Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tighclops posted:

Words

These are some serious effortposts to get to the heart of a very simple matter: your actual opinions are fine. Your schtick of *immediately posts snarky comment when somebody breathes a word about modern Star Trek* is what is old, unfunny, and unnecessary.

Your complete lack of self awareness, however, is increasingly hilarious and baffling, which is why this discussion continues to gather momentum.

EDIT: What a lousy snipe. Here, have a dramatic interpretation of how I imagine myself when I own the haters:

https://i.imgur.com/v9YG2KO.mp4

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tighclops posted:

I've posted plenty of times about how much I like Anson Mount, I was honestly onboard with Picard Show for at least the first few episodes before it went completely off the rails and I've posted about the characters there that I liked and why I felt they were working, I've even talked about enjoying Beyond as a decent Trek story. I've posted *endlessly* about the kinds of stories I feel Star Trek should be telling these days(and have told in the past, I don't know how many times I've talked about Past Tense) that would genuinely make it relevant and compelling, and the kinds of ideas and principals it should at least be striving to depict. I've often pointed to other contemporary shows that do these things better, and I enjoy talking about where modern Trek has fallen pitifully (often confusingly) short because these issues are related and because the way in which this stuff is currently bad to me is more interesting than the stories/characters/setting themselves now.

And other times I just make fun of it because I think it's stupid. Yeah.

Before I made my second post I went back into your post history to see if I was just overselling or something and no, I'm not. Out of the last 3 pages (120 posts), you made exactly 3 that had anything positive to say about the franchise and one of those was to say you'd rather it be Transformers or something. Some of this is attributable to how this thread wanders from topic to topic, but seriously.

But like, I am legitimately happy to read this because it contextualizes your loathing for the modern shows (especially Picard). We have very different standards but I won't disagree with any of these points. Like, if anything, my beef with modern Trek isn't that it's bad, it's that it just seems so confused as to what it wants to be. Say what you will about Voyager or Enterprise, but they were always pushing in a very specific direction. I'm hopeful that the soft reboot that Discovery is getting in Season 3 will improve the show's direction significantly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Allamaraine!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Zurui posted:

Before I made my second post I went back into your post history to see if I was just overselling or something and no, I'm not. Out of the last 3 pages (120 posts), you made exactly 3 that had anything positive to say about the franchise and one of those was to say you'd rather it be Transformers or something. Some of this is attributable to how this thread wanders from topic to topic, but seriously.

But like, I am legitimately happy to read this because it contextualizes your loathing for the modern shows (especially Picard). We have very different standards but I won't disagree with any of these points. Like, if anything, my beef with modern Trek isn't that it's bad, it's that it just seems so confused as to what it wants to be. Say what you will about Voyager or Enterprise, but they were always pushing in a very specific direction. I'm hopeful that the soft reboot that Discovery is getting in Season 3 will improve the show's direction significantly.

I'm not as harsh as a lot of people but there's seriously no way Disco S3 is going to be drastically different than S1 and 2 when the arching plot is "the Federation failed."

Unless it's like a Yesterday's Enterprise situation and they have to undo something but I'm not giving any of these shows credit before they air any more.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They keep loving it up when they try to appeal to the male fan base. The message is clear: a Star Trek show about a twee coffee shop

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

Before I made my second post I went back into your post history to see if I was just overselling or something and no, I'm not. Out of the last 3 pages (120 posts), you made exactly 3 that had anything positive to say about the franchise and one of those was to say you'd rather it be Transformers or something.

IIRC the thing that I posted was a pitch to that dude who occasionally posts here that actually works at Hasbro to do a Transformers line where the gimmick is that they do Star Trek things in addition to being transforming robots, which I think is cool and good? Not to make Star Trek more like Transformers, which would be bad. I can tell you're reading my posts but like - can you actually read my posts -

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Humerus posted:

I'm not as harsh as a lot of people but there's seriously no way Disco S3 is going to be drastically different than S1 and 2 when the arching plot is "the Federation failed."

Unless it's like a Yesterday's Enterprise situation and they have to undo something but I'm not giving any of these shows credit before they air any more.
I don't expect that it will be like Yesterday's Enterprise since it seems like by the time they get to the future things are a mess. It seems like they are going to try and fix whatever messed up the Federation so that things will be better in the future though.

