Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose side of the New War of Love & Brains are you on?
IshiBame
IshIino
View Results

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Shiptrash is at it again

https://mangadex.org/chapter/892162/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

This chapter sounds like it was a massive pain in the rear end to translate.

Word games tends to be the bane of every fansubber/scanlators

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You'd think manga artists would know not to use them out of consideration for their foreign readers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

You'd think manga artists would know not to use them out of consideration for their foreign readers.

:thunk:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

boredsatellite posted:

Word games tends to be the bane of every fansubber/scanlators

Remember that Medaka Box arc where all the powers were based on stupid kanji wordgames?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remember that Medaka Box arc where all the powers were based on stupid kanji wordgames?

I remember Medaka Box pages that were 90% densely packed text that were probably half wordplay.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

I remember Medaka Box pages that were 90% densely packed text that were probably half wordplay.

That was probably the worst I’ve ever felt for people who had to attempt to translate things that only really work in the native Japanese into English. At a certain point you probably just want to throw your hands up and add a note that says “This does not translate into English, sorry”

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Remember the two page spread with the sorta-Yandere girl that's like 2 chapters worth of text densely packed into those two pages?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Remember the two page spread with the sorta-Yandere girl that's like 2 chapters worth of text densely packed into those two pages?

I feel like that happened multiple times towards the end.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ethiser posted:

I feel like that happened multiple times towards the end.
... sometimes I forget that, despite my begrudging appreciation of his work, Nisio Isin is kind of a hack. :haw:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Ishigami once again showing the heart of a lion beneath his deer-like fragility. What he did to Fujiwara was cold-blooded.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Supersonic Shine posted:

Ishigami once again showing the heart of a lion beneath his deer-like fragility. What he did to Fujiwara was cold-blooded.

She deserved it :colbert:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I look forward to Fujiwara reaction when she's the last one to find out that Pres and Kaguya are dating.

I'm pretty sure she's going to snap and kill someone. Probably Ishigami.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Her previous attempts clearly failed. Plus, she's lower on the "Kaguya likes you" totem pole than both the Pres and Ishigami, so she ain't got nobody else to blame but herself. :colbert:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Her previous attempts clearly failed. Plus, she's lower on the "Kaguya likes you" totem pole than both the Pres and Ishigami, so she ain't got nobody else to blame but herself. :colbert:
I wonder if Aka knew he'd created the moe highschool version of famous manchild Donald Trump.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Please do not compare Fujiwara to Donald Trump

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Fujiwara is actually intelligent and somewhat unlucky to be trashed by Ishigami so easily.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like I don't want to start a politics derail, but Chika's ancestors were a big loving deal for +1000 years; hell, within the story, they're still enough of a big deal that Chika and Moeha's parents are still prominent movers and shakers.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I didn't know Chika belonged to the Fujiwara clan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've played enough Samurai Warriors/Nobunaga's Ambition/Total War Shogun 2 to know about the Fujiwara!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's not explicitly stated that she is, but the clan does still exist (albeit over a bunch of different family names) and one of their descendants was Prime Minister back in the 90s. Like, the 1990s, they are still a part of modern history.

Chika's name is mostly a reference to the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter where a Fujiwara was one of Princess Kaguya's suitors, but given her background it's pretty plausible that she is actually part of that exact same noble family.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 16, 2020

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Clarste posted:

It's not explicitly stated that she is, but the clan does still exist (albeit over a bunch of different family names) and one of their descendants was Prime Minister back in the 90s. Like, the 1990s, they are still a part of modern history.

The relevant page (from the 1st volume extras), if anyone wants to see it:

More generally one of the few things that have disappointed me with this manga is that Fujiawara kind of went from being the instigator of a lot of jokes to the butt of them. Akasaka does a good job of giving pretty much every character believable motivations, but... if you're Fujiwara, why even stay in the council at this point? As some point pretty soon she's going to learn that one of her best friends--or someone that she thinks of as a best friend, and would canonically sacrifice her life for--has been hiding a huge and happy piece of news in her life, and that's tough on a person. Maybe we'll get that "dark Fujiawara" arc that Akasaka was hinting at.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agronox posted:

The relevant page (from the 1st volume extras), if anyone wants to see it:

