Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Declan MacManus posted:

otoh we already had one sexual revolution and zero workers revolutions in the past 50 years so if i have to bet one one happening,

the "sexual revolution" (there have been a number of periods where this term is thought to apply, including post-HIV) has a complicated legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Pick posted:

communism would have to mandate people took turns/shifts doing necessary crap work like canning corn or corn won't get canned. it would not need to mandate people have sex because people do that voluntarily for its own sake.

I think my problem here is that you're assuming prostitution is created by capitalism and isn't merely controlled by it. In any society sex will have some hypothetical exchange value, to assume everyone will abstain from sex work because it's not mandated by the state is highly flawed. Either it gets pushed into a black market or there is some kind of regulation.

I literally know people who have their needs met through family money, but do sex work anyways because hey, it's nice to have extra money for nice things sometimes. A state where base level needs are met isn't going to take away that impulse.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Top City Homo posted:

what good or service would a prostitute obtain if all essential goods and services are provided through post scarcity cornucopia i.e. communism?

Non-essential ones?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Top City Homo posted:

what good or service would a prostitute obtain if all essential goods and services are provided through post scarcity cornucopia i.e. communism?

non-essential goods? communism isn't necessarily post-scarcity; with the collective ownership of capital people could feasably work to enrich themselves, provided they don't enrich themselves by buying capital. going back to the corn canning example it's reasonable to assume peoples mandated lovely job shifts would provide some reward.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DeItaOne/status/1261357657648173057?s=19

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

uninterrupted posted:

I think my problem here is that you're assuming prostitution is created by capitalism and isn't merely controlled by it. In any society sex will have some hypothetical exchange value, to assume everyone will abstain from sex work because it's not mandated by the state is highly flawed. Either it gets pushed into a black market or there is some kind of regulation.

I literally know people who have their needs met through family money, but do sex work anyways because hey, it's nice to have extra money for nice things sometimes. A state where base level needs are met isn't going to take away that impulse.

Going off of this, I want to explore the idea of drudgery more generally. I wonder how much coercive power would actually have to be employed to get people to do work like mopping floors or painting walls.

For a personal example, I do the dishes whenever I'm staying with friends. I wash everyone's dishes. They never ask me too--it fact, they jokingly tell me I'm an rear end in a top hat for doing it. We just laugh it off, and I go back to washing their plates and stuff. I dont do it because I expect any compensation. I do it because I like helping people I care about.

Couldn't the same be true for painting bridges or scrubbing toilets? That in doing drudgery, youre helping people you care about? And if the whole point of communism is to fight for someone you dont know, to feel community with someone you've never met, wouldn't that extend into canning corn for someone on the other side of the planet, because you think they deserve to have corn that's properly canned?

I'm not an expert on any of this by a long shot. Right now I'm more trying to work through my own thoughts and experiences, and how they might help me (or us?) envision a future where work has been divorced from the pathogen of capitalist labor

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'd paint a bridge if they let me write "Butts" on it in huge letters tbqh.

then everyone would have to cross the butt bridge.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Pick posted:

the "sexual revolution" (there have been a number of periods where this term is thought to apply, including post-HIV) has a complicated legacy

that is fair, but i also feel like destigmatization of sex work is something (relatively) simpler to work for than the end of capitalism and equating the two just feels like typical leftist “well middle america will never go for it”, throwing up hands, and going back to fantasizing about what they’ll be doing in the vanguard after the revolution

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would never cross a butt bridge

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

cool dance moves posted:

I dont doubt that there are people who would want to take up sex work as a craft.

LOLing imagining people taking up prostitution part time as a craft the way some people take up beekeeping or raising heirloom tomatoes and using phrases like “Quality, locally-sourced artisanal sex work.”

Not that there’s anything wrong with people doing that, mind you. I just find the mental image funny.

Egg Moron posted:

You can argue that changing the culture around the shame associated with sex and what not is a vital component of the sex work legitimacy movement but that feels less realistic than dismantling capitalism imo

Changing culture is FAR easier than changing economic realities. Rich people don’t lose anything material from cultural changes so you won’t get the CIA murdering activists and whatnot if some kind of sex work legitimacy movement gains steam.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nothus posted:

The idea of using tobacco plants for large-scale protein production is an old one. I'm not sure why the idea never advanced beyond academic lab proofs of concept, but there has to be a huge drawback somewhere.

Microorganisms give good yield at low cost for most proteins in biotech and proteins of medical interest more often requires post-translational modifications on proteins which plants can't produce. For those proteins suitable for plant production there are frequently other plants with higher yield per acre. The basics are still sound though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

uninterrupted posted:

you also can't control for people who marry into money for the money's sake, but go back to that earlier post about how talking about street prostitution in the same breath as blowing a rich acquaintance for a Louis Vuitton is inherently not going to work because aside from the fact that sex is involved these two phenomena have almost nothing in common

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Microorganisms give good yield at low cost for most proteins in biotech and proteins of medical interest more often requires post-translational modifications on proteins which plants can't produce. For those proteins suitable for plant production there are frequently other plants with higher yield per acre. The basics are still sound though.

they have the infrastructure in place and tobacco has been dying for good pr since the 70s

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

readingatwork posted:

LOLing imagining people taking up prostitution part time as a craft the way some people take up beekeeping or raising heirloom tomatoes and using phrases like “Quality, locally-sourced artisanal sex work.”

Not that there’s anything wrong with people doing that, mind you. I just find the mental image funny.

Hell yeah give me fair-trade vibrators and cruelty-free leather S&M gear or give me death

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

sum posted:

Thesis: My house getting robbed is bad
Antithesis: Actually, capitalism is robbing us all the time

(CSPAM poster brain going at 1000000 RPM making a piercing high pitched squeal)

Synthesis: It's fine if your house gets robbed

everything is theft except actual theft, which is fine

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That's how I always envisioned things like custodial work being accomplished: there is a social push to recognize drudge jobs like janitorial work or canning as necessary and noble for the good of society, and the janitor becomes something of a high status job because it is rightly recognized that the janitor provides an essential social function for the good of all.

Like I'm already someone who makes no bones about the cleaning guy for the office I work in being an absolute hero. He comes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, vacuums, cleans the restrooms and empties the trash, and generally tidies things up. What would happen if the trash was suddenly never emptied? Drudge work keeps society running, and I'm hopeful that a communist society would recognize this and afford drudge labor status accordingly.

In such a situation, you may not need much "coercive" power at all, because social standing takes care of that problem for you. When everyone loves and respects the janitor, there's more satisfaction to be found in being a janitor. Will everyone want to be a janitor? Of course not. But many would be interested in the satisfaction of being a pillar of the community.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
however, you're ignoring how much of the ho-hum whoredom you described is a function of that vast inequality that makes taking .000000001% of a well off person's net worth easier than working for the same amount via some nonsexual avenue

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Changing culture is FAR easier than changing economic realities. Rich people don’t lose anything material from cultural changes so you won’t get the CIA murdering activists and whatnot if some kind of sex work legitimacy movement gains steam.

The CIA would absolutely murder sex worker activists if it threatens capital.

The private prison industry is threatened by any movement to decriminalize well... anything so, it would absolutely fight any efforts to decriminalize/legalize sex work unless there was still a way to exploit and profit off of sex workers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like sure, you might want an extra little thing for your own amusement or comfort, but under a fair system that doesn't overwhelmingly structurally disadvantage certain groups will it be sex?

Again, it's something to be very careful of because of how much it gets romanticized, while also being condemned. As a thought experiment, next time that you are at work in the office, take a look at the first five men who come to talk to you. Calculate to yourself how much you would need to be paid to be wholly sexually beholden to each of them for two hours. I really mean that, I mean really really think about that number. And think about whether that's what prostitutes are actually being paid, and if it's not, what is the cause for that gap

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

goth smoking cloves posted:

unless there was still a way to exploit and profit off of sex workers.

Middleman services, though probably not literal.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

but...

numer

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Declan MacManus posted:

that is fair, but i also feel like destigmatization of sex work is something (relatively) simpler to work for than the end of capitalism and equating the two just feels like typical leftist “well middle america will never go for it”, throwing up hands, and going back to fantasizing about what they’ll be doing in the vanguard after the revolution

I can see the through line in this argument for sure since we've all seen attitudes around sex change so much in our lifetimes and things were already radically different 30 years ago than they were 50 years ago but unlike homosexuality or other forms of sexual expression which are independent of the economy, I don't think you are ever going to get to a place where most parents will accept that their kids will be prostitutes. I am sure many people said this about homosexuality but prostitution and things like homosexuality are categorically different.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

cool dance moves posted:

Going off of this, I want to explore the idea of drudgery more generally. I wonder how much coercive power would actually have to be employed to get people to do work like mopping floors or painting walls.

