Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I for one can't wait for the adventures of Captain Mitt Romney as written by Alex Kurtzman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drone posted:

About 15% of Picard is worth it and is quite good.

Unfortunately it's modern storytelling so that 15% of actually good content requires you to wade through the 85% of poo poo in order to be able to make heads or tails of it.

Is it better or worse at this than Stargate Universe, because we're about 7 episodes into this and it feels like about 3 episodes worth of actual content, with the rest of it taken up by incompetent people sniping at each other while the whole production is being carried by Robert Carlyle.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Is it better or worse at this than Stargate Universe, because we're about 7 episodes into this and it feels like about 3 episodes worth of actual content, with the rest of it taken up by incompetent people sniping at each other while the whole production is being carried by Robert Carlyle.

I've seen maybe 3 episodes of any Stargate product period so I'm not the best person to qualify it.

That being said, if we're ranking prominent non-Trek sci-fi of the 80s/90s/00s:

Babylon 5
Quantum Leap

Farscape

Battlestar Galactica reboot

Those 3 episodes of random British Columbia forest Stargate SG-1 that I saw

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
People bag on the ~forests of British Columbia~ thing with Stargate SG-1 but I feel like the infirmary crops up at least as often.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Zurui posted:

In all my watches of Deep Space 9 I never noticed the giant fish-thing skeleton on the second floor of the promenade.

:same: (note the appropriateness of this emote)

Unfortunately I can't find any decent pics of it. Which episode were you watching?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Operation-Annihilate- Come for the flying pancakes, stay for Shatner playing Kirk’s dead brother with a bad fake wig and mustache in a quick shot

Well holy poo poo. That's a loving hoot.

Edit - to save people a search:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/George_Samuel_Kirk

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 15, 2020

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I agree with that ranking, while still having enjoyed the vast majority of both SG-1 and Atlantis when seeing them for the first time just recently. The tonal shift to SGU gave me a bit of whiplash, but I was prepared for it and I knew Robert Carlyle would be worth watching if nothing else, so I'm still doing ok with it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Oof that's a great comparison. I would say it's about on par with Stargate Universe. Perhaps less interesting story ideas but similarly over-produced and under-written.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Pascallion posted:

I mean, at least it’s not Kurtzman?

*sigh*

it is, he's listed with a story credit in that news release and is going to be an executive producer on it.

so expect more of the same from discovery and picard, it'll be more of the same :shrug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drone posted:

That being said, if we're ranking prominent non-Trek sci-fi of the 80s/90s/00s:

Babylon 5
Quantum Leap

Farscape

Battlestar Galactica reboot

I would say

X-Files

Farscape/Stargate SG-1 (hard to pick a favorite because they're very different shows)

Babylon 5

Galaxy Quest

Quantum Leap

Battlestar Galactica

Twin Peaks (know some people will be mad about this but it goes downhill so fast)

Space: Above and Beyond

Lexx

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:same: (note the appropriateness of this emote)

Unfortunately I can't find any decent pics of it. Which episode were you watching?

There is a pretty clear view of it in "Vortex."

Watching that, I also noticed how they were setting up little bits of changeling/Founder mythology even as early as season 1. There are some rough bits of season 1 but in general it's easily the most consistently interesting of first season of any Trek series. "Move Along Home" is less of an issue for Allamarain and more for the interminable climactic sequence in the cave.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've seen exactly one episode of Discovery (the first - it didn't grab me), and picked up the basics of the first season through thread osmosis - mirror universe, etc. Would I have missed out on anything important/worthwhile if I skipped to the start of season 2 just to see the Enterprise and Pike?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Not at all. In fact, if you're skeptical about the first season I'd highly recommend it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Payndz posted:

I've seen exactly one episode of Discovery (the first - it didn't grab me), and picked up the basics of the first season through thread osmosis - mirror universe, etc. Would I have missed out on anything important/worthwhile if I skipped to the start of season 2 just to see the Enterprise and Pike?

If your goal is solely to get caught up on Pike/Number One/Spock in prep for Strange New Worlds, just skip right to season 2.

