Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

How come when individuals are faced with a loss of income, the response is always a mix of "tighten your belts and learn to live on gruel instead of soy lattes and avocado toast you loving ungrateful softies", but when it's a business or organisation in the same situation, it's "all you people need to work for free now so that we can avoid making any cuts to the top, also quit your loving whining"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

What school is this?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Please work for free so we can pocket the money

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

cleaners $7.50/hour
TAs $12/hour
maintenance staff $10/hour
Chancellor $3,600/hour
IT techs $50/hour
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my TAs are having to work for free

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bike tory posted:

cleaners $7.50/hour
TAs $12/hour
Chancellor $3,600/hour
IT techs $50/hour
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my TAs are having to work for free

Make the cleaners also do IT work. Then you can pay your TAs their $12/hr wage and bring up Chancellor wages to a more-competitive $3638/hr. Good leadership is expensive.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bike tory posted:

cleaners $7.50/hour
TAs $12/hour
Chancellor $3,600/hour
IT techs $50/hour

Outsource IT, cleaners, and maintenance.

Freeze staff wages.

Profit!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

pentyne posted:

Outsource IT, cleaners, and maintenance.

Freeze staff wages.

Profit!

yes

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

What school is this?

Not sure exactly what school but it's in Australia where the government has stripped a tonne of money from uni's so they stay afloat by charging a lot for international students who, for obvious reasons, aren't really travelling to go to school right now. They also won't be coming back in great numbers because half our countries leadership are going full Chinese Bioweapon and that's causing a bit of poo poo to say the least.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

bike tory posted:

cleaners $7.50/hour
TAs $12/hour
Chancellor $3,600/hour
IT techs $50/hour

Fire the cleaners, TAs, maintenance staff, and IT techs, then add "Infection Mitigation", "Academic Mentoring", "Basic Engineering", and "Computer Operation" as mandatory courses for all majors, with associated course fees for materials.

Give the chancellor a raise for saving money in these difficult times.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
universities are losing a fortune not being able to sell $60 hoodies at the bookstore

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The bookstore at my uni closed down because it wasn't making a profit

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Shame Boy posted:

Ok but Neil Patrick Harris survives by being a very smart boy and therefore not having to be in any sort of danger at all ever so clearly they live in a meritocracy and the grunts who died should have done better in school and learned how to be psychic better :colbert:

I'm pretty sure he dies in the book. But he was also just an R&D mook, and Pluto got taken out or some such thing.

Also companies should all fire their CEOs en masse and then make their seconds or whatever the new CEOs to save money. It's pretty much how the federal government has been running for the last few years.

AvesPKS has issued a correction as of 03:10 on May 15, 2020

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

bike tory posted:

cleaners $7.50/hour
TAs $12/hour
Chancellor $3,600/hour
IT techs $50/hour

-Fire the cleaners. Roni 19 is clearly a myth. I'll still be working from home because of "reasons", but those cleaners have nothing to be afraid of and deserve to lose their jobs for being such pussies.

-Fire the maintenance staff. Why the gently caress do we even have maintenance staff? We provide the students the privilege of "work experience" by doing any/all maintenance via paying us tuition.

- Eye.....tee.....techs? Do they help with my golf swing or something? If you're referring to computer toucher servants, get rid of em as our computer servers will never ever go dow.....

Tee Aids? Get rid of this pestilence unless they'll help improve my golf game. gently caress having to bend over to put the ball on the tee at the beginning of every hole.

I feel bad for the Chancellor. Always puts in so much hard work looking at the emails all day. Heard his 7 year old boy wants a golf cart for Christmas but the tuitions not going BURR might interfere with that. Think we gotta do something to make that poor boy's dream come true.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Not sure exactly what school but it's in Australia where the government has stripped a tonne of money from uni's so they stay afloat by charging a lot for international students who, for obvious reasons, aren't really travelling to go to school right now. They also won't be coming back in great numbers because half our countries leadership are going full Chinese Bioweapon and that's causing a bit of poo poo to say the least.

As someone who quit a full time permanent government job to take a contract uni job ~6 months ago... :geno:

I also really want to know what uni that is. CQU? Tassie?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hollandia posted:

As someone who quit a full time permanent government job to take a contract uni job ~6 months ago... :geno:

I also really want to know what uni that is. CQU? Tassie?

Turns out it's RMIT. Hope you're not working there because :rip: if so.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lmao, the guy who first started talking about action to stop the volunteer work was a front for SAlt donations. Donations coming through them and being used to fight it may well have been how it played out but telling people to donate for this specific cause and then getting a receipt from the SAlties is not how to do it.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Inceltown posted:

I don't agree with the causality - The universities got themselves heavily addicted to the amount of $ they could bring in from full fee-paying international students and pivoted to cater heavily towards them, I think it'd be wrong to say they were driven to it.
The cuts just happened during the same period, and leave them extra hosed with the limitless-International-$ hose dried up.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Every day I wonder more and more why nobody's plastered this worthless parasite's guts across the walls given this naughty boy a smack on the bum-bum yet.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Peanut Butter posted:

Every day I wonder more and more why nobody's plastered this worthless parasite's guts across the walls given this naughty boy a smack on the bum-bum yet.

