Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

doctorfrog posted:

Not enough lens flare, lights pointed directly in the face, and transparent plastic. We’re supposed to believe this is the future???

Tighclops posted:

floodlights pointing out of the bulkheads at eye level is so stupid who thinks that's cool looking

Are you guys eight feet tall? Those lights are above all the monitors and there are chairs below them anyway so people aren't standing there.

Another cool little detail though is those colored data sticks or whatever that are very evocative of the data tapes TOS used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Just finished ds9 again, I remember the bit with dukat and winn and the whole war and the conclusion of that whole deal, but I totally forgot that Sisko just fucks off to become a god kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I know he's all like "I'll be back baby someday, maybe tomorrow, maybe yesterday" but gently caress, then he doesn't even say goodbye to his own son.

I don't think I liked anything about the prophets. I wasn't much of a fan of how they were gods to the Bajorans but didn't pay them any mind, it was really creepy how they went back and possessed a woman to become Sisko's absentee mom, and their secondary finale with Dukat in hell was just superfluous.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I think the delta flyer pilot uniforms were underrated in terms of star trek uniforms, I think it only shows up in one episode (VOY's Drive) but had some interesting things going on for a dress-y functional flight suit.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Humerus posted:

Are you guys eight feet tall? Those lights are above all the monitors and there are chairs below them anyway so people aren't standing there.

Another cool little detail though is those colored data sticks or whatever that are very evocative of the data tapes TOS used.

Sorry I didn't mean the NX 01 bridge when I was talking about the flood lights sticking out of the walls

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

piratepilates posted:

I think the delta flyer pilot uniforms were underrated in terms of star trek uniforms, I think it only shows up in one episode (VOY's Drive) but had some interesting things going on for a dress-y functional flight suit.

White collar is gonna generally look bad on caucasian people.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Yeah these look way better than the regular Voyager uniforms and I feel like they could have worked as dress uniforms for that style but when DS9 was still in the Voyager uniforms their dress ones were the TNG tunics because I guess nobody could be bothered to design new ones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

piratepilates posted:

Arglebargle III posted:

White collar is gonna generally look bad on caucasian people.

Yeah, white usually never works for Trek uniforms. Just look at the TNG film dress uniforms or anything from TMP. It’d look pretty solid if you changed the white, removed the big square zipper seam on the tops, and added a belt or something in the middle to break up the pajama look.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
White is a perfect color for Starfleet personnel of all races.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

White is a perfect color for Starfleet personnel of all races.

I’m enjoying going through all variations of Star Trek for the first time, but so far nothing besides TNG has come close to the perfection of those first four films.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, white usually never works for Trek uniforms. Just look at the TNG film dress uniforms or anything from TMP. It’d look pretty solid if you changed the white, removed the big square zipper seam on the tops, and added a belt or something in the middle to break up the pajama look.

TMP is an outlier and the color is in no way why those uniforms sucked poo poo

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I’m enjoying going through all variations of Star Trek for the first time, but so far nothing besides TNG has come close to the perfection of those first four films.

:yeah:

I've seen people new to the franchise say that they just dont "get" the TOS movies after watching them for the first time. I mean obviously enjoy the thing the way you wanna enjoy it, but I never really know what they mean by that.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Drone posted:

:yeah:

I've seen people new to the franchise say that they just dont "get" the TOS movies after watching them for the first time. I mean obviously enjoy the thing the way you wanna enjoy it, but I never really know what they mean by that.

It doesn't make sense. TOS is slow, WoK is what the studios wanted, Star Trek 3 is why most of those movies have a year or two time skip, Star Trek 4 is why you dont need a time skip

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Star Trek is probably the weirdest movie franchise I can think of, in terms of # of movies vs. how many different styles and tones they've covered. Pretty much every single one of the pre-JJ movies feels totally different. There are plenty of other franchises where they settle on a different tone after the first movie, but Trek never really settles.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

Star Trek is probably the weirdest movie franchise I can think of, in terms of # of movies vs. how many different styles and tones they've covered. Pretty much every single one of the pre-JJ movies feels totally different. There are plenty of other franchises where they settle on a different tone after the first movie, but Trek never really settles.

A lot of that is the constant changes in directors. Bob Wise was always a maker of ponderous films. Nick Meyer was a relative newbie. Nimoy was a drunk and a TV director. Shatner was overly ambitious. Carson, too, was a TV guy, as was Frakes. Stuart Baird was a career film editor.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

That's what makes it great, it's like a movie anthology series -- and why the JJtrek manic action blockbuster attempts 1, 2 and 3 are so disappointing taken as a whole.

I always felt the X-Men films had a similar potential to embrace different genres in each installment, but Fox was too married to the staple comic book action format to really let them breathe. Deadpool and Logan did but those were spinoffs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McSpanky posted:

That's what makes it great, it's like a movie anthology series -- and why the JJtrek manic action blockbuster attempts 1, 2 and 3 are so disappointing taken as a whole.

I always felt the X-Men films had a similar potential to embrace different genres in each installment, but Fox was too married to the staple comic book action format to really let them breathe. Deadpool and Logan did but those were spinoffs.

Whenever New Mutants hits (which will be the last before the mcu reboots them), they’ll get horror, apparently.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The_Doctor posted:

Whenever New Mutants hits (which will be the last before the mcu reboots them), they’ll get horror, apparently.

the new Dr. Strange was supposed to be a horror movie too, but the director left over creative differences, so who knows if that is the case anymore.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I saw the first JJ Trek movie in theaters; at the time I wasn't into Trek at all beyond the snippets of TNG remembered from my childhood. I remember kind of enjoying it.

We tried to re-watch it last night and we made it to the "space jump onto the drilling platform" scene before we switched to something else. Yikes.