Really, you get all you need of Pike from "New Eden" and "If Memory Serves", and Spock and Number One are best served by the Short Trek "Q&A"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lexx transcends ranking. Even under today's context where Blood Drive aired on Syfy, it's insane that Lexx existed. Every scifi fan should watch the whole series (including the showtime seasons) at least once.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 15, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Counterpoint: no

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There are whole seasons of Lexx that have more coherent storytelling/themes than anything Trek has done in a decade

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tighclops posted:

There are whole seasons of Lexx that have more coherent storytelling/themes than anything Trek has done in a decade

Jesus Christ Tighclops, we get it, you have a hateboner for everything produced post-2000. Can you shut the gently caress up about it?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

Jesus Christ Tighclops, we get it, you have a hateboner for everything produced post-2000. Can you shut the gently caress up about it?

To anybody that takes it personally when someone throws shade at some dumb trash that you like: the ignore function is cool and your friend

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think that's too mean. Shades of Grey is more fun than an episode of Lexx.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

I think that's too mean. Shades of Grey is more fun than an episode of Lexx.

This is impossible since one of the Lexx tv movies features Rutger Hauer

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tighclops posted:

To anybody that takes it personally when someone throws shade at some dumb trash that you like: the ignore function is cool and your friend

*Stinks up threads with hundreds of pissy posts about a TV show nobody is forcing him to watch* "Hey, don't get mad, bro, you can just turn me off!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s an earlier line by Kirk where he says ‘we like the one God just fine thank you’ as well.

I can't find a real source for this, but I've heard theories that the line was very carefully worded to get around censors. The exact quote: "Mankind has no need for gods; we find the one quite adequate." It's kind of ambiguous because it's not really clear what he means by "the one".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tighclops posted:

This is impossible since one of the Lexx tv movies features Rutger Hauer

No. You are wrong.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

No. You are wrong.

not true, he was demonstrably in the damned thing!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

*Stinks up threads with hundreds of pissy posts about a TV show nobody is forcing him to watch* "Hey, don't get mad, bro, you can just turn me off!"

You don't like what I say? Report my posts, or ignore me or actually go work for CBS if you're going to have that attitude. If you want a hug box I can't help you and I think you're in the wrong place.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Imagine realizing you can ignore a poster, but not realizing you can ignore a TV show.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Imagine posting about Star Trek on these forums because it's fun to post about that here even if one doesn't always have positive opinions about it

Is Trek BBS leaking today or something

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shades of grey is pretty hilarious.

"This virus seems to respond to emotion! Ok let's try happy memories"

"It's getting worse!"

"Maybe Horny ones?"

"He's flatlining!"

"Quick give him 500ccs of sad memories"

"Showing some improvement"

""Let's make him remember everytime he got his fuckin rear end kicked"

"He's cured!"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tighclops posted:

Does TrekBBS still exist?

God I feel old.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tighclops posted:

Imagine posting about Star Trek on these forums because it's fun to post about that here even if one doesn't always have positive opinions about it

Okay, I'll bite.

My issue with your posts isn't that they're negative, it's that they don't contribute anything to the conversation. All you do is poo poo on the newer shows. You don't provide anything to bounce off and discuss, you aren't interested in how they might improve in the future. If I had a gun to my head I couldn't tell someone what Tighclops wants out of a new show other than "something exactly like TNG, maybe?" There are other posters in this thread who aren't a fan of Discovery or Picard, but they chime in with posts about great (or lovely) classic episodes or encourage our new viewers.

So cut it out with the troll "this is really your problem, not mine" bullshit. No one is making you post about new shows, you just seem to be offended that you have to read about their existence.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What I want to know is why they used gross gelatin noodles for the dinner scene in start twerk six when they could have used rice noodles and food coloring???

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops posted:

You don't like what I say? Report my posts, or ignore me or actually go work for CBS if you're going to have that attitude. If you want a hug box I can't help you and I think you're in the wrong place.

It has gotten really annoying, (not to mention old af), but I don't want to ignore you because you also make posts worth reading. Imo the primary reason you should stfu already isn't the incessant bashing, it's the lack of content. Perhaps you remember reading this once or twice:

quote:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

Also...

quote:

Before you reply: Before replying, please ask yourself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?"

Yeah. Your bashing posts are batting .000

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm tentatively hopeful Strange New Worlds will be more episodic but I'm sure they'll manage to sneak in some bullshit mystery box. Oh! Maybe they can hint that Sarek had a secret child and reveal it to be another :spock: sibling and somehow gently caress it up to not be Sybok.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Operation-Annihilate- Come for the flying pancakes, stay for Shatner playing Kirk’s dead brother with a bad fake wig and mustache in a quick shot

Well holy poo poo. That's a loving hoot.

