Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
can't wait to nail Jesus to an iPhone

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Last Chance posted:

can androids scroll properly yet?

ya whats the answer

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im assuming no

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

they’re working on adding 8 more cpu cores to maybe help

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

klosterdev posted:

can't wait to nail Jesus to an iPhone

Jesus took the phone, broke it, and gave it to his disciples saying “Take, eat, for it is a liquid metal extension of my body

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Schadenboner posted:

an goode phone (one running iOS)

okay let's not go too far

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it’s still possible to find old iphones se, good phones are still available

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Phobeste posted:

I don't quite get the obsession about phone specs other than "how big and how nice is the screen" and "how long does the battery last" and "is it a good user interface". for poo poo like basebands all you can ask is that it be not broken, who cares about individual little cpu and ram specs as long the phone runs kinda smooth

i guess i don't really do mobile games so maybe thats the reason? idk

it's because android users are deeply deeply resentful that apple has been able to get away with "under powering" it's phones relative to them for literally over a decade and getting better performance out of less than half as much ram and such

so they go "BUT MORE CORES AND RAM" as if that has any actual impact on how usable it is, it's as dumb as suggesting you get your mom a rack mount server to play solitare on

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to be clear though it has receded to be a thing that only the most hardcore nerds care about. in the early android days, when it was properly sluggish, it was a thing of more universal interest (well, universal among the lighter kind of nerd who took an interest in their phone at all).

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The Management posted:

stop buying phones for specs. android phones compete on specs because idiots focus on numbers instead of the experience. you’ve literally said
lol those are from comments section of android reviews or articles

also we all know apple has superior custom soc with better efficiency and performance while being better integrated with the software anyway

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Jesus took the phone, broke it, and gave it to his disciples saying “Take, eat, for it is a liquid metal extension of my body

V nice

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Encrypted posted:

lol those are from comments section of android reviews or articles

drat, it is I who is owned

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I think maybe if a thread has gotten to the point of arguing that some teens actually do deserve to get bullied its time to close it for a while

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

four years into the pixel phone line, sales are going not so good

also executives are bailing out

but the funniest part is

osterloh is the head of google hardware. he makes the decisions. is he not agreeing with himself?

texts are copied from The Information via https://www.androidcentral.com/mastermind-pixels-excellent-camera-has-left-google

qirex posted:

how many dollars has google spent trying to make their own phones? if you include their writedowns from motorola it's got to be like 15 billion easy

watching google and samsung try so, so loving hard to make android phones something other than a poor man's last resort has been an enduring source of lols

they've both spent billions on "flagship" devices that sell to approximately no customers, and android remains the phone for people who couldn't afford something better

just money poured into a void, an endless chase for prestige they will never attain

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol remember how the whole tech world spent the six months before covid hyping up phones with ~*fOlDaBle ScReEnS*~? and how every one of those $1400 phones sucked, and nobody bought them, and now its like it never happened?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

don’t remember that at all really

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i still want foldables to be a thing. my phone is too big (when it's in my pocket) but also too small (when I'm trying to look at stuff on the screen) and foldables could the solution to that once the technology advances so that they don't break all the time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DuckConference posted:

foldables could the solution to that once the technology advances so that they don't break all the time

so never

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

watching google and samsung try so, so loving hard to make android phones something other than a poor man's last resort has been an enduring source of lols

they've both spent billions on "flagship" devices that sell to approximately no customers, and android remains the phone for people who couldn't afford something better

just money poured into a void, an endless chase for prestige they will never attain

what are you talking about? google phones sure, no one actually buys them, but samsung has outsold apple for years now. the s20 hasn't been a disappointment, but it also launched literally as the world was shutting down from pandemic, and the s10 outsold the s9 outsold the s8 etc. samsung flagships sell really well, they just don't make any money from them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

what are you talking about? google phones sure, no one actually buys them, but samsung has outsold apple for years now. the s20 hasn't been a disappointment, but it also launched literally as the world was shutting down from pandemic, and the s10 outsold the s9 outsold the s8 etc. samsung flagships sell really well, they just don't make any money from them.

