Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They all look suitably mythical apart from that moose fella in the top right who just looks cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Aw man, I read that as "Techno-slovakia," but the reality is far less interesting.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Speaking of Japan is there a reason why in Japan the Hopkinsville Goblins became the "default" for Space Aliens while in America they're almost completely forgotten

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Speaking of Japan is there a reason why in Japan the Hopkinsville Goblins became the "default" for Space Aliens while in America they're almost completely forgotten

They know something we don't :tinfoil:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
pennsylvania's monster is a depressed sack of warts, what the gently caress

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The enfield horror should be the nickname for a boxer from north london.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Jippa posted:

They all look suitably mythical apart from that moose fella in the top right who just looks cute.

Ah but you see it's a ghost.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Is this an inferiority complex map from Portugal which ignores the fact that all the other European countries had empires too?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In the US, Whitley Strieber's Communion, describing his alleged alien abduction, became really popular, and that pretty much set the default image of "greys" as the designated aliens in the US.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

lol, I googled "Oklahoma octopus" and it's literally supposed to be just octopi living in a couple of lakes in Oklahoma. Not some kind of prehistoric, supernatural octopus, just a normal octopus, albeit one large enough to kill people.

Also, the Michigan Dogman was made up basically whole cloth by a DJ in Traverse City in the late 80s for a song he made for April Fool's Day. People have since merged it with existing werewolf, shapeshifter, etc. sorts of myths on the lower peninsula. I remember hearing this song on the radio in the late 80s late at night when I was cleaning up the milking parlor and, being a small child, being absolutely terrified of it and sprinting from the barn to the house before the dogman got me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvlQp5f7ZwU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So far as I know, not even the biggest species of octopus have ever been known to kill people (smaller, poisonous octopusses maybe, but that's different), so it'd have to be a pretty drat big octopus.

One of the things about cryptid enthusiasts is that they don't particularly care if something was a hoax or even if it wasn't even meant to be a true story in the first place. If they can gin up the premise of a mystery, they'll be satisfied.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Jackelopes are the most adorable cryptid

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

So far as I know, not even the biggest species of octopus have ever been known to kill people (smaller, poisonous octopusses maybe, but that's different), so it'd have to be a pretty drat big octopus.

One of the things about cryptid enthusiasts is that they don't particularly care if something was a hoax or even if it wasn't even meant to be a true story in the first place. If they can gin up the premise of a mystery, they'll be satisfied.

To be fair, stories are fun. One of my guilty pleasures is Coast to Coast AM level alien conspiracy theories and poo poo. I don't believe any of it, I treat it as some sort of gonzo sci-fi where nobody breaks kayfabe and it's fun.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

They gave Champy to New York?????