Edit - to save people a search:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/George_Samuel_Kirk

I'm still just flabbergasted that JJ thought people couldn't handle Jim Kirk yelling "Hey George!" to some random kid on the street since they cut the scene that established he had a brother named George. For anyone not familiar they would have thought it was just a friend of Jim's and for people who post in threads like this we would have understood that reference

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Humerus posted:

Oh! Maybe they can hint that Sarek had a secret child and reveal it to be another :spock: sibling and somehow gently caress it up to not be Sybok.

Ooooh. Done right, a Sybok episode could be tons of fun (and please just an episode, not an arc). Before you say :ughh:, remember this would just be "gently caress Surak" Sybok and not "share your pain" Sybok.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

So I was wikiholing on memory alpha and found this:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Risa_Hedony

quote:

In the alternate February 2259, Starfleet was tracking the movement of Risa Hedony representatives in the San Francisco Metropolitan Area. Their current position was aided by a label superimposed over a map of the area. This map was in a collection of graphics and video media that was seen on a powerwall in the office of Admiral Christopher Pike at Starfleet Headquarters. (Star Trek Into Darkness)

I don't remember this at all (well ok I don't remember the movie at all). Anyone remember why they were being tracked?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Humerus posted:

I'm tentatively hopeful Strange New Worlds will be more episodic but I'm sure they'll manage to sneak in some bullshit mystery box.

In the announcement video, Anson Mount made a clear call for SNW to be optimistic and exploration-oriented and "New Eden" was pretty much a bog standard Trek episode and definitely his best - so there is some room for hope.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lol speaking of Sybok, I looked him up and

quote:

Sybok was the firstborn son of the Vulcan ambassador Sarek and a Vulcan princess in the 23rd century, and was the elder half-brother of Starfleet officer Spock. 

A princess, huh? Guess he really was pretty open-minded.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

So I was wikiholing on memory alpha and found this:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Risa_Hedony

I don't remember this at all (well ok I don't remember the movie at all). Anyone remember why they were being tracked?

It must have just been a background easter egg. That admiral guy was a paranoid military industrial complex nut.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

Okay, I'll bite.

My issue with your posts isn't that they're negative, it's that they don't contribute anything to the conversation. All you do is poo poo on the newer shows. You don't provide anything to bounce off and discuss, you aren't interested in how they might improve in the future. If I had a gun to my head I couldn't tell someone what Tighclops wants out of a new show other than "something exactly like TNG, maybe?" There are other posters in this thread who aren't a fan of Discovery or Picard, but they chime in with posts about great (or lovely) classic episodes or encourage our new viewers.

So cut it out with the troll "this is really your problem, not mine" bullshit. No one is making you post about new shows, you just seem to be offended that you have to read about their existence.

I've posted plenty of times about how much I like Anson Mount, I was honestly onboard with Picard Show for at least the first few episodes before it went completely off the rails and I've posted about the characters there that I liked and why I felt they were working, I've even talked about enjoying Beyond as a decent Trek story. I've posted *endlessly* about the kinds of stories I feel Star Trek should be telling these days(and have told in the past, I don't know how many times I've talked about Past Tense) that would genuinely make it relevant and compelling, and the kinds of ideas and principals it should at least be striving to depict. I've often pointed to other contemporary shows that do these things better, and I enjoy talking about where modern Trek has fallen pitifully (often confusingly) short because these issues are related and because the way in which this stuff is currently bad to me is more interesting than the stories/characters/setting themselves now.

And other times I just make fun of it because I think it's stupid. Yeah.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It has gotten really annoying, (not to mention old af), but I don't want to ignore you because you also make posts worth reading. Imo the primary reason you should stfu already isn't the incessant bashing, it's the lack of content. Perhaps you remember reading this once or twice:

Once again, for the last time and with apologies to all because by now I am making GBS threads up the thread: If you take issue with my making negative comments about our favourite brand, then ignore them the way you've evidently been ignoring whatever positive remarks I have about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

I mentioned a while back that I'm in the middle of a Dark Shadows binge-watch and that Mitchell Ryan (who plays the first Burke Devlin) would go on the play Commander Riker's father, Kyle Riker, on TNG.

I have now discovered the origin of the Riker leg-over manuever:

That's way more impressive with that full-height chair than with TNG's weird extra-short ones.