Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How would I going about seeing what games I turned broadcast on for? Someone on my friends was pestering me to watch me play... something and I eventually relented but I can't remember what it was. I think it was lovecrafts untold stories but idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah really, it’s a series that is defined by vast wasteland and muscle cars.
the problem is that the genre of open world means that vast wasteland is paradoxically littered with points of interest that ask you to ignore not just that movie Mad Max wouldn't give a poo poo about them, but that even video-game Mad Max only cares about getting his car back and not effecting actual change in the wasteland for the betterment of anybody.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I have over 90 hours in Mad Max and enjoyed it a lot up until some point near the end where there was a big final (I think?) race you had to participate in and it was just stupidly loving harder than anything I'd done in the game up to that point. Or maybe I was just Doing It Wrong somehow? Dunno. Anyway, I failed a few times, told myself I was going to take a break and get back to it, and then got distracted by some other game and never did.

It was cool up to that point, but YMMV depending on how much repetition you find fun re: the optional side stuff. I remember you could completely max out (heh) your abilities by only doing a small part of the content.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If you told me this 5 years ago I never would have believed you but I got Anno 1880 on the EGS sale and trying to manage my supply chain of pork sausages and bricks and schnapps and whatever while also keeping my village aesthetically pleasing is one of the most compelling video game experiences I've had in a while. I guess this is what getting old feels like.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm playing GTAV still. Do I have to complete every character's missions to complete the campaign? Or can I play as mostly one character throughout the entire game and merely see the story from a different "perspective" at times?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm playing GTAV still. Do I have to complete every character's missions to complete the campaign? Or can I play as mostly one character throughout the entire game and merely see the story from a different "perspective" at times?

You have to switch characters at certain points.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Mad Max was great. They really nailed the desolate beauty vibe I was hoping for. The only part I really didn't care for was the extended mole-man underground part.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mad Max is fine as long as you:

1) Beeline main story for the Harpoon before you do any side content.
2) Don even think about 100%ing it (particularly avoid the scrap points in the map, can't remember the name but they're worthless).
3) Just stop playing when you're not having fun anymore.

Just arrived to GasTown. Business definetly picked up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You have to switch characters at certain points.

Like at only specific points and I can switch back or I have to do all of their missions?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's been a while, but for the first chunk of the game, I don't remember if it's necessary to complete EVERY mission for each of the characters but you're required to do most of them. Somewhere around a third-to-halfway through the game their stories converge and while you'll still be forced to switch sometimes, you'll get a little more freedom to play through certain events as the character of your choice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You'll get stretches when you can play any character (from memory mostly while setting up for the heists) but most of the story locks you out of at least one if not two of the roster.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pentyne posted:

Walking Simulator's sure came a long way since Dear Ester.

It's literally just walking, non stop, the entire time, no interactivity at all just monologues that trigger once you reach certain points.

I'm honestly surprised they're even charging money for it. It feels like at best a tech demo or proof of concept for some actual game.

It's a one character radio play with a 3d engine. I still really like dear Esther for all its pomposity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Back when Gone Home came out in 2013 there were a lot of embarrassing thinkpieces written about how it "wasn't really a game," but those never made sense to me because GH's narrative achieved things that you could only really do in an interactive format. Which seems to be the gold standard for how online nerds define "good" storytelling in video games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the people writing those thinkpieces grew up on master chief and not Interactive Fiction

so they couldn't understand that walking simulators grew out of the latter

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

You'll get stretches when you can play any character (from memory mostly while setting up for the heists) but most of the story locks you out of at least one if not two of the roster.

I see, thanks.

It's just that I find Franklin boring and Trevor is just too much of a monster psychopath to find fun. Michael is enjoyable though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zeta Acosta posted:

Just arrived to GasTown. Business definetly picked up.
I think what really broke me with regards to Mad Max was the melee fighting. The car parts are great but there are legions of enemies you have to punch through using what is a lite version the Arkham/Mordor system and it just isn't fun. Thing about Batman and Talion is that they both get access to a lot of gadgets and gimmicks that can mix up the flow and give you extra options as opposed to punch/counter/special move. Max gets gently caress all. Sure, there's the shotgun, but that's just the execution move you get really quickly in both Batman and SoM - and unlike those, there's nothing new down the line.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

How would I going about seeing what games I turned broadcast on for? Someone on my friends was pestering me to watch me play... something and I eventually relented but I can't remember what it was. I think it was lovecrafts untold stories but idk

You don't turn on broadcasting per game. When you broadcast to a friend it's just for that session.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

pentyne posted:

It's literally just walking, non stop, the entire time, no interactivity at all just monologues that trigger once you reach certain points.

I'm honestly surprised they're even charging money for it. It feels like at best a tech demo or proof of concept for some actual game.

A good simulator should allow you to do things you normally can't do, such as nowadays.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

exquisite tea posted:

Back when Gone Home came out in 2013 there were a lot of embarrassing thinkpieces written about how it "wasn't really a game," but those never made sense to me because GH's narrative achieved things that you could only really do in an interactive format. Which seems to be the gold standard for how online nerds define "good" storytelling in video games.

