Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yes but can I buy a new car that doesn't look like tremendous rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it all depends on how much crashworthiness you are willing to sacrifice to that end, or how much money you are willing to spend. There was great visibility in my aunt's ED civic but gently caress getting in any kind of side impact in that car. 10mph and the door is gonna intrude in to your side.

Ehhhhhhhh, manufacturers don't give a gently caress about designing around problems, it's literally just throw tech at it and not have to actually think about decent engineering. It's why modern cars all suck rear end and look like poo poo.

KakerMix posted:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Modern cars look fine,; you're all just old.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KillHour posted:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Anyone else see the leaked 2021 S Class photos?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pick a decade. I'll find an ugly example.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've owned four Miatas and managed just fine :shrug:

I would hope that the majority of the population has not managed to run over a small child backing up during their lifetime. But people are fallible and these sort of electronics are cheap and provide quality of life improvements on top of safety improvements. So, it's pretty much a no-brainer all the way around.

More importantly, any effort to standardize safety features so that they are more available to lower cost vehicles should be encouraged.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can buy a NC which has zero touch screens or any of myriad cars produced that do not have touch screens

I thought we were talking about new cars tho?

The NC is that last miata I would buy anyway, I'd get another NA or an NB before I ever went that route

[e] Also screens in Jeep Wranglers just seem wrong as well, I wonder how many will get completely ruined when people get caught in the rain with the top and doors off

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KillHour posted:

Pick a decade. I'll find an ugly example.

I'd rather you find me good looking modern cars tbh...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'd rather you find me good looking modern cars tbh...

There was a G80 posted literally 2 pages ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The new Corollas actually look pretty good imo

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Ror posted:

Why is that screen there? Why isn't the center just redesigned to incorporate it? I guess it's to keep the lines of the dash going across the whole car for aesthetics but I can't believe so many car designers are just shrugging and sticking a tablet on top. At least some of them go down, but I know some cars only will when the car is off.
Here's Mazda's explanation of why the screen looks the way it does (skip to 3:05): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTMRzYKIgrA

It's too bad the new Miata doesn't have an option for no screen at all with something basic like a single din music/bluetooth player. Most people don't buy Miatas for the entertainment system to begin with it's not about that, leave it for the touring trim automatic cars or something.
You could do this, but then you'd lose all of the settings that are controlled through the screen.

BTW I have a current Miata and the screen is totally fine. Its out of your sightline, dim enough at night, and the physical controls are way better than the touch screen in my other car.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

KakerMix posted:

No! says the man in Washington...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KillHour posted:

There was a G80 posted literally 2 pages ago.

It's pretty nice but apart from the cute detail with the lights it's basically bits of every posh car from the past decade. But I appreciate the simplicity of the design, yeah. Less is definitely more and it seems some designers understand that once more. Lexus LC (grille aside) is a really nice looking car too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ehhhhhhhh, manufacturers don't give a gently caress about designing around problems, it's literally just throw tech at it and not have to actually think about decent engineering. It's why modern cars all suck rear end and look like poo poo.

truly stupid take

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheGoatTrick posted:

You could do this, but then you'd lose all of the settings that are controlled through the screen.

Holy crap that's awesome. Is there a kit for it or is that a DIY job someone did?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

extreme lol at you and the other idiots who want to do that and then slap another screen on top of the dashboard, yeah that looks perfect

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheGoatTrick posted:

Here's Mazda's explanation of why the screen looks the way it does (skip to 3:05): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTMRzYKIgrA
That actually makes a ton of sense, and Dave Coleman's a pretty bright guy. I miss reading his column in SportCompactCar.

Jesus, that was a long time ago.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

extreme lol at you and the other idiots who want to do that and then slap another screen on top of the dashboard, yeah that looks perfect
Also this.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Q_res posted:

Except the screen in a Miata isn't even touch if you're going more than 5 mph.

It's the one thing I like a lot about Mazda. You use the hockey puck controller, after a little bit it becomes second nature.

I am so into what Mazda is doing, and so sick of what the Germans are doing, that if I had to replace my S4 with a 2020 car, I'd probably replace it with a CX-5 and then put the savings over a luxury car into a Miata.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wouldn't put a drat GPS on it like that guy did, but thanks for calling me an idiot because you don't like what I like.

This is all just pointless squabbling over dumb poo poo anyways really, who loving cares in the grand scheme of things it's just a drat discussion to pass the time to me.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Holy crap that's awesome. Is there a kit for it or is that a DIY job someone did?
The video I took the screenshot from is in Chinese, so I don't know if an off the shelf kit is available. But I have taken my screen out to install a backup camera and Android Auto. The screen and its controller are a single assembly (along with the plastic piece the screen is sitting on) and when you take it out, there is a lot of space in the dash to install a different system. You could actually get something like this and have a fold away screen.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if BMW every made anything interesting after the E90 M3. :effort:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheGoatTrick posted:

The video I took the screenshot from is in Chinese, so I don't know if an off the shelf kit is available. But I have taken my screen out to install a backup camera and Android Auto. The screen and its controller are a single assembly (along with the plastic piece the screen is sitting on) and when you take it out, there is a lot of space in the dash to install a different system. You could actually get something like this and have a fold away screen.

Interesting. I'm willing to bet there would be a market for a Miata screen elimination kit for all the minimalists out there, and it could certainly be better thought out and executed than that. The more i look at it the more it looks like the guy just kinda hacked it in there.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dang son, you're out-grumping Cat Terrist today.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

My good friend ran over and killed his infant son about 10 years ago. The family was in a rush to go somewhere and in the chaos didn't notice Charlie has crawled onto the driveway.

I think his case was one of too many that lead to backup camera legislation.

So yeah, I like backup cameras.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's the saying, that if they invented the car today none of us would be allowed to pilot the thing? Not saying your friend was merely inept, just that yeah, safety features are good.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I am so into what Mazda is doing, and so sick of what the Germans are doing, that if I had to replace my S4 with a 2020 car, I'd probably replace it with a CX-5 and then put the savings over a luxury car into a Miata.

I am literally doing this now. I returned my S4 lease yesterday and am testing a CX5 today because I hate what Audi is doing with their fake exuasts and dual screened gloss black interiors.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The next Mazda 6 is rumored to be RWD with a straight 6...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I wonder if BMW every made anything interesting after the E90 M3. :effort:

yes the i3

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Didn't the base 1.5L ND Miata come without a screen? I swear that it was the base option in other markets, and it was just a control knob and a bunch of memory buttons...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

My good friend ran over and killed his infant son about 10 years ago. The family was in a rush to go somewhere and in the chaos didn't notice Charlie has crawled onto the driveway.

I think his case was one of too many that lead to backup camera legislation.

So yeah, I like backup cameras.

gently caress, dude. I... need to go do something else for a while now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

SOME look fine, a few even look good. I can say, for absolute certainty, that nobody ever confused a Lamborghini with a Hyundai even 10 years ago.

The more I settle into to clear sight lines, analog gauges, and simple single-din stereos without screens of any kind, manual transmissions and heck even plain metal keys the more I'm kind of disgusted with what cars have become. They are better, faster, more comfortable and even technically more reliable in the short term, but I just do not like them, too detached, to un-exciting. I drove a brand new 2020 Mustang GT, it has 460 hp and is so, so fast, and I felt dead while I buried the throttle. I was pushed back in my seat, the world was wooshing by extremely quickly through the windows, the engine was making all the right noises, but it was like I wasn't there. It's a big old thing, I can't see out much at all, it's quite and detached in a way that is hard to quantify without going to thesaurus.com
Yet I jump right into a 1993 SW20 MR2 with half the power and suddenly I'm excited, it feels far more dangerous, putting my foot in the floor seemingly sends electricity through my spine.

Maybe I need to hop into an Ariel Atom or give up and really kill myself and jump on a sports bike because I don't like any new cars and I don't really understand why. They are better on every measurable metric yet I hate the loving things. I don't care about the new Ferrari or Porsche or Mustang or Raptor or any other 'see this one is fast too' sticker you can plop on any new car. It isn't even about the speed either, I'm pleased as heck to be plodding down the road in any number of old diesel trucks, rowing my own gears with their tractor transmissions. I'm not even an old man yet, I just turned 36!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I really like new cars for starting up every day, getting good fuel economy, being quiet and well behaved on the highway, having lots of decent features, clever use of space, reliability, and protecting my life and the lives of my family members in accidents. They're good appliances.

