Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Dell_Zincht posted:

The best thing about it is it's so fruity and smooth you can barely taste the alcohol. It's dangerously drinkable.

Salt are a fairly new brewery, less than 2 years old I believe. We've got lots of microbreweries in the UK now putting out some fantastic stuff, Vocation, Northern and Magic Rock are all up there too.

Yes but they have Colin at the Helm. Colin has brewed at Marble, Black Isle, Buxton, and Northern Monk. He is a great brewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dell_Zincht posted:

The best thing about it is it's so fruity and smooth you can barely taste the alcohol. It's dangerously drinkable.

Salt are a fairly new brewery, less than 2 years old I believe. We've got lots of microbreweries in the UK now putting out some fantastic stuff, Vocation, Northern and Magic Rock are all up there too.

Sounds a lot like the Treehouse stuff I brought back from Massachusetts in January. Goes down way too easy for a 7-8% beer.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

dphi posted:

I've made four delivery orders from de Garde so far but I'm most excited about this one, just a sucker for their saisons.

Is that a gin & juice saison?! :snoop:

Been drinking a lot of Boneyard, Barley Brown's, and Grains of Wrath lately, which is to say some great dry, clean, and clear IPAs. GoW has really been killing it lately.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

obi_ant posted:

Realistically, how important is it to keep beers in the fridge? Mostly things like PAs, IPAs, pilsners. From the other bar that I go to all the time, Russian River requires you to keep the beer in the fridge, or they won't give you an account to sell their beers. Most other breweries frown upon not keeping the beer in the fridge.

But.. I recently found a liquor store that carries some decent beers and none of them are kept cold; good prices. Apparently, the owner just doesn't have the space for them. None of the beer is super fresh, most of the stuff is roughly 1 month old. Wondering how detrimental it would be to the flavor of the beer.

I've been keeping mine in my wine fridge, set at 54 F, which is the lowest it goes and seems to be a pretty good happy medium for reds & whites. So far it's managed to be the perfect temperature for pretty much any beer too.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

https://halftimebeverage.com/untappd-virtual-festival

Pulling the trigger on this :hellyeah:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kosher man posted:

Yes but they have Colin at the Helm. Colin has brewed at Marble, Black Isle, Buxton, and Northern Monk. He is a great brewer.

Thats a hell of a CV. Explains a lot.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Diamond waves was pretty good. A lager thats borderline sour. That isn't sour to be sour, just citrus-y from uhh all the god drat citrus fruit in it

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Just did the same, thanks for the heads up! :cheers:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I don't drink stouts a lot, but this is pretty good.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

I love stouts with ironic names. gently caress, I just love a good stout.

Speaking of, Vocation did a Breakfast Club 2.0 and it's even fruitier, I didn't think that was possible but there you go. Still 3 quid a can, too.

What are the best hazy beers that aren't massively hoppy? Want to try more DDH DIPAs but a bit wary of spending money on (what would be for me) drainpours.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 15, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

Woah woah wowie woow wow woah!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I got confused for a sec and thought that was by the excellent Garage Beer out of Barcelona

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My order arrived from Belgium, finally.
(Apparently the company normally ships within a week, and DPD delivers to the UK within a couple days, but I ordered this about a month ago, so the company must be really struggling under social distancing)

I've not had any of these breweries before I don't think, and the 10 Atrium ones came with an Atrium teku glass, which was nice.

mehall fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 15, 2020

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Dell_Zincht posted:

What are the best hazy beers that aren't massively hoppy? Want to try more DDH DIPAs but a bit wary of spending money on (what would be for me) drainpours.

This is like asking for a sour beer that isn't sour. Also really hard to answer without knowing where you're located.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

prayer group posted:

This is like asking for a sour beer that isn't sour.

Sour beers that aren't sour don't exist.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dell_Zincht posted:

IWhat are the best hazy beers that aren't massively hoppy?

:psyduck:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Dell_Zincht posted:

What are the best hazy beers that aren't massively hoppy?

witbier

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
^^^

Wheat beers are hazy i guess? Uhh a bluemoon dude.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Zwickels.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

^^^

Wheat beers are hazy i guess? Uhh a bluemoon dude.