I'm wondering what causes the collapse of the UFP since at least according to Enterprise there is still a thriving Federation in around the 30th/31st centuries.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tighclops posted:

If you take issue with my making negative comments about our favourite brand, then ignore them the way you've evidently been ignoring whatever positive remarks I have about it.

Uhh...

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It has gotten really annoying, (not to mention old af), but I don't want to ignore you because you also make posts worth reading.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Zurui posted:

In the announcement video, Anson Mount made a clear call for SNW to be optimistic and exploration-oriented and "New Eden" was pretty much a bog standard Trek episode and definitely his best - so there is some room for hope.

As much as I so very want to believe this, didnt Patrick Stewart say something vaguely similar about Picard when the show was first in its conceptual phase?

I mean at least Picard tried to shoot for a message, I'll grant it that, it was just failed by bad storytelling. The underlying anti-xenophobic message of PIC season 1 is still there, but the lovely storytelling undermines it completely because it turns out the Romulans' solution to the problem was just as legitimate as Picard's was.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Drone posted:

As much as I so very want to believe this, didnt Patrick Stewart say something vaguely similar about Picard when the show was first in its conceptual phase?

I mean at least Picard tried to shoot for a message, I'll grant it that, it was just failed by bad storytelling. The underlying anti-xenophobic message of PIC season 1 is still there, but the lovely storytelling undermines it completely because it turns out the Romulans' solution to the problem was just as legitimate as Picard's was.

IIRC, what he and Chabon kept promising was that it would be an introspective show that would be partly about xenophobia and isolationism, and that the world Picard would find himself in would be very different than the last time we saw it. Really, everything they said was trying to brace the fans for it being a "really different type of show," which must be part of why I haven't had that big of a problem with it personally, because what we got tonally kind of aligned with what I expected more or less.

Of course, for a lot of people, this may have been like the Scarecrow in the going "I told you my show would take you places, I never said they'd be places you want to be."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just have it be post dominion war and now all the major powers are basically friends because they've learned to work together and respect one another and have the conflicts not be war because war is boring and it sucks too

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Episode: The gorn send a gift to the president of the federation but no one can figure out what it's supposed to be! Every major crew member has a theory. It turns out to be a super good audio system with bitchin woofers

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Just have it be post dominion war and now all the major powers are basically friends because they've learned to work together and respect one another and have the conflicts not be war because war is boring and it sucks too

I would be interested in Star Trek: friendship is magic

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Bloop posted:

I am in favor of this development

It will not be perfect. I will absolutely watch it.

Yeah, Anson Mount is so loving charming as Pike they'd have to try really hard to make this unwatchable. Probably won't be good, but it'll be fun. I hope they do not have a story arc and just do Trek episodes.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Humerus posted:

I dunno, the sole promo pic they've released is literally the crew holding up a tattered Federation flag in a wasteland so if that's the metaphor they're going for I'm in.

Call me an optimist; I used to watch this show as a kid that taught me that humanity can aspire to amazing things while still being deeply flawed.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, Anson Mount is so loving charming as Pike they'd have to try really hard to make this unwatchable. Probably won't be good, but it'll be fun. I hope they do not have a story arc and just do Trek episodes.

I wish more writers would remember how to do light story arcs instead of these huge MAJOR REVEAL AROUND EVERY CORNER IT ALL COMES TO A HEAD IN THE FINAL EPISODE. DS9 and Stargate did this extremely well; they'd have two- to four-parters and sprinkle plot throughout the other episodes. I think part of my enjoyment with Picard was that, despite having major plot points hidden from the audience, I never felt like I was on a rollercoaster. I don't want Space Mountain Trek, I want Pirates of the Caribbean Trek.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm totally fine with serialized stories, I just want a variety of things to watch. That's part of why The Orville was refreshing, it was nice to see some old school episodic sci-fi again. And in Trek in particular I want a mix of serialized and not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
True. I want individual episodes about how Kirk is dreamy but also a longer arc that explores how dreamy he is

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

True. I want individual episodes about how Kirk is dreamy but also a longer arc that explores how dreamy he is

Don't forget the two-parter about why he's dreamy!

