Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Splinter posted:

I've been debating pulling the trigger on an Ooni myself. The Koda looks like an easy to use winner, but any thoughts on their other models that can use wood/charcoal (and also gas via add-on)?

The wood pellet one is way too fussy and a pain imo. I want this gas one tho. How well does it do for New York style where I don't really want 900F?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

ShaneB posted:

The wood pellet one is way too fussy and a pain imo. I want this gas one tho. How well does it do for New York style where I don't really want 900F?

the heat is adjustable, though you'll want an IR thermometer and it'll take a little practice to get the right level. i've been preheating on full then turning the flame down for slightly longer cooking but less chance of lighting pizzas on fire. I'm definitely going to grab a little turning peel, too.

e: c'mon just look how cute this thing is

large hands fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 24, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve made like six pizzas in the past two weeks, because I’m trying to get as much work as possible out of my new mixer before I take that disappointment back. I didn’t think about this thread. I’ve been posting them all in the dinner thread.

large hands posted:

(managed to light one pie on fire)

This struck me as very funny, but I’ve been up for thirty hours, so I’m not sure if what I’m feeling is real.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

This AP i bought from a local bakery-turned-grocer was a bitch to work with but try two worked much better.

KAF no knead artisan pizza dough recipe, pizza steel, kalamata, mozz, and ricotta

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Used jeff varasanos dough recipe with my quarantine starter tonight. Our all purpose flour in Canada is made from winter wheat and is higher in gluten, the Rogers all purpose unbleached I have is 13.5% I believe

Margherita with garlic:

Salami with too much olive oil lol:

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

This struck me as very funny, but I’ve been up for thirty hours, so I’m not sure if what I’m feeling is real.

I'm still laughing about it myself

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

After watching too much Dave Portnoy (don't judge), I tried to make some bar pie. Thin crust, low moisture mozz, parmigiano then added jalapeno and crispy bacon bits. Ran out of tinned tomatoes, so made the home made BBQ sauce from ketchup, apple cider vinegar, honey, SPG and Worcestershire sauce.

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 2, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I wish having slices for sale at the bar was a thing here. Never tried that style outside of the serious eats tortilla pizza hack

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jamsta posted:

After watching too much Dave Portnoy (don't judge), I tried to make some bar pie. Thin crust, low moisture mozz, parmigiano then added jalapeno and crispy bacon bits. Ran out of tinned tomatoes, so made the home made BBQ sauce from ketchup, apple cider vinegar, honey, SPG and Worcestershire sauce.

tavern pie has a cracker crust. unless your recipe has you rolling the dough out and docking it, it's not tavern pie. (your pizza looks loving delicious, regardless)

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

tavern pie has a cracker crust. unless your recipe has you rolling the dough out and docking it, it's not tavern pie. (your pizza looks loving delicious, regardless)

you got me, I didn't roll and crop the edges.

did use a oiled pizza tray, did press the edges out but still got some expansion.

need to get a steel to replace my smashed stone, and try the Kenji-alt method.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jamsta posted:

you got me, I didn't roll and crop the edges.

did use a oiled pizza tray, did press the edges out but still got some expansion.

need to get a steel to replace my smashed stone, and try the Kenji-alt method.

what does cropping the edge mean? honestly kenji's bar pizza recipe isn't very good (unless you're talking about the tortilla one, which is fantastic for the minimal amount of effort). check out the cracker style recipes on the pizzamaking forums instead. or the chicago style forum for that style of thin, if you'd like a little more heft than cracker.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 3, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need y’all to either give me some tips on how to make pizza on a Big Green Egg with the round baking steel, or recommend me a bigger pizza stone for the Egg than the Big Green Egg-branded one.

I’d like to be able to cook 16+” pizzas on my Egg, but I am having one royal hell of a time not burning the poo poo out of my crust whenever I use the baking steel. I know that’s why everyone recommends using stones on the Egg instead of steels, but...... DAMMIT I WANT TO MAKE BIGGER PIZZAS!! :mad:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I made a tortilla pizza using that Kenji recipe because I had spare sauce and cheese and a single flour tortilla.

Took ten minutes, was delicious, would eat again and again.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Who has experience with grill pizza ovens like Kettle Pizza (https://www.kettlepizza.com). I want to get something hotter than my 550 degree home oven. But I don't have the space or cash to splurge on a dedicated pizza oven. I'm looking at these things that are basically a metal box just big enough to hold a 12 inch pizza, that goes on a grill and should get over 600 degrees.

