Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mycomancy posted:

Looks like a great place to raid.

Just as a hypothetical you're right. But it would not be a place to actually stay. The only reason that people are living on Fisher Island now is because it can get a constant stream of stuff to consume. If there ever was a shtf it's pretty much indefensable and un livable.

Which makes me wonder where the ultra-rich have planned to go in case something ever happened?

If I had to guess, and start looking around, I'd check the plains and the mountain ranges. Because a lot of their "defense" would probably have to be that it's just un-reachable by the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Just as a hypothetical you're right. But it would not be a place to actually stay. The only reason that people are living on Fisher Island now is because it can get a constant stream of stuff to consume. If there ever was a shtf it's pretty much indefensable and un livable.

Which makes me wonder where the ultra-rich have planned to go in case something ever happened?

If I had to guess, and start looking around, I'd check the plains and the mountain ranges. Because a lot of their "defense" would probably have to be that it's just un-reachable by the masses.

The trick is to watch for turkey vultures circling. The methane generated by their hidden sewer system will draw them from miles away.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

not one, but two bags of beans i bet

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

spacetoaster posted:

when coronavirus hit nyc the rich fled to the hamptons and hudson valley

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I only know about the place because I was curious about how the ultra-rich separate themselves from people. I figured Miami has some very rich people, so I just started looking around on satelite photos of the coast.

The place has a super nice golf course, beaches, posh condos, and a private school. Workers are shipped in daily to service the rich who drive luxury cars around their tiny island with stone streets and every need catered to.

I bet there are some other little spots like this on the West coast.
Holy poo poo this is totally that one island in GTA Vice City. Never realized it was a real place.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spacetoaster posted:

The ultra rich already have purpose built bunkers in Iceland and Sweden and poo poo, and because they cost so drat much to build they're all publicly searchable. Like where they are and also who owns them.

iirc Peter Thiel has 2 of them pretty close together and a bunch of other tech billionaires own bunkers in the same area

https://twitter.com/vino_freakism/status/1237959739025149952

EDIT: it was new zealand

bring back old gbs has issued a correction as of 01:25 on May 17, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bring back old gbs posted:

The ultra rich already have purpose built bunkers in Iceland and Sweden and poo poo, and because they cost so drat much to build they're all publicly searchable. Like where they are and also who owns them.

iirc Peter Thiel has 2 of them pretty close together and a bunch of other tech billionaires own bunkers in the same area

I'm really curious how they plan on staffing them.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Peter Thiel may be the most genuinely evil person alive today.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mycomancy posted:

Looks like a great place to raid.

it looks like part of a BR map.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It reminds me of when I looked up Vault maps for Fallout 4 to raid

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

These popped up because our previous government introduced a resident visa for rich people. It was called the "entrepreneur visa" and required people to bring and invest $10m NZD for five years (or something similar, I can't remember the exact details).

That's how we ended up with a bunch of rich assholes building their boltholes down south.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It would be a shame if they lied or omitted relevant information on their their visa or citizenship applications.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sekenr posted:

What I don't get about the elite of this world, is how don't they understand that people like Corbyn or Sanders are actually their only hope? Because even if they make their life more difficult they will not put them against the wall. Othwerwise when the wagon crashes down and new bolshevik revolution happens, there will be no discrimination, everybody with money dies, revenge, just like it happened in Russia.

They don't believe the wagon will ever come crashing down, and in fact, they've invested considerable time and resources into trying to ensure it never happens.

Corbyn and Sanders aren't a threat because of their policies, they're a threat because they're people with significant platforms who are willing to say "maybe being rich...bad?". That flies in the face of the decades of media manipulation and propaganda that the rich have devoted to banishing that concept from the public discourse.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

lol goons cosplaying proles and not knowing sports clips tries to sell itself as hooters for haircuts

What? I had no idea from their radio ads, they just bragged about their "famous" hot towels in them. I'm going to write a letter to the editor of my local paper over this degenerate filth!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

lol goons cosplaying proles and not knowing sports clips tries to sell itself as hooters for haircuts

sports clips is great because they are very unlikely to try to make small talk with you, and if they do, you can just pretend to be very focused on whatever dumb bullshit is on ESPN NEWS at that moment.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

I'm really curious how they plan on staffing them.

The Guardian posted:

Finally, the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system and asked: “How do I maintain authority over my security force after the Event?”

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from the angry mobs. But how would they pay the guards once money was worthless? What would stop the guards from choosing their own leader? The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers – if that technology could be developed in time.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

sports clips is great because they are very unlikely to try to make small talk with you, and if they do, you can just pretend to be very focused on whatever dumb bullshit is on ESPN NEWS at that moment.

