Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Spergin Morlock posted:

easy to launder money in a cash business

my favorite chud thing is when they try some kind of tax scam and it doesnt actually make them money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Acelerion posted:

Im sitting here looking at all this work that needs to be done, and all these freshly unemployed people, and realizing that I have not heard one whisper about a government work program from anyone in power

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

fake news that font isn't from the 30s

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

this is an excellent slide for summing up unicorn evaluations in one image

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i started running again 2.5 weeks ago and my mental state has improved greatly. I mean, we're still all hosed and nothing matters but at least the perpetual sense of doom is slightly better. I suggest any sad goons try working out

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

shovelbum posted:

Just because something has been historically abused doesn't mean it's a bad idea. The carceral state itself would be loving awesome if we used the same tools to police the right.

you want an open mass grave instead of a country, just admit it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

you want an open mass grave instead of a country, just admit it

Buddy if I wanted that I'd just have to wait a month

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

'Malady

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1262449217915588608

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

tbf if you want to do a protest at the state capitol that's easily hundreds of miles away out west and crossing state lines is reasonably common because your state has sales tax but the state half an hour away doesn't

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Texas is back babyyyyy. May 31 the blood gates open for the children

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

shovelbum posted:

Buddy if I wanted that I'd just have to wait a month

I know. The idea that the carceral state is going to do anything except kill people is still loving dumb tho.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

oxsnard posted:

i started running again 2.5 weeks ago and my mental state has improved greatly. I mean, we're still all hosed and nothing matters but at least the perpetual sense of doom is slightly better. I suggest any sad goons try working out

I managed to put in 40 miles over the weekend after having my bike in the shop for over a week. Would be cool though to eventually find people to ride with but that probably won't be a thing for quite a while.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I do keep finding it grimly funny Ace keeps correctly identifying the problem of "life has no meaning, we live in an absurd uncaring universe and society is garbage where meaningless repetition is held up as the best we can do" and then following it up with "so I need to work harder to be better at repeating poo poo I know to be meaningless or I have failed".

Life lacks meaning and we cannot find any useful moral values in the chaotic mess the world is. You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get. There's no justice other than what we impose, and as a culture, we're deeply incompetent as far as it comes to doing so. And unwilling, but that's a given.

And if your response is "What, then, should I just give up?" - well, yes. If accepting nothing has meaning isn't compatible with what you're doing, then you should just give up. Not that the people who ask that are doing anything meaningful in the first place - they're just existing, desperate for answers that never come.

If you think meaning comes from within you're high as hell, at which point I have to both congratulate you for managing to get that high, and also disregard all that nonsense.

As far as to what you should do about it, I can't answer that. "Read Camus" is a suggestion I keep making, but knowing that will also not give you any answers. The best I can do is point out things that don't work. And one of them is being miserable over the fact that you don't live in the world you wish you lived in. If you're miserable, you aren't happy with the way the world is, which does mean there's a world you'd be happier in.

So act in a way that takes us closer to one of those worlds. And realize we'll never get there. If your motivation for making the world a better place is living in a just world, you'll just get disillusioned and turn into another monster.

This crisis isn't creating these problems. It's just taking away many of the ways we use to run away. You can keep running away until you die, but is there any meaning there? No.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

endlessmonotony posted:

I do keep finding it grimly funny Ace keeps correctly identifying the problem of "life has no meaning, we live in an absurd uncaring universe and society is garbage where meaningless repetition is held up as the best we can do" and then following it up with "so I need to work harder to be better at repeating poo poo I know to be meaningless or I have failed".

Life lacks meaning and we cannot find any useful moral values in the chaotic mess the world is. You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get. There's no justice other than what we impose, and as a culture, we're deeply incompetent as far as it comes to doing so. And unwilling, but that's a given.

And if your response is "What, then, should I just give up?" - well, yes. If accepting nothing has meaning isn't compatible with what you're doing, then you should just give up. Not that the people who ask that are doing anything meaningful in the first place - they're just existing, desperate for answers that never come.

