Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

curiousTerminal posted:

The first species to ever reach sentience in the galaxy was some weird egg thing that spread their genome around millions of years ago to encourage other species to develop sentience so they wouldn't be lonely.

Edit: Guess I'll add spoiler tags if you wanna watch the episode.

Alien Nation confirmed to take place in Star Trek universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Is it ever explained how all species can understand each other, even primitive ones on first contact?

I'm tryin to think of an example of 2 species interacting and understanding each other, where neither one has a translator. I can't really remember an example? I guess Enterprise has the whole "The translator is still learning" bit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm tryin to think of an example of 2 species interacting and understanding each other, where neither one has a translator. I can't really remember an example? I guess Enterprise has the whole "The translator is still learning" bit.

The universal translators don't work for parts of two DS9 episodes, Sanctuary and Little Green Men. And of course the biggest example would be Darmok, although technically that's more "the words are being translated but that's not enough".

There's a scene that I'm 90% sure is in The Ensigns of Command where Troi and Picard hang a lampshade on it all, with a conversation about how remarkable it is that any two species can communicate at all.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

This may sound really dumb, but if I were to write anything, I'd want it to be about an Earth multiverse with an alliance of intelligent species from across the multiverse who invite people from Earth in a future alternate utopian timeline (branching off from 1980-2000 or somewhere around then) to go on diplomatic and exploratory missions. There'd be a trade summit between Terrestria and Aquatica with octopi with airplanes, corvid and magpie merchants with submarines selling fabric that can change color like the chameleons who weaved it, mole rats drilling with machinery the deepest hole on any Earth, and bears hibernating on an Interdimensional Space Station. Any societal-problem-world story would take place on a non-alliance world.

There'd be sitcom-like episodic stories such as "So you're trying to get a gift for the captain's birthday? Well, I've got just the thing" and then it's the opposite of just the thing. Any rare drama like "When I said I was all right with an open relationship, it was only so that I wouldn't lose you" being couched in the absurdity of it being between animals.

There'd be no Prime Directive. The interdimensional aliens nudged the utopian Earth's timeline by having its "problem people", who crave power so deeply that they can't be satisfied except through seeing the sundering of another, crave literal cheese pizza instead of cash. Because there is only so much that can be held in a human stomach, that Earth is a slightly more peaceful planet with a slightly deeper appreciation for Italian food

The worlds adjacent to each species' prime world (optimal for that species) in the multiverse would be left monitored but untouched for the sake of keeping things from being confusing with their own parallel federations and being able to use the data to more accurately forecast future events. There'd be a version of the multidimensional federation with species working together to open up all worlds for harvesting of resources. There'd be some bog-standard intrigue related to it, like instigating "let's you and them fight" misunderstandings with third parties and illicit smuggling of arms through a supposedly neutral third party that supposedly has a peaceful use for them

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 16, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

galenanorth posted:

There'd be no Prime Directive. The interdimensional aliens nudged the utopian Earth's timeline by having its "problem people", who crave power so deeply that they can't be satisfied except through seeing the sundering of another, crave literal cheese pizza instead of cash. Because there is only so much that can be held in a human stomach, that Earth is a slightly more peaceful planet with a slightly deeper appreciation for Italian food

Italian Federation Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-xsosv6uM0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Continuing the TOS trip report-

The Changeling- This is now the second episode where Kirk rules-lawyers a computer into self-destructing. It's also the second episode in a row where Scotty is seriously injured (in this case he dies). Somehow the ship's speed is increased by Nomad to Warp 10. I don't think it was until TNG that warp speeds were more consistent. In this episode alone they mention that what turns out to be Nomad is firing some kind of projectiles at Warp 15. According to this episode, the Enterprise is pretty drat strong compared to all of its other future and past versions, as the ship absorbs a blast equivalent to 90 photon torpedo hits and Scotty mentions that it can take another three blasts like that before the shields fail.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The Warp 10 = infinity concept didn't come along until TNG, when they redid the warp speed scale because Roddenberry only wanted single-digit warp speeds (but also wanted the new Enterprise to be faster than the old one). There are a few other instances of double-digit warp factors in TOS.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Warp 10 = infinity concept didn't come along until TNG, when they redid the warp speed scale because Roddenberry only wanted single-digit warp speeds (but also wanted the new Enterprise to be faster than the old one). There are a few other instances of double-digit warp factors in TOS.
The one I remember the most is in Star Trek 3, where the Excelsior can go way past Warp 10.

It was also pretty clear that The Changeling heavily inspired TMP, which is almost the exact same plot but with a much bigger budget. What I didn't know is that this episode is a rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with an identical plot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This is pretty funny because by the late 90s they were routinely reporting four digit warp factors.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Changeling- This is now the second episode where Kirk rules-lawyers a computer into self-destructing. It's also the second episode in a row where Scotty is seriously injured (in this case he dies). Somehow the ship's speed is increased by Nomad to Warp 10. I don't think it was until TNG that warp speeds were more consistent. In this episode alone they mention that what turns out to be Nomad is firing some kind of projectiles at Warp 15. According to this episode, the Enterprise is pretty drat strong compared to all of its other future and past versions, as the ship absorbs a blast equivalent to 90 photon torpedo hits and Scotty mentions that it can take another three blasts like that before the shields fail.

