Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

It's an adoption service; bring a macbook to their forever home today! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shaocaholica posted:

Am I so out of touch or are the children wrong?

Boomer energy with tech is fascinating. It was very difficult to explain to my dad a long time ago that the iphone he bought for $700 is not worth $500 5 years later. Why would they buy a completely obsolete but functional device when they get a better, newer version for less than one that nobody has ever touched?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
My new MacBook is running super hot when I’m just watching YouTube (like burning my legs hot). I’m hoping is just doing stuff in the background as it sets up.

(Also activity monitor is tougher to understand than process manager)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Youtube decode can be taxing. Especially if you're somehow set to 4K by default on a retina or something. What does activity monitor say?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a thermal sensor logger tool that works with older Core2 Macs? Intel Power Gadget doesn't work with CPUs that old. I just want a graph of CPU temps.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a thermal sensor logger tool that works with older Core2 Macs? Intel Power Gadget doesn't work with CPUs that old. I just want a graph of CPU temps.

The ancient Temperature Monitor probably still works. http://www.bresink.com/osx/LegacyProducts.html

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

Boomer energy with tech is fascinating. It was very difficult to explain to my dad a long time ago that the iphone he bought for $700 is not worth $500 5 years later. Why would they buy a completely obsolete but functional device when they get a better, newer version for less than one that nobody has ever touched?

You don't fight it. You sell it to another boomer

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

MenuMeters?

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Hoo-kay, it's not the new Airport, but it is interesting..

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/05/15/apple-files-regulatory-docs-for-mysterious-internal-network-adapter

Definitely not speedy considering it's only 1 GHz bandwidth..

There’s a leaker with a quite solid track record that insists that iPhones will lose all ports in favor of going completely wireless over the next years. This would also let Apple bypass the EU USB-C regulations (wireless charger+adapter is technically not a cable). He claims the U1 UWB is the first step in that direction, maybe this is related?

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, notebookcheck.net says that when stressing the i5 CPU and GPU on the 2020 Air simultaneously, effective throughput clocks down to a ridiculous 400 MHz. [...]

I just read the review and they straight up recommend the dualcore over the quadcore, because it runs cooler/quieter and singlecore/everyday performance identical.
GPU and multicore performance are both so limited by power/thermal limits the they don’t think it is worth it — their conclusion is get the dualcore for internet browsing or buy a MBP.

eames fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 15, 2020

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

redeyes posted:

You don't fight it. You sell it to another boomer

I assume this is how the housing market works

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I assume this is how the housing market works

Oh brudda you don't wanna know how deep the boomer energy goes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

Oh brudda you don't wanna know how deep the boomer energy goes.

Energy == money. As deep as the marinas trench.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

eames posted:

I just read the review and they straight up recommend the dualcore over the quadcore, because it runs cooler/quieter and singlecore/everyday performance identical.

GPU and multicore performance are both so limited by power/thermal limits the they don’t think it is worth it — their conclusion is get the dualcore for internet browsing or buy a MBP.

This is so ridiculous that you wonder why Apple even bothers to offer the quad i5 if it's going to be so thermally hamstrung.

Probably only for apps that only stress the CPU (like Excel, audio processing apps, business apps) or only the GPU (4K playback) and not both (FPS / action games, video apps, Zoom.)

It's gonna be crazed to recommend the base i3 Air over the i5, but hey, at least you can lay the blame on either Apple or Intel this time.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Have Apple thermals always been so bad? Did they just give up trying?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ah as cathardic as it is cleaning out the insides of old macs it’s also really good fixing loose hinges on MacBooks. Floppy flop no more!

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Have Apple thermals always been so bad? Did they just give up trying?

Yes

Notice what looks like a chipset heatsink and no heatpipe.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

buffbus posted:

Yes

Notice what looks like a chipset heatsink and no heatpipe.

This isn't quite as bad as it looks.

The vents on the MBA are tiny. That piddling little fan is hooked up to the entirety of the exhaust port right behind it, so while it's blowing, air is being pulled in through everywhere else in the case with a gap on it, towards that fan. Most of it will be coming from the intake vent, in the same position on the opposite side of the case. This means the current will pass directly over the heatsink.

This isn't an Optimal Cooling Situation. But, in this machine, with this 10W processor's thermal situation, in this machine's intended use case, it does the trick. Cooling isn't about keeping temperatures minimal, it's about keeping temperatures from exceeding certain safe thresholds. And of course if that chip's getting hotter, it's gonna cool faster for a given ambient. Apple don't care if your MBA spends most of its time at 80°C, they care that it doesn't go above 100.

The reason I'll bat for the MBA is because nothing in my daily driving other than the one time I attempt to use Youtube in Chrome has ever caused audible fan noise.The marketing is what it is but that's what this machine is for; if you want to run Final Cut or any video game other than Disco Elysium literally ever, you buy a Pro. Yes, a couple other laptops with similar profiles and prices do better with regards to sustained loads, but that's because they're not charging an Apple Tax, and that's a problem with Apple that's bigger than whether or not the MBA is a good pick in the context of the whole range.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What's even worse is that it looks like that heat sink isn't meant to be serviced. There's no separate part for it.. if something goes you gotta replace the whole logic board.

Also, something else to consider- here's a pic of a typical 10th gen Intel chip..

