Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Buy a 20€ Mokka ffs

But I already have two :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/schwelessio/status/1260556925722341376

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Is that a bendy bus, or was it going really fast, or did it push itself back up? I would expect it to be at a larger angle.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Ich dachte die Grenze zu Holland wird erst nächste Woche wieder geöffnet. :confused:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I went running yesterday and it was a bit colder than expected. Today I have a slightly stuffy nose, scratchy throat and light coughing at times ... no fever so far but I am anxious as gently caress right now over something that is probably an ordinary cold. But this tiny man in the back to my head keeps nagging me "it could be the roni".

So I will not leave the flat until the cold is fully gone, and since my GF has to do the same I will need to ask a friend to drop groceries at the door, if needed. But we have done our shopping for this week yesterday and are good until at least Monday, and then some if we use what we stocked up on in March.

Man I feel like I am paranoid, yet I know this is the right thing to do.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Ika posted:

Is that a bendy bus, or was it going really fast, or did it push itself back up? I would expect it to be at a larger angle.
Bendy bus:

The driver and one Passant lightly wounded.

drat, imagine suddenly having a bus fly over you...

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

My girlfriend was there when that happened.

Re living cost:

I just moved to Bergen and I pay 250 per month for a 40 m2 2 room apartment and another 250 for an 80m2 Garage/Werkstatt.

Also

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It was the old Wengy who unthinkingly leaned into his bougieness and amassed a watch collection; the new one is keenly aware of his precarity and just wants a decent job. Mind you, I haven’t actually spent 2k on an espresso machine (yet).

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Wengy posted:

It was the old Wengy who unthinkingly leaned into his bougieness and amassed a watch collection; the new one is keenly aware of his precarity and just wants a decent job. Mind you, I haven’t actually spent 2k on an espresso machine (yet).

Sell your watches to buy an esperesso machine, there is a clock on your phone

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

skipThings posted:

Sell your watches to buy an esperesso machine, there is a clock on your phone

For 2k there's probably a clock on the espresso machine. Am I the only one saving like a miser? I am not a frugalist, but I think my sparquote is around 60%, so all this talk of watches, Audi TTS, balconies and espresso machines is making me feel conscious about not doing my part to keep up with the Goonses.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Einbauschrank posted:

Am I the only one saving like a miser? I am not a frugalist, but I think my sparquote is around 60%, so all this talk of watches, Audi TTS, balconies and espresso machines is making me feel conscious about not doing my part to keep up with the Goonses.

Naw, I'm also saving slightly over half my income in the stupid hope to find an affordable house/apartment one day, and I also have friends that just spend everything and then some and there are days where I envy them.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

My girlfriend was there when that happened.

Re living cost:

I just moved to Bergen and I pay 250 per month for a 40 m2 2 room apartment and another 250 for an 80m2 Garage/Werkstatt.

Also

Lol even Norway has lovely internet?

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
sorry but if youre able to save that much youre rich as hell and deserve to be enteignet

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I’ve been saving quite a bit over the past couple of years, probably 30-40% of my Nettolohn, but I wonder if there’s a point. I’m never in a million years going to be able to afford real estate here, so I’m really just putting money aside for emergencies and retirement.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I wish I could save that much but I live in Munich and am neither a computer toucher nor an Unternehmensberater and rents here are disgusting. Buying property is completely unrealistic anyway.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Einbauschrank posted:

For 2k there's probably a clock on the espresso machine. Am I the only one saving like a miser? I am not a frugalist, but I think my sparquote is around 60%, so all this talk of watches, Audi TTS, balconies and espresso machines is making me feel conscious about not doing my part to keep up with the Goonses.

Wir steigern das Bruttosozialprodukt. :colbert:

I'm at 50%. I don't need much: a good workstation, a good bike, and good coffee. But I've come to the realisation that buying a quiet little house or apartment is never going to happen, so once in a while I spend big money: 500g olive mix at the olive stand, smoked salmon, or an espresso machine that is going to last at least two decades. That's the kind of decadence a middling job as a public employee allows for.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I decided long ago I would rather spend my money now while I can enjoy it than save it for later when I'm retired and frail tbh. Of course I have a rainy day fund and a private Rentenversicherung but I spend most of my money to go see friends in other countries and travel.

And I can't tell you how many times I have thought to myself "man we are so lucky we got to do our trip to Japan last year before all this poo poo"

Naturally, since traveling is off the table for now, I am saving more than usual, which is ok, Japan was a very expensive trip.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

BabyFur Denny posted:

There's no way you could get a flat that cheap in Bergen, Norway. Think he lives in the less well known Bergen :ssh:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hopper posted:

I decided long ago I would rather spend my money now while I can enjoy it than save it for later when I'm retired and frail tbh. Of course I have a rainy day fund and a private Rentenversicherung but I spend most of my money to go see friends in other countries and travel.

And I can't tell you how many times I have thought to myself "man we are so lucky we got to do our trip to Japan last year before all this poo poo"

Naturally, since traveling is off the table for now, I am saving more than usual, which is ok, Japan was a very expensive trip.

It's not just about enjoying life as a geezer. I don't think anyone itt is getting more than hartz 4 our of gesetzliche rente, so saving now is basically the only way to spend the last quarter of your life with some kind of dignity.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GABA ghoul posted:

It's not just about enjoying life as a geezer. I don't think anyone itt is getting more than hartz 4 our of gesetzliche rente, so saving now is basically the only way to spend the last quarter of your life with some kind of dignity.

