Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
why would you assume the life expectancy for a goon would start in the 90s

im feeling alright at the moment but something tells me i should have started my mid life crisis a good ten years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ephex posted:

i could go there with a loving pogostick
could you

ephex posted:

i might be fat as hell

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mid-life is the time from years 45–64[3][1][2]

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I know what Ephex means. I pretty much did the same thing last year. I have owned several cars over the years, but they were all simply Gebrauchsgegenstände, with no emotional attachment at all. The new car makes me happy on some level no car did before. :shrug:

No, I am not going full German and handwash it lovingly every Sunday.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 14, 2020

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Handwash is great though, almost meditative. Also much better results, also much cheaper and less wasteful.

Trick is if you wash your car every sunday, you dont spend much time doing it because it hasnt gotten that dirty in between washes. like cleaning your dishes after use vs letting them gunk up to the point of competing with Randlers sink.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

oliwan posted:

Mid-life is the time from years 45–64[3][1][2]

you keep telling yourself that, once you hit 35 and are single you'll feel different

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you keep telling yourself that, once you hit 35 and are single you'll feel different

I'm almost 38 op!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Combat Theory posted:

Handwash is great though, almost meditative. Also much better results, also much cheaper and less wasteful.

Trick is if you wash your car every sunday, you dont spend much time doing it because it hasnt gotten that dirty in between washes. like cleaning your dishes after use vs letting them gunk up to the point of competing with Randlers sink.

Just remember, depending on where you live washing your car on Sunday may be verboten.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Eezee posted:

Since you drive a TTS, you have to get a Mahlkönig
Loving the 2% Nachlass for Vorkasse. And zzgl 4,90€ Versandkosten.

Tarquinn posted:

I know what Ephex means. I pretty much did the same thing last year. I have owned several cars over the years, but they were all simply Gebrauchsgegenstände, with no emotional attachment at all. The new car makes me happy on some level no car did before. :shrug:
Yeah, I can say the same. Got myself a Cabrio (in 2018) and really love it.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 14, 2020

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Hopper posted:

Just remember, depending on where you live washing your car on Sunday may be verboten.

i rented a Garage/Workshop in the not-so-nice part of town where apparrently everyone is happy as long as you dont discard your used Motoröl in the backyard and im bribing the locals with cigarette packs to watch out for the place at night (which is fairly easy considering somehow the Werkstatt is literally the Erdgeschoss of a Mehrfamilienhaus)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Corona made me question my life choices so I impulse bought a live cat. It is very pretty.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Go to a shelter and stand inside a cat pen. Wait for the first cat to come to you to be petted and just get that one.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

pidan posted:

Corona made me question my life choices so I impulse bought a live cat. It is very pretty.

I can't just take your word for it. Prove it! :colbert:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

pidan posted:

Enjoy your foray into consumerism

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hopper posted:

Go to a shelter and stand inside a cat pen. Wait for the first cat to come to you to be petted and just get that one.

Magical moment

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So how 'bout that corona, eh? The numbers keep decreasing quite steadily. Apparently we have roughly 14.000 active cases left. There hasn't been a noticeable increase since the reduction of the measures either. The rate of infection only crossed the threshold of 1 for one or two days. I sort of wonder if nobody bothers to test for it anymore.

By now I actually agree with the idea to break the measures down to the Landkreise. If the Land has 10 new cases, except for one city, which has a sudden outbreak of 1000 new ones, it's sort of ridiculous to keep places 300 km away completely locked down. And the people from the safe zone would absolutely despise those measures and the people who caused them. But 50 new cases per week per 100.000 people is such a high mark. Obviously we aren't expecting that to occur everywhere at once, but if the average number is something like 20 and there are a few which are near, or beyond 50, I doubt anyone could track that. That would be roughly 16.000 new infections per week. Way more than we are having right now.

It's really unlikely to happen, but I hope, once the numbers are a bit lower than that, they lower that cutoff point to 40. I guess that has no chance to happen while some places are above that mark, though.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Equal thirds young, middle-aged, old for an 80-year life expectancy means you start being middle-aged at 27, old at 54. Sorry fellow middle-aged goons, it's just math.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Equal thirds young, middle-aged, old for an 80-year life expectancy means you start being middle-aged at 27, old at 54. Sorry fellow middle-aged goons, it's just math.

Nah, it should be based on current population dynamic, not just average lifetime. The median age in Germany is 47.1. This means everything below that is sorta young and everything above it is old. I guess if you have the numbers to calculate the 1/3 and 2/3-quantiles of the ages, you can extent it to your three categories. I bet if you measure it like that, being middle aged starts later. You are middle aged if you are older than 1/3 of the current people and old if you are older than 2/3 of the people. Average age and average life expectancy are correlated, but not the same.

