets to continue living independently and who is forced to move back in with their parents.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

BeAuMaN posted:

I don't think this quite fits but the term is so awesome.

Can we abbreviate California here somehow?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The only appropriate abbreviation for California is Californaiyay.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 13, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

cahlifownya

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Still Dismal posted:

CSUs would also be hybrid or shut down their science departments completely. Same for community colleges.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Have they confirmed the testing type? I've heard the same about other places but people who aren't symptomatic are getting the less useful antibody tests.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
To address the urgent need for cash, the Senate is proposing to allow taxpayers to pre-pay their income tax for the next decade, at a discount, per Bloomberg.

I feel that allowing the rich to pay their taxes at a discount is a foolhardy move.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So, to address the urgent need for cash now, they're letting you spend your current money to have a chance at getting a big tax return a year or two down the line?

This sounds like the most loving insane nation-looting bullshit

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

To address the urgent need for cash, the Senate is proposing to allow taxpayers to pre-pay their income tax for the next decade, at a discount, per Bloomberg.

I feel that allowing the rich to pay their taxes at a discount is a foolhardy move.

Holy poo poo this proposal:

quote:

Democratic senators crafting the state’s budget want to create the program in the next few months so the state can offer about $3 billion in total vouchers for each year from 2024 to 2033 to taxpayers who voluntarily prepay... Participants could sell their vouchers to others at any time without paying California tax on gain from those sales. It’s unclear whether they would be tax-exempt for federal tax purposes.

So it's basically speculation on taxes. I'm sure there won't be a skeevy as hell market for these "I've already paid my taxes!" vouchers, no sir!

quote:

Details are yet to be worked out, but the discount for prepayment could be about 2% to 3%, which is the range that the state now gets on its sales of municipal bonds.

Nobody is going to burn capital now for a 2-3% discount on future taxes except the 1%, so in case you were wondering otherwise yes, our esteemed Democratic state senators' galaxy brain idea to raise money is... to give the 1% a tax break.

quote:

Senators also want to offer tax credits to landlords as part of a plan to help stabilize housing during the downturn. Under the proposal, renters and landlords would enter into agreements with the state allowing renters to defer rent and repay it, without interest, over 10 years beginning in 2024.

Landlords would receive tax credits equal to the amount of lost rent to be spread equally over the same 10-year period. They could also sell the credits if they need cash immediately.

Landlords in financial trouble? Don't worry we'll shower you with tax credits that you can - if needed - turn into immediate funds. Renters in financial trouble? Eat poo poo: we'll let you defer for now, but you'll have to sign on the dotted line for a ten-year repayment plan, you filthy poor!

Just a reminder that the D's control all three chambers and could easily pass a proposal far more progressive than this. They are simply choosing not to.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
It's some straight-up ancien régime poo poo.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Boot and Rally posted:

Have they confirmed the testing type? I've heard the same about other places but people who aren't symptomatic are getting the less useful antibody tests.

No idea, the website doesn't say.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

That’s ridiculous! Just sell some bonds. It does the exact same thing.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Lol oh my god

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Sydin posted:

Holy poo poo this proposal:

So it's basically speculation on taxes. I'm sure there won't be a skeevy as hell market for these "I've already paid my taxes!" vouchers, no sir!

Nobody is going to burn capital now for a 2-3% discount on future taxes except the 1%, so in case you were wondering otherwise yes, our esteemed Democratic state senators' galaxy brain idea to raise money is... to give the 1% a tax break.

Landlords in financial trouble? Don't worry we'll shower you with tax credits that you can - if needed - turn into immediate funds. Renters in financial trouble? Eat poo poo: we'll let you defer for now, but you'll have to sign on the dotted line for a ten-year repayment plan, you filthy poor!

Just a reminder that the D's control all three chambers and could easily pass a proposal far more progressive than this. They are simply choosing not to.

That just reminds me that a lot of California Democrats would be Republicans anywhere else.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

DrSunshine posted:

That just reminds me that a lot of California Democrats would be Republicans anywhere else.

Both parties serve the interests of capital. They're the same except they disagree on whether gay/black/brown people should be able to be filthy rich too.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pigasus posted:

That’s ridiculous! Just sell some bonds. It does the exact same thing.

Yup. Gimme some California State Bank Hella-Notes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

droll posted:

Both parties serve the interests of capital. They're the same except they disagree on whether gay/black/brown people should be able to be filthy rich too.

Sorry man the candidate of the Dems party gave a dixiecrats euology while I dont disagree with you and Dems have many less racists then the GOP the point stands that old white men are racists on both sides of the aisle.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Sorry man the candidate of the Dems party gave a dixiecrats euology while I dont disagree with you and Dems have many less racists then the GOP the point stands that old white men are racists on both sides of the aisle.
In California most people have learned they need to ditch the R if they want a career in politics. Those that have kept the R want to court the racist vote.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It's a side effect of the collapse of the state GOP - a lot of the business-friendly sellout types who would normally be climbing the ladder as Republicans are now working their way through the Democratic party. A lot of policy fights are going to be intra-party, instead of between parties, with even less transparency and accountability.

Such is life in a one-party state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

droll posted:

Well... I mean yes and no. Like, look at the Democrats in Virginia. They've accomplished so much more in terms of implementing progressive, worker-friendly change than the ones here.