Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FCKGW posted:

Gonna return the i5 Air I got last week and get the base Macbook Pro for the wife.

Her school needs are 95% suited by the Air but that 5% is playing The Sims and while on paper the Air has a better GPU it doesn't run nearly as good as it should.

It's also being widely mentioned on the MBA forums on MacRumors that the 2020 i3 Air has a bad time with 4K videos and multiuser Zoom chats.

(The i5 quad core Air seems to be ok with 4K playback.)

The Sims, while not being a fast action shootemup, does run in 3D and so needs a medium quality GPU and a decent thermal envelope to go with it.. and you're not really gonna get that on a 2020 Air.

If she were playing a simple game that only needed to do bitmap animation like chess or cards, it would probably handle it fine.

FWIW, even the 2020 13-inch rMBP is not great for fast action games like Fortnite, but older games like League of Legends do okay.

The 13-inch / coming 14-inch rMBPs probably aren't EVER going to get good GPUs unless Apple carries over the GPU SoC in the rumored Apple ARM based Macs.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

It's also being widely mentioned on the MBA forums on MacRumors that the 2020 Air has a bad time with 4K videos and multiuser Zoom chats.

The Sims, while not being a fast action shootemup, does run in 3D and so needs a medium quality GPU and a decent thermal envelope to go with it.. and you're not really gonna get that on a 2020 Air.

If she were playing a simple game that only needed to do bitmap animation like chess or cards, it would probably handle it fine.

FWIW, even the 2020 13-inch rMBP is not great for fast action games like Fortnite, but older games like League of Legends do okay.

The 13-inch / coming 14-inch rMBPs probably aren't EVER going to get good GPUs unless Apple carries over the GPU SoC in the rumored Apple ARM based Macs.

Bruh if the M3 chip includes a “Metal coprocessor” of some sort........nothings gonna happen because the games that get ported to Mac will either not use it or be iOS games or be trash.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm using Tampermonkey right now. Latest Safari. Latest macOS.

What the Hell, the last time I updated Safari (mid September last year) it removed it completely.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is that around the time they changed how Safari plugins needed to be coded? Could just be that Tampermonkey hadn’t updated to be compliant at that time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, I found Tampermonkey on the extension store and bought it in a heartbeat. I have Facebook Unsponsored and Classic Youtube again! :neckbeard:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Bruh if the M3 chip includes a “Metal coprocessor” of some sort........nothings gonna happen because the games that get ported to Mac will either not use it or be iOS games or be trash.

Huh? Last Mac that had an M3 was the 2017 Retina MacBook.. you mean the i3? A13X? Can't parse this statement.

It'll cost nothing at all for Apple to keep the GPU in the A1Xx chipset, and it'll provide iOS device quality 3D animation good enough for Fortnite.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

Huh? Last Mac that had an M3 was the 2017 Retina MacBook.. you mean the i3? A13X? Can't parse this statement.

It'll cost nothing at all for Apple to keep the GPU in the A1Xx chipset, and it'll provide iOS device quality 3D animation good enough for Fortnite.

I’m making a riff on the T2 chip. It’s supposed to say T3...but for whatever reason that got autocorrected to M3. So maybe an A14 variant?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

eames posted:

I'd just keep the Air and pay for one of the game streaming services.

GeForce Now is honestly spooky good if you have reliable internet. It actually, somehow, works well for FPSes, at least if you're a mid-tier scrub like me.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 14, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Speaking of iStats Menu its on sale along with a bunch of other stuff.

https://bundlehunt.com/?ap_id=ap_id

iStat Menus
$6 (was $11.99)
Monitor your system right from the menubar with huge range of stats, including a CPU monitor, GPU, memory, network usage, disk usage, disk activity, date & time, battery and more.

PopChar X
$8 (was $33)
PopChar helps you get the most out of your font collection. With its crystal-clear interface, PopChar provides a frustration-free way to access any font's special characters.

A Better Finder Rename
$11.5 (was $22.95)
A Better Finder Rename is the most complete renaming solution available on the market today.

Flux 7.0
$7 (was $99.99)
Flux is an incredible Web Design Environment. Work in code and drag & drop. No compromises.

WALTR 2 for Mac
$5 (was $39.95)
A Magic drop area for your Apple device any Music, Ringtones, Videos, PDF & ePUB files onto your iPhone, iPad or iPod without iTunes.
Hey thanks for posting this, I bought a few of these.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eames posted:

I'd just keep the Air and pay for one of the game streaming services.

She literally only plays The Sims 4 (with all the expansion packs) and nothing else. Last time I checked EA wasn't streaming that game anywhere.

She's also trying to convince me to keep the Air for myself now. It would be a nice compliment to my 11 year old Mac Pro :thunk:

edit: I guess you can play The Sims 4 on vortex.gg for $10/mo

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 14, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

FCKGW posted:

She's also trying to convince me to keep the Air for myself now. It would be a nice compliment to my 11 year old Mac Pro :thunk:

Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum..

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m making a riff on the T2 chip. It’s supposed to say T3...but for whatever reason that got autocorrected to M3. So maybe an A14 variant?

