Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

will it even finish booting without the backed services?

i have no idea without a working display, the screen broke after my wife dropped the phone from 2-3 feet onto soft well-padded carpet shortly after she got it

i think it did communicate with a computer at some point but the software to manage it may or may not still exist, im tempted to play with this again if i can find it in whatever box its in after we moved a year and a half ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sounds like an interesting rainy day project to me

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

honestly the most disappointing thing about the uncertain future of the pixel line is that i was basically buying pixels because they weren't the other android manufacturers shoving bloatware and awful skins everywhere

now it seems like my choices are put up with pixel, or get like a oneplus and lose some of the google features that i actually like (call screening, voicemail transcription) and also play the green tint display lottery

it was ridiculous for google to be launching phones in q3 of a year using qualcomm hardware that came out q1-ish of that year. phones that came out at the start of 2019 had the same chipset as the pixel 4, and phones that came out at the start of this year will have more up market chipsets since it seems like pixel 5 is targetting midmarket price point. they clearly aren't quite sure what they're doing with it and they just need to make a choice so i can decide whether or not to stick with pixels (and to be clear i don't have a pixel 4, i have a 3, i thought about upgrading to pixel 4 but couldn't justify it, and at this point i'd get a oneplus 8 pro over a pixel 4)

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pixel as a line of hardware is a failure because it came at the end of premium smartphones being the only range of phones that really felt like good phones.

Midrange phones are the future, Google can keep their regular line to keep the vanity image if they want, but the a series is fantastic, affordable, regular security and feature updates, and the battery life isn't trash because MORE POWER.

Buff Hardback posted:

honestly the most disappointing thing about the uncertain future of the pixel line is that i was basically buying pixels because they weren't the other android manufacturers shoving bloatware and awful skins everywhere

If the Pixel a series ever dies out I'm going back to Motorola. Maybe the G series will stop being overpriced garbage again by then.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Buff Hardback posted:

now it seems like my choices are put up with pixel, or get like a oneplus and lose some of the google features that i actually like (call screening, voicemail transcription) and also play the green tint display lottery

it was ridiculous for google to be launching phones in q3 of a year using qualcomm hardware that came out q1-ish of that year. phones that came out at the start of 2019 had the same chipset as the pixel 4, and phones that came out at the start of this year will have more up market chipsets since it seems like pixel 5 is targetting midmarket price point. they clearly aren't quite sure what they're doing with it and they just need to make a choice so i can decide whether or not to stick with pixels (and to be clear i don't have a pixel 4, i have a 3, i thought about upgrading to pixel 4 but couldn't justify it, and at this point i'd get a oneplus 8 pro over a pixel 4)

just buy an iphone, op

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

infernal machines posted:

just buy an iphone, op

i've been weighing it in my mind, and it's either op8p now or iphone 12 pro in fall

i just don't like the ios ecosystem and am too deep in google to have to deal with having crappy default apps and the dumb grid launcher

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

i've been weighing it in my mind, and it's either op8p now or iphone 12 pro in fall

i just don't like the ios ecosystem and am too deep in google to have to deal with having crappy default apps and the dumb grid launcher

i had been googphoning for a decade and had many of those concerns before i switched a year ago but it’s not as hard to make the switch as you might think. there are only a couple of android things i miss and i can live without them just fine.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Midjack posted:

i had been googphoning for a decade and had many of those concerns before i switched a year ago but it’s not as hard to make the switch as you might think. there are only a couple of android things i miss and i can live without them just fine.

i last stevephoned back in the iphone 4 days.

it's definitely tempting, but i'm just not in the ecosystem enough to make the ios features work (plus i don't want imessage lock in)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
you can install signal on ios like you should already be using to text everyone anyways

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

i have literally never had a meaningful conversation with anyone on signal

i think i have 6 contacts with signal. i just use facebook messenger and hangouts a lot

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

thinking about just not having a phone. rather not have a phablet brick in my pocket that costs $1200 and ultimately sucks

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

klosterdev posted:

Midrange phones are the future, Google can keep their regular line to keep the vanity image if they want, but the a series is fantastic, affordable, regular security and feature updates, and the battery life isn't trash because MORE POWER.

bring back Nexus

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

bring back Nexus

i want more battery life fucker, i ain’t done

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Buff Hardback posted:

Buff Hardback posted:

source ur quotes op

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The Management posted:

four years into the pixel phone line, sales are going not so good

Never had an iphone, but if google cancels the Pixel line and stop making phones, i will jump to one.

I suffered through the original Droids, Note 3, galaxy nexus and the fantastic Nexus 6 with mediocre camera to a Pixel xl (which one day died without a warning) to the twice replaced (due to repairs) P3XL.

On the Pixel 4, i hated the removal of the fingerprint sensor, the removal of the two tone back, no free google photos, ridiculous battery and insane price, no wonder it failed.

Love Android, but only google does it right.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

klosterdev posted:

Pixel as a line of hardware is a failure because it came at the end of premium smartphones being the only range of phones that really felt like good phones.

Hardware is the only thing you can count on getting in an Android phone. Software updates are a given to be limited and not likely after more than one (if that).

Your post was an excellent example of an outlier anecdotal experience substituting for a main-stream consideration.

In MY book, and those of others based on their dissing or praising of the specs of phones featured here on Ars, hardware is the #1 consideration, with bonuses for updates and current OS's (updates for which typically only last two years at most).

The last thing I ever ask about a phone is what OS it runs. But that's anecdotal, too. It's just the way most folks talk about phones, features like hardware play the most important roles with updates being just a perk of the few out there that get them.