I've heard awful things about Into Darkness, is Beyond worth trying to watch or is it more of the same hardcore JJ action?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

the new Dr. Strange was supposed to be a horror movie too, but the director left over creative differences, so who knows if that is the case anymore.

He was replaced by Sam Raimi. I'm sure it'll have plenty of horror influence.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So I saw the first JJ Trek movie in theaters; at the time I wasn't into Trek at all beyond the snippets of TNG remembered from my childhood. I remember kind of enjoying it.

We tried to re-watch it last night and we made it to the "space jump onto the drilling platform" scene before we switched to something else. Yikes.

I've heard awful things about Into Darkness, is Beyond worth trying to watch or is it more of the same hardcore JJ action?

Beyond is worth watching

It's not classic trek, but it's trek, and it's got some genuinely great scenes

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Beyond is at least as good as the lesser TOS movies, definitely worth a watch.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Beyond also has an identifiable (though not a particularly novel or strong one, but it's definitely there) moral to it that is very Star Trek. I don't think a Trek movie has had one since... uh...??? Insurrection maybe? And before that uhhhhhhhh... The Voyage Home?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I assume no critical info from Into Darkness is necessary?

I know JJ gets poo poo for lens flares etc. but holy poo poo I was not feeling 09 at all.
I also really hated how heavy-handed the references were: check it out, Kirk is sleeping with a green-skinned lady! Get it everyone, his nickname is "bones" because his wife took everything else in the divorce! Oi.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nothing really carries over from ID, no

There is actually a time skip between ID and Beyond of about 3 years

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 18, 2020

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
You not only don't need to know anything critical from Into Darkness, if you watch Beyond directly after 09 you would have no idea there was a movie inbetween them.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I assume no critical info from Into Darkness is necessary?

I still haven't seen Into Darkness and I didn't have any trouble with Beyond. I think they mentioned someone from ID once to explain why they weren't in Beyond in the opening Captain's Log.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I know JJ gets poo poo for lens flares etc. but holy poo poo I was not feeling 09 at all.
I also really hated how heavy-handed the references were: check it out, Kirk is sleeping with a green-skinned lady! Get it everyone, his nickname is "bones" because his wife took everything else in the divorce! Oi.

There's no critical info in Into Darkness, so you're all set to go.

Seriously, that movie is almost a complete retread of 09's character arcs with added KHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN~! and a touch of 9/11 trutherism that doesn't quite mask JJ's inability to follow through on anything.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the info!

-sent from my 23rd-century Nokia carphone in my 20th-century muscle car

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Into Darkness was the only movie I can recall leaving the theater feeling angry over

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I remember after seeing Into Darkness (I was wearing a Star Trek uniform shirt) this random guy sitting in the same row went over and asked what I thought and I was like "well Khan seemed unnecessary and kind of racist to have a white guy play him" and he was like "well the original Khan wasn't Indian either" and I kind of shrugged and said but he wasn't white either.

Also still pissed about JJTrek giving Sulu a space katana after he specifically said his training was fencing. And Takei had originally suggested a foil in The Naked Time because a Japanese sword was kinda racist. See also: that comic posted a page or two ago.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still laugh heartily at the idea that JJ Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman apparently had no idea “Bones” was short for “sawbones” and never once bothered to even do a cursory google search to find out.

That line in ST09 is so bad, too. Easily one of the worst in the entire trilogy.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still laugh heartily at the idea that JJ Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman ... never once bothered to even do a cursory google search to find out.

It explains a lot of decisions in JJ's movies, and the others' writing work. Write once, shoot once, cash the checks twice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The "damnit Jim I'm a doctor not a ____" that occurs a few minutes later is equally forced and cringey.

Honestly it just straight-up feels like they told JJ "make a space action movie but here's a list of references and throwbacks you gotta work in" and nobody involved did any research as to the origin or context of those references. At least with Star Wars you can tell there were a few canon nerds making their voices heard during production.

e: my path through Trek is still incomplete (havent seen S2/3 of TOS or the movies, TAS or most of Enterprise) but I think it's a tidy circle where 11 years ago I walked out of '09 thinking "is that what Star Trek is?" and yesterday I was able to complete the thought with a resounding "jesus christ, no"

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 18, 2020

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Stumbled across this clip from Voyager Season 6, and now I'm mad all over again about the series finale. That one clip had more emotional impact than the series closer. God damnit.

I love Barclay.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That one scene in Beyond (yes, that scene) I think actually justifies the existence of the reboot franchise. It all kind of comes together: big space action, Star Trek cultural callbacks, finding strange new worlds. Like hey, now it actually works. It shouldn't have taken 3 movies to get there, but it worked. It's not the best Trek, but it's a reasonable Star Trek for the current summer blockbuster era.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love Beyond, warts and all. It finally felt like that cast had found their own distinct voice and tone, so of course we’ll never get a 4th film.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The character stuff in Beyond is good but the plot is a mess and a complete waste of Idris Elba.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd say Beyond is easily the best Trek movie since First Contact, and also that isn't a high bar to clear.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zaroff posted:

There’s also the idea that they can easily travel in time by flying round a sun (to the extent they do it for shits and giggles under the guise of historical research), however post TOS this was completely forgotten as a reliable way of time travel. Would’ve let Voyager get home in Future’s End, for one...

There are TNG production memos that strongly imply that it was ambiguous as to how much of TOS had actually happened in TNG's past; Rick Sternbach pretty much says "depending on whether we're considering the time travel in TOS and Star Trek 4 to have happened in our series" in at least a couple of memos to writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Beyond was co-written by Simon Pegg, so it's more nerdy and interesting than the other Abrams Treks