while its not broken down by model so you might be technically correct that the flagships dont make money samsung does routinely pull in near 20% of smartphone profits (while apple pulls in around 80% so any math geniuses should be able to figure out what everyone else makes)

my guess would be the budget a-series and other low end samsungs dont have anywhere near the margins that the note/galaxy s models do and that the money samsung makes on phones are on those flagships but thats just a guess

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i think theres also the argument to be made that google has to make something as the company controlling the ecosystem whether it sells or not because otherwise the idiot oems will never manage to get new features to work. like how i think it was htc that just stored a jpg of the users fingerprint or how samsung uses "facial recognition" that can be fooled with a picture

if google themselves didnt make a phone to be the definitive way to do things then they quickly end up with five different implementations of hardware features all of which dont work correctly which has happened more times than i can count

now whether the best way to go about that is to make a boring device with a bunch of questionable decisions at iphone prices is the best course of action is debatable but given the market realities im not sure theres a profitable way to make reference devices to keep the ecosystem in line

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Stick it to the man and sideload a cracked APK of Strava premium (assuming you have android). That's what I do for MyFitnessPal, and I use virustotal.com to check the APKs for malware. It has caught everything nasty so far (that I know of), but if anyone else knows of a better safety net please share.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Stick it to the man and sideload a cracked APK of Strava premium (assuming you have android). That's what I do for MyFitnessPal, and I use virustotal.com to check the APKs for malware. It has caught everything nasty so far (that I know of), but if anyone else knows of a better safety net please share.

yikes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LastInLine posted:

i think theres also the argument to be made that google has to make something as the company controlling the ecosystem whether it sells or not because otherwise the idiot oems will never manage to get new features to work. like how i think it was htc that just stored a jpg of the users fingerprint or how samsung uses "facial recognition" that can be fooled with a picture
i always thought one of the main reasons google did nexus/pixel was to make sure anroid oems didnt completely race to the bottom in terms of features and quality, and well mission accomplished i guess

its just they spend so many more resources trying to turn them in to a broadly-selling consumer product line and utterly failing and that is where the lols come from (along with things like the pixel tablet and pixel earbuds)

supplying things to your oems while also competing with your oems and also trying to influence your oems to do certain things in a certain way is a very tough trick to pull off. its no wonder the nexus/pixel effort is so incoherent

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
was there a particular reason why goog didn't just make android licensing or play store access contingent on meeting certain standards?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm p. sure they do

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah, the "certain standards" are "don't fork android"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

lol i just saw this one in the wild

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:stare:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

was there a particular reason why goog didn't just make android licensing or play store access contingent on meeting certain standards?

goog has no leverage. android is forked by chip vendors and given to phone makers for free. if customers can’t run android because of some licensing disagreement, chips don’t get sold. if chips don’t get sold, chip vendors become angry. oh, and there’s only one chip vendor, qualcomm. if qualcomm decides not to adopt the latest feature rolled into android in their fork, those features don’t get rolled out to customers.

google has so little leverage that they had to make google play services, which updates separately from android, to be able to move their code forward.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

they do its called the "compatibility test suite" and to pass it a device has to meet technical hurdles. to give a recent example gesture navigation was a thing in third party oem sets long before google came up with their method. the problem is obvious every handset worked differently. so they made part of passing cts you have to use googles method for gesture nav by default and you can include your weirdass one-off method in the menus

its how they mandate stuff like the google search bar has to be on the home screen by default and you have to include x y and z apps or that devices with certain specs cant include apps that would crash the phone (tho this is a developing market thing)

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, the "certain standards" are "don't fork android"

and ofc theres this which is for being a member of the open handset alliance which is pretty much this. this is at the company level rather than device level