You would need such a statistic But this one is a bit to coarse. According to this, you'd be middle aged if you are in the group of 25-39 year olds and there are roughly 7 million people in this group who are younger than you. But since I have no data about how that group breaks down, I guess I will just take the average, which points to an age of 32.

I am still young. You hear me? Young I say!

That was fun.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 15, 2020

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

At this rate the rite of passage for entering "middle age" is gonna be being sent off to the Altersheim by your gesetzlicher Vertreter

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

pidan posted:

pics or it didn't happen!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

pidan posted:

Man, why didn’t you adopt? Also get a second one, preferably at the shelter.

But hey post pics.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Hopper posted:

We tried that but they had waiting lists for each individual cat and wouldn't let you touch them unless you were qualified for the list. The latter is probably a good policy tbh. A full time job disqualifies you if there are perfectly good pensioners and housewives available. Not having a garden also disqualifies you for most cats.
Maybe they would have considered us for the man eating cat with three pages of warning label, but we don't feel qualified for that.

So we just pre ordered a fancy cat from a responsible breeder. Will post pics once we actually get it.

They can get Corona but they don't spread it so it's fine.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

cant cook creole bream posted:

So how 'bout that corona, eh? The numbers keep decreasing quite steadily. Apparently we have roughly 14.000 active cases left. There hasn't been a noticeable increase since the reduction of the measures either. The rate of infection only crossed the threshold of 1 for one or two days. I sort of wonder if nobody bothers to test for it anymore.

By now I actually agree with the idea to break the measures down to the Landkreise. If the Land has 10 new cases, except for one city, which has a sudden outbreak of 1000 new ones, it's sort of ridiculous to keep places 300 km away completely locked down. And the people from the safe zone would absolutely despise those measures and the people who caused them. But 50 new cases per week per 100.000 people is such a high mark. Obviously we aren't expecting that to occur everywhere at once, but if the average number is something like 20 and there are a few which are near, or beyond 50, I doubt anyone could track that. That would be roughly 16.000 new infections per week. Way more than we are having right now.

It's really unlikely to happen, but I hope, once the numbers are a bit lower than that, they lower that cutoff point to 40. I guess that has no chance to happen while some places are above that mark, though.

I've been wondering what exactly the R number being reported is, because I'd like to think that the RKI does some statistics and doesn't just calculate R = (cases over the last 4 days/cases over the 4 days before that). That's a formula I found in some document from the RKI that was supposed to give you a rough idea on what R is and how it's calculated, but it did mention that to get a more result, you have to put in a bit more effort. I mean, in the end you most likely have to think about this in the terms of some probability distribution so I'm wondering if the R being reported is the expectation or the upper/lower end of some confidence interval or something like that. Another thing I find strange is that the number's changing so quickly. Like, last Wednesday it was 0.65, over the weekend it was over 1 and now it's 0.75 again? Seems like whatever they're doing is not that accurate.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Combat Theory posted:

You should get a Motorrad too.

125er can be driven with your Klasse B Führerschein If you do a single extra test.

I'm sorry, what now?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

pidan posted:

We tried that but they had waiting lists for each individual cat and wouldn't let you touch them unless you were qualified for the list. The latter is probably a good policy tbh. A full time job disqualifies you if there are perfectly good pensioners and housewives available. Not having a garden also disqualifies you for most cats.
Maybe they would have considered us for the man eating cat with three pages of warning label, but we don't feel qualified for that.

So we just pre ordered a fancy cat from a responsible breeder. Will post pics once we actually get it.

They can get Corona but they don't spread it so it's fine.

Yeah, I heard that shelters are actually kinda emptied these days because of people like pidan. Which is a good thing, but I hope they won't just abandon their pets once they get back to their offices.

Also funny timing for this new study
https://www.google.com/amp/s/rp-onl...83%3foutput=amp

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm sorry, what now?

New laws have been passed this year that allow Autofahrer to ride 125er Motorräder If they take an extra test.

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/zweirad/motorrad-roller/kauf-verkauf/125er-motorraeder-marktuebersicht/

Actually it's not even a test. Just a Schulung you take.

125er are plenty enough to ride along in traffic and on cross country roads, they are very cheap to buy and insure , taxes are practically nothing and they consume virtually no fuel (2 liter per 100 km) which makes them more economic than even electric cars. And they don't clog the city. Which is the reason why in the nation of Bürokratie ist even allowing something like this.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 15, 2020

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

pidan posted:

Oh, good for you! You sound really responsible about the whole thing. What kind did you get?

Also the “cats spreading roni” thing: gently caress

(I hope it’s another case of badly reported “we found RNA traces in their fur”)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Zwille posted:

Oh, good for you! You sound really responsible about the whole thing. What kind did you get?