Your savings and organs will be confiscated to fuel the stasis tanks of the boomers, though.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is the page with the most intense alman energy ever

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

oliwan posted:

this is the page with the most intense alman energy ever

How's your Ketamine retirement-fund going?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aix posted:

sorry but if youre able to save that much youre rich as hell and deserve to be enteignet

:hai:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

How much ketamine can you buy with a verfügbares einkommen of 3.51 EUR per month, op?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

BabyFur Denny posted:

It's Bergen in Niedersachsen know for errr.... The KZ Gedenkstätte and the big rear end NATO shooting range. Frieden und Internationalität (the actual city Motto)

(Also thats 1040 Mbit,Not Kbit - the internet is insane here)

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 14, 2020

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Little lifehack for all y'all: just be depressed and enjoy literally nothing. You'll end up spending money only on the bare necessities and nothing else, thus saving money.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Little lifehack for all y'all: just be depressed and enjoy literally nothing. You'll end up spending money only on the bare necessities and nothing else, thus saving money.

As the kids today say: Laune

:smith::hf::smith:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It sure sounds like deutschgoons.xslx is going to be a good starting point for the list of people who are going to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Wengy posted:

Oh man, quick edit, because I just saw that you budgeted 200 chf for food. My man, visit me in Switzerland some time, I have such sights to show you

One of my gf of times bygone had won an award. We were piss-poor students living hand-to-mouth and the 500€ prize money sounded like a massive income spike. Unfortunately, the ceremony took place in Genf (or Bern?). I couldn‘t accompany her because ... money. So she went there and first got the crushing news that the prize and the money would be split for the first (and apparently last) time in the history of the award. Lunch and dinner wasn’t included in the day long ceremony, only coffee breaks. She lived off the cookies that were served with coffee as a pizza would have been 20 Fränkli (no beverages included) and nearly fainted due to hunger during the ceremony. Good times.

Brotlose Kunst indeed.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Einbauschrank posted:

One of my gf of times bygone had won an award. We were piss-poor students living hand-to-mouth and the 500€ prize money sounded like a massive income spike. Unfortunately, the ceremony took place in Genf (or Bern?). I couldn‘t accompany her because ... money. So she went there and first got the crushing news that the prize and the money would be split for the first (and apparently last) time in the history of the award. Lunch and dinner wasn’t included in the day long ceremony, only coffee breaks. She lived off the cookies that were served with coffee as a pizza would have been 20 Fränkli (no beverages included) and nearly fainted due to hunger during the ceremony. Good times.

Brotlose Kunst indeed.

As a student you always survive conferences off the freebies. And conference organizers who don't understand that and don't have coffee breaks or anything can gtfo :(

--

Right now is the first time in my life I regret not owning a car. Even with stuff opening up somewhat, I don't really feel like traveling a lot by bus/train just for freizeit is a good idea right now.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

It's Bergen in Niedersachsen know for errr.... The KZ Gedenkstätte and the big rear end NATO shooting range. Frieden und Internationalität (the actual city Motto)

(Also thats 1040 Mbit,Not Kbit - the internet is insane here)

But only 50mbit up, wtf is that poo poo. 🤔

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

better to kill 100 innocent passengers than let 1 Schwarzfahrer escape

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

BabyFur Denny posted:

with this quarantine i've been noticing how poo poo my internet is and i checked into it, apparently when i moved in i was broke (still am) and so picked the cheapest option, which was.. 16mbit down, 1mbit up

at that stage they should throw in a USB toy that makes the 56k dialup sound whenever you turn your computer on

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I spent two years completely without an internet connection at home and used my phone as a hotspot to get 1 mbit/s. It's serviceable and just enough for watching videos, but you can forget about downloading games and stuff. That's what going tho the office is for.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I have a 16MBit line and I get a maximum of 8 on average. Welcome to IT-Entwicklungsland Germany.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I have 100mbit down and 40 up, which is needs-suiting for work. It's also the fastest option I can get. But I don't stream media or play games so I don't really need more.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
how the hell do so many households in Germany still use DSL

anyway I got Vodafone gigabit Internet, really happy that they bought up Kabel Deutschland and are the only available option here. we'll at least its fast as poo poo so I can download the dankest memes in no time.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

BabyFur Denny posted:

They don't offer more for private customer contracts but I'm not uploading anything regularly anyways.

Honestly anything above 50 mbit download is perfectly fine for your basic internet needs of HD video around the clock on a few devices simultaneously. It's just bulk downloads like games that take some extra time (you'll sit a fee hours before playing but you don't have to schedule it overnight)

Having Gigabit internet all for myself feels obscene to me thinking about the time when I had an LTE modem and we had to manage 60 gigabyte of data per month between 4 people.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 14, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, and I have given up worrying about that otherwise I would constantly be fretting about the future.

I fully expect that by the time I am 65 67 70 75 and allowed to retire the corporate run state will not give a single poo poo and we will all either live in ivory towers built on the backs of the general population or squat in some derelict hovel scraping by to survive. And unless you are a super rich by birth into the right family, good luck trying for those towers.

Yes, this is hyperbole but you know it is also true in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

oliwan posted:

how the hell do so many households in Germany still use DSL

anyway I got Vodafone gigabit Internet, really happy that they bought up Kabel Deutschland and are the only available option here. we'll at least its fast as poo poo so I can download the dankest memes in no time.

Because back in the day governments pushed Kabelfernsehen instead of proper Telco infrastructure and nowadays all infrastructure funds are just slush funds for the Bavarians when they are not busy infecting us with viral diseases.