Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Its the apocalypse that really shows and highlights the value of a home gym.
And webcams?

Neato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Didn't think the camgirl franchise would be the ones profiting from covid19.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm an apartment dweller now, but I'm planning on buying a house in the next year or two, and I'm definitely going to be looking for a basement or garage that I can turn into a gym.

Zzulu posted:

I'm a natural lifter (most of the time :grin:) and I do 6 days a week. I just do a regular push pull legs schedule and try to always lift heavier. It's getting sort of impossible now that I seem to have reached my limits. Can't really put more weight on or do more reps

You've most likely just hit the limits of linear periodization. Look into something with a smarter progression and you'll keep making progress.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anybody doing any kind of routines with bands? I'm not much of a lifter anymore, and it's gotten worse with Covid. I was doing calisthenics and yoga and running and I've done an OK job keeping my fitness (what little there is) going. I've got some of those big loving loop bands. I did some squats and good mornings with the green one, and ohp and rows with the black one today. Not much, but my body has that "I lifted today" feeling.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

I'm an apartment dweller now, but I'm planning on buying a house in the next year or two, and I'm definitely going to be looking for a basement or garage that I can turn into a gym.

Filter your searches on places with RV garages. They're deeper and you'll have room for your rack/platform plus a car.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ultrafilter posted:

You've most likely just hit the limits of linear periodization. Look into something with a smarter progression and you'll keep making progress.

Hell yeah, brother. My wife and I are looking to purchase a home within the next two years as well. I wasn't too concerned with a basement, but working out from home two weeks into this whole thing has changed my mind.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Anybody doing any kind of routines with bands? I'm not much of a lifter anymore, and it's gotten worse with Covid. I was doing calisthenics and yoga and running and I've done an OK job keeping my fitness (what little there is) going. I've got some of those big loving loop bands. I did some squats and good mornings with the green one, and ohp and rows with the black one today. Not much, but my body has that "I lifted today" feeling.

John Meadows (rip) has a bunch of band workout videos on youtube if you haven't checked them out

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
He's not dead lol

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

This guy?

https://youtu.be/t4d1wKnuyoY

I'd never heard of him before but it looks like good stuff.

So he died recently then? This video is pretty recent. Covid?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh lol

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

He just had a heart attack so I was just guessing

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Home platform owns. Weight is so much lighter when you don't have to lower it gingerly.

Just need more plates now.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Just did the band workout I linked earlier. Feels good man.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
Cross posting from the CSPAM thread, but the owner of my local powerlifting gym is opening against state guidelines. When I asked him what precautions they’ll be taking he said, “safety is played out.” :stonklol:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pump Jockey posted:

Cross posting from the CSPAM thread, but the owner of my local powerlifting gym is opening against state guidelines. When I asked him what precautions they’ll be taking he said, “safety is played out.” :stonklol:

Sounds like you'll be picking up some equipment for cheap when he has to sell it all to pay for his Covid-19 treatment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The stereotype that lifters are dumb as poo poo is based at least partially in experience.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Legs sore as hell from that band workout. Bulgarian split squats are no joke.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pump Jockey posted:

Hmmm, meaty boys are dumb ? Who could’ve known

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

as wiser wits have observed, we have declared the pandemic over because it got boring

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pump Jockey posted:

My PL gym owner was on the news bitching about how Governor Ivey was "forcing him not to be able to get money" despite the fact he still charged everyone full membership fees without asking anyway during the lockdown.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Has a gym owner ever existed that wasnt sleazy? When I used Lifetime they were pretty close, but they charged you so much they didnt really need to be sleazy in order to make tons of moeny.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah you'd think gyms would be some of the most insulated businesses possible against losing income during the shutdown. It's all coming from auto-debited monthly membership fees, they're not depending on any kind of money changing hands through physical interactions on the premises. If anything they should be doing better than ever since there's no wear and tear on the equipment and no need to pay staff. They could literally chain the doors shut and would probably do just fine for months until enough people figured out how to cancel their accounts.

Unless I guess they're making bank on protein shakes and towel rentals or whatever

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Data Graham posted:

Yeah you'd think gyms would be some of the most insulated businesses possible against losing income during the shutdown. It's all coming from auto-debited monthly membership fees, they're not depending on any kind of money changing hands through physical interactions on the premises. If anything they should be doing better than ever since there's no wear and tear on the equipment and no need to pay staff. They could literally chain the doors shut and would probably do just fine for months until enough people figured out how to cancel their accounts.

