Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

I took it that the world of Disco is a holographic image on a CD. Literally a disc world. It was different before it was uploaded to this physical media.

Morrowind did it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

No Mods No Masters posted:

As someone who loves both, P2 and DE have a very interesting tension to me. I know zaum and ice pick lodge are big fans of each other in IRL which makes a lot of sense and is very cute- for all their surface level similarities they have almost diametrically opposed philosophies as game projects.

P2 is more wildly ambitious but more clearly flawed. DE is almost perfect, but it achieves perfection by keeping the scope of what it attempts very narrow and controlled. It probably says a lot about a person which one speaks to them more

I didn't know that they were familiar with eachother, but it makes me really excited. Both of these games came out in the last 12 months - so zaum, ice pick lodge, and other aspiring devs are likely studying each other & building on the concepts they like. Whatever's coming next will be very interesting lol.
I don't care about that UE5 graphics demo, this is the Innovation I want

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i haven't watched the whole thing yet but this dude goes deep on philosophy and politics in DE

its long and different parts are linked in the description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YNYVfES7BA

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 16, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

DE is almost perfect, but it achieves perfection by keeping the scope of what it attempts very narrow and controlled

i haven't managed to find a place in disco elysium where i wanted to do something that the game wouldn't let me, but i think this is because the game is so excellent at shaping your expectations and funnelling your desires

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i haven't managed to find a place in disco elysium where i wanted to do something that the game wouldn't let me, but i think this is because the game is so excellent at shaping your expectations and funnelling your desires

There being only one way to find Ruby stands out as a pretty glaring exception to this, I think. Why couldn't I search for the entrance that Kim easily found?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Why couldn't I search for the entrance that Kim easily found?

Don't you have to open that for him, from the inside?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kaysette posted:

i haven't watched the whole thing yet but this dude goes deep on philosophy and politics in DE

Poor guy spends the entirety of the (really excellent) video calling the city "Rechavol" :sigh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Yeah you're right now that I think of it. Still, it's kind of lovely that it all comes down to a single linear path.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Poor guy spends the entirety of the (really excellent) video calling the city "Rechavol" :sigh:

And this is like, the only game that I have ever seen that provides a pronunciation guide during loading screens

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

There being only one way to find Ruby stands out as a pretty glaring exception to this, I think. Why couldn't I search for the entrance that Kim easily found?

The other exception is, if I'm a hobocop why do I need a hotel room?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Qwertycoatl posted:

The other exception is, if I'm a hobocop why do I need a hotel room? why on Earth would I use a repulsive racist slur out of the blue becasue of a failed red check when all I was trying to do was have everyone dance?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

heated dancer moment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Harry's racism is treated like his alcoholism- a very hard habit to break even when you're earnestly trying and have incentive to, because it's an ingrained behaviour over years. And likely to come up not just when he's angry or frustrated but other times he's letting his guard down, including having fun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kaysette posted:

Oh hey. This guy registered on these forums to post his Metro Last Light critique as an LP.

And he thinks Joseph Anderson is worth citing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You were a racist all along im sorry

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hwurmp posted:

no, you can find it and open it from the outside. he has to suggest looking for it, though.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Count me in for someone who doesn't understand that people don't like the ending. I think it's the most beautiful ending to a video game I've ever played.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pathologic 2 is on Game Pass and it's only $1 again for a month so hey might as well play it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kaysette posted:

For those who did watch this - what did you get out of it?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Xander77 posted:

For those who did watch this - what did you get out of it?

I got about 12 minutes in before I realized this guy had no intentions of making a single interesting statement. I used to teach high school English and if a student turned in this opening to me there'd be about 20 giant red pen circles with notes like DELETE, CLICHE, GET TO THE POINT, RE-STRUCTURE. He even goes so far up his own rear end to say, "Ah you see I am elevating the video game critique to something you may have heard of if you have read a book, an "anal-ysis" and announces he'll be referencing Marx, Lacan, and Zizek as if the game wasn't wearing them on its sleeve to the point where it's practically text.

This is a feature length version of that "Rick and Morty is very high IQ" meme

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 17, 2020

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
There is now a free Spanish-born fan-made Fate-based Disco Elysium tabletop rpg.

