Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm gonna take my 70kg double and go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Sludge Tank posted:

Deadlifting for cardio =/= deadlifting for strength

I owe lots of my strongman conditioning to 4x12 sets of deadlifts and deadlift EMOMS. I enjoy repping the poo poo out of heavy rear end deadlifts. Never TNG. But taking a breath at the top and maintaining tension at the bottom helps heaps. Resetting your brace and tension at the bottom of the lift is what fucks people.

I annihilated all competition in last years finals strongman comp with an axle bar deadlift AMRAP event

try this:

Trap bar, low handles; (pReferably handles at normal BB height)
Use 65% of your barbell deadlift 1RM
3 reps every minute on the minute for 10 minutes (if you have a decently heavy 1RM to work from).
No touch n go allowed.

Rest in peace

Deadlifting for sets of 12 is the most miserable unpleasant experience I think I have ever experienced while strength training.

I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I probably won't see a trap bar for years.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I traded the rowing machine for a pair of 20s.

gently caress cardio.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

If someone offered me a rower for my plates I'd be tempted. I'm getting fat again.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
If you are in the DFW area we should talk. I picked up a rower a few years ago and never used it much. Rowing is weird and I never could get into it like I did with running. Id happily give it away for a few plates.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What rower? I don't have plates but I've been curious about a rower or exercise bike and I have money so that's...half as good as plates if you get desperate to get rid of it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Its one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZB2T1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently its gone up in price a bit since we purchased it. It worked just fine before I decided rowing really wasnt my thing and parked it in the back of the garage to be forgotten about. It probably will need a bit of TLC like a chain oiling but it should still be in pretty good shape overall.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

VorpalFish posted:

Deadlifting for sets of 12 is the most miserable unpleasant experience I think I have ever experienced while strength training.

I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

Its honestly just like any other conditioning. Yeah its loving horrible but isnt that the idea?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Sludge Tank posted:

Its honestly just like any other conditioning. Yeah its loving horrible but isnt that the idea?

It's the absolute worst. I'm not going to claim to be some conditioning expert but of everything I've done I think it's the only thing that makes me want to vomit.

Like yearn for the comparatively pleasant experience of puking.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Arent there better ways to do conditioning? Maybe Im just old and falling apart but high rep deadlift sets seem like a great way to gently caress up your back without really gaining much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Thor has become so fat lol

He is chasing that fatstrength dragon

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

CoffeeBooze posted:

Arent there better ways to do conditioning? Maybe Im just old and falling apart but high rep deadlift sets seem like a great way to gently caress up your back without really gaining much.

If you wanna get good at deadlifts
Do more deadlifts

If you hold form its not gonna gently caress up ypur back. If anything its gonna make it stronger just like any other form lf hypertrophy

Ive said this before but i like 10-12 week progressions that start at 4x12 reps and finish at 4x2, restart and add weight every cycle

Never 1rm. Massive hypertrophy and strength gains. Apply same formula to all major lifts if you want. The first couple of times suck but at the end of the block and a deload 12 reps with a lighter weight is a relief from the 4x2 of 85-90% and it becomes much easier over time

People go wow cool that guys gonna deadlift 500+ then you rep it for 12 and they stare in disbelief

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAF1ufygieq/

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

CoffeeBooze posted:

If you're doing sets of 12 you're somewhere in the 60-65% range so not much risk unless you let your form completely break down to poo poo.

You will pray for every vertebrae to shatter but will receive no such mercy.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Thor and Eddie boxing is so incredibly stupid and I hate that it is happening

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Come now, it can't be any less entertaining than Lowtax and Uwe Boll boxing.

I imagine it will be similar to the most infamous of UFC fights, Kimbo Slice vs Houston Alexander.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

CoffeeBooze posted:

If you are in the DFW area we should talk. I picked up a rower a few years ago and never used it much. Rowing is weird and I never could get into it like I did with running. Id happily give it away for a few plates.
I read DFW as David Foster Wallace so I'm gonna assume I'm not in the area.

B-Rock452 posted:

Thor and Eddie boxing is so incredibly stupid and I hate that it is happening
drat didn't realize it was actually happening. And the fights not for a year and half? AND Thor is skipping WSM? Well I guess he's got nothing left to prove and I can't blame him for wanting to get out of strongman before his body is completely destroyed, but yeah that sucks.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I read DFW as David Foster Wallace so I'm gonna assume I'm not in the area.

drat didn't realize it was actually happening. And the fights not for a year and half? AND Thor is skipping WSM? Well I guess he's got nothing left to prove and I can't blame him for wanting to get out of strongman before his body is completely destroyed, but yeah that sucks.