For a personal example, I do the dishes whenever I'm staying with friends. I wash everyone's dishes. They never ask me too--it fact, they jokingly tell me I'm an rear end in a top hat for doing it. We just laugh it off, and I go back to washing their plates and stuff. I dont do it because I expect any compensation. I do it because I like helping people I care about.

Couldn't the same be true for painting bridges or scrubbing toilets? That in doing drudgery, youre helping people you care about? And if the whole point of communism is to fight for someone you dont know, to feel community with someone you've never met, wouldn't that extend into canning corn for someone on the other side of the planet, because you think they deserve to have corn that's properly canned?

I'm not an expert on any of this by a long shot. Right now I'm more trying to work through my own thoughts and experiences, and how they might help me (or us?) envision a future where work has been divorced from the pathogen of capitalist labor

I think this is a really good point and where my thoughts on communism are divorced from a lot of other people's thoughts.

I don't think money has to be abolished as much as the capitalist conception of money as capital. I'm fine with someone making more money because they took a whole ton of canning shifts, or they're the best surgeon, as long as they can't use that money to hoard capital and extract labor from others.

If you're part of an amazing research team that cures a pandemic, sure, here's some money to buy scotch/weed/musical instruments/caviar/what have you. As long as you can't buy land or capital with it, what's the drawback?

Pick posted:

you also can't control for people who marry into money for the money's sake, but go back to that earlier post about how talking about street prostitution in the same breath as blowing a rich acquaintance for a Louis Vuitton is inherently not going to work because aside from the fact that sex is involved these two phenomena have almost nothing in common

Totally agreed, they're completely different, but there's this idea that all sex work, not just subsistence level street prostitution, will end. There's a good chance street prostitution would end with a state that provides a solid base level of care, but plenty of sex work is outside that.

Pick posted:

Like sure, you might want an extra little thing for your own amusement or comfort, but under a fair system that doesn't overwhelmingly structurally disadvantage certain groups will it be sex?

Like this is exactly where we split off. You say under a fair system no one would want to trade sex for some kind of amusement or comfort; I think there would definitely be a subset of people who would have a number.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

I can see the through line in this argument for sure since we've all seen attitudes around sex change so much in our lifetimes and things were already radically different 30 years ago than they were 50 years ago but unlike homosexuality or other forms of sexual expression which are independent of the economy, I don't think you are ever going to get to a place where most parents will accept that their kids will be prostitutes. I am sure many people said this about homosexuality but prostitution and things like homosexuality are categorically different.

well it’s like that famous quote, it’s easier to imagine the end of my parents not supporting my onlyfans than the end of capitalism

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

communism could get rid of janitors if that was what was best.

it’s not that hard.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

communism could get rid of janitors if that was what was best.

it’s not that hard.

just make office workers clean up after themselves

food service people already do this

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Nature is healing

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

well it’s like that famous quote, it’s easier to imagine the end of my parents not supporting my onlyfans than the end of capitalism

:hmmyes:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

MANDATORY SEX WORK

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Crazypoops posted:

MANDATORY SEX WORK

Do we get to pick what kind?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Crazypoops posted:

MANDATORY SEX WORK

But horny is still prohibited

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The forums gave me a report button and I'm going to start reporting ANYONE that talks about sex in the economic thread.

KNOCK IT OFF

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Mandatory sex work + Horny is prohibited

the elegance of the solution is breathtaking

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

err posted:

The forums gave me a report button and I'm going to start reporting ANYONE that talks about sex in the economic thread.

KNOCK IT OFF

i think there was some interesting discussion but yeah it shouldn't consume the entire thread

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Is corporations saying they’re developing a Covid-19 treatment the new version of sticking “blockchain” in their name?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Egg Moron posted:

Mandatory sex work + Horny is prohibited

the elegance of the solution is breathtaking

people loving because their corporate owners say they have to, not enjoying it, and not even remembering why they would want to, eta 2024

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

NUMBER! is slow, there is a quarantine, worldwide horniness is increasing...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

err posted:

KNOCK IT OFF

Report you are self!!!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pick posted:

people loving because their corporate owners say they have to, not enjoying it, and not even remembering why they would want to, eta 2024

That was literally one of the stated goals of The Party in 1984, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

[/quote]

I knew a guy who had worked for years on the kill floor, he said he did it so no one else would have to.