That's one of my favorite episodes but the bit with the photon torpedoes doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They've just easily absorbed the equivalent of 90 torpedoes, they fire back one... and everyone's astonished that anything could absorb that much energy.

Arglebargle III posted:

This is pretty funny because by the late 90s they were routinely reporting four digit warp factors.

No they weren't (at least not without a decimal after the first digit).

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

For some reason I always think "The Changeling" is the episode where the trio get locked in the smoky sound stage with a mute woman. TOS had a lot of nonsense episode names:

THE MAN TRAP

THE ALTERNATIVE FACTOR

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zurui posted:

For some reason I always think "The Changeling" is the episode where the trio get locked in the smoky sound stage with a mute woman. TOS had a lot of nonsense episode names:

THE MAN TRAP

THE ALTERNATIVE FACTOR
The Alternative Factor is also very bad

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powered Descent posted:

The universal translators don't work for parts of two DS9 episodes, Sanctuary and Little Green Men. And of course the biggest example would be Darmok, although technically that's more "the words are being translated but that's not enough".

Also a pretty good scene in Discovery, almost nobody on the bridge has same primary language.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Powered Descent posted:

That's the point, with Warp 10 as infinite, you're stuck saying increasing large decimals after Warp 9 which kind of defeats the purpose of having Warp 10 as infinite in the first place.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That's the point, with Warp 10 as infinite, you're stuck saying increasing large decimals after Warp 9 which kind of defeats the purpose of having Warp 10 as infinite in the first place.

But despite those few instances of 9.975 or whatever, Roddenberry's warp-10-is-infinite edict still mostly had the desired effect and stopped warp factor inflation: "warp 9" still meant "we're going really really fast" even by the end of Voyager. Contrast that with the fate of the poor kiloquad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zurui posted:

THE MAN TRAP

THE ALTERNATIVE FACTOR

The Man Trap is about an alien that traps men

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The best thing to do would have been no numbers at all, just have them say maximum warp, 3/4 warp etc like the impulse engines. And then in serious times Picard would tell engineering he needs more power to increase the maximum warp speed, and in a case where their ship was going faster than possible they can be amazed that they're exceeding any maximum warp they ever have before. Warp speeds are always whatever the plot needs anyway so why not fully embrace it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
have any of these new series dealt with the continuity issue in star trek canon that the real world should have been stuck in the genetics war since like 1996 so now we can't have an unbroken line from the current day to whatever series like the callbacks to contemporary culture usually assume

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arivia posted:

have any of these new series dealt with the continuity issue in star trek canon that the real world should have been stuck in the genetics war since like 1996 so now we can't have an unbroken line from the current day to whatever series like the callbacks to contemporary culture usually assume

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Having a separate thread for nu-trek is not a terrible idea tho. If you like them you might even prefer having that focus to go along with a show as it is being aired.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

it looks like I somehow missed a uniquely terrible episode of voyager

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

:allears:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Isn't there a global war happening right now?"
"Eh, global actors, but it's pretty much all happening in Asia."
"What's left of it, anyhow."
"Right. So you can still get frozen yogurt here while thousands simultaneously have their genes dissolved by RNA bombs."
"Ooh, I like gummi bears, captain!!"
"No, Paris. They get too hard in the cold yogurt."

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Arivia posted:

it looks like I somehow missed a uniquely terrible episode of voyager

Episodes (two parter), and it owns actually. Sarah Silverman is there and Ed Begley plays an evil Bill Gates. It's when the EMH gets the portable projector. S3 I think, Future's End.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Arivia posted:

We still get those references. Why?

Option 1: The genetics war still happened in the main universe, but we the audience didn't experience it because we live in the mirror universe. That's why Lorca referenced Elon Musk as an aerospace hero.

Option 2: Temporal cold war.

Option Q: Q.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I remember reading some fanwank theory about how the Eugenics Wars were kinda some shady behind-the-scenes thing instead of actual proper wars. Something about how all of the awful poo poo happening in geopolitics since '96 can be attributed to Khan's secret war or some bullshit.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

because we live in the mirror universe

Let's get real, this is actually where we are.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Maybe they should've had a floating timeline where the start of TOS is always the same amount of years away from the year in which TOS premiered

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

galenanorth posted:

Maybe they should've had a floating timeline where the start of TOS is always the same amount of years away from the year in which TOS premiered

IIRC this was commonly accepted canon until TNG. Some fan sources had TOS in the 25th or 26th century.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

"Isn't there a global war happening right now?"
"Eh, global actors, but it's pretty much all happening in Asia."
"What's left of it, anyhow."
"Right. So you can still get frozen yogurt here while thousands simultaneously have their genes dissolved by RNA bombs."
"Ooh, I like gummi bears, captain!!"
"No, Paris. They get too hard in the cold yogurt."

