Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

codo27 posted:

God drat. I went into Journey mode blind and didn't expect it to basically be easy mode. I played for a few hours last night but I'm gonna ramp up and difficulty and possibly the spawn rate and give it a try. I've beaten WoF before but I dont know if I've ever cured all the corruption. Something else that will be trivialized by this research menu.

I found that if I cranked the difficulty up to normal mode, it mostly made up for cheaty Journey mode stuff. But I think Journey Mode starts at 50% and you have to manually adjust it up.

I think I'm sitting at like 90% instead of 100% because I'm bad at video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm playing a Large Journey world where it's on Master difficulty but at 50% spawn rate, so enemies are rare but a challenge to deal with while exploring all the cool new poo poo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Malmesbury Monster posted:

Built my Angler a nice house out by the ocean, next thing I know I get a message saying he has left. :negative: I didn't even know NPCs could do that.

He probably fell out of the house and drowned.

The angler is a kid, so when he dies, instead of exploding into gibs like all proper NPCs do, he just vanishes and the message is that he left.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You’d think he’d have innate water breathing

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How do I do lots of damage? Fire chain ain't cutting it, nor is gold bow. Should I just grind guns?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Considering the Angler floats in on the ocean he should be able to just float all the time, tbh.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

4 years since I played, wow.
No idea where to start, or what anything is any more. Hundreds of hours played, and I think I've remebered 5% of it all.

Might start from fresh on regular like a noob and then have a look a this new fangled mode, idk

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

Should I just grind guns?

:orb:
Your first orb/heart in the corruption/crimson will drop a gun, which will allow the gun guy to spawn. Buy a mini-shark.

Alternately, what are you using for arrows? Jester arrows are pretty useful early on (when a gold bow is something you'd be using).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Finally said gently caress it and built a Star Cannon, because I realized I had 350 stars. gently caress you, expert Skeletron.

I'm trying not to cheese things too much with Journey Mode. But goddamn it is satisfying to build an entire hamlet for some NPCs on the other end of the world and not have to farm for hours and make six trips for materials.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Finally said gently caress it and built a Star Cannon, because I realized I had 350 stars. gently caress you, expert Skeletron.

I'm trying not to cheese things too much with Journey Mode. But goddamn it is satisfying to build an entire hamlet for some NPCs on the other end of the world and not have to farm for hours and make six trips for materials.

If you're in Journey Mode and you had 350 stars ... you have infinite stars :getin:

As someone who has played through the game probably almost a dozen times, Journey Mode is great. Don't have to worry about farming materials, just explore to find stuff and then you're good. Expert difficulty still makes it non-trivial to play and fun. That said, I'm very glad this wasn't in the game for most of my playtime. But at this point, it's really nice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This update is really amazing so far. It feels practically like a completely new game. Journey mode is wonderful and I was completely gobsmacked when I saw that even the chargen/worldgen menus are completely different. That you can even get difficulty-specific items when you adjust the slider is just the icing on the cake. Never gonna need to have two different sets of worlds again, wooo. I can't wait for all my favourite mods to catch up to this.

I kind of wish I had paid more than ten dollars for the game, because the man deserves it. If only more developers were even half that dedicated to making their games the best experience they possibly can.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there anything busted about migrating saves from vanilla to tmodloader? I can't get it to successfully import either my character or my world, either by the migrate button within it or by manually copying them into the modded folder, which is a but of a bummer because I've made some mistakes I'd like to undo.

Estel
May 4, 2010
Tmod is still on 1.3 so new saves won't work on it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I kind of wish I had paid more than ten dollars for the game, because the man deserves it. If only more developers were even half that dedicated to making their games the best experience they possibly can.
Gift it to your friends!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

If you're in Journey Mode and you had 350 stars ... you have infinite stars :getin:

As someone who has played through the game probably almost a dozen times, Journey Mode is great. Don't have to worry about farming materials, just explore to find stuff and then you're good. Expert difficulty still makes it non-trivial to play and fun. That said, I'm very glad this wasn't in the game for most of my playtime. But at this point, it's really nice.

Yeah, I have the stars researched. I've refrained from duping them for the time being.

I'm mostly not duplicating money and similar things at this point. At first I thought I would cut out too much of the core gameplay loop by doing ores, but then I realized that I'll just spend that time saved building bases more. Plus I'm trying to collect *everything* so I can research it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Estel posted:

Tmod is still on 1.3 so new saves won't work on it.

