Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FAUXTON posted:

https://drinkarchetype.com/collections/archetype-coffee/products/competition-series-finca-inmaculada-coffee-eugenioides

You want to give it a little extra time to extract but it's like no other coffee I've ever tried - there's a really nice chocolatey note that goes all the way through from nose to palate and it finishes with something almost like steamed-with-a-hint-of-scald milk. If it wasn't the equivalent of $120 per pound I'd try more stuff with it but for now I'm just kinda trying one cup at a time.

E: the beans are so tiny compared to normal coffee

Nice. Bit rich for my blood to import, but I’d consider if I could roast it myself. Really cool stuff.

Between this and C. charrieriana, interesting times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Munkaboo posted:

What's your Budget?

Probably not more than $200. I was leaning towards the Knock Aergrind given it’s good value.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

i own every Bionicle posted:

Thanks! I’ll do my next coffee order from them and get a bag. Perhaps if interest in it grows enough we’ll see it become more available.

Edit: how do you recommend brewing? Was thinking French press or Aeropress for more control over the extraction time?

I used a clever dripper for the same reason but I had the wrong idea of how fast it'd drain so the extra minute I gave it steeping was lost in how fast it drained.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

i own every Bionicle posted:

Please post if and when you find it, I’d love to try it too.

Onyx had one very recently - sign up for their newsletter and grab it next time. I wish I had grabbed it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Red_Fred posted:

Probably not more than $200. I was leaning towards the Knock Aergrind given it’s good value.

Get a Helor, Commandante mk3 or a Lido.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

James Hoffman tested all the fancy ones and he likes the Kinu the best overall. But he also says they are all very similar in performance so I'd get the cheaper one. I love my LIDO but adjusting the grind size is a pain in the rear end to the point where I don't do it anymore. I'd probably avoid the Kinu for now as well because they want to charge another $40 to get a pour over burr upgrade. The default burrs are designed more for espresso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9OuRl1F3k

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 16, 2020

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Ive got the Lido E but would definitely prefer the commandante or Helor.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

red19fire posted:

I’ve been using the same metal pour over filter for several years. (I think it was by Hario but it’s similar to this one) I keep it clean, soap and water after every use, occasional dishwasher cycle. Lately, it completely clogs up about halfway through the pour process. It flows fine for the first minute, then slows to a drop at a time until it stops entirely with 1/4 of the water left in the basket.

At first I thought it was scale, so I soaked it in vinegar overnight, with no change. I then thought it was my consumer tier kitchenaid grinder putting too much fine grounds into the mix so I tried my hand grinder at a similar setting, same thing.

Of course, I think it’s a great excuse to get a new grinder, but what else could it be? Do metal filters just go bad?

Or, maybe I shouldn’t clean it with soap anymore?

I have no experience with this particular issue, but have you tried using Bar Keeper's Friend? It tends to be pretty good at cleaning metal kitchen things.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

It's recommended to pretty much always roast outdoors, right?

Do most people start out with a whirley pop?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

It's recommended to pretty much always roast outdoors, right?

Do most people start out with a whirley pop?

If you don't, you'll set off smoke detectors in the best case and smoke out your house (in a bad way) in the worst case...unless you have a practically commercial vent hood. It's pretty gnarly. Popcorn machines can work, but so will a metal bowl and a heat gun (the latter will let you do slightly larger batches).

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I've got two kids at home with quarantine and zero time but I do wanna get into it.

Seems like good options are:

Whirley pop and buy electric hot plate
Hot air popper
Bowl and heat gun
Comedy buy a behmor

Thoughts?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Whirley pop is great, but if you don't have a stove then idk.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I've got a stove, just wouldn't want to use my indoor stove for it for reasons mentioned above.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I point a box fan out the window, turn my hood fan on high, and take the battery out of the smoke detector. But I live by myself so YMMV.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I did popcorn machine to start probably 20-30 times but then quickly moved to heat gun / dog bowl. I went from roasting 100g to 300g. Much more convenient, better roasts I found. Also you can ramp the heat up or down with a heat gun, which you can't really do as well with the popcorn machine.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Also make sure to get at least a 2000W heatgun. Was using an old 1200W one at first and it got so much easier with the extra watts

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
HG/DB here too, but I usually do smaller batches (~130g) but it's super easy. I'd definitely want to do it outside even if I had a powerful hood, the chaff that comes off is pretty crazy on some varieties.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Is there a better place online to get green coffee then sweet Maria's? It costs 9$ to ship a pound which makes it close to roaster costs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Buy more than a pound? Green coffee keeps. Alternately check around in your area.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My local roaster mayorga organics sells green coffee too. They always have a deal of you order over $50 you get free shipping.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Munkaboo posted:

Is there a better place online to get green coffee then sweet Maria's? It costs 9$ to ship a pound which makes it close to roaster costs.

ebay*

*better in this case meaning cheaper

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

mediaphage posted:

If you don't, you'll set off smoke detectors in the best case and smoke out your house (in a bad way) in the worst case...unless you have a practically commercial vent hood. It's pretty gnarly. Popcorn machines can work, but so will a metal bowl and a heat gun (the latter will let you do slightly larger batches).

