Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1262023912264732673

We've reached the up-is-down, black-is-white part of the crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The typo gives the game away there huh

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

saintonan posted:

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1262023912264732673

We've reached the up-is-down, black-is-white part of the crisis.

This is totally possible. If the authorities don't actually look at any figures from areas that are reopening, they can't see them, and they can honestly say that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Il Federale posted:

The Great State of...Chile?

Yes, chile, just like you make out of ground meat without beans. Hook 'em horns, bevo, yellow rose, stars at night, oil, peas in a can pie alamode, loyally render slavish obedience unto the party-appointed masters until death and especially after, toast walker ranger, ten gallons of chicago-style pizza.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Il Federale posted:

The Great State of...Chile?

The Texas legislature wants you to stop using the Chilean flag emoji

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

I'm not sure whether to be amused or roll my eyes that someone wasted their time on this.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Il Federale posted:

I'm not sure whether to be amused or roll my eyes that someone wasted their time on this.

Why not both?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Il Federale posted:

Every moment the Texas Legislature wastes is a moment they can't gently caress things up more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Abbott's announcement in which he will undoubtedly continue easing restrictions is at 2 pm today

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

zoux posted:

Abbott's announcement in which he will undoubtedly continue easing restrictions is at 2 pm today

It didn't remotely get anywhere near the number he said it would for it to be considered safe to open but they were always going to go 50% capacity after the 18th regardless

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The goal is to have enough of Texas die off so people have no choice but to be at least 6 feet apart. Or 60 miles apart depending on where you live.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My HOA closed the pool in our community a while ago, and they're looking at reopening it today. Last night my neighbors all said gently caress it and jumped the fence and had a big rear end pool party.

People are just done with it. It's been 2 months and their attitude has to "gently caress it, some people are going to die, oh well"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mondays tend to be low days for case increases etc. but he'll have the benefit of making the call before today's data comes out.

We already know they're juking the stats by including antibody tests; the two biggest days of testing yet, including one day of a staggering 51k tests, more than double the previous testing record -> Observer story about mixing in antibody tests-> back to 13k tests.

This could be random and coincidental noise, but I also don't trust state leadership. I hate conspiratorial thinking but it's hard not to suspect they are at least putting a thumb on the scale to get better numbers.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

skipdogg posted:

My HOA closed the pool in our community a while ago, and they're looking at reopening it today. Last night my neighbors all said gently caress it and jumped the fence and had a big rear end pool party.

People are just done with it. It's been 2 months and their attitude has to "gently caress it, some people are going to die, oh well"

This. A lot of people I know who were all for the lockdown etc are getting to this point. I think for your average person 2 months is just about their limit. Unfortunately, even if this 2nd wave is big (it will be) I am not sure the public will accept going back into lockdown. I think we had one shot of getting everybody to cooperate while we got supplies and testing in place and our government squandered that time and people aren't going to go back into lockdown.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I mean, a big die-off should be good for offsetting unemployment at least :shrug:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Edit: Too ghoulish even for me. Sorry.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

LLSix posted:

Edit: Too ghoulish even for me. Sorry.

-me, regarding life in whole these days

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

This could be random and coincidental noise, but I also don't trust state leadership. I hate conspiratorial thinking but it's hard not to suspect they are at least putting a thumb on the scale to get better numbers.

Can't imagine where you might get the impression that state leadership isn't on the up-and-up...

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1262257093031202816

loving rear end in a top hat.

As I walked past the TV this morning, San Antonio local news was doing a bit on gyms reopening and had a reporter visiting a gym. The reporter and the gym manager were standing 4 feet from each other, no masks on. In the background there was one person in the gym, a big (and a don't mean muscular) man struggling to lift a moderately-sized dumbbell who was, to his credit, wearing a surgical mask.

The Rivard Report (a San Antonio nonprofit newspaper) had a reporter visit some malls over the weekend and look at mask compliance. They said that the outdoor Shops at La Cantera were fairly busy and a majority didn't bother with masks, but almost everyone they saw at another indoor mall were wearing masks, with the exception of a dude in a sleeveless Punisher shirt walking around slowly and making eye contact with everyone... because of course.

I knew this reopening would be handled poorly, but even in my cynicism I didn't appreciate just how poorly. Everything I've read says that masks can do a lot to cut transmission without forcing businesses to close, and yet the feds and state officials can't even ask their snowflake base to endure that most minor of inconveniences.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

Everything I've read says that masks can do a lot to cut transmission without forcing businesses to close, and yet the feds and state officials can't even ask their snowflake base to endure that most minor of inconveniences.

The bolded part is also not true, by the way. Like, yes, masks are somewhat effective at preventing you from spraying your droplets, but not to the extent that we could safety reopen even if everyone wore masks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blotto_Otter posted:

Can't imagine where you might get the impression that state leadership isn't on the up-and-up...

As I walked past the TV this morning, San Antonio local news was doing a bit on gyms reopening and had a reporter visiting a gym. The reporter and the gym manager were standing 4 feet from each other, no masks on. In the background there was one person in the gym, a big (and a don't mean muscular) man struggling to lift a moderately-sized dumbbell who was, to his credit, wearing a surgical mask.

The Rivard Report (a San Antonio nonprofit newspaper) had a reporter visit some malls over the weekend and look at mask compliance. They said that the outdoor Shops at La Cantera were fairly busy and a majority didn't bother with masks, but almost everyone they saw at another indoor mall were wearing masks, with the exception of a dude in a sleeveless Punisher shirt walking around slowly and making eye contact with everyone... because of course.