Your thoughts? I know they won't be as good as an Ooni, but can they do better than a simple home oven?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Been lurking here for a bit. Since i'm stuck with the 250°C electric oven that came with my apartment for the time being i've been trying my hand at cast iron deep dish pizza. After a few attempts and tweaks i'm really happy with the results.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Bistromatic posted:

Been lurking here for a bit. Since i'm stuck with the 250°C electric oven that came with my apartment for the time being i've been trying my hand at cast iron deep dish pizza. After a few attempts and tweaks i'm really happy with the results.

That looks great, although it’s driving me crazy that the pepperoni are all huddled in the middle. I did a Chicagoish-style pizza last night:

OK, I’m back. Would you believe that this time I did not make a pizza?

Of course you woudn’t, because you are not stupid.

Dough, cheese. So much cheese.

Mushrooms, (turkey) pepperoni.

Another layer of dough (not pictured, oops), sauce. I had feta, so I used feta, even though it wasn’t particularly a feta type of pie.

The feta was racing the crust, and starting to blacken, so I chickened out and pulled the pie too early. Because the dough wasn’t as firm as it should have been, I made a bit of a mess pulling it out of the pan. You can see that the sauce and feta are slopped around in a bit of disarray. It tastes good, though.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Getting better. Taste was fantastic, probably in the tp 10% of NYC style pizza's I've eaten. 66% hydration dough made from 00 flour with a very light sauce and a blend of aged whole milk mozz and fresh mozz.

Still working on technique. Needed probably another minute in the oven, a slightly thinner crust and more cheese.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ShaneB posted:

Nope! I have been using it a bit more in the oven as a heat spreader/shield for the above rack, which has a cast iron dutch oven for sourdough baking. That's it. No steamy stuff.

Seasoned it so it gets a black finish? That gives some rust protection.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was looking at Kenji's NY style dough and it requires a food processor which I do not have.

Any other recommended recipes/methods for NY style dough?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I was looking at Kenji's NY style dough and it requires a food processor which I do not have.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann-nystyle.php
This is the standard recommended NY recipe over at the pizza making forums, it's done with a mixer but I've made it fine without one. I'm sure you could probably find something better that utilizes a starter but for a basic recipe it's reliable(and probably more well founded than what you'd get from a jack of all trades like Kenji).

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 6, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The food processor is just a way of kneading faster. You can use Kenji's recipe and knead by hand if you want.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
My cheapish Ohio Stoneware pizza stone split. Any recommendations for a stone that doesn’t mind cycling 550 degrees? I don’t think you’re allowed to wander around the Lowe’s garden section, right now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

My cheapish Ohio Stoneware pizza stone split. Any recommendations for a stone that doesn’t mind cycling 550 degrees? I don’t think you’re allowed to wander around the Lowe’s garden section, right now.

Good time to get a steel that'll never break instead!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I've made this recipe in a ka mixer no less than 100 times, you can do it with a good processor, mixer or by hand.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Goons with portable/tabletop pizza ovens: how fast do they go through propane tanks? Kenji’s recent video is pushing me towards making the plunge, but a 45 minute preheat seems like it’d empty a tank fairly fast.

https://youtu.be/WDK762aVaMI

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I can't speak for the 16" oven but the I've used the 12" Koda probably 6 times now for dinners where it was on for at least forty minutes and the small tank I'm using isnt much noticeably lighter. It takes about twenty minutes to heat up.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
particularly tasty one tonight; black forest ham, spring onion and lots of garlic

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can you make a bread starter with an existing (dwindling) stash of ADY? ....would that yield more "normal" yeast or would it turn into sourdough from the wild yeast floating around? Anyone have any idea how to breed more yeast from existing normal yeast?

Can't find yeast. What a time to be alive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^near seattle? i have some extra.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

cr0y posted:

Can you make a bread starter with an existing (dwindling) stash of ADY? ....would that yield more "normal" yeast or would it turn into sourdough from the wild yeast floating around? Anyone have any idea how to breed more yeast from existing normal yeast?

Can't find yeast. What a time to be alive.

So you can breed more yeast by following sourdough guidelines, it won’t be sourdough at first but it will eventually get there. ADY is such a hearty beast it will kill any wild yeast that starts to grow which is why it’s not recommended for starting a sourdough culture.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone have a sourdough recipe they particularly like? I didn't have much luck with the recipe from fwsy.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Sourdough discard pizza. Jalapeño pepperoni, artichoke and mushroom. Not pictured: the bastard that caught on the peel and then became a calzone that also stuck and became an appetizer.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Gwaihir posted:

Good time to get a steel that'll never break instead!