Also the “cats spreading roni” thing: gently caress

(I hope it’s another case of badly reported “we found RNA traces in their fur”)

Nah, read the link I posted earlier.
Scientists put some corona into some cats and places them together in cages with empty ones. Soon afterwards all the cats had it.
Apparently no visible symptoms, though.
You probably should not kiss your cat, if it can go outside.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah cats can’t get Schnupfen from humans either but it’s odd because that would mean they’d also be a vector in regular Grippe times. Eh. Figure going groceries shopping is more of a risk.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nah, read the link I posted earlier.
Scientists put some corona into some cats and places them together in cages with empty ones. Soon afterwards all the cats had it.
Apparently no visible symptoms, though.
You probably should not kiss your cat, if it can go outside.

There were a bunch of tigers in a US zoo who got the roni and had visible symptoms like coughing, sneezing and weariness. No idea if that applies to house cats as well, though

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

System Metternich posted:

There were a bunch of tigers in a US zoo who got the roni and had visible symptoms like coughing, sneezing and weariness. No idea if that applies to house cats as well, though

That was pretty funny because it was towards the start of the outbreak in NYC when the testing guidelines for humans were still "we won't test you unless you have symptoms and someone from Wuhan who tested positive coughed directly into your mouth" (instead of "there's no tests, sorry (not sorry)" like now), BUT those tigers still got tested

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Smirr posted:

That was pretty funny because it was towards the start of the outbreak in NYC when the testing guidelines for humans were still "we won't test you unless you have symptoms and someone from Wuhan who tested positive coughed directly into your mouth" (instead of "there's no tests, sorry (not sorry)" like now), BUT those tigers still got tested

Whether tigers can get Corona is a more valuable info than whether random person #4321 has Corona. So that seems like a reasonable use of resources.

Cats have their own coronavirus FCoV that can't infect humans, and it's super grisly. I hope the human nCoV is nothing like that.

It's this type of cat by the way:

A Siberian cat that basically becomes a sheep in winter and gets darker when it's cold. Looking forward to brushing it every day.

E: winter version

pidan fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 15, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

pidan posted:

Whether tigers can get Corona is a more valuable info than whether random person #4321 has Corona. So that seems like a reasonable use of resources.

Cats have their own coronavirus FCoV that can't infect humans, and it's super grisly. I hope the human nCoV is nothing like that.

It's this type of cat by the way:

A Siberian cat that basically becomes a sheep in winter and gets darker when it's cold. Looking forward to brushing it every day.

E: winter version

beautiful kitty, get prepared to vacuum at least daily.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

pidan posted:

Looking forward to brushing it every day.
You can get gloves with the brush built-in. :3:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Not all cats like it and it can be dangerous in terms of potentially spreading salmonella all over your place, but if you are interested and can find a way to make it work, my cats loved eating raw chicken necks. It's good for their teeth and introduces a bit more variation into their diet, they just sit there growling and gnawing on it for half an hour, they get really excited when you bring it out. Obviously not every day but it made me happy to see them happy

It was also a reasonable way to get medicine into one of our cats, I can't remember what the medicine was for but it was a powder that I would just sprinkle on it. He apparently decided that the chicken neck was worth licking clean before eating

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 15, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That's a good solid cat. Not too much, not too little. A good basic cat for everyday life. What's the milage like?

Now that I think about it, don't ~pedigree~ animals have all kind of hosed up eugenics genetics that blow out their joints and organs at age 3? Or is that just a problem with dogs?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

That's a good solid cat. Not too much, not too little. A good basic cat for everyday life. What's the milage like?

Now that I think about it, don't ~pedigree~ animals have all kind of hosed up eugenics genetics that blow out their joints and organs at age 3? Or is that just a problem with dogs?

My sister at one time had 4 pedigree cats. One had to be put down at age ~5 on account of how he couldn't/wouldn't piss. The other three all have various ailments that rack up €€€ in vet costs, but at least haven't killed them yet. My sister blames the specific breeder fwiw

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

Mostly dogs, but some types of cat are also bad. Short nosed Persians have the same problems as short nosed dogs. Fold ear cats are controversial since they ~*allegedly*~ have bad bones. Completely white cats are deaf and blind.

Color point cats in general apparently can't see as well as normal cats, especially in the dark, but I think it's fine. Siberian cats specifically have only been bred on purpose for about 30 years, so there hasn't been that much time for them to develop weird issues. Verdict: good solid Russian cat, suitable for its purpose.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I almost forgot, didn’t Xavier Naidoo say that the NWO was due for today? And I’m only in my Jogginghose, what will the vaccine troopers think when the storm my house? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
With this cat talk, here is an old cat photo of our adopted cat. She used to be extremely fearful of humans when we got her, and she still doesn't like to be approached and generally wants scritches on her own terms.