Unless I guess they're making bank on protein shakes and towel rentals or whatever

Most of them aren’t charging when the doors aren’t open and the ones that have been are facing class action lawsuits

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Deadlifted for the first time in forever yesterday. Felt amazing.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Got roped into bringing my boss her monitors & PC from the office out a half hour to her house in the boonies. Took a walk in the woods around her property and came out with a nice stone that weighed in at 148.4lbs. Not as big as I was hoping given how loving annoying it was to carry it out to my car but still more weight than I have in my garage at the moment (90lb on an ez curl bar and a 32lb kettlebell, hooray)

I'll snag a picture of my literal ground score later

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Omnikin posted:

Got roped into bringing my boss her monitors & PC from the office out a half hour to her house in the boonies. Took a walk in the woods around her property and came out with a nice stone that weighed in at 148.4lbs. Not as big as I was hoping given how loving annoying it was to carry it out to my car but still more weight than I have in my garage at the moment (90lb on an ez curl bar and a 32lb kettlebell, hooray)

I'll snag a picture of my literal ground score later

Is this a modern retelling of the printer story?

E:

I spotted this on Facebook Marketplace yesterday within minutes of it being put up and I didn't pull the trigger right away like a big, dumb idiot.

$170 would have been great for the plates alone. Hell, I only want two of the 45s, I probably could have resold everything else and made my money back.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 19, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is this a modern retelling of the printer story?

E:

I spotted this on Facebook Marketplace yesterday within minutes of it being put up and I didn't pull the trigger right away like a big, dumb idiot.

$170 would have been great for the plates alone. Hell, I only want two of the 45s, I probably could have resold everything else and made my money back.

Hey that's the plate set and bench I have ( plus a preacher attachment?). Yeah it's like 260 lb of plates. That price is insanely low.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

Hey that's the plate set and bench I have ( plus a preacher attachment?). Yeah it's like 260 lb of plates. That price is insanely low.

Yeah, I'm looking at $80 + tax for two CAP 45lb plates (if they ever loving come back in stock). $170 for all that would have been a steal.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

That bar alone would get you an easy hundo if you're being kind

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hmm, I just found a local uhhh blacksmith I guess? Is that a profession still, outside of Skyrim?

He works with metal and makes random poo poo(lamps and countertops and tables) and I kinda told him a power rack would be nice and he says he can totally build that... waiting for a quote...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hmm, I just found a local uhhh blacksmith I guess? Is that a profession still, outside of Skyrim?

It is. Talked to one no that long ago and his work was like 50% custom art pieces, furniture, etc. and 50% working with tool bits for a machine shop. Not sure what he did with them exactly, some kind of maintenance.

*not sure if tool bit is the correct terminology, the conversation was in Finnish

doverhog fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 20, 2020

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
outing myself as an even fatter weirdo than I have in posts past, https://streamable.com/ovp9gr

I'm already planning a trip this weekend to find something bigger/more unwieldy

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Omnikin posted:

outing myself as an even fatter weirdo than I have in posts past, https://streamable.com/ovp9gr

I'm already planning a trip this weekend to find something bigger/more unwieldy

Time to start a new order of the stones

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I wonder how much a blacksmith would charge to make some 45s.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

My province lifted gym restrictions yesterday and I'm cautiously excited. Anytime sent an email saying they'd be reopening by the 25th and I know it might not be wise but I'm desperate for a true gym workout.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ours opens today. You sign up for a platform and a time. No sharing anything. Must wipe everything down before and after.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm a resistance band convert, at least for the next 8 weeks. I think some sort of Bulgarian Split Squat will replace regular squats for me forever.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

My province lifted gym restrictions yesterday and I'm cautiously excited. Anytime sent an email saying they'd be reopening by the 25th and I know it might not be wise but I'm desperate for a true gym workout.

Gyms in Calgary sound like they'll be closed another two months. I saw the rules that Goodlife is running with and if we're limited to hour long workouts that we need to sign up for, I'll probably just keep lifting in the muscle dungeon at home.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Defiant Sally posted:

Gyms in Calgary sound like they'll be closed another two months. I saw the rules that Goodlife is running with and if we're limited to hour long workouts that we need to sign up for, I'll probably just keep lifting in the muscle dungeon at home.

Yeah AT is gonna start reserving workouts for the 25th starting on the 22nd, 70 minutes max. It's not ideal, but I'm gonna make do and supplement from home. I know it's a tired saying but I do benefit from having to leave my apartment to exercise, and the range of equipment is much greater. I'm currently on leave from my job for several months and I'll appreciate the opportunity - it'll be a nuisance, but at least it'll be available to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just seems like a pointless risk. Get a few months of extra gym workouts in, risk catching the 'vid and losing all your gains in the hospital (possibly even die but who cares about that?)

Save some money, save some lives, stay home and crank it to anime.