As for the Pixel, IMHO, its lack of popularity is due to Google's reach for the flagship phone with a middle to bottom of the pack spec/feature phone (except the camera, which generally is above average to very good). For what you pay, you don't get much.

Phone manufacturers seem to be getting the idea that constantly pushing out flagships (high margins with high prices) doesn't work too well when people aren't snapping them up like popcorn at a movie (observe proper social distancing, of course). The low to mid-range phones are where sales are happening at higher levels among more products. Hitting those markets with excellent quality/feature phones would be a boon, even if they'd rely on volume for profits instead of high margins per phone.

Google, and everyone else, needs to be focusing on where the demand actually is, instead of trying to compete in a pissing contest among themselves over who has the "best" flagship while ignoring demand altogether.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
You know, if you guys don't start sourcing your quots it'll seem like one or more of you is actually recommending the use of mobile devices using the Android Operating System.

Do you want really people to think you're the sort of person who would recommend that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

love the phone, but

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I don't quite get the obsession about phone specs other than "how big and how nice is the screen" and "how long does the battery last" and "is it a good user interface". for poo poo like basebands all you can ask is that it be not broken, who cares about individual little cpu and ram specs as long the phone runs kinda smooth

i guess i don't really do mobile games so maybe thats the reason? idk

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

(plus i don't want imessage lock in)

what does this even mean

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

tim cook stole my messages

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Schadenboner posted:

You know, if you guys don't start sourcing your quots it'll seem like one or more of you is actually recommending the use of mobile devices using the Android Operating System.

Do you want really people to think you're the sort of person who would recommend that?

the android user... is coming from inside the thread

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Last Chance posted:

what does this even mean
being overly self conscious about blue vs green bubbles

*wakes up from a feverish nightmare*
"my god i dreamt my bubble turned brown!!"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i have many green bubble friends and many blue bubble friends i dont discriminate.

Apr 7, 2003

I stopped talking to my brother after his messages started coming in green bubbles.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Phobeste posted:

I don't quite get the obsession about phone specs other than "how big and how nice is the screen" and "how long does the battery last" and "is it a good user interface". for poo poo like basebands all you can ask is that it be not broken, who cares about individual little cpu and ram specs as long the phone runs kinda smooth

i guess i don't really do mobile games so maybe thats the reason? idk

when you can jam 8 cores and 32gb of ram into a phone but still get stutters and freezes doing something as complex as scrolling a webpage you know that specs have become completely divorced from user experience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Encrypted posted:

Never had an iphone, but if google cancels the Pixel line and stop making phones, i will jump to one.

I suffered through the original Droids, Note 3, galaxy nexus and the fantastic Nexus 6 with mediocre camera to a Pixel xl (which one day died without a warning) to the twice replaced (due to repairs) P3XL.

oh man, you are going to love getting a phone that works then

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Last Chance posted:

i have many green bubble friends and many blue bubble friends i dont discriminate.

kids do though

https://twitter.com/BenBajarin/status/1162048581299163136?s=20

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it does suck when a conversation turns green and you lose a bunch of imessage features but also kids are cruel as poo poo drat lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

otoh any teen that self identifies as an "android guy" is just asking to be shunned

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lmao, loving owned. I’ve heard a very similar story from friends who have kids.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Encrypted posted:

the android user... is coming from inside the thread

stop buying phones for specs. android phones compete on specs because idiots focus on numbers instead of the experience. you’ve literally said

quote:

Love Android, but only google does it right.

and yet also you

quote:

As for the Pixel, IMHO, its lack of popularity is due to Google's reach for the flagship phone with a middle to bottom of the pack spec/feature phone (except the camera, which generally is above average to very good). For what you pay, you don't get much.

if the pixel phone provides the best android experience (lol), maybe that’s worth paying for instead of better specs and a lovely experience.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is me trying to reason with android owners, and should not be construed as a suggestion to buy an android. never buy an android.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm pretty sure the standard advice has wavered between "buy a pixel" and "buy an android one phone" for a while now, followed by a long list of caveats about that said device won't do or is janky or sometimes broken.

weirdly, "buy this phone, it works well and you don't have to gently caress with it" is not a thing anyone recommending android ever says, for some reason

Apr 7, 2003

android users should be bullied

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can androids scroll properly yet?

also my partner has a samsung something or other and stuff we talk about in person (which is sadly rare right now since we've been isolating due to her taking care of her mother who is in poor health) ends up in my FB feed for days afterwards so i'm pretty sure it's listening to us

i had ads for zyrtec and trumpets after we briefly discussed both at her house a few weeks back and i never google or even think about those things except when they came up randomly in conversation

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

android users should be bullied

See, "bullied" as a word implies that the recipient of the bullying is not at fault. Mocking someone who, while possessing resources to buy an goode phone (one running iOS), chooses to buy an badde phone (one running Android) has acted culpably and is therefore at fault and perforce cannot be bullied for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

can androids scroll properly yet?

also my partner has a samsung something or other and stuff we talk about in person (which is sadly rare right now since we've been isolating due to her taking care of her mother who is in poor health) ends up in my FB feed for days afterwards so i'm pretty sure it's listening to us

i had ads for zyrtec and trumpets after we briefly discussed both at her house a few weeks back and i never google or even think about those things except when they came up randomly in conversation

turn off personalized ads so you get hilarious american flag gun holster ads instead

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i want to see the breakdown of android vs iphone for belt clip phone holders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

i want to see the breakdown of android vs iphone for belt clip phone holders

the top result for iphone belt clip on amazon (which fits 6 models) has 5 times as many reviews as the top result for samsung galaxy belt clip (which also fits 6 models).

uh oh