If you think meaning comes from within you're high as hell, at which point I have to both congratulate you for managing to get that high, and also disregard all that nonsense.

As far as to what you should do about it, I can't answer that. "Read Camus" is a suggestion I keep making, but knowing that will also not give you any answers. The best I can do is point out things that don't work. And one of them is being miserable over the fact that you don't live in the world you wish you lived in. If you're miserable, you aren't happy with the way the world is, which does mean there's a world you'd be happier in.

So act in a way that takes us closer to one of those worlds. And realize we'll never get there. If your motivation for making the world a better place is living in a just world, you'll just get disillusioned and turn into another monster.

This crisis isn't creating these problems. It's just taking away many of the ways we use to run away. You can keep running away until you die, but is there any meaning there? No.

trump

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is Ace's job just really fun and meaningful?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Mr Hootington posted:

We have a vaccine and still everyone is melting down. Goons gonna goon. 🙍‍♀️

wait what

I’ve been gone for a couple days - what vaccine?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/wsbtv/status/1262414479377170434

I'm not really sure what the point was of putting their names in the article was but being named and shamed in a paper for 'laying drag' got a "gently caress yeah!" outta me

Also look at the low gun count, a rural area Wal-Mart on a Wednesday afternoon has than that walking around their garden section potentially

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

username/post combo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spergin Morlock posted:

username/post combo

In so many ways.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MorrisBae posted:

wait what

I’ve been gone for a couple days - what vaccine?

the one that definitely works and the way you know it works is that trumps vaccine czar has several millions of dollars of stock options in the company

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

hahahaha :votegop:

https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1262463602193305602

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

endlessmonotony posted:

My man, you gotta turn your monitor on

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cant wait to die when I hit the gym this week.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

oxsnard posted:

I don't run because it's really hard on my ankles and feet (and it's way to crowded here to go for a run), been kicking myself to look up some body weight excervises to keep myself in shape now that I can't do fitness martial arts anymore :(

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

endlessmonotony posted:

Typically we deal with clinical depression by trying to restore neurochemical balance rather than meditating on the fact that Sisyphus is happy

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Life isn't meaningless. Electoralism is meaningless, so stop basing your entire life around it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Who saw this coming?

https://mobile.twitter.com/newschannelnine/status/1260550359384068097

quote:

NewsChannel 9 has learned that the Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle has decided to suspend their in-person services after one of their members tested positive for COVID-19.

Pastor Justin Gazaway sent a statement saying the church welcomed congregation members back "a few weeks ago," but "the decision was made last night that we would discontinue all in-person services again until further notice."A spokesperson with the Northwest Georgia State Health Department says one case of COVID-19 has been confirmed in relation to the church. They are using contact tracers to determine who that person may have passed the virus to.

Though only the one case is confirmed by health officials, the church's statement says, "Our hearts are heavy as some of our families are dealing with the effects of the COVID-19 virus."

When we asked Pastor Gazaway to clarify a number of cases, he did not respond.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Typically we deal with clinical depression by trying to restore neurochemical balance rather than meditating on the fact that Sisyphus is happy

He's already in therapy and thus has been assessed by a professional on the subject of taking pills to fix problems.

And yet he continues to be who he is, because it turns out you can throw all the pills and professionals at a hosed up brain and sometimes it doesn't work.

Literally everyone who's replied to me knows this, some of you with notorious track records of personal experience.

If you need proof for that, you've come to the right place.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

glad this whole mess is over

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

This summer is going to be insane.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Life isn't meaningless. Electoralism is meaningless, so stop basing your entire life around it.

Ok bin laden

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/knoxnews/status/1262467257562734592?s=19

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reminder that this guy was WWE’s Kane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Who saw this coming?

We drove around a bit yesterday and it was definitely ~60% of churches were back to inside.

They all gonna get the roni.