Dallas/Fort Worth

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Going to build a platform now I have enough weight to drop properly. Instead of buying stuff I'm going to use pieces of an old flat pack wardrobe I don't use any more for the solid bits, and maybe spare carpet for the squishy bits. Probably won't kill me.

Safer than going to B&Q either way.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

How heavy should I be going on bent over barbell rows? I've been adjusting the weight so I can do 8-10 reps before I really start to struggle and I'm wondering if I should be going heavier with fewer reps instead.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Upper body pulling should mostly be done in the 8-10 rep range or higher. I think it's good to experiment with heavier weights every once in a while, but that's definitely not something you should do all the time.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

nooneofconsequence posted:

Thors 501kg deadlift aired at 2am here where i live and i stayed up to watch it

The lift was so sick but then right after when he was like 'eddie i break ur record now im coming to break ur face' it completely ruined the whole loving thing

I thought thor was just gonna go it and leave eddie hall behind beimg a blubbering pissbaby but now both of them have just plummetted to absolute poo poo tier wankers in my eyes. So pathetic. He could have just let it go but i guess money talks even if it has bells palsy

Sad that he tried to redeem himself after sulking for losing his title to eddie by being such a good sport for martins licis but then just completely hosed it again with this bullshit

In other news i just bought a 202kg and 220kg 22" atlas stone so thats my goal for the next 12-24 months

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I am pretty sure the whole Eddie vs Thor thing is a coordinated effort between the two to make money.

Like get Hall in a "I trained to fight the mountain" shirt in the prefight interview.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
strongman is wwe now

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

eddie is the kaufman of strength

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Guyver posted:

I am pretty sure the whole Eddie vs Thor thing is a coordinated effort between the two to make money.

Yeah i'm sure youre right. It's still lame af.

Glad it'll open the way for confirmed coolguys Licis, Kieliszkowski and the Stoltmans to play and make strongman fun again.

I spent a good few days of lockdown watching WSM from the 80s right though until now and can verify it is some quality entertainment. Just lol at some of those events like the cheese hold.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I found one of these machines for cheap and they are actually real good, when you don’t have a gym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5q5glaykg

A pleasant surprise during the Plague days

Good for back and somewhat legs

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I did too many pull ups and jacked up my right elbow. Starting to feel better now but I’m still a few weeks out from doing anything with that arm. I need to get back out and start running again.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

bomb posted:

I need to get back out and start running again.

i just went for a run for the first time in 3 years like 10 minutes ago. god drat it felt good.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I broke my ribs about three weeks ago and decided to get back in the gym and do a light dumbbell whole body workout.

Do not recommend, holy poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Oh no, the two strongest giants in the world are going to fight. How loving AWESOME

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Though I do watch a lot of MMA and unless the fight is over in like 2 minutes it's probably going to just be two guys huffing air and sweating a lot and barely being able to move because they are so tired. That's just how big boy fights go

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

In WSM tradition it should be a sumo match.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Maybe they need to lose weight for their health and they need to also make money. Fighting is really cardio intensive. Very smart big bois

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Thor is like a foot taller. If he actually trains for 18 months Eddie shouldn't be able to touch him.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

My bench is stalling, thinking of applying Bulgarian style two-a-days.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

So this Plague is probably going to last a few more months before I feel comfortable back in the gym...

I’m seriously considering buying an Olympic bar, 4x45 plates, bench, couple of dumbbells, and a pull-up stand... I think that would cover most of the exercises needed.

Deadlift, Squats with Olympic bar+plates(with bench accessory maybe?)

Bench press with dumbbells (or possibly with Olympic bar if bench comes with a stand)

pull-up/chin-up

Assorted bicep/tricep/shoulder
/back work with dumbbells+bench, maybe one of those tiny gym seats

Since currently everything is overpriced, I’d be buying things incrementally...

Worst case (?) gyms open and there’s a treatment or vaccine (good times) and I just wasted my money, and keep going to the gym... Right? Weights last forever so I could probably resell if I must. I really miss deadlifting. Tried body weight workouts and they’re hard and all but it’s not the same.

Gyms are fun, the vibe helps train harder, and I prefer fancy machines for some things(tricep pulldowns, extremely specific muscles, etc), but I’d rather not risk getting or spreading the virus...

Anyway, late night musings during Pox days...

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

ultrafilter posted:

If you're a natural lifter looking to put on muscle as fast as possible, then either full body 3x/week or an upper/lower split 4x/week is far superior to a bro split. But if you're having fun with what you're doing and you're happy with the results you're getting, then what do you care?

Lifting is good for the soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm a natural lifter (most of the time :grin:) and I do 6 days a week. I just do a regular push pull legs schedule and try to always lift heavier. It's getting sort of impossible now that I seem to have reached my limits. Can't really put more weight on or do more reps