Isn't there also a serious fire safety issue with roasting indoors?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You’ll blow lots and lots of chaff everywhere if you’re using a popcorn machine or heat gun/dog bowl. It’s theoretically possible that it could spark and ignite something but really it just makes a gigantic mess

e: unless you are dumb and blast your beans until they are literally on fire :rip:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 19, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nivdes posted:

Isn't there also a serious fire safety issue with roasting indoors?

Eh, define serious. I'd argue it's less dangerous than a deep fryer, especially if you're doing one of the hack roasting methods. Even the purpose-built roasters are generally less likely to start fires than a toaster oven if you're paying attention.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've roasted in my normal oven on a sheet pan before. It's a mess but it never occurred to me that it was dangerous. Not any more than roasting a turkey.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I've roasted in my normal oven on a sheet pan before. It's a mess but it never occurred to me that it was dangerous. Not any more than roasting a turkey.

Agree. But then, you’ll have those who want to deep fry frozen turkeys on their counter.

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

mediaphage posted:

Eh, define serious. I'd argue it's less dangerous than a deep fryer, especially if you're doing one of the hack roasting methods. Even the purpose-built roasters are generally less likely to start fires than a toaster oven if you're paying attention.

I know it's different with purpose-built roasters, seeing as most commercial roasters operate indoors, but I've always understood roasting coffee with air poppers and whatnot to be a huge fire hazard.

Mu Zeta posted:

It helps that ovens are also designed to contain fires provided you don't do anything stupid (i.e. open the door when a fire is raging in it)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nivdes posted:

It helps that ovens are also designed to contain fires provided you don't do anything stupid (i.e. open the door when a fire is raging in it)

Well how else are you gonna throw a handful of flour onto the fire to put it out

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nivdes posted:

I know it's different with purpose-built roasters, seeing as most commercial roasters operate indoors, but I've always understood roasting coffee with air poppers and whatnot to be a huge fire hazard.

Like I said, the level of hazard depends on the user, in all seriousness. If you're remotely paying attention, it's not a fire hazard at all. If you're the type to walk away from a skillet full of grease while the stove's on, maybe don't roast coffee inside.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Good call on ordering more than a pound. Got Ethiopia Organic Sidama Keramo and Ethiopia Dry Process Suke Quto Daannisa from Sweet Maria's.

Also got a Furno 500 heat gun from home depot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

Good call on ordering more than a pound. Got Ethiopia Organic Sidama Keramo and Ethiopia Dry Process Suke Quto Daannisa from Sweet Maria's.

Also got a Furno 500 heat gun from home depot.

I've ordered sidamas before (from a different source) and really enjoyed it.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Nephzinho posted:

Does a fine job once you figure out how to cycle the machine just right. I really should've installed a PID.
Yeah, I've had my Silvia for a little over a month now and am wavering on either installing a PID, or upgrading even further to something completely buck wild like the Rocket Appartamento. I'm getting consistently good shots, but the steam wand is still an inconsistent, sputtering nightmare.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Abner Assington posted:

Yeah, I've had my Silvia for a little over a month now and am wavering on either installing a PID, or upgrading even further to something completely buck wild like the Rocket Appartamento. I'm getting consistently good shots, but the steam wand is still an inconsistent, sputtering nightmare.

I just installed a PID on my Gaggia Classic, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll have to find time for an effort post on it later, but it seems much more consistent in the taste.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I mean, there's definitely user error still on my part, so there's that. I think the totally rudimentary design of the Silvia is both awesome (because simple, well-built things are cool) and infuriating (because the only thing on the machine to tell me it's at a certain temperature is a goddamn orange light and it isn't entirely accurate, suffice to say).

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Abner Assington posted:

I mean, there's definitely user error still on my part, so there's that. I think the totally rudimentary design of the Silvia is both awesome (because simple, well-built things are cool) and infuriating (because the only thing on the machine to tell me it's at a certain temperature is a goddamn orange light and it isn't entirely accurate, suffice to say).

This is why I bought one and installed it. I've had my Gaggia for years now, I got it as a gift. I was alright at making espresso with it, but it wasn't until recently I had time to really learn how to try to pull good shots. I did a lot of research and noticed how what I was doing was affected more than I thought by the temperature. The PID seems to have solved that, and it also adds a couple things that I probably would never really bother with like automatic shot timing/pre infusion (although I plan to take another morning to eventually figure these out).