Cigar City makes a blue moon clone called Florida Cracker and that's one of my favorite beer name puns (it's a white beer)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hmm does "hoppy" mean amount of hops (everyone's responding this way because p much every modern haze beer aggressively uses hops) or are you saying bitter flavor? But hazy beers are generally closer to juice/tropical flavor notes than bitter imo, so we gotta get more details on what you mean

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

mehall posted:

My order arrived from Belgium, finally.
(Apparently the company normally ships within a week, and DPD delivers to the UK within a couple days, but I ordered this about a month ago, so the company must be really struggling under social distancing)

I've not had any of these breweries before I don't think, and the 10 Atrium ones came with an Atrium teku glass, which was nice.

The only brewery I recognize are the Brussels Beer Project, who had a few bottles in my local (UK) shop a few years ago, and I found them to be very good.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Can anyone recommend me some strong ales that are not so strong? :)

For real though, maybe look into something like the pale ales from Suarez? They're lower ABV crisp hazy beers with present but restrained hops.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Buy an off the shelf ale and dilute it with distilled water to your preferred abv.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr. Squishy posted:

Buy an off the shelf ale and dilute it with distilled water to your preferred abv.

Quit stealing ideas from 450north

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Finally, a stout that speaks to who I am

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

danbanana posted:

Sour beers that aren't sour don't exist.

No but there's plenty of "Gose Style" beers that would tick that box.

https://untappd.com/b/commonwealth-brewing-company-havana/3766560

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Cigar City makes a blue moon clone called Florida Cracker and that's one of my favorite beer name puns (it's a white beer)

I think Coronado is distributed nation wide, but Coronado Brewery Orange Ave wit is a def summer slammer. That's how I got a few friends into craft beer. "Its like a bluemoon...but better!"

Control Volume posted:

Finally, a stout that speaks to who I am

Malty and pitch black?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

air- posted:

Hmm does "hoppy" mean amount of hops (everyone's responding this way because p much every modern haze beer aggressively uses hops) or are you saying bitter flavor? But hazy beers are generally closer to juice/tropical flavor notes than bitter imo, so we gotta get more details on what you mean

This was my question. A ton of people associate "hoppy" with "bitter" which isn't unfair given the trend of IPAs over the last what, 15 years? There are plenty of hazy IPAs that don't have that overwhelming bitter bite you might anticipate.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Picking up five different beers from my favorite brewery tonight. Two new (mango hazy IPA, coffee porter) and three mainstays (west coast IPA, hazy IPA, and brown ale).

Gonna be a good weekend.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No but there's plenty of "Gose Style" beers that would tick that box.

https://untappd.com/b/commonwealth-brewing-company-havana/3766560

My point was that "sour beer" isn't a style. It is a general flavor profile that can be present in many styles. It is often used as a misnomer for any beer with wild yeast, but wild ales are not always tart/sour.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Shooting Blanks posted:

This was my question. A ton of people associate "hoppy" with "bitter" which isn't unfair given the trend of IPAs over the last what, 15 years? There are plenty of hazy IPAs that don't have that overwhelming bitter bite you might anticipate.

Last 5 or so years. We're not even a decade past the Hop Wars that ruled "craft" beer until Citra broke though (and then the NZ/Aussie hops).

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Hidden springs as I've said many times in the thread is Not Good. I've been at some festivals where they had random one off stouts that were great but I've had quite a few others that were terrible and ZFG is basically replacement level by modern standards and is at least consistently what it is, their berliners are often atrocious.

They are also absolutely godawful at managing the lines for their dumb releases. At their last release they literally sold out with like 100 people or more in line that they had guaranteed would get bottles because they were too stupid to just drop the number of bottles people could get even after counting the line and saying "if you are here you will get bottles stay in line" to people who then wasted two more hours of their lives.

This is a recurring theme with Tampa/St Pete breweries, Cycle kept people waiting in the sun for hours last year during their Side Project collab release only to end up not having enough bottles for about thirty people who had waited several hours and spent upwards of a hundred dollars buying drafts while they waited in line. The reason? They were selling four per person of each of the three variants, and every shitlord was maxing out and selling them on Facebook while standing in line.

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 16, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

danbanana posted:

Last 5 or so years. We're not even a decade past the Hop Wars that ruled "craft" beer until Citra broke though (and then the NZ/Aussie hops).