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

goog has no leverage. android is forked by chip vendors and given to phone makers for free. if customers can’t run android because of some licensing disagreement, chips don’t get sold. if chips don’t get sold, chip vendors become angry. oh, and there’s only one chip vendor, qualcomm. if qualcomm decides not to adopt the latest feature rolled into android in their fork, those features don’t get rolled out to customers.

google has so little leverage that they had to make google play services, which updates separately from android, to be able to move their code forward.

the purpose of gps is to move all the stuff that makes android work out of aosp and into a proprietary codebase they alone control. people have reverse engineered gps to the point where there are community builds of it (the name escapes me atm) and ofc huawei had to build a gps layer so that they could make handsets without google apps but obv. google can and does change gps so that those break

also everything at this point can update without qualcomms help but thats only since android 10. i think theyve finally abstracted everything so that now when qualcomm stops updating a soc after a year or w/e it is they can update everything around it without breaking things. again tho thats only stuff released on android 10 so nothing in the real world except pixel 4/4a and maybe the samsung stuff

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

apparently now you can get walmart brand android tablet for 99 bucks because why not

quote:

When you think of cheap Android tablets, you probably think of the Amazon Fire series, but Walmart is also in the game with its in-house "Onn" tablets. As spotted by 9to5Google, recently Walmart started selling two new models of its Onn tablet: the 8-inch "Onn.8 Tablet Pro" for $99, and the 10-inch "Onn.10.1 Tablet Pro" for $129.

well they gotta cut the price somewhere so

quote:

The SoC is unhelpfully listed as a "2.0 GHz Octa-core processor" but an earlier leak pegged both tablets with a 2.0 GHz MediaTek "MT8768WA" SoC. The MT8768 features eight Cortex-A53 cores and a 650Mz PowerVR GE8320 GPU. The CPU cores are one of the first 64-bit cores ARM ever produced and were originally introduced in 2012. I can't find detailed specs on this exact model, but other MT87xx SoCs, which also use Cortex A53 cores, are built on a 28nm process. So yeah, it's cheap.

quote:

The skin is mostly stock Android, except for what looks like a super-annoying Walmart system navigation button. This opens a dedicated Walmart app portal featuring all your favorite apps like "Walmart, Walmart Grocery, Vudu, Sam's Club & Walmart eBooks." What's worse is that, since this is a system navigation button, it pushes all the other navigation buttons to the side, so Home, Back, and Recents are all off-center.

and from the comments

quote:

quote:

Is there any word on how locked down these are? Possible to flash with other ROMs? Is that even a thing anymore? (Been a looong time since I've had an Android device)

These would be GREAT control panels for home automation
I found a TWRP image after a quick google - might be the older generation, but bodes well.

I didn't see a lineageOS image, though, which is where my mind went if I was going to give this to my 2yo. (He loves to draw on an old S5, so this would be a neat upgrade.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

does anyone on the planet use "home automation" for anything beyond turning lights on and playing music

i.e. things you could do with a remote control in 1980

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
stuff like thermostats (inc pool, sauna, etc), and home irrigation systems

those are generally on crestron systems though, not something you're using a walmart tablet for

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

and lastly cameras but yeah those four things are most of what people use home automation stuff for

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I just want that sweet red "party mode" button to alter the...
...lights and music :(

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Android stuff runs like poo poo because if you make anything native that talks to the OS, it has to go through the stupidly slow Java bridge, because the native dev kit has features such as "a neural network library" but not "a way to get the current battery %". Seriously, the native app dev kit is (nearly) completely worthless, and seeing https://developer.android.com/ndk/reference/group/neural-networks is just...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

performance has mostly caught up though (mix of the vm getting better and socs getting faster, without phones really doing anything terribly different than what they did in 2010), so it is actually cool and good that most of the platform and apps are written in a slightly higher-level and safer language than just throwing some c variant at poo poo.

also lol at the very performance-sensitive battery level check you apparently need to do.