Note that there are two cores on the chip- one for the CPU and one for the GPU. That heat sink has to cool both at once.. pretty much on every pre-2016 Mac laptop they don't bother cooling the GPU separately, they just throw one sink on both cores, and run a heat pipe to some vanes that sit right in front of the fan blower.

On MacBook Pros 2013-2020, both the 2-port and the 4 port have a heat pipe that extends from the CPU/GPU to the fan exhaust; in the 4-port, there are two heat pipes running off the CPU/GPU that split off to two fans.

The MacBook Airs also used to have a heat pipe from the CPU to the fan in all 2011-2017 models. Starting with the 2018 model, they decided not to run the heat pipe from the CPU heatsink to the fan, choosing to just let airflow alone do the job the heat pipe used to, as Fedure pointed out above.

I guess maybe they decided the 7W / 10W chips didn't really need the heat pipe? Either way another baffling engineering decision on Apple's part..

Or more like 'Hey we saved seven cents on each Air, not having to have a custom heat pipe manufactured for us!'

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 16, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What do you mean not serviceable? There looks like 4 pins holding the heat sink down.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There's no discrete part you can order as a tech that says 'heat sink' on the 2018-2020 Airs to replace the one there, should you need to.

If you somehow need to, welp gotta order a whole new logic board.

You can replace the fan, though.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 16, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can’t imagine a scenario where that heat sink would need to be replaced tho.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I can’t imagine a scenario where that heat sink would need to be replaced tho.

Get a sweet custom-milled copper CNC job with higher surface ratio, for mad cooling and improved airflow bruh, then LIQUID METAL THAT BITCH. :pcgaming:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mister Facetious posted:

Get a sweet custom-milled copper CNC job with higher surface ratio, for mad cooling and improved airflow bruh, then LIQUID METAL THAT BITCH. :pcgaming:

Not even joking I bet you’d get 0.5C improvement tops.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

You joke, but there's an insane man on MacRumors currently building the perfect homemade Macbook Air heatsink and chassis

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2020-air-heatsink.2227066/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Linus is that you? Checks all of the boxes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm sure there's a market for a professionally done aftermarket fan and heat pipe solution. The question is what one could realistically charge for it.
People that understand TDP know that after the CPU is done turboing, it's just going to scale back to 9/10 watts anyway and still take 2-2.5 times as long in FCPX compared to a Pro...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 16, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
There’s no market given the MBP exists. Just maybe crazy people god bless them tho.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

There’s no market given the MBP exists. Just maybe crazy people god bless them tho.

Plenty of stupid people to fall for it. Just needs the right marketing spin, on peace of mind.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s also a cool hobbyist thing. I mean it’s a big and crazy thing when you can just put a strong fan next to (or on) your MacBook and have similar results I bet.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah I mean you'll not convince me that an aftermarket MBA cooler is a sensible purchase for anyone in particular but I'll still think it's neat af if you build and install one and it turns out relatively stable.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Doing a user account migration from a 2009 MBP to a 2010 MBP. Spinner disk to SSD over FireWire. Going at 5MB/s. WTH.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Have people always been this weird about monitoring their thermals? Reminds me of the early 2000s where people would check their battery cycles every 20 seconds.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

American McGay posted:

Have people always been this weird about monitoring their thermals? Reminds me of the early 2000s where people would check their battery cycles every 20 seconds.

People are gonna get weird about it when the computer shits itself.

People are gonna get weird when the MBA for like ~35 years had a heatpipe and then ifixit took it apart and it had no heatpipe.

People are gonna get weird about products they spend $2000 on.

People are gonna get weird about Macs.

People are gonna get weird

People are gonna

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

American McGay posted:

I’m just trying to get a baseline before I repaste it. Definitely not a normal thing normal people do.

eames
May 9, 2009

I don’t think this is such a big deal. They likely designed this ultraportable expecting power efficiency to increase faster than it did and now the 10nm quadcore refresh is reaching the limits of what the chassis was designed for.

After reading the notebookcheck review and data I’d lean towards the dualcore version.* The tradeoff is 30-40% in sustained multicore performance and 0% in singlecore performance for higher temperatures and more fan noise.
According to the review that’s not just from higher fan rpm but also a different fan curve. The dualcore is quieter than the 2019 version they tested.

So here we are, the long rumored ARM Mac will go up against the quadcore MBA that’s now being labeled as the „loud and hot but the best choice“ in mainstream/YouTube reviews.

* my only concern would be Hyperthreading; if it ever gets permanently disabled due to security issues, the dualcore may struggle with basic multitasking.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just a heads up amazon has what looks to be a drat good dongle on sale. Claims to support 100W PD.

QGeeM 7 in 1 USB Type C Hub HDMI 4k Adapter on sale for $18.19 while checkout applies promo code: A8NCHNX6. Shipping is free.

https://www.amazon.com/QGeeM-Delive...89425466&sr=8-3

Don't forget to clip the coupon too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

People are weird

:hmmyes:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

American McGay posted:

I want to hear a recording of these Macrumors posters lecturing Apple support on how their 16" should not be drawing xx watts on the Radeon high side and demanding to talk to engineering.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
People have been this crazy about stuff, but I feel like people are misunderstanding what the MBA is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Pretty neat that buying BetterSnapTool like 6 years ago granted me a license to BetterTouchTool.