Oh right, I assumed that when they added it to steam they'd have made it work. I guess I'll hold off for a bit.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, I have the stars researched. I've refrained from duping them for the time being.

I'm mostly not duplicating money and similar things at this point. At first I thought I would cut out too much of the core gameplay loop by doing ores, but then I realized that I'll just spend that time saved building bases more. Plus I'm trying to collect *everything* so I can research it.

Journey mode changes grinding from "gently caress i need more <material>" to "gently caress i don't have <item/material>." gently caress buying bombs/dynamite for a hellivator, or running out of torches/glowsticks, or hording gems for hooks instead of making magic wands, or needing to make greenhouses for potions, or............

Just dupe what you want, put your own restrictions on playing, and live your best Terraria Life. :c00l:

game owns update owns

ed: Expert still challenging, even with Journey mode (if you don't use god mode, obviously). I'll probably try the Master pre-hardmode bosses before I kill WoF.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fun is researching dynamite and flying back and forth over the crimson on my flying carpet dropping unlimited explosives all over those wretched vermin

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
I can have issues with hoarding consumable resources like potions/ammuntion, so the duplication feature is a godsend for me. I'm getting so much more use out of ranged weapons now and can happily use some buffs for something I'm only doing for a minute or two instead of worrying about making full use of the buff timer.

I've been a lot more motivated to try out various building styles too. The research function has just enough of a requirement for unlocking things that I feel like I've earned my duplicated stuff, and then I can mess around and try things out in peace.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Yet another sevrer up at 104.246.132.142:7779 running not the bees.

I'll keep doing these because why not.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Player's on my server: we're discussing the possibility of a server rollback to pre-hardmode. Nothing is set yet, but we have the option and are talking about it on discord. If anyone has an opinion, let me know or hop on the discord group.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just enjoy spelunking on Journey to find the 20 potions needed for duplication, so when I first battle the Eye on Master I can go super saiyan with buffs and be decked in full corrupt/crimson gear (and thus stand a small chance of winning)

It’s GREAT to be able to grab what I want from the menu, and then trash it when done, keeping my inventory at minimal clutter

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The new random map name generator is hilarious and already one of my favourite new things about the game. It just gave me The Residence of Hooligans as I was generating my new "home base" map and I just knew that had to be the one.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It’s got a fun little Dwarf Fortress vibe like that

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Player's on my server: we're discussing the possibility of a server rollback to pre-hardmode. Nothing is set yet, but we have the option and are talking about it on discord. If anyone has an opinion, let me know or hop on the discord group.

It is done, my server is pre-hardmode, restored from a backup circa 8PM central last night, I think less than an hour before WoF got deaded and everything went all pear shaped. If someone needs it for some reason, I have a backup of the world as it was today just prior to rollback.

We'll probably take a server vote before doing THAT again, so it should stay safe for a bit.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

People who know the ins and outs of this game -- what the heck have they done to the criteria for creating biomes?

I have a 17x20 block of ebonstone that tells me I'm in a corruption biome if i stand on the far left corner, but not the far right??

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I’m enjoying playing on my new world “Pothole of Garbage “

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh wow, I just got the Party Girl in my world. How much new music did they write for this patch?

Can't wait for them to update the soundtrack.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

I’m enjoying playing on my new world “Pothole of Garbage “

My very first randomly generated world was named "Calm Defecation."

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
I haven't managed to get one yet, but is the Coin Gun going to be ridiculously strong in Journey mode due to its unlimited money?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

JTDistortion posted:

I can have issues with hoarding consumable resources like potions/ammuntion, so the duplication feature is a godsend for me. I'm getting so much more use out of ranged weapons now and can happily use some buffs for something I'm only doing for a minute or two instead of worrying about making full use of the buff timer.

I've been a lot more motivated to try out various building styles too. The research function has just enough of a requirement for unlocking things that I feel like I've earned my duplicated stuff, and then I can mess around and try things out in peace.

Seriously, this.

I can't believe how much more fun it's made the game. I actually craft potions now instead of hoarding all my materials like a dragon "just in case". The prospect of not having to grind is amazing.

Also, you can research the quest fish from the Angler :getin:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I went and switched on Hardmode because I think that was the correct path of progression, having beaten Skeletron/Dungeon and explored the Underworld. It's been half a decade so I think that was the correct path.

Ow. Everything hurts. A lot.