Why would they move up to a T3? It's already doing multiple jobs.. disk controller.. numeric coprocessor for doing certain specific HEVC transcoding.. security chip.. on-the-fly encrypting and decrypting for FileVault.. Hey Siri..

If Apple were smart they'd leave the GPU in SoC format for the laptops and desktops, they've got the T2 doing so much it couldn't possibly do all that AND meet the demands of a GPU unit.

To me, they're just gonna leave the basic A1Xx design as it is, they wouldn't strip it down for desktops and laptops; if anything it'd need maybe even more stuff to provide desktop-class performance, especially for the GPU.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, I found Tampermonkey on the extension store and bought it in a heartbeat. I have Facebook Unsponsored and Classic Youtube again! :neckbeard:

This owns. I'll gladly pay $2 for Tampermonkey again!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's also good for running that script that shrinks down huge MP4s on SA, and Facebook Purity which lets you get rid of annoying poo poo Facebook likes to throw in your face.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How is a 2020 Macbook Air having difficulty with Zoom

My 2014 13" doesn't even show notable CPU elevation when I'm doing a Zoom call, I can still smoothly run Pycharm and Google Earth at the same time as the meeting :psyduck:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 15, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah no idea there, my 2013 iMac seemed to handle it fine. There have been some server woes on Zoom's end I think lately. My boss and a couple colleagues had to leave and find a "new room" because the lag was so awful for one of us.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Data Graham posted:

How is a 2020 Macbook Air having difficulty with Zoom

My 2014 13" doesn't even show notable CPU elevation when I'm doing a Zoom call, I can still smoothly run Pycharm and Google Earth at the same time as the meeting :psyduck:

Yup, I have a 2013 15" MBP and it has no issues with Zoom. Maybe slightly warm and some fan spin up if I'm running other applications, but the video quality is flawless. I can't believe a 2020 MBA has noticeable problems when the CPU has to be faster and significantly more thermally efficient with far quicker SSD, RAM, etc.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 15, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Zoom is a huge loving turd, but it works fine on my 2015 15" rMBP Pimp Edition with the discrete graphics card, even with multiple users while multitasking. The reports of it being slow on new MBAs surprise me. This thing can't even run Half-Life 2 at decent speeds.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Once I re-pasted my 13-inch rMBP 2015, it got fairly quiet while handling a typical 6-12 multiuser Zoom chat (I can still detect them spinning up though), but I do remember that before I repasted, the fans got the loudest when I joined a multiuser chat where everyone had discovered mp4 video backgrounds.

The 2015 rMBP Pimp Edition has a Radeon R9 M370X with 2 GB of dedicated VRAM. I wonder if that has anything to do with Kotex's freedom from Zoom problems.. If Cough Drop's rMBP is a Pimp Edition as well, then it's either got 1 GB of dedicated VRAM (Early 2013) or 2 GB (Early 2015.)

Anyone with a 13-inch rMBP gets the integrated Intel Iris GPU, the standard 'up to 1.5 GB of RAM shared with main memory,' which is dynamically allocated as needed. That means the amount of streams you're watching in Zoom can affect available RAM. If you only have 8 GB of RAM, that could be a factor..

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My 2013 15" MBP has Iris Pro onboard graphics, no discrete GPU. But I don't think it should make a difference for videoconferencing of all things... but Zoom is a poorly designed resource hog.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just wanted to post a trip report of my 2020MBP.

I was a guy who had a i5 16gb MBA.

I had issues in Logic. Zoom ran my computer up to 99c. FCP was miserable.

Anyway, I have the 2020MBP ($1799( model and it's been great. I know this wasn't a thrilling upgrade, but it's nice to have a model sometimes where all the bugs have gotten worked out and you're upgrading the specs. I feel like I got the right MBP before it gets redesigned (??) next year.

Anyway - I love it. Glad I traded my air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Captain Apollo posted:

Anyway - I love it. Glad I traded my air.

Was your Air a 2020?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Bob Morales posted:

Was your Air a 2020?

Yes.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

FCKGW posted:

She literally only plays The Sims 4 (with all the expansion packs) and nothing else. Last time I checked EA wasn't streaming that game anywhere.

edit: I guess you can play The Sims 4 on vortex.gg for $10/mo

If it helps, Sims 4 runs on my wife’s 2014 13” MBP. I think she plays it on low settings and a lower resolution than native, but it has a stable frame rate.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
As a not really a counterpoint but just like kinda a parallel point to the above I will state that I remain delighted with my 2020 Air, probably exactly because I don't use it to run Final Cut and Logic and Zoom. I continue to find that even with a bunch of apps all vaguely backgrounding and like twenty tabs in Safari and some downloads running it does get a little warm but also keeps silent. The only time I've ever heard the fans go wild was during my initial import into Music and when I tried 4K video in chrome.

In other news I've finally (somehow) managed to land a single tiny scratch on the edge of the monitor casing, so that's going to bother me incessantly for the next five or so years.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Maybe The Sims 4 is more GPU reliant, but my sister used to play The Sims 3 on her 2014 MBA with zero issues all the time so I find it weird that a historically low resource usage game series won't run on a much more powerful 2020 MBA. :shrug:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Was it 4 or 8 GB?

