Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Giving places like modesto and bakersfield some infrastructure and interconnectivity may help to redirect some of the projected growth to those cities rather than just piling more and more into a totally saturated area like the SF bay.

I’ve found people on the coasts dramatically underestimate how many people live on the 99 corridor between Bakersfield and Merced. And there’s so much room to expand. Communities like Tulare suddenly look a lot more appealing when you can commute to Fresno or Bakersfield in 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tacier posted:

I’ve found people on the coasts dramatically underestimate how many people live on the 99 corridor between Bakersfield and Merced. And there’s so much room to expand. Communities like Tulare suddenly look a lot more appealing when you can commute to Fresno or Bakersfield in 20 minutes.
Unless the fares are reasonable it won't matter. What's the point of trains when they're more expensive and slower than catching a flight? And likewise, who's going to spend $1000+ a month to commute to work on the train?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Flight costs will rise when airports hit capacity, and if we ever start properly taxing fuel or doing much about climate change. But it's a fair point, that the HSR is probably going to cost enough that commuting a hundred miles a day on it is only for the quite wealthy.

It's not just about daily commutes, though. What if you just needed to go in to work two or three times a month?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Infinite Karma posted:

Unless the fares are reasonable it won't matter. What's the point of trains when they're more expensive and slower than catching a flight? And likewise, who's going to spend $1000+ a month to commute to work on the train?

I mean, people already spend $600/mo on Caltrain

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Trains and Planes run all over the rest of the world in tandem and people ride both, dunno why that wouldn't be the case here if we had them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Goodpancakes posted:

Trains and Planes run all over the rest of the world in tandem and people ride both, dunno why that wouldn't be the case here if we had them.

Subsidies

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

If you price it right people will take the train. In OC metrolink is like $8 to go anywhere in the county and is almost as fast as just driving. It's also great for going to the bars or a baseball game because you don't have to worry about how you're going to get home.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Excuse my rant but holy hell I am never clicking on another SF Gate link. Every article has an unrelated autoplay video and if you try to close it, it keeps playing and says "closing video" for a couple seconds. Then a larger unclosable version of the video embeds in the body of the article.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sfgate is clickbait ad garbage. Sfchronicle.com is the actual news.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Class Warcraft posted:

If you price it right people will take the train. In OC metrolink is like $8 to go anywhere in the county and is almost as fast as just driving. It's also great for going to the bars or a baseball game because you don't have to worry about how you're going to get home.
Well yeah, that's priced right. The Metrolink, and stuff like BART are priced affordably. It would be insane to price the HSR higher than air travel (which the HSR managers seem to think is the price point?), I don't understand how that pencils out unless 60% of every ticket is going directly into the pocket of a bank that invested in the project.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ah yes, Surely a citizen of a county in the top 20 wealthiest zipcodes has a note worthy take on whether to re-open the economy or not.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Please direct your complaints about the freefalling economic catastrophe to D.C., thank you

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
He probably owns the truck I saw by the lumber yard with a shitload of Q-ANON stickers.

People around here seem to be wearing masks inside or in crowds, but not when hiking. They're reopening some of the parks and trails on Monday, but keeping the super popular ones closed. Trying to encourage people to stay spread out and hike in their own area.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 17, 2020

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ah yes, Surely a citizen of a county in the top 20 wealthiest zipcodes has a note worthy take on whether to re-open the economy or not.

fun fact, marin county does have a few poor areas hidden in the sea of wealthy avocado baron estates, like the canal area of san rafael wheres theres some working class latino people, or marin city, wheres theres public housing with 90% of the county's black residents (like the rest of the bay area black people mostly first arrived during WWII to work in the shipyards, and then got confined to certain areas by redlining and psycho nazi whiteys threatening and attacking them). Tupac used to live in Marin City, he used to hang out with these dudes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRd1mAe_mOo

america is a land of contrasts :heritage:

also lol marin :sad:

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

The Glumslinger posted:

People around here seem to be wearing masks inside or in crowds, but not when hiking. They're reopening some of the parks and trails on Monday, but keeping the super popular ones closed. Trying to encourage people to stay spread out and hike in their own area.

Have people been directed by the county to wear a mask when exercising/hiking? My county doesn't require it, but does for being indoors or when social distancing isn't possible. Mostly people seem to be doing what they are told around here.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Boot and Rally posted:

Have people been directed by the county to wear a mask when exercising/hiking? My county doesn't require it, but does for being indoors or when social distancing isn't possible. Mostly people seem to be doing what they are told around here.

I think LA is requiring masks while hiking, they put out a pretty blanket mask requirement

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm in Sacramento and saw yesterday that the riverfront was completely packed with people splashing about, barbecuing, and hanging out on the sand. I expect us to spike soon.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm in Sacramento and saw yesterday that the riverfront was completely packed with people splashing about, barbecuing, and hanging out on the sand. I expect us to spike soon.