Man the artstyle has changed.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
There hasn't been a Minister of the Right since the 1800s, yeah? I love all the weird little nods to that bit where the author said the comic took place in an alternate history

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't actually remember (I haven't read the raws in a while, sorry :shobon:), but isn't the Shinomiya Group supposed to be an old-school zaibatsu? Or... y'know, it at least seems to be managed a lot like one from the looks of it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Wark Say posted:

I don't actually remember (I haven't read the raws in a while, sorry :shobon:), but isn't the Shinomiya Group supposed to be an old-school zaibatsu? Or... y'know, it at least seems to be managed a lot like one from the looks of it.

It was mentioned in side materials that the story takes place in an alternate universe where the zaibatsu weren't broken up following the war.

Syritta posted:

There hasn't been a Minister of the Right since the 1800s, yeah? I love all the weird little nods to that bit where the author said the comic took place in an alternate history

It was abolished with the Meiji Restoration, yeah. By then it was an empty title typically held by the Shogun.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 17, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I've had a very boring few days of work where I need to keep myself occupied, so I ended up binging We Want to Talk About Kaguya to the latest chapter. I was surprised at how good it was, should've picked it up sooner.

Poor Hayasaka though. At least things work out for her in the end!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just had an idea. A really dumb idea which somehow Akasaka might consider: With Miyuki going to Stanford and Kaguya following him along, what if they just never bother 'fessing up to Fujiwara about their relationship? Will that finally be the stain that ruins the bow's surface which sends her on a downward spiral to becoming a 100% ruthless politician?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Wark Say posted:

I just had an idea. A really dumb idea which somehow Akasaka might consider: With Miyuki going to Stanford and Kaguya following him along, what if they just never bother 'fessing up to Fujiwara about their relationship? Will that finally be the stain that ruins the bow's surface which sends her on a downward spiral to becoming a 100% ruthless politician?

She just doesn't seem for a few years and when they come back to Japan they're married.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Early Translations for Chapter 189!

:siren: :siren: :siren:

It's SHIPPING WARS! :getin:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Dark Fujiwara sounds like a fun time. I want her to at minimum pull off a plan that makes Pres/Vice Pres confess their relationship to the student council as a whole. I'd get a kick out of her taking more evil actions too, but I think it'd be pretty funny if she accomplished this through over-the-top bad politician moves like bribery, secret recordings, physical threats, and corrupting school officials.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Normally, I don't really care about love triangles, but now...things are turning out real interesting.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know what my favorite thing would be as end result of this? That either Ishigami actually starts going out with Koyasu and just remains classmates with Iino or just went in that date with Koyasu and nothing more comes out of that so that he and Iino remain (relatively) amicable classmates. Not out of any hate for Iino or anything. It's just that (in my arrogant-rear end opinion, of course) it'd feel like Akasaka might be setting up this whole Ishibame vs Iinogami arc (or however you want to call this hot, dweeby mess of a shipping war) thing as a way of "in case readers hate this, break glass, grab parachute and bail out of this imminent plane crash of a shitshow". Like Ishigami probably appreciates Iino enough because of what she's done for him in the past, but can't see himself dating her due to all the bickering/slapping fights they get at class/in the Student Council. Same probably goes for Iino in that she'd probably grow to appreciate Ishigami in but remain at that. Like I'm probably giving Akasaka too much credit, but I think he should know better than to just lazily steer towards a boring conclusion.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 18, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
hello i am the satan of this thread and ishigami will end up with kaguya

until next time, do-gooders

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I just want her to be happy. Iino deserves to be happy

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I'm eager to see more self improvement from Iino first. As she is now there is no way she can handle a relationship.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Namtab posted:

I just want her to be happy. Iino deserves to be happy
lino's gonna get her heart broken, op

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
She first needs to get rid of her need to be slapped. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Really I think the main takeaway from the chapter is that Osaragi absolutely isn't being honest about why she's trying to get Ishigami and Tsubame together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I'm eager to see more self improvement from Iino first. As she is now there is no way she can handle a relationship.
She is a highly closeted girl with a stunted social maturity and highly naive worldview. A manchild. Ishigami does not deserve her as she is right now.