I never had this problem with any barber. Just signal you don't want conversation, it's easy! You don't need to go to the boobie barber.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Sekenr posted:

What I don't get about the elite of this world, is how don't they understand that people like Corbyn or Sanders are actually their only hope? Because even if they make their life more difficult they will not put them against the wall. Othwerwise when the wagon crashes down and new bolshevik revolution happens, there will be no discrimination, everybody with money dies, revenge, just like it happened in Russia.

the eternal strategy of the rich is to a) crush mild socdem politics and b) boost the fash, that way they can divert prole anger at scapegoat minorities and the left to keep themselves comfortably at the top of the pile

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

netBuff posted:

I never had this problem with any barber. Just signal you don't want conversation, it's easy! You don't need to go to the boobie barber.

I simply make small talk because they’re just being polite generally

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Revolution is moral

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

I love this article.

Yes, billionaires who are too loving stupid to figure out how to cook for themselves or do their own laundry will be able to repair a fleet of sophisticated robot servants ad infinitum. The loving arrogance and lack of self-reflection is staggering.

Extreme wealth is a mental disorder whose only cure is removal of the affected organ.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mycomancy posted:

I love this article.

Yes, billionaires who are too loving stupid to figure out how to cook for themselves or do their own laundry will be able to repair a fleet of sophisticated robot servants ad infinitum. The loving arrogance and lack of self-reflection is staggering.

But Elon Musk is a billionaire and---- oh wait...

e:

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 14:45 on May 17, 2020

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

How does Matt Lauer have apocalypse bunker money?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Why would you pay for a spray tan when you live somewhere sunny?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
they didn’t take away his money when he got fired for the electronic tape door

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

PostNouveau posted:

I like talking to my barber, they usually have something interesting to say, like the time they asked me if I had ever heard of Travis Alexander, a guy who'd been stabbed to death in the shower by his ex girlfriend who took before and after pics. Turns out I'm almost identical in appearance pre murder and now I have a pic of what I'd look like if I was about to be stabbed to death in the shower!

Thanks barber! :toot:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I’m going to set up a “doomsday poppers” movement, whose only job is to clog the air vents of all these bunkers

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

mycomancy posted:

I love this article.

Extreme wealth is a mental disorder whose only cure is removal of the affected organ.

i mean, the best they can manage is a static emplacement while ceding control of the world to people who can crack open their little bunkers at leisure

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

I think I'm starting to get why chuds want cspam closed.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Jel Shaker posted:

I’m going to set up a “doomsday poppers” movement, whose only job is to clog the air vents of all these bunkers

I'm in, but can we change one letter?

:itwaspoo:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Headline from my news aggregator:

quote:

NASCAR Racing to Resume Today with the Real Heroes 400 at Darlington Raceway

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ruffian Price posted:

building robots to serve as guards and workers

That's the fantasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW6wRX54Xk8

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/aventuraobscura/status/1262007688835235840?s=21

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

T-man posted:

Much like silicon valley marketing is comprised of 40% egotistical idiots who buy their own bullshit, 30% unabashed con artists and souless killers with MBAs, 20% innocent nerds who actually want to make new and effective things and have the talent to do so (Wozniack, stats/graphic design/psychology degrees), soon to be chewed up and screwed over, and 10% stupid amounts of funding from the ultrawealthy needing somewhere to stow their stolen bloodmoney. alternative medicine is the same with more con artists and way less innocent nerds. (nerds, like children, are incapable of understanding ethics due to years of doing math instead of reading Frankenstein)

Wtf most people in marketing are underpaid interns and non-permanent independent contractors

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I like talking to my barber, they usually have something interesting to say, like the time they asked me if I had ever heard of Travis Alexander, a guy who'd been stabbed to death in the shower by his ex girlfriend who took before and after pics. Turns out I'm almost identical in appearance pre murder and now I have a pic of what I'd look like if I was about to be stabbed to death in the shower!

Thanks barber! :toot:

Smalltalk God tier

Last time I went to the barber we ended up talking about Bush doing 9/11.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
have to make an ask capitalism.png thread, i'm looking for a video where a monopoly man esq cartoon interacts with a millenial twitter brand personality making more and more ridiculous posts and getting good results

does anyone know what the gently caress i am talking about

e; VVVV TYVM :)

The Protagonist has issued a correction as of 20:36 on May 17, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

have to make an ask capitalism.png thread, i'm looking for a video where a monopoly man esq cartoon interacts with a millenial twitter brand personality making more and more ridiculous posts and getting good results

does anyone know what the gently caress i am talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmqVyw5EzOY

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

That's kinda kickass, I can't wait to see Electric Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

yeah it’s called boston dynamics and there was just a video of them roaming the streets of Singapore