I bike into my office downtown during the week and there has been people on the riverfront pretty much any day it's not raining, and it's been like that for the past month. They should have just bitten the bullet and closed the parks/beaches in the area.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

They should have just bitten the bullet and closed the parks/beaches in the area.
You and I both know any implementation of this will also involve a hamfisted shutting down of the american river bike trail, and you'll have to use ca-160 to get across the river.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

CopperHound posted:

You and I both know any implementation of this will also involve a hamfisted shutting down of the american river bike trail, and you'll have to use ca-160 to get across the river.

Horrifying. Ok I take it back.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Well it seems like new cases in the Bay area are decreasing with the peak around April 1st.

https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/

Still a ways from the criteria to allow a lift to SiP, but it's promising.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Also, the public in general is still well in support of Newsom - at least based on a poll from LATimes from May 1. Republicans are actually divided on their support of Newsom while Dems and independents are strong in support.

https://www.latimes.com./politics/story/2020-05-01/partisan-split-coronavirus-newsom-approval-poll

(Remember the "com." jumps the paywall).

Neither of my two posts are really news, but I want to keep it in mind that things are going kinda well, at least well relative to a major economic depression and global pandemic. Like we've fallen off a building and broken a few bones and need some help but at least we're not the guy in Texas or Arkansas that fell on some spikes. I'm trying to be optimistic if you couldn't tell...

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 18, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

When the balkanization comes California will be united under the cool, smooth hand of our robo-governor.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Robot overlords really were the answer all along.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Also, the public in general is still well in support of Newsom - at least based on a poll from LATimes from May 1. Republicans are actually divided on their support of Newsom while Dems and independents are strong in support.

https://www.latimes.com./politics/story/2020-05-01/partisan-split-coronavirus-newsom-approval-poll

(Remember the "com." jumps the paywall).

Neither of my two posts are really news, but I want to keep it in mind that things are going kinda well, at least well relative to a major economic depression and global pandemic. Like we've fallen off a building and broken a few bones and need some help but at least we're not the guy in Texas or Arkansas that fell on some spikes. I'm trying to be optimistic if you couldn't tell...

Yeah, look at the steady but slowly decreasing rates of infections in CA compared to places like AZ and TX which are still accelerating and full of people who would be out there protesting today if they didn't flee the state 5 years ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I drove by one of those protests on Saturday out here in Rancho Cucamonga and it was literally right outside of a Cheesecake Factory.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

FCKGW posted:

I drove by one of those protests on Saturday out here in Rancho Cucamonga and it was literally right outside of a Cheesecake Factory.

Suburban_Republicans.txt

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

FCKGW posted:

This reminds me that the Cheesecaked Factory didn't pay rent for any of its locations in April.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's Comrade Cheesecake Factory to you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1262370919240003584

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What dumbass is diving from Olympia to loving NorCal for a haircut lmao.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Probably some Patriot Prayer/Proud Boy loser weirdo.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
To own the libs. I feel so owned.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

without looking I'm going to assume he was going stir crazy and/or hates his family, also a huge idiot

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Robot overlords really were the answer all along.

The Deus Ex Helios ending is best for the world.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I feel kind of bad that someone is too dumb and/or so annoying that they couldn’t convince anyone closer than 600 miles to cut hair

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I finally got fed up with how unruly my hair was last week and just used an electric razor to shave my head. Took five minutes and a helpful double check from my roommate that I didn't miss any spots on the back of my head. Not trumpeting it as a perfect alternative to a stylish cut or anything but it definitely improved my overall mood to not constantly be fiddling with overgrown hair. :shrug:

Who knows maybe I'll be ready for a haircut again by the time we're all out of lockdown!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

1st AD posted:

I feel kind of bad that someone is too dumb and/or so annoying that they couldn’t convince anyone closer than 600 miles to cut hair

But also it’s exactly that kind of person that would do that and brag about it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sydin posted:

I finally got fed up with how unruly my hair was last week and just used an electric razor to shave my head. Took five minutes and a helpful double check from my roommate that I didn't miss any spots on the back of my head. Not trumpeting it as a perfect alternative to a stylish cut or anything but it definitely improved my overall mood to not constantly be fiddling with overgrown hair. :shrug:

Who knows maybe I'll be ready for a haircut again by the time we're all out of lockdown!

Yeah, I'm tempted to do this as well. It's not like I'm going to be seeing anyone for any reason anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Between the lack of access to barbers and the extra time I've spent practicing my guitar, I'm gonna come out of lockdown ready to live my dream and start a hair metal band