Fun fact it takes 100psi to break the human skin and the bite of a large wolf is 1200psi.

Not sure why I felt the need to post that in reply to yours but it's there now.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Inceltown posted:

Fun fact it takes 100psi to break the human skin and the bite of a large wolf is 1200psi.

Not sure why I felt the need to post that in reply to yours but it's there now.

how much does it take to crack ping

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Shame Boy posted:

Ok but Neil Patrick Harris survives by being a very smart boy and therefore not having to be in any sort of danger at all ever so clearly they live in a meritocracy and the grunts who died should have done better in school and learned how to be psychic better :colbert:

I haven't read the book and I haven't watched the movie in like 80 years but was his character actually psychic or was the entire psychic division of the space army just a grift because I feel like you don't need a mind reader to tell you that the giant nearly-immobile all-brain bug surrounded by gun dudes and the corpses of his buddies is scared

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

blatman posted:

I haven't read the book and I haven't watched the movie in like 80 years but was his character actually psychic or was the entire psychic division of the space army just a grift because I feel like you don't need a mind reader to tell you that the giant nearly-immobile all-brain bug surrounded by gun dudes and the corpses of his buddies is scared

He told his ferret to "go get mom" and it did

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

He told his ferret to "go get mom" and it did

Yeah at the beginning of the movie it's clearly shown that he's some kind of special smart psychic wonder boy, though whether or not that's actually what he's useful for is up to interpretation I guess.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I hope he's actually just really good at psychically convincing people that he'd be a good army psychic but his talents only extend far enough to convince his superiors to promote him over and over

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

He's an intelligence officer in a gestapo coat, the whole mindpowers thing might just be a psyops propaganda effort. I believe it as much as I believe that the bugs bombed Buenos Aeris.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krowley posted:

He's an intelligence officer in a gestapo coat, the whole mindpowers thing might just be a psyops propaganda effort. I believe it as much as I believe that the bugs bombed Buenos Aeris.

That sounds like traitor talk to me

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

blatman posted:

There's kind of an implication he was sending psychic orders to Rico

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Krowley posted:

They didn't even bomb it, they dropped an asteroid on it. Came all the way from Klendathu without any usable munitions? Buenos Aires was absolutely an inside job.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't one of the characters say the asteroid should have been seen by their solar system perimeter bases, which strongly indicates an inside job?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
bush had the goddamn bugs whack us johnny

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Krowley posted:

Actually it was Buenos Aerith in the original

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I always saw him as this Ender Wiggins type dude who Game Theoried himself up to being a colonel in just a year of training.

That universe definitely had psychic people though. The third movie had Job from Arrested Development as this Singing Psychic Sky Marshal and Johnny Rico is stuck doing Batman voice the whole time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I always saw him as this Ender Wiggins type dude who Game Theoried himself up to being a colonel in just a year of training.

That universe definitely had psychic people though. The third movie had Job from Arrested Development as this Singing Psychic Sky Marshal and Johnny Rico is stuck doing Batman voice the whole time.
In the book, the skinnies were definitely psychic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thanatosian posted:

One of the first bits of the book is Rico's unit bodyguarding a psychic. Rico wonders if there might be some other explanation for the psychic's abilities, like some kind of hypersensitive senses, before deciding it doesn't matter.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

The book, the Verhoeven movies and the sequels are three different things. Iirc, no one on the Verhoeven movie production team actually read the book

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krowley posted:

I think you mean Buenos Aerit-

Weatherman posted:

Actually it was Buenos Aerith in the original

gently caress :argh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krowley posted:

The book, the Verhoeven movies and the sequels are three different things. Iirc, no one on the Verhoeven movie production team actually read the book

The story I heard was that Verhoeven read the book and was like "haha wow that's fash as heck" and then made a movie that made fun of it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like matt christman's take, that the film starship troopers is intended to be viewed as an example of a film produced within that fascist society

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like matt christman's take, that the film starship troopers is intended to be viewed as an example of a film produced within that fascist society

Yeah that's always how I took it. It's their propagandized version of the events on Klendathu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

PostNouveau posted:

Doesn't one of the characters say the asteroid should have been seen by their solar system perimeter bases, which strongly indicates an inside job?

I think it's supposed to be more like Pearl Harbor where they knew it was coming and just let it happen so they'd have an excuse to go into full war mode

iirc they basically say at the beginning that the bugs are attacking us because we're taking their planets from them