There's also a lot of thought on how the house was designed.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

pentyne posted:

There is a big spoiler for the game that makes it amazing.
Some content in the game is randomized. It pulls in different scenes of objects which changes the context and therefore the players interpretation of the story.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Subnautica: I was very glad to build a Cyclops but also immediately regretted it as soon as I took a walk inside it because there's no way I'll drive something so valuable and high maintenance around, risking all my effort literally sinking to the bottom of the ocean, instead of just zooming around on my Seamoth.

The Seamoth only goes to 800 meters with the final upgrade. You need to go deeper than that to finish the story.
You could walk all the way with the Prawn Suit and build deep bases instead of taking the Cyclops, I guess?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Samuringa posted:

Subnautica: I was very glad to build a Cyclops but also immediately regretted it as soon as I took a walk inside it because there's no way I'll drive something so valuable and high maintenance around, risking all my effort literally sinking to the bottom of the ocean, instead of just zooming around on my Seamoth.

Good news: Unlike the other vehicles, if the cyclops sinks it won't go "poof", it leaves a wreckage. You'll still have to build another one from scratch, but anything IN the cyclops, ie decorations, lockers, contents of said lockers, etc is all there to recover. It's also really goddamn sturdy, there's not much risk using it as it can cheerfully facetank a leviathan for a minute while you gather your wits, and has like four different trump cards to shoo them off.

Now, if it only had a second vehicle bay...

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Turning the Cyclops into a roaming base was great fun, don't miss out on it just because of the very small chance it might ge destroyed.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Building a cyclops, stocking up on supplies, and going on an expedition to a certain place in the game was one of my favorite gaming experiences in the past few years.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xaris posted:

StarkRavingMad already mentioned but you really gotta go deep as you can. You start raking in the gold on the third dungeon. I would also recommend plucking up some of the Blacksmith upgrades that increases the gold you keep if you die, it's not too much and you can easily get a solid 70% saved.

Also bosses are optional* so I would suggest avoiding them right now and just keep going deep deep deep. I personally found the bosses to be quite hard until I got a bunch of meta upgrades.

It's really became one of my favorite roguelites of all time.
Do you bother exploring the whole floors?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Building a cyclops, stocking up on supplies, and going on an expedition to a certain place in the game was one of my favorite gaming experiences in the past few years.

I found navigating that giant son of a bitch through crowded (but ultimately navigable) tunnels to be surprisingly fun, using all the cameras and my own map knowledge to get down there with minimum damage

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There isn't much that can really damage the Cyclops except for leviathans, so if you just treat it as a mobile storage location instead of as a vehicle you're not likely to ever lose it anyway. The only thing it's really good for is to save you the effort of carrying all your stuff back and forth every time you need to move base.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, Subnautica remains one of my favorite game experiences ever despite all the jankyness involved. Really looking forward to Below Zero whenever it's out.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Some day I'll have to get over my fear of pitch black ocean depths and actually complete Subnautica

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ymgve posted:

Some day I'll have to get over my fear of pitch black ocean depths and actually complete Subnautica

:same:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ymgve posted:

Honestly I have a pretty high degree of Thalassophobia from almost drowning as a kid, plus the Ecco: The Dolphin games in the Mega Drive really didn't help it. There were moments in Subnautica when I just saw the seemingly bottomless depths and I had to save and quit right there, but I kept returning to it because it was so fascinating to explore that environment.

For what it's worth, the only time I died in my entire playthrough was because of a fire.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't and I still got freaked out by it every time I had to get close to the crater edge. Subnautica is very, very good at making you feel small and helpless.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Has anyone played Foregone? I was browsing the epic game store and came across it, and if I didn't know better I would assume it's by the Dead Cells people.

It's gimmick is that the biomes are hand crafted, but enemies drop random stuff like Diablo. It's currently in EA and 5ish hours, they're hoping to make it twice as long.

Considering jumping on it due to the 10 dollar epic coupon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd say wait until it's finished first, but that would be a foregone conclusion.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress me, I haven't played Terraria in almost 5 years. Time to give it one more spin.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
In general waiting for release is the smart move, but I've gotten early access games for Slay the Spire, Dead Cells, PUBG, and Hades which I think was worth it.

My thinking is this is similar to Hades where during the last EGS it was 7 bucks, the cheapest it's ever been.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Tamba posted:

The Seamoth only goes to 800 meters with the final upgrade. You need to go deeper than that to finish the story.
You could walk all the way with the Prawn Suit and build deep bases instead of taking the Cyclops, I guess?

Oh, I will eventually use it, just felt really pained when I finally saw how huge and intricate it was and that I was 100% going to mess that beautiful thing somehow.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Subnautica is basically The Ocean's Pelagial album, but as a game.

If you liked Subnautica, get the instrumental version of that album, put on headphones, and sit in a quiet room and listen to it front to back.

Also, I have now played some Terraria and I wish it was more like Clonk. Especially the part where you could build a lift and pump liquids.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really want to play Subnautica and have had it installed forever, but I am almost certain it is going to make me motion sick as gently caress. I think I need to just take some anti-motionsickness pills and get through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I really want to play Subnautica and have had it installed forever, but I am almost certain it is going to make me motion sick as gently caress. I think I need to just take some anti-motionsickness pills and get through it.

So you haven't actually tried it to see?

Some games make me motion sick but the only reliable predictor I have is narrow FOVs.