I knew this reopening would be handled poorly, but even in my cynicism I didn't appreciate just how poorly. Everything I've read says that masks can do a lot to cut transmission without forcing businesses to close, and yet the feds and state officials can't even ask their snowflake base to endure that most minor of inconveniences.

Look if they said businesses had to have masks to open, then businesses would have to pay for and provide ppe for their employees. And we just cant hurt profit like that.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

The bolded part is also not true, by the way. Like, yes, masks are somewhat effective at preventing you from spraying your droplets, but not to the extent that we could safety reopen even if everyone wore masks.

Also all the people who really want to reopen are vehemently anti-mask anyway.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Mondays tend to be low days for case increases etc. but he'll have the benefit of making the call before today's data comes out.

We already know they're juking the stats by including antibody tests; the two biggest days of testing yet, including one day of a staggering 51k tests, more than double the previous testing record -> Observer story about mixing in antibody tests-> back to 13k tests.

I think there has been a substantial cut in transmission but also absolutely believe that the tests are being intentionally diluted to massage the positive numbers.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see the actual testing numbers (without antibody tests) until long after things go sideways.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of horrible implications of the US having the largest fatality rate out of any other country. You could technically skew your perspective to make a lot of them positive, but it's always awful.

Housing might become cheaper after decrease in demand. Outrage against Republicans for their amazing levels of often-purposeful incompetence could change the political landscape, but it's hard to know how that will factor against the deaths and one of the greatest opportunity for voter suppression in history. According to a lot of polls and data, most people are in favor of quarantine, although the (probably funded) aggression with which the anti-quarantine assholes are acting, it's hard to feel certain.

Economically, a reduction in the amount of people would mean a reduction in overall utility, and a corresponding loss of influence of the US, and within the US, whatever state does worse will see a reduction of its influence within the nation. Will that be Texas? Will Florida beat it out? Will more heavily urbanized states like New York retain their lead despite taking more stringent measures? Only time will tell.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Blotto_Otter posted:

Huh, weird. I'm in San Antonio but it seems like everyone in my area is wearing a mask when they're out doing stuff. I think I've only seen one guy get pissed off about it and leave a store as a result. My friends in west Texas (Big Spring/Midland/Odessa) say it's basically non-existent there though.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Went to HEB in Austin yesterday, everyone was wearing masks, staying away from each other etc. Atmosphere seemed less oppressive but that might just be me getting used to the circumstances. Maybe the dieoffs will be primarily chuds :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Press conf. link if you want to act surprised

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Il Federale posted:

Huh, weird. I'm in San Antonio but it seems like everyone in my area is wearing a mask when they're out doing stuff. I think I've only seen one guy get pissed off about it and leave a store as a result. My friends in west Texas (Big Spring/Midland/Odessa) say it's basically non-existent there though.

I'm just going by anecdotes, so maybe (hopefully) it's better than it seems from the brief bits of news I ingested this morning. For what it's worth, everyone at my office (a small accounting firm) has been good about wearing masks when in the office building.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself

Il Federale posted:

In a humorous coincidence, I was living in California at the time and was back on a trip to visit my rents in San Antonio. On those trips, I always borrowed their car when I was staying with them. Filling up the gas on the borrowed car one day, I finally looked at the Texas flag on the back of their car (I'd been driving part time for years on trips home), and it was the Chilean flag. Having that conversation with my proud Texan father was hilarious (and argumentative) but the next morning the that flag was removed, heh

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Phase II:

"personal services businesses" allowed to open (full list at OpenTexas web site)
office buildings can open at 25% capacity
childcare services can also open, including Boys/Girls Club and YMCA

restaurants can expand to 50% capacity
bars and other alcohol-related businesses (wine tastings, etc.) can open to 25% capacity
capacity limits do not apply to outdoor locations with safe distancing practices

May 31 is Phase III:
Youth sports camps and little league
All summer camps
professional and local sporting activities

Summer school may commence June 1 with safe distancing practices

Amarillo and El Paso are currently "paused" due to not meeting COVID reduction requirements
Dates above are one week later for those two areas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's effectively the end of state restrictions on businesses in Texas.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So many loving people in this state are going to die

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Abbott's speech strongly implied that the only remaining significant sources of COVID in Texas are nursing homes, jails, and meat packing plants.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Spaced God posted:

coexist baby

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Look forward to TABC vigorously cracking down on even the smallest of violations of the 25% occupancy or social distancing in gay bars while completely ignoring the packed good ol' boy watering hole.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

saintonan posted:

Abbott's speech strongly implied that the only remaining significant sources of COVID in Texas are nursing homes, jails, and meat packing plants.

Good thing for us that those things are all housed on another planet and nurses, prison guards, and meatpackers never interact with any other members of society

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Look forward to TABC vigorously cracking down on even the smallest of violations of the 25% occupancy or social distancing in gay bars while completely ignoring the packed good ol' boy watering hole.

The breasteraunt next to my job has been packed every night for a week

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

saintonan posted:

Well when those are the only places being tested...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

i say swears online posted:

The breasteraunt next to my job has been packed every night for a week

Good word choice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/James_Barragan/status/1262489433380618240

I thought he used the present tense so he could come back later and say "When I said we weren't, we weren't because we stopped the day before" Turns out he's just full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 7, 2020