Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ijyt posted:

Weird take cos I had the exact opposite opinion.
Same. I think it looked great. And it still had an art style, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Graphics are cool and all especially with the new Unreal Engine but doesn’t anyone want destructible environments? They haven’t improved since the original Red Faction and everything in Battlefield is pre-determined map elements.

Lighting is the major roadblock for destructible environments, and the new lighting seems to be built to handle destruction well

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
So has anything really new and exciting been gleaned from the GTC announcements as far as consumer gaming gpu’s?

Seems like the leaked stats for the 30xx series look realistic based on the data center Gpu they released?

Still rumored August/September for founders edition cards?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The leaks also 100% called no sign-on GFX, which is not exactly something that people would randomly predict given Nvidia's past stance on it. So someone is out there leaking what appears to be real information, only question is what is accurate...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Twibbit posted:

Lighting is the major roadblock for destructible environments, and the new lighting seems to be built to handle destruction well

Ah hah!

That's a good point - doesn't UE4 just pre-render all the lighting as the game loads?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Ah hah!

That's a good point - doesn't UE4 just pre-render all the lighting as the game loads?

UE4 bakes the indirect lighting when the game is compiled, then it's just shipped with the game as data. Lights can be dynamic of course but dynamic ones don't cast indirect bounces.

Taima posted:

The leaks also 100% called no sign-on GFX, which is not exactly something that people would randomly predict given Nvidia's past stance on it. So someone is out there leaking what appears to be real information, only question is what is accurate...

Where was it confirmed that they're dropping GFEs sign-in requirement? I can't find anything.

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 15, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

K8.0 posted:

This is a not a great take. For a long time we've been seeing CGI movies that are deliberately non-photorealistic, and the more usable and inexpensive the technology becomes, the more NPR movies and TV we're seeing. The technical constraints have applied across artistic visions, not just to the pursuit of photorealism. Especially in real-time graphics where not just accomplishing things but accomplishing them quickly is necessary, it is not the case that photorealism is a superset of other art styles. For example, doing a sketched art style requires techniques that are never used in the pursuit of photorealism. Real-time dynamic NPR art is entirely unique to real-time rendering, it doesn't exist anywhere else in reality.

There's also another bias in TV and movies in particular because they're usually mixed media, so a lot of the time you want to use physical actors and environments and add other things retain their necessarily realistic style. Step back from TV and movies and their historical limitations and look at art as a broader picture. Most art is deliberately non-photorealistic to some extent. Even in non-visual art, realism is only sometimes a goal.

I'm just being galaxy brain about it. All art is human visual and aural input distorted and remixed by a human brain. The source data is ultimately reality, which we perceive as photons hitting our eyes (also sound, touch and other senses). A photorealistic renderer is simplified simulation of reality which can also be filtered, through a human or programmatically, to become a non-realistic depiction.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I don't understand why anyone would at all be surprised by today's news.

NVIDIA has solidified their hold on the enterprise market, they know AMD is about to drop in with both new consoles and thus obviously didn't fire their best shot, because they still have the performance advantage. They didn't have to.

Additional interconnects and memory bandwidth are largely going to pad the stats on commercial and large-scale apps. That's where the money is at. Now AMD gets to make pennies on the dollar on low-margin chips for the rest of the year.

[I'm saying this was done to preserve share value if it wasn't obvious.]

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Their best shot? Not sure what you mean there. NVidia has regularly not talked much about the gaming line during their datacenter card reveals, and this is really no different. The compute stuff actually looks real impressive, honestly, especially at the price points they mentioned.

You're right that datacenter cards are waaay more profitable, though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i hope they do more with the LP/drop in cards next go around. maybe they will because of the uptick in PC sales, of which i assume there must be a lot of office machines (though mainly portables) being sold

i posted that last year too to no avail really

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

eames posted:

People expect a high end consumer product around August. Cyberpunk 2077 is scheduled for September, so it'd certainly make sense to have a new card on the market by then. There's also RDNA2 which was scheduled for this summer.

I'm really crossing my fingers for a bundle. I just upgraded to a ryzen 3600 but held on to my 970 since I'm staying at 1080. If they bundle a 3070 with cyberpunk I will be set for a while I think.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Software rendering is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

https://twitter.com/BrianKaris/status/1261099569426751488?s=19

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

DrDork posted:

Their best shot? Not sure what you mean there. NVidia has regularly not talked much about the gaming line during their datacenter card reveals, and this is really no different. The compute stuff actually looks real impressive, honestly, especially at the price points they mentioned.