Sims 3 system requirements are 2 GB RAM and apparently any MacBook Air including the first gen one with an Intel GMA X3100. Also has to be a Core Duo with 128 MB VRAM.

Sims 4 confusingly cites it needs at least El Capitan, a nVidia 9600M, and 4 GB RAM, and 256 MB VRAM.

It also claims it needs Metal, but Metal support wasn't baked into macOS until 10.14..

So it needs a CoreGraphics compatible GPU, which pretty much means a MacBook Air of at least 2011 vintage.

The Sims 4 requirements also recommend 8 GB of RAM and oddly enough a core i5 for best performance, this was probably written up when i5s were the new hotness.

The 2014 MBAs have Intel HD 5000 GPUs which meet the requirements handily, and a slower processor than the 2020s.

Is the 7W processor on the 2020 throttling itself to the point it's actually running slower on average than an older Air?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My sister's old 2014 MBA almost certainly had 4GB of RAM.

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Is the 7W processor on the 2020 throttling itself to the point it's actually running slower on average than an older Air?

It wouldn't surprise me. These devices just aren't built for high combined CPU and GPU load.
For example my old 2013 15" MBP ran some taxing 3D games faster with the GT750m dGPU disabled, simply because the heat output of the GPU under full load made the CPU thermal throttle below baseclock, to the point where it became the framerate bottleneck. It took them until the 16" to address these issues.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, notebookcheck.net says that when stressing the i5 CPU and GPU on the 2020 Air simultaneously, effective throughput clocks down to a ridiculous 400 MHz.

Incredulously, the base i3 manages to maintain an effective speed of 1.5 GHz under the same stress.

Notebookcheck.net goes so far as to say the 2020 Airs are using purposely 'crippled' (probably even harsher language in the original German) processors as opposed to offerings such as the Surface 3 and newest Dell XPS 13s. Yeah, 7W vs. 15W processors, but it seems Apple wants to stress battery life above all else.

Also, they seem to feel that Apple didn't bother with making the Air any better than it is because they're about to jump them all to ARM CPUs which are going to run rings around the Intel offerings in power savings and speed anyway. So, I guess blame Intel for offering a lovely chip and Apple for choosing it over the 15Ws?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hoo-kay, it's not the new Airport, but it is interesting..

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/05/15/apple-files-regulatory-docs-for-mysterious-internal-network-adapter

Definitely not speedy considering it's only 1 GHz bandwidth..

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, notebookcheck.net says that when stressing the i5 CPU and GPU on the 2020 Air simultaneously, effective throughput clocks down to a ridiculous 400 MHz.

Incredulously, the base i3 manages to maintain an effective speed of 1.5 GHz under the same stress.

This was precisely what I was asking about when I brought this up prior to buying mine, but got dogpiled for it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

The 2020 Air has a 9 watt i3 or a 10 watt i5/i7, actually.

i3 1000ng4
i5 1030ng7

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Am I so out of touch or are the children wrong?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Shaocaholica posted:

That's very overpriced IMO. Something like that would probably go for half that price on eBay. IME older Macbooks on Craigslist are usually hilariously overpriced.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

He's rounding up 2.8 GHz to 3.0 GHz, and it was originally $1800 with 512 GB SSD.

Definitely overpriced, even MacOfAllTrades has this same model, same options for only $850.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just buy from a reputable refurbisher on eBay for like $600. There's a few good shops that refresh stock pretty regularly. Don't buy Apple products on Craigslist.

This one names all of the MacBooks which is pretty amusing. https://www.ebay.com/sch/maritimemacs/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

American McGay fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 15, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol. That's some strong Boomer energy bragging about their super special perfect Macbook Pro that isn't 15" or a more desirable early 2015 model. :laffo:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

American McGay posted:

Just buy from a reputable refurbisher on eBay for like $600. There's a few good shops that refresh stock pretty regularly. Don't buy Apple products on Craigslist.

This one names all of the MacBooks which is pretty amusing. https://www.ebay.com/sch/maritimemacs/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Oh don't worry about me. I'm the guy that picked up a craigslist 2014 15" i7 16GB 500G for $380 but that was a moon shot. It was cheap because it was missing a foot :smuggo:

Maybe I'll lowball this guy $300 and see what he says.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Maybe The Sims 4 is more GPU reliant, but my sister used to play The Sims 3 on her 2014 MBA with zero issues all the time so I find it weird that a historically low resource usage game series won't run on a much more powerful 2020 MBA. :shrug:

I never said it didn't run, I saw her playing it and it looked to be running just fine to me. Fans were ramping up but that's to be expected of something like that.
She said it ran a little worse than her Ryzen 5 laptop I got her last year but who knows. I feel better her having the Pro for her next 4 years+ of school anyways.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

16GB....I could see it selling for $650 if it was a 2015

Some dumb fucker would probably pay $850 for it on eBay.