I miss the drat Hop Wars

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Picking up five different beers from my favorite brewery tonight. Two new (mango hazy IPA, coffee porter) and three mainstays (west coast IPA, hazy IPA, and brown ale).

Gonna be a good weekend.

The coffee porter is unbelievable. I legit might go back for at least another 4-pack.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Yeah sorry everyone, I should have been a bit more clearer with my question.

I meant hazy beers that don't have that bitter hop taste like most IPAs these days. The Salt Ikat I posted is a perfect example, it's hazy and juicy and the bitterness is disguised even though there's a shitload of hops used in the brewing process.

I'm in the UK.

e -

Shooting Blanks posted:

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 16, 2020

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Spuckuk posted:

I got confused for a sec and thought that was by the excellent Garage Beer out of Barcelona

Nope, it was from the still-pretty-good Garage Project out of Wellington, NZ.

Just like this one, their Fresh IPA release for this month. It's, uh, pretty Hoppy. Lotta haze, lotta fruit.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Hidden springs as I've said many times in the thread is Not Good. I've been at some festivals where they had random one off stouts that were great but I've had quite a few others that were terrible and ZFG is basically replacement level by modern standards and is at least consistently what it is, their berliners are often atrocious.

They are also absolutely godawful at managing the lines for their dumb releases. At their last release they literally sold out with like 100 people or more in line that they had guaranteed would get bottles because they were too stupid to just drop the number of bottles people could get even after counting the line and saying "if you are here you will get bottles stay in line" to people who then wasted two more hours of their lives.

This is a recurring theme with Tampa/St Pete breweries, Cycle kept people waiting in the sun for hours last year during their Side Project collab release only to end up not having enough bottles for about thirty people who had waited several hours and spent upwards of a hundred dollars buying drafts while they waited in line. The reason? They were selling four per person of each of the three variants, and every shitlord was maxing out and selling them on Facebook while standing in line.

I do usually like their berliners for what they are but I have zero interest in drinking them in a bigger serving size than 5oz, the stouts are super hit or miss and generally not worth the hype.

the Cycle line was just super bad management, they saw the line and decided that they were still going to sell all 20 something bottles they had in stock instead of going "hey you can only buy today's release today until the line's gone" so the line went on for loving ever because of staff having to go in the back for random rear end old bottles. the limit is what it is, but I say that because I was one of the last 10 or so people to get the side project bottles. Not clear why those got hyped so much, they were pretty standard cycle vanilla stouts and the 5th anniversary vanilla stouts were better.

anyway el catador club 12 is gonna be ridiculous so gently caress all the line poo poo

deadwing fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 16, 2020

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Dell_Zincht posted:

I meant hazy beers that don't have that bitter hop taste like most IPAs these days.

If your question had come a few years earlier people would not have been perplexed. Most people here don't consider IPAs "these days" to be very bitter, as we've just gone through a pretty large shift away from bitterness with the introduction of "hazy" IPAs.

I'll try to answer your question; ironically most small/session IPAs will probably taste more bitter to you then a big one, because there's not as much sugar to balance. Look for "new england IPA / NEIPA" in the ~6 - 7% range. If they have a stated IBU (International Bitterness Unit) on them you want to go low, preferably under 45 or so. Some Blonde Ales might fit what you're looking for if you want something with less alcohol.

I don't really know what you can get your hands on, but the extra low-bitterness to no-bitterness hazy IPA is one trend within the larger trend downwards in IBUs. Stuff like Son Of Juice from Maplewood or IdontwanttoBU from The Veil respectively.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

thotsky posted:

If your question had come a few years earlier people would not have been perplexed. Most people here don't consider IPAs "these days" to be very bitter, as we've just gone through a pretty large shift away from bitterness with the introduction of "hazy" IPAs.

I'll try to answer your question; ironically most small/session IPAs will probably taste more bitter to you then a big one, because there's not as much sugar to balance. Look for "new england IPA / NEIPA" in the ~6 - 7% range. If they have a stated IBU (International Bitterness Unit) on them you want to go low, preferably under 45 or so. Some Blonde Ales might fit what you're looking for if you want something with less alcohol.

I don't really know what you can get your hands on, but the extra low-bitterness to no-bitterness hazy IPA is one trend within the larger trend downwards in IBUs. Stuff like Son Of Juice from Maplewood or IdontwanttoBU from The Veil respectively.

Thanks!