You're right that datacenter cards are waaay more profitable, though.

I've played both sides of the aisle in past lives. You're right, but in the past, they'd at least give some lip service to gaming. This was datacenter, datacenter, datacenter. And you could at least get a Volta AIC if you *really* wanted to. I'd be suprised if this makes it to x16 PCIe format in anything that isn't gobbled up by integrators before it hits the street.

What I was saying is that, I think under greater pressure, NVIDIA could've done way better than this but better to preserve and taper on their performance ramp in a controlled manner so idiot stock analysts keep number going up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/danfornace/status/1260846133150011392

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

What I was saying is that, I think under greater pressure, NVIDIA could've done way better than this but better to preserve and taper on their performance ramp in a controlled manner so idiot stock analysts keep number going up.

Yeah, it's true that I don't think NVidia gives a rat's rear end what AMD is doing right now, and are (rightfully) entirely confident that they don't need to give anything away about gaming cards because it really doesn't matter--everyone is going to buy the 30xx series regardless.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They even well actuallyd. Magnificent.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I want a GT 1030 successor

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The DDR4 or the GDDR5 version?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DrDork posted:

The DDR4 or the GDDR5 version?
:suicide:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

:hmmyes:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ideally with passive cooling.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

lol at all the hype about the ssds allowing seamless streaming and the first demo they show has an obvious character-slowly-shuffles-through-tight-gap hidden loading transition

This comment enraged the devs, because it's not even true

Edit: f;b.. hard

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

Ideally with passive cooling.

Giving me flashbacks to the 5200FX I had in high school. Easily the worst card I’ve ever had.

Wait, no, it was replacing a Vanta, THAT was the worst card I ever had.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i thought a geforce 4 mx or whatever was going to be One Better than the geforce 3 i had read so much about

idk that its the worst card ive ever had but it might be the most disappointing

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
someone a while back told me some cooler upgrade options for this card but I forget them (thank you and sorry!)

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N208TTURBO-11GC-rev-10#kf

I'm getting tired of this blower since I picked up a super cheap VR headset and it's so loud. Can anyone recommend some good solutions now that I have tons of time on my hands in quarantine?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Statutory Ape posted:

i hope they do more with the LP/drop in cards next go around. maybe they will because of the uptick in PC sales, of which i assume there must be a lot of office machines (though mainly portables) being sold

i posted that last year too to no avail really

doesnt the 1650 work without additional power? but yeah a single slow replacement for the GT 1030 with updated NVENC please :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

charity rereg posted:

doesnt the 1650 work without additional power? but yeah a single slow replacement for the GT 1030 with updated NVENC please :)

The 1650 (but not the 1650 Super) does not need external power connectors, correct.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

charity rereg posted:

it does but theres not much in the way of low profile cards. last gen there were a few companies making the ones like i posted here a couple pages back.

thats a 1050ti crammed in a refurbed dell i got for $89 then shoved spare parts into

plays the lastest call of duty just fine :shrug:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

TFW you live in a favela but want to play CoD good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Taima posted:

TFW you live in a favela but want to play CoD good

actually i just wanted to make a computer that ran it for cheaper than an xbox to prove a point to myself & some friends

i feel bad for the 1.5 million people in the favelas in rio right now though because theyre probably all going to die.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

We're all going to die, friend.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Statutory Ape posted:

it does but theres not much in the way of low profile cards. last gen there were a few companies making the ones like i posted here a couple pages back.

thats a 1050ti crammed in a refurbed dell i got for $89 then shoved spare parts into

plays the lastest call of duty just fine :shrug:

i just picked up a 5040 w/ i5-6600 & 8GB of RAM for $100 on Facebook, currently have a GT 1030 in there now, so i feel this. Want it to transcode though. You can get the 1650s now but ~180 seems steep.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

charity rereg posted:

i just picked up a 5040 w/ i5-6600 & 8GB of RAM for $100 on Facebook, currently have a GT 1030 in there now, so i feel this. Want it to transcode though. You can get the 1650s now but ~180 seems steep.