I'm so loving glad.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

My laptop is ancient, so my Harry would only ever spawn as a incoherent mass of geometric shapes where his head should be. Made it through the whole game though and I think it's actually fitting. Kim wound up pegging me as a True Blue Moralist who is also a Giant Communist who wants to liquidate the ruling class, which was pretty funny.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Grammarchist posted:

Kim wound up pegging me ...

:frogon:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I'm having Witcher 1 Face Glitch flashbacks.
Also recent XCOM 2 Glitch flashbacks where my psi-op made a stable habit of spending any mission of hers as a floating contorted otherworldly mess of non-eucledian body geometry. Still functional as ever, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A friend had shared some graphical glitches of their own (that they thought might be intentional at first).

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hogama posted:

A friend had shared some graphical glitches of their own (that they thought might be intentional at first).

I got similar things. It took me until day 3 to realize that it was not an intentional graphical representation of your "descent into madness".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hogama posted:

how the gently caress does that happen

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Foglet posted:

There is now a free Spanish-born fan-made Fate-based Disco Elysium tabletop rpg.

I'm so loving glad.

This is pretty cool! There are a bunch of translation issues but nothing you can't figure out. I'd be very down to try this but no one I game with is into DE.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Doc Hawkins posted:

how the gently caress does that happen

slowly melting graphics card.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Kinda cool.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

bewilderment posted:

Pathologic 2 is on Game Pass and it's only $1 again for a month so hey might as well play it.

Thanks for the heads up. Installing now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm pretty sure this is what it looks like if the Pale is leaking into your computer.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Hogama posted:

Is Harry The Presence?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Renegade Cut finally released his Disco Elysium video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo4sHDGiDC0

He uses a full on cop and fascist playthrough as a vehicle to criticize police.

Spoilers obviously.
Wanted to reference the comment I left on this video - turns out he deleted it. rear end.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Someone should make a mod that makes your stat screen garbled like that if your conceptualization is too low (or too high?).

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I just found out about this game and blazed through it in a few days. I loved it. In a lot of ways it reminded me of Sunless Skies which is another favorite weird game of mine - people who liked DE would probably like that too.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I just started this game, knowing almost nothing about it beyond "it's really good."

Oh my God, this is *incredible*

I'm so happy people are making things like this

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xander77 posted:

Wanted to reference the comment I left on this video - turns out he deleted it. rear end.

What did you say?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

sebmojo posted:

What did you say?

Xander77 posted:

A copy pasted rant that doesn't actually address circumstances and concerns raised by the game.
This, but a bit longer and more specific regarding the unique circumstances of the police force under the occupation government. I also mentioned the Revachol Militia starting out as a communist volunteer force and currently preparing to lead a people's uprising against the forces of international capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

For what it's worth regarding tabletop RPGs for those interested in getting into such things:

Naturally, the system used in Disco Elysium is highly interconnected with Harry DuBois himself. So no game is going to get you the same experience.

The original world was apparently based on Kurvitz's old "binder full of house rules" style DnD campaign. Don't play DnD.

The actual system used in this game has no clear relationship with any particular RPG, but is closest to the 'Powered by the Apocalypse' framework, named after 'Apocalypse World', the first game to use it. Usually (it's a framework and design philosophy, not a standard), PbtA games involve having a small amount of genre-appropriate 'moves' (like 'lash out with violence' and 'read a situation') where you roll two six-sided dice (2d6), and add a stat. 10+ is an unqualified success, 7-9 is a mixed result, and less than that has the GM making a move on you - usually something negative. There are lots of real cool games using this framework (and lots of mediocre ones too), each of them tightly focused on their own genre.

Sacred and Terrible Fate, linked above, is based on the Fate system. The main feature with that system is that each character (and place, and interesting object) has a set of 'aspects', short descriptive phrases about them. You can spend a fate point to get a boost on a roll where one of your aspects may apply. And in turn, you might get given a fate point in return for agreeing that a particular aspect should cause trouble for you - like Harry's Crippling Alcoholism aspect. You can get your hands on Fate Core, the underlying system, for free online.

If you really want some kind of detective game, maybe you'd prefer the 'Gumshoe' system - two of the biggest names for it being Trail of Cthulhu for cosmic horror investigation, and Bubblegumshoe for mystery-solving teens. Here, the idea is that all the potential skills are split up between the players, so there's always someone able to find a clue and lead to the next one in the case.