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Zurui posted:

I dunno, the sole promo pic they've released is literally the crew holding up a tattered Federation flag in a wasteland so if that's the metaphor they're going for I'm in.

Call me an optimist; I used to watch this show as a kid that taught me that humanity can aspire to amazing things while still being deeply flawed.

If that's where you're coming from that's fair, but the entire premise behind S3 is giving me bad Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda flashbacks. I want to give it the benefit of the doubt but that's... harder than I thought it'd be.

Also, that variation on the Federation seal annoys me. In terms of visual metaphor there's a line between unsubtle and insulting and that drat flag just tapdances right across that line. It's a really small nitpicky detail I know, but come on.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Maybe this means they will keep all the "Federation has lost its values" storylines quarantined in Discovery so people who want to see something else can just ignore it if they want.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Mal-3 posted:

If that's where you're coming from that's fair, but the entire premise behind S3 is giving me bad Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda flashbacks. I want to give it the benefit of the doubt but that's... harder than I thought it'd be.

Also, that variation on the Federation seal annoys me. In terms of visual metaphor there's a line between unsubtle and insulting and that drat flag just tapdances right across that line. It's a really small nitpicky detail I know, but come on.

I didn't even noticed they'd altered the flag; it could just be to look more ~future~ but who knows?

I never watched Andromeda but from what I've gained through osmosis is was okay-ish to bad in the first season and then took a hard right turn into neoconservative awfulness in season 2. Kevin Sorbo is the original Adam Baldwin, from what I've gathered.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mal-3 posted:

What's wrong with replacing olive branches with scimitars?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The chevron predates the starfleet arrowhead by several years IIRC

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Tighclops posted:

The chevron predates the starfleet arrowhead by several years IIRC

Yeah, USAF Space Command had been using it for a while.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The USSF will fit right in with the space agencies of the world...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

I mentioned a while back that I'm in the middle of a Dark Shadows binge-watch and that Mitchell Ryan (who plays the first Burke Devlin) would go on the play Commander Riker's father, Kyle Riker, on TNG.

I have now discovered the origin of the Riker leg-over manuever:

Helluva catch! drat shame when Ryan gets recast though.

I've fallen a bit behind in my rewatch since Amazon Prime started running commercials on Dark Shadows.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

IIRC, what he and Chabon kept promising was that it would be an introspective show that would be partly about xenophobia and isolationism, and that the world Picard would find himself in would be very different than the last time we saw it. Really, everything they said was trying to brace the fans for it being a "really different type of show," which must be part of why I haven't had that big of a problem with it personally, because what we got tonally kind of aligned with what I expected more or less.

Of course, for a lot of people, this may have been like the Scarecrow in the going "I told you my show would take you places, I never said they'd be places you want to be."

We've all done the Scarecrow, big deal.

Zurui posted:

Star Trek: The 100

This fall on The CW.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powered Descent posted:

And The Mole People

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u28sjSZlQnk

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

The red thing is an airplane.

AN AIRPLANE.

Did no one read NASA's explanation of what they drew?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sash! posted:

The red thing is an airplane.

AN AIRPLANE.

Did no one read NASA's explanation of what they drew?

No one cared once they started sending people into space.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I lost my poo poo when it started flashing English words on the screen.

DEFIANT

PROPHETS

FEDERATION LOGO

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Is it ever explained how all species can understand each other, even primitive ones on first contact?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Is it ever explained how all species can understand each other, even primitive ones on first contact?

Everyone has an implanted universal translator. dont ask how it works.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Pick posted:

Everyone has an implanted universal translator. dont ask how it works.

Thank u pick

Other question: is there an in-universe explanation for why pretty much every species is a humanoid biped? Like I remember that Romulans and Vulcans were the same thing, but are humans and Klingons also related? Was it like a pan-spermia Prometheus thing?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it's in TNG Season 6

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah it's in TNG Season 6

Which ep?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I recall the Cardassians and Klingons being rather pissed about that big revelation, too.

The Chase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
The first species to ever reach sentience in the galaxy was some weird egg thing that spread their genome around millions of years ago to encourage other species to develop sentience so they wouldn't be lonely.

Edit: Guess I'll add spoiler tags if you wanna watch the episode.