thats a sick find tbh. and thats my problem with the current lowpro lineup, except for the EVO i tossed in that thing, $180 would be probably double the investment in that system and just isnt worth it imho.

also that thing is a haswell i5 so im pretty sure its just about seen its final game engine, rip

part of me wants to toss an i7 in there for fun / something to do but its literally just not worth any fuckery anymore. ive already tried to give it away locally a couple times but everybody i know is either too nerdy or not nerdy enough

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Statutory Ape posted:

i thought a geforce 4 mx or whatever was going to be One Better than the geforce 3 i had read so much about

For me it's easily the Geforce FX series. They came out and took full advantage of the Half Life 2 and Counterstrike Source hype, but they didn't even render DX9 properly. So the most popular PC game in literally years ran and looked like rear end.
Nvidia has done a lot of lovely, misleading things over the years. Fake DX9, and 3.5GB of memory on their 970s will always stick in my craw.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

charity rereg posted:

someone a while back told me some cooler upgrade options for this card but I forget them (thank you and sorry!)

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N208TTURBO-11GC-rev-10#kf

I'm getting tired of this blower since I picked up a super cheap VR headset and it's so loud. Can anyone recommend some good solutions now that I have tons of time on my hands in quarantine?

Arctic Accelero, Raijintek Morpheus or Kraken G12 + an AIO are the most common options.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

HalloKitty posted:

This comment enraged the devs, because it's not even true

I feel like one can't really fault people for making that assumption too much tho, it's really strange choice to show off texture detail with what used to be a hidden loading screen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

For me it's easily the Geforce FX series. They came out and took full advantage of the Half Life 2 and Counterstrike Source hype, but they didn't even render DX9 properly. So the most popular PC game in literally years ran and looked like rear end.
Nvidia has done a lot of lovely, misleading things over the years. Fake DX9, and 3.5GB of memory on their 970s will always stick in my craw.

Wait, what did the FX series do with Half Life 2? Wasn’t Nvidia on the 6 series by then? I got my FX5200 when KOTOR came out, so that was a year before HL2.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wait, what did the FX series do with Half Life 2? Wasn’t Nvidia on the 6 series by then? I got my FX5200 when KOTOR came out, so that was a year before HL2.

If memory serves that was a period of time where Nvidia hardware was way behind ATI in performance. I got an ATI 9600 Pro AIW in that time period and it was ridiculously overpowered compared to the then-current Nvidia cards.

The FX 5200 ended in lots of OEM computers and was pretty gutless, as I recall. I don't remember the specific issues the other person mentioned, but I was team red at that point in time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Statutory Ape posted:

The geforce 4 mx was just a rebranded geforce 2 mx, iirc. I remember vividly back in the day thinking it was poo poo and making sure my friends didn't buy one. Then the FX series came, and I had to do the same there. Geforce 4 MX and FX 5200 were both utter abominations and basically shouldn't have existed

Incessant Excess posted:

I feel like one can't really fault people for making that assumption too much tho, it's really strange choice to show off texture detail with what used to be a hidden loading screen.

It's probably just because they were copying set pieces from actual games, and didn't stop to think that people might assume it was a hidden loading area

vv 7800 GTX, now we're talking.. I have a friend who had 7800 GTX SLI and a goddamn VapoChill case to cool his Athlon at that time. I do feel like the 256MB version was a bit short-lived, though, they should have all shipped with 512MB if you ask me. NVIDIA has far too often been a bit cheap when it comes to the amount of VRAM on a card

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If memory serves that was a period of time where Nvidia hardware was way behind ATI in performance. I got an ATI 9600 Pro AIW in that time period and it was ridiculously overpowered compared to the then-current Nvidia cards.

The FX 5200 ended in lots of OEM computers and was pretty gutless, as I recall. I don't remember the specific issues the other person mentioned, but I was team red at that point in time.

For sure, I switched to the Radeon 9800 Pro when HL2 came out from my dogshit FX5200 but I was just curious about the HL2 hype aspect. It wouldn’t shock me if they used it to push overstock from that dogshit card, I remember it being insanely over marketed when it came out.

Then the year after the 7800 GTX came out and hooo boy, NVidia was cooking with gas on that one. I had a pair in my stupid expensive high-end computer and it was ridiculous in 2005.