Currently building up the nerve to trek all the goddamn way over to my corruption area so I can hopefully get some ores. After that I think I'll switch to another world and get some Master Mode boss relic trophy things.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can anyone in spoilers or not give me uh a big picture thing to do. I have a house and am looking for ores in the level where there is no walls. Like the next 3 -5 things I should do. Thank you. Solo classic small map (huge was too big)

Probably don’t have to spoiler starting tips

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

euphronius posted:

Can anyone in spoilers or not give me uh a big picture thing to do. I have a house and am looking for ores in the level where there is no walls. Like the next 3 -5 things I should do. Thank you. Solo classic small map (huge was too big)

1. find ores and hearts. get at least silver or gold armor (for a first-time player) and a good weapon that can do mid-to-long range, or a shitload of throwing knives. get a grappling hook; you can either make one with a chain and a hook or with gems. (if you're lucky you might get one as a random drop, there are a bunch of grappling hook variants in the game)
2. kill the eye of cthulhu to get the components for better weapons. to summon him, either reach high enough health (i think 200-220?) or craft the item at a demon/crimson altar with lenses dropped by demon eyes. the eye moves around a lot and tends to hover at range, this is why you got the ranged weapons or throwing knives.
3. get enough housing available so you get the dryad and/or demolitionist to move in, which you'll need for the next bit.
4. go to your world's evil (corruption/crimson) and destroy shadow orbs/crimson hearts. to reach them either use bombs/dynamite (from the demolitionist) or purification powder (from the dryad). destroying 3 will summon another boss, so stop at 2. take the equipment you got. if you got a gun, make more housing for another NPC; if you got a magic weapon (thorn rod or the crimson rain rod) that will be a big help against the next boss.
4b (OPTIONAL). wait a bit for a meteor to land and dig it up for a very good earlygame magic ranged set and weapon (the meteory armor & space blaster), good tools, and pretty good melee weapons (the phasesabers). if you have the demolitionist, dynamite will very quickly clear out meteor blocks which damage you; e: apparently this no longer works; you can also dig up obsidian from deep underground near lava and make an obsidian skull which makes meteor blocks not hurt you.
5. if you have corruption, buy a shitload of grenades from the demolitionist; make the best armor you can (you may need to kill eye of cthulu a few more times; craft more eyes if you do, once you've killed it once it stops freely spawning after 200-220 HP) and take on the next boss. grenades will chump the corruption boss (they're somewhat decent against the crimson boss but not as much), and the magic weapons from either biome's loot item are also very good against them.

at this point the world's your oyster and you're probably free to explore the dungeon, jungle, or hell; if you go with the latter, be careful not to kill 'voodoo demons' carelessly, as the item they drop will, if it falls into lava, summon the boss that makes the world change into hard mode

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 19, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And don't be afraid to play with the wiki open for guidance. For instance, if you want to go on a long chase for an awesome but complicated item, look up "cell phone," which can be made entirely pre-hardmode.

Or any of the balloon combos, or the boot crafting tree.

Also, don't just look down! There's some stuff up, too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you. I’ll save that and use it. With respect to 1 what is the best way to do that. I’ve just been blindly digging through the area under ground level (no walls)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

Get 200+ max hp and some bombs underground, probably also get hermes boots, magic mirror and cloud in a bottle. Try to make silver or better armor.

Go to your evil biome and blast open 2 of the orbs/hearts there for loot, one of which is guaranteed to be a gun.

Obtain a suspicious looking eye, either by farming the flying eyes at night for lenses or finding them in chests

Use said eye at night to summon a boss, shoot it with your gun.

When you feel comfortable dealing with crowds go back to your evil biome and blast another orb to fight another boss. Doing so unlocks a better pick and an armor set, among other things.

There's cool poo poo on the far sides of the surface and up in the sky. Once you've explored the special biomes on each side and fought the bosses there dig as deep as you possibly can.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

euphronius posted:

Thank you. I’ll save that and use it. With respect to 1 what is the best way to do that. I’ve just been blindly digging through the area under ground level (no walls)

try and stick to caves, digging around will find you stuff but caves are huge in this, so explore in there, leave torches so you know where you've been

grappling hooks, platforms, and ropes are a big help for getting around and if you find a chest with a magic mirror treasure it forever

e: and this game is definitely from the era when you were pretty much expected to be using guides or wikis or have watched a video, so don't be afraid to look up wikis.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

euphronius posted:

Good lord, don't do that. It's tedium for zero reason. Run around on the surface and investigate caves instead, you should find something going deep fairly swiftly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks all. Going to put some time in tonight