At least there’s coffee in this flashback.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Drone posted:

I remember reading some fanwank theory about how the Eugenics Wars were kinda some shady behind-the-scenes thing instead of actual proper wars. Something about how all of the awful poo poo happening in geopolitics since '96 can be attributed to Khan's secret war or some bullshit.

Let's get real, this is actually where we are.

This was the basic plot of the two books Greg Cox wrote about the Eugenics Wars. Gary Seven was also heavily involved, because why not. I read the books when I was in high school and I remember liking them but I'm sure they're actually not very good.
But yes, stuff like civil wars in Eastern Europe and unrest in India and even the hole in the Ozone layer was all part of the Eugenics Wars Khan was waging via proxies with other genetically engineered people who had their own proxies.
Gary Seven is the one who sent Khan away on the sleeper ship which had been developed for survivors of nuclear war but he realized he could prevent the war by sending Khan and his followers away. At least that's what I remember, I read these like 15 years ago.
He had a third book about Khan's time on Ceti Alpha V and how he and his people survived as well, that posited he had an entire underground city, not just the cargo containers we saw in TWoK.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

oh for gently caress sake I meant no warp 10, yes they did 9.996 or whatever

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zurui posted:

IIRC this was commonly accepted canon until TNG. Some fan sources had TOS in the 25th or 26th century.

mmm, I'm not sure whether that's from "floating start date" so much as that TOS is itself inconsistent as to when it's supposed to take place in; some episodes imply only a couple hundred years in the future, and there's a couple that imply something closer to nine hundred years

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It was around the late 70's/early 80's that it was more firmly established, I think. Decker refers to Voyager 6 being launched "over 300 years ago" in TMP, and The Wrath of Khan opens with "In the 23rd century..." as a title card after the opening credits.

But yeah the timeline still remained a little weird, especially in the movie era. We sorta know now retroactively that TOS depicts 2265-2269 and TAS is 2269/70. There's no canon source on what year TMP takes place but it's assumed to be 2273, and then there's a nearly ten-year gap in the canon between TMP and Khan. I think someone mentioned a few pages ago that the assumption is that Admiral Kirk didn't just sideline Decker and take the Enterprise back for the duration of the V'Ger crisis, but that he did an entirely new five-year mission in the thing in between, before the Enterprise was converted into a training ship under Captain Spock and Kirk got shoved back behind a desk.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm just pointing out the irony in a dead guy's instructions from 30 years ago no need to get defensive.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Drone posted:

But yeah the timeline still remained a little weird, especially in the movie era. We sorta know now retroactively that TOS depicts 2265-2269 and TAS is 2269/70. There's no canon source on what year TMP takes place but it's assumed to be 2273, and then there's a nearly ten-year gap in the canon between TMP and Khan. I think someone mentioned a few pages ago that the assumption is that Admiral Kirk didn't just sideline Decker and take the Enterprise back for the duration of the V'Ger crisis, but that he did an entirely new five-year mission in the thing in between, before the Enterprise was converted into a training ship under Captain Spock and Kirk got shoved back behind a desk.

There was a comic series after TMP but before Wrath of Khan that depicted the second five-year mission of the refitted Enterprise. Interestingly, Kirk was in command of the Enterprise instead of Spock, who had returned to his scientific duties. Aside from that, though, I don't think there's ever been a canon explanation for what happened in the long gap between the first two movies.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There was a comic series after TMP but before Wrath of Khan that depicted the second five-year mission of the refitted Enterprise. Interestingly, Kirk was in command of the Enterprise instead of Spock, who had returned to his scientific duties. Aside from that, though, I don't think there's ever been a canon explanation for what happened in the long gap between the first two movies.

I've been working my way through the early-80's comics and there's some wild poo poo in there. Also they're all bad.

The one I'm on right now is a Sulu story and it's just... well, they leaned really hard into his Japanese heritage and went full-on stereotype in ways that are questionable:

Early 80's American-comic-writer-doing-something-Asia-focused checklist:

-Katanas, lots of them
-Some borderline WW2-era propaganda poster level facial illustration
-Kimonos
-Mecha
-Topknots
-HONOR though the typeface almost makes it look like Sulu is gonna learn the meaning of HONDA

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Drone posted:

I've been working my way through the early-80's comics and there's some wild poo poo in there. Also they're all bad.

The one I'm on right now is a Sulu story and it's just... well, they leaned really hard into his Japanese heritage and went full-on stereotype in ways that are questionable:

Early 80's American-comic-writer-doing-something-Asia-focused checklist:

-Katanas, lots of them
-Some borderline WW2-era propaganda poster level facial illustration
-Kimonos
-Mecha
-Topknots
-HONOR though the typeface almost makes it look like Sulu is gonna learn the meaning of HONDA

Uh...wow. I own the "Complete Comics Collection" DVD and I completely missed this one.

The really nutty ones are the Gold Key comics. I'm not sure the writer had ever even seen an episode of the original series. The Enterprise could land on planets, there was one comic story were Scotty was eager to get into a fist fight with Spock. Just really bizarre poo poo that's nothing like the real series.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I recall reading that a lot of the early Trek merch had that problem

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Post the Spock helmet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers