Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Gavok posted:

A question that might be best revisited every month: who are wrestlers who are actually making out well BECAUSE of the pandemic? Off the top of my head:

- Braun Strowman: Got defaulted into being champ just because Goldberg didn't want to stick around and Roman valued his health.

- Austin Theory: I haven't watched WWE in a year outside of Rumble, but from what I understand, he was an obscure NXT name who lucked into being on the main roster. He hasn't done anything major, but he has a bigger spotlight than he would have otherwise.

- Sugar Dunkerton: Indie wrestler who got called in to show up to the month's worth of AEW tapings for the sake of jobbing. Just by being in the makeshift crowd, he was randomly called out by commentator Chris Jericho with a silly nickname "Pineapple Pete," which practically became his new identity. Now they're going to have a match and that might lead to him being a full-on member of the roster.

LTTP on this but Tetsuya Naitos being IWGP and Intercontinental champ whilst having to do absolutely nothing to defend it is super in character, extremely tranquilo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Would Christian be good in AEW? He's friends with Jericho and I'm watching a match of his vs Cody from 2012 and it's good. Christian has gone against the grain before jumping to TNA in 2005, would he do it again? He was forcibly retired by WWE if I'm remembering right and can still go.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Only if they cover his ugly rat face with a blue dot.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
pretty sure that if he could be medically cleared and if he had any interest to wrestle again then WWE probably would have thrown a boatload of money at him: the fact they haven't perhaps says something

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Endless Mike posted:

Only if they cover his ugly rat face with a blue dot.
McMahon is too cozy with the Trump administration to let Pete Buttigieg on Raw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Would Christian be good in AEW? He's friends with Jericho and I'm watching a match of his vs Cody from 2012 and it's good. Christian has gone against the grain before jumping to TNA in 2005, would he do it again? He was forcibly retired by WWE if I'm remembering right and can still go.

He had a bunch of concussions when they forced him to retire so it'd really be better if he just stayed retired.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Ah I thought he was okay and it was a Booker T situation where WWE just didn't want him wrestling anymore m

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Ah I thought he was okay and it was a Booker T situation where WWE just didn't want him wrestling anymore m

I don't think it was entirely for his health but a final concussion was how they framed it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Check out No Way Out 2012 for a great Christian singles match I guess.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

My question: does Kenny Omega have the best knee strike?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Unperson_47 posted:

Clearly not he can't even pin jobbers with it.

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006

Unperson_47 posted:

I think Matt Riddle has a cleaner setup/delivery which looks better, but the fact that he hits the same place in the same way every time might make it too artificial looking.

Nakamura's crazy sidekick-ish knee that he just drunkenly flails around is my favorite.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
The best knee strike is clearly Booty Man's dreaded High Knee.

gently caress, the 90's were stupid.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I like Luchasauras' Stomp Kick, but all his other offense is slow as gently caress; don't blame him and still like him...

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Unperson_47 posted:

No because KENTA does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekcc91yp7Q0

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Right answer

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Goddamn.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Wardlows is pretty fuckin great

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These are some crudely drawn wrestling moments from THE BOARD~!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm not following wrestling SA as often as I once did, so I don't know the current opinion of Scott Keith (though I could guess).

He responded to a question about the usefulness of a face manager with:

quote:

Babyface managers are a weird deal because they're really not needed. Maybe Captain Lou after he turned babyface, but he was only around for a year under that guise and then retired anyway. I'm hard-pressed to think of any successful babyface managers (aside from someone like Elizabeth, who was more of a valet anyway), especially ones who managed multiple people.

I - don't agree at all. Face managers aren't the norm, but they're super useful for certain gimmicks, to be a mouthpiece, or to generate sympathy heat. And a valet is really no different from a manager, so I don't know what he's talking about there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Speaking of, has there ever been a face manager with a heel wrestler, or vice versa? Not like, someone turns after the match, but they go into it like that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Calling the fans "The WWE Universe" isn't bad in and of itself. It's no different than referring to Pittsburgh Steelers fans as the Steeler Nation. It's just that WWE overdoes it and uses the term every time they refer to the crowd.
They were actually considering using WWE Nation or WW Fan Nation, I think. This is probably why they didn't.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

I'm not following wrestling SA as often as I once did, so I don't know the current opinion of Scott Keith (though I could guess).

He responded to a question about the usefulness of a face manager with:

I - don't agree at all. Face managers aren't the norm, but they're super useful for certain gimmicks, to be a mouthpiece, or to generate sympathy heat. And a valet is really no different from a manager, so I don't know what he's talking about there.

Scott Keith is very stupid and face managers while not as useful as heel managers can be very important. Julius Smokes added a ton to Homicide's act in ROH. Arn adds a little something to Cody, and even Nick Gage's act is helped a little by having Dewey Donovan around to carry the belt (when he gets it back.)

And then there is Kemonito, the greatest in history.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speaking of, has there ever been a face manager with a heel wrestler, or vice versa? Not like, someone turns after the match, but they go into it like that.

Didn't Shawn have to valet for JBL for a while?

Ditto Chavo for Uncle Eddie in WCW.

I guess it depends how strictly you want to define things. Macho Man was super heely sometimes, but Elizabeth was always a sympathetic face.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Red posted:

I don't know if it's true at all, because I don't know where the difference really lies, but just from context clues I always assumed a valet was a manager who didn't do any/much talking or get involved often (ala Elizabeth) while a manager did all of those things and more.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Scott Keith is very stupid

I hadn't read his page in a while, and forgot how unfunny/casually racist he is. I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't know if it's true at all, because I don't know where the difference really lies, but just from context clues I always assumed a valet was a manager who didn't do any/much talking or get involved often (ala Elizabeth) while a manager did all of those things and more.

Well, not to nitpick, but wasn't there like a whole angle out of Macho Man saying he picked Elizabeth to be his manager out of a slew of people fawning over him because yadda yadda?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its an antiquated idea based on the archetypes of the Bobby Heenan/Lou Albano heel "promotor" who was supposed to have control over his charges and the Elizabeth quiet face lady who was just around because she was with the face or something. But its silly and reductive and probably a little misogynistic. There's just no reason why you shouldn't be able to use a talking face manager if you want or that they might add something to the package. Its just that Scott Keith and a lot of other people think a manager's job is to be Jim Cornette and can't see outside that box.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Miho Abe and Taichi, off the top of my head

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know they (mostly) all carry-overs from when the acts were heels, but babyface managers like Paul Ellering and Paul Bearer should shut the argument down, even Jimmy Hart and Paul Heyman at points in their career.

In the same way heel managers are effective (they talk well for an act that can't/shouldn't promo, they get their rear end kicked as a proxy) this can work equally well for babyface wrestlers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And hell, the Road Warriors could talk, so they didn't need a manager to get over, but Ellering added a lot to the act.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

I know they (mostly) all carry-overs from when the acts were heels, but babyface managers like Paul Ellering and Paul Bearer should shut the argument down, even Jimmy Hart and Paul Heyman at points in their career.

In the same way heel managers are effective (they talk well for an act that can't/shouldn't promo, they get their rear end kicked as a proxy) this can work equally well for babyface wrestlers.

Jimmy Hart added absolutely nothing to Hogan's act, but Heyman added a TON as Sabu's mouthpiece. Probably the best example.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gedo also added a lot to Okada's act when Okada was just starting out as the new Ace of the company

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Did Jimmy Hart add anything to anyone's act as a manager? Even though he was the "Mouth of the South" I was never impressed with his mic work, but I guess his peak was in the 80's, and I wasn't around for that. Was he really good back in the day and just didn't have anything to offer (other than music) once the Attitude Era rolled around?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

rujasu posted:

Did Jimmy Hart add anything to anyone's act as a manager? Even though he was the "Mouth of the South" I was never impressed with his mic work, but I guess his peak was in the 80's, and I wasn't around for that. Was he really good back in the day and just didn't have anything to offer (other than music) once the Attitude Era rolled around?

Jimmy's best stuff was in Memphis where he absolutely was one of the best managers in the business. It didn't quite carry over to WWE like Bobby Hennan's act did cause...well memphis

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He was awesome in Memphis with his First Family stable

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To me its mostly the same subject as "no face authority figures." Its just that being a heel is such an easy way to create conflict and non-wrestling characters are so often used very bluntly for that goal. So a manager who isn't out there picking fights and setting his/her charges against someone feels to some like an authority figure who isn't abusing their power or punishing the faces and protecting a heel. But that doesn't need to be the only use, its just the most common active use.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

rujasu posted:

As said above... Jimmy Hart's act just didn't translate well to the WWF. He was the de-facto top heel in Memphis for YEARS, as Lawler's foil. He didn't wrestle, he spoke. He got a LOT of people over that couldn't speak.

---On the same topic, anyone who's old enough and has WWF knowledge that old: Would Arnold Skaaland have been the effective babyface manager archetype we're looking for?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
John Arezzi was on Sean Mooney's podcast this week and said when he was a photographer in the 70s, he caught a cab to MSG once with Lou Albano, Grand Wizard and Freddie Blassie. And when they were stuck in traffic, the managers insisted on opening their windows to talk poo poo to passing fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Red posted:

Well, not to nitpick, but wasn't there like a whole angle out of Macho Man saying he picked Elizabeth to be his manager out of a slew of people fawning over him because yadda yadda?

Ah yeah, good call. Like others have said, it seems like antiquated and probably sexist terminology. I've only ever heard it to describe female managers. I don't think I've ever heard a male manager called a valet. Which is bizarre because the term itself is defined as a man's male servant.