I considered this, and decided it was a fair point. However, I just took a look at Amazon, and the only appropriate baking steel I see is $190. Is that just what they cost? I am currently corona-furloughed, so I am aiming lower than that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
No, that's like double+ what it should be. It's probably the same thing with a ton of corona stuff, everyone's stuck at home getting coming things and the companies that make them are shut down.

Try eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/i/223505680325...YAaAlT6EALw_wcB

3/8" is about as thick as I'd go, I don't think you gain anything from a 1/2" steel other than back problems taking it out of the oven.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Plenty of people in the comments are using this steel from Amazon for $30 and there are a variety of sizes from that seller (don't go thinner than 1/4", IMO). As long as there's no scale, just give it a good soap and water scrub and then season it like you would cast iron before using.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I need y’all to either give me some tips on how to make pizza on a Big Green Egg with the round baking steel, or recommend me a bigger pizza stone for the Egg than the Big Green Egg-branded one.

I’d like to be able to cook 16+” pizzas on my Egg, but I am having one royal hell of a time not burning the poo poo out of my crust whenever I use the baking steel. I know that’s why everyone recommends using stones on the Egg instead of steels, but...... DAMMIT I WANT TO MAKE BIGGER PIZZAS!! :mad:

Hello?

... anybody?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I had a pizza fall into the fire on my bge like 10 years ago and never bothered trying again.

It runs so hot that it's really better for napoletana style.

It's not really the ideal tool for it imo.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I. M. Gei posted:

Hello?

... anybody?

The BGE isn't my thing and I haven't worked with baking steels so I just stayed away, but you know I can bullshit a lot. For the sake of everybody else though, it would be useful to know how the crust is burning. It doesn't sound like you're completely obliterating the pizzas, so there's some part that isn't cooking before the other parts turn into charcoal. I'll just guess and you can tell me where I'm incorrect. I'm guessing the bottom is blackening before the top finishes. I'm guessing the heat is under the steel and there isn't direct heat on top. Reducing the heat just makes the pizzas take forever and you get something that is paradoxically a raw cracker.

If it's not a bunch of money or whatever and you're stuck with using a steel then how about... two steels? If they're just together then I would think the extra thermal mass will smooth out the heat from the fire. Or alternately you warm them up together and then tong one on top of a set of firebricks to create an upper warmer. I've heard of this but you're always risking bumping the bricks and causing the steel to collapse on top of your pizza right when you're pulling it out. Or heck, if you can fit the thin firebricks in the BGE then you can put your steel on top of that. I think the time it'll take to charge will be frustrating though.

If the sides of the pizza aren't burning then I'd wonder if you can distribute the fuel to the edges so that it can see the top of the egg's dome lid and bounce down onto the pizza.

A final, desperate move: find the flour with the lowest ash content you can and increase your baker's hydration by 10% or more. This is based on some discussions I've had with the local mill about pizza and flour. They found that their flours that had higher ash contents were easier to burn, and I unfortunately had confirmed that. They had said that they recommended increasing the hydration. The theory is that extra "stuff" that comprises the ash content is hogging water that would otherwise be steaming itself out in the heat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I considered this, and decided it was a fair point. However, I just took a look at Amazon, and the only appropriate baking steel I see is $190. Is that just what they cost? I am currently corona-furloughed, so I am aiming lower than that.

Baking steel prices are loving ridiculous compared to what the steel actually costs. If you where you go to some fabrication shop where they work with steel you could get some suitable off-cut or leftover for fraction of the price.

I got a round 22" 1/4 steel for 10 euros, it was leftover from a plasma cutout, fresh steel otherwise, I cut it down with an angle grinder and it now lives permanently in my oven.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I. M. Gei posted:

Hello?

... anybody?

A grill and a baking steel is not a good combo ask me how I know... You want a baking stone for the grill. The steel gets too hot and burns your pizza. The steel is meant for regular ovens that don't get hot enough like a true pizza oven, it's a way to get around it.

So yeah you can have too much heat! I didn't think it was possible either...

I got a cheapo stone from the local analog to harbour freight or home depot for the grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Behold the most digusting looking Pizza I've ever made.

My mother in law took a perfectly good margarita and dumped a lot of poo poo on it. I then had to overcook this sorry mess so it wouldnt turn into a sloppy mess. Which it still did.

She loved it though...