I agree they are definitely less interesting, but sometimes you just gotta have something to go to the grocery store or drive 20 miles on the freeway to work or whatever. The good combo that I've settled on is something old and something new.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The issue you are describing has less to do with modernity of cars except where it intersects with performance.

Cars are fun when you are ragging on them at the edge of performance and you absolutely cannot do that for most modern sports cars on the street. They are too capable, the limits are too high.

Take a step back from the spec race and really drive the poo poo out of something that allows you to drive the poo poo out of it like a BRZ/GT86 or a GTI or a Veloster N or a Miata.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

kimcicle posted:

Didn't the base 1.5L ND Miata come without a screen? I swear that it was the base option in other markets, and it was just a control knob and a bunch of memory buttons...
The Sport trim in the US had this, until backup cameras became mandatory. Looks as bad as the screen but without the utility.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really like new cars for starting up every day, getting good fuel economy, being quiet and well behaved on the highway, having lots of decent features, clever use of space, reliability, and protecting my life and the lives of my family members in accidents. They're good appliances.

You're describing a Volvo wagon from like 15 years ago...

(which obviously is the joke in AI)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i put reliability and good fuel economy in there for a reason

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Q_res posted:

I remember reading that it had to do with making it easier to change out the screen/unit for newer/larger alternatives without having to redesign the inside of the dash or the wiring or anything like that.

I don't believe that for one second, since the OEMs have been doing the exact opposite with radios for decades. The '96 Taurus oval monstrosity being one of the first notorious examples.

KakerMix posted:

SOME look fine, a few even look good. I can say, for absolute certainty, that nobody ever confused a Lamborghini with a Hyundai even 10 years ago.

The more I settle into to clear sight lines, analog gauges, and simple single-din stereos without screens of any kind, manual transmissions and heck even plain metal keys the more I'm kind of disgusted with what cars have become. They are better, faster, more comfortable and even technically more reliable in the short term, but I just do not like them, too detached, to un-exciting. I drove a brand new 2020 Mustang GT, it has 460 hp and is so, so fast, and I felt dead while I buried the throttle. I was pushed back in my seat, the world was wooshing by extremely quickly through the windows, the engine was making all the right noises, but it was like I wasn't there. It's a big old thing, I can't see out much at all, it's quite and detached in a way that is hard to quantify without going to thesaurus.com
Yet I jump right into a 1993 SW20 MR2 with half the power and suddenly I'm excited, it feels far more dangerous, putting my foot in the floor seemingly sends electricity through my spine.

Maybe I need to hop into an Ariel Atom or give up and really kill myself and jump on a sports bike because I don't like any new cars and I don't really understand why. They are better on every measurable metric yet I hate the loving things. I don't care about the new Ferrari or Porsche or Mustang or Raptor or any other 'see this one is fast too' sticker you can plop on any new car. It isn't even about the speed either, I'm pleased as heck to be plodding down the road in any number of old diesel trucks, rowing my own gears with their tractor transmissions. I'm not even an old man yet, I just turned 36!

I'm about 9/10s of this.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 13, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

I don't believe that for one second, since the OEMs have been doing the exact opposite with radios for decades. The '96 Taurus oval monstrosity being one of the first notorious examples.

Oh, it's not for the owner of the car's ease of changing. It's for the OEM's.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

truly stupid take

No it really wasnt stupid at all. There really is a clear lack of engineering covered up by tech band aids. Ranted about that before and given examples (Mercedes, ,alfa Subaru hooooly poo poo am I looked at you)... Ill rant about it again in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

too detached, to un-exciting.

These are the things keeping you alive when you wrap it around a tree.

quote:

Yet I jump right into a 1993 SW20 MR2 with half the power and suddenly I'm excited, it feels far more dangerous

Because it is.

If you want the feeling of driving something that will kill you when you wreck it, do open wheel racing on a track. Don't pine for the days when driving on public streets gave you a hardon from tempting death.