The install took me a few hours as I am not the most mechanically savvy person but it taught me exactly what you said - these machines are very simple. I also used the opportunity to turn down the OPV to get me closer to 9 bars instead of the Classic's standard setting of something like 11 or 12. In my cost/benefit analysis, it made sense to me to keep with what I have and pay the 200 bucks for this (and another ~50 for other things like a bottomless portafilter and new gaskets and such). If I wanted to get better experiences with a stand alone machine, I'd have to come out of pocket nearly 10 times that much. I like espresso, but not that much.

Separate question for the group - now that I have a bottomless portafilter basket, I get to see how my tamping method is pretty terrible. The puck gets channeled and I spurt out espresso in every direction, so I've been reading up on portafilter distributors, these gadgets that basically try to evenly spread the espresso in the basket. I've even watched a couple videos where some people are saying they are ditching tamping altogether and will just stick with the distributor. What has been the hive mind's experience with these? Some of them are pretty expensive...

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Just buy a cheap one from ebay/aliexpress/amazon. I bought one and was surprised at the difference it made. I used to stir with a cocktail stick to break up clumps then bang the portafilter to distribute but now I just grind into the portafilter and spin the thing. It pretty much completely stopped any channeling I used to get. I still like to tamp to get a flat top to the puck although I don't know if it makes much difference.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

There have been studies that show that distributors actually serve to lower extraction, not increase it. So take any pro-distributor testimonials with a grain of salt.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Homie S posted:

This is why I bought one and installed it. I've had my Gaggia for years now, I got it as a gift. I was alright at making espresso with it, but it wasn't until recently I had time to really learn how to try to pull good shots. I did a lot of research and noticed how what I was doing was affected more than I thought by the temperature. The PID seems to have solved that, and it also adds a couple things that I probably would never really bother with like automatic shot timing/pre infusion (although I plan to take another morning to eventually figure these out).

The install took me a few hours as I am not the most mechanically savvy person but it taught me exactly what you said - these machines are very simple. I also used the opportunity to turn down the OPV to get me closer to 9 bars instead of the Classic's standard setting of something like 11 or 12. In my cost/benefit analysis, it made sense to me to keep with what I have and pay the 200 bucks for this (and another ~50 for other things like a bottomless portafilter and new gaskets and such). If I wanted to get better experiences with a stand alone machine, I'd have to come out of pocket nearly 10 times that much. I like espresso, but not that much.
I ended up getting a bottomless filter within a week of getting the Silvia just so I could diagnose what I was doing wrong with my shot pulling.

I should look into a PID but, like you, I'm also not entirely savvy with that kind of work. I do have a budget for something like an Appartamento (what money I'd saved for travel, which isn't exactly happening any time soon), and am down with a machine that can pull a shot and steam simultaneously, but I don't know if I want to spend the money like that (an ongoing battle in my head for the last few weeks).

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Abner Assington posted:

I ended up getting a bottomless filter within a week of getting the Silvia just so I could diagnose what I was doing wrong with my shot pulling.

I should look into a PID but, like you, I'm also not entirely savvy with that kind of work. I do have a budget for something like an Appartamento (what money I'd saved for travel, which isn't exactly happening any time soon), and am down with a machine that can pull a shot and steam simultaneously, but I don't know if I want to spend the money like that (an ongoing battle in my head for the last few weeks).

Agreed, it's a personal decision, and the other thing that went into my choice was that I'm not a big latte drinker and I usually just drink double shot espresso. If I was more into doing other styles of drinks I'd probably give it closer attention. I've got a steam wand, although it's considered the worst one in the industry...

Gunder posted:

There have been studies that show that distributors actually serve to lower extraction, not increase it. So take any pro-distributor testimonials with a grain of salt.

Good to know, thanks. Perhaps the distribution + tamper method may be best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Abner Assington posted:

So, I think I've installed around 40 PIDs at this point in my career, mostly on Silvias (two of those were my personal machines) but also the occasional Gaggia Classic or Ascaso Dream. It's often difficult for me to quantify how "easy" a given repair would be for the layperson, but installing a PID on a Silvia, is very very easy (provided you've purchased an all-in-one kit designed for it). All you're doing is attaching wires and a few small components; you'll need a couple different screwdrivers and 2-4 hours. I almost exclusively use the kits from Auber Instruments; they have a wide variety of options (get the pre-infusion), great documentation and support if you need it. Yes you can DIY a PID from Ebay parts or whatever for a lot cheaper, but only if you don't value your time because programming them is no small feat. And if, in the end, you find the PID isn't enough and you need to replace the machine, Silvias hold their resale value very well and you just added about $200 to yours.

Homie S posted:

Good to know, thanks. Perhaps the distribution + tamper method may be best?
I'd suggest you play around with the different options and find what works best for you. Whatever the outcome of that (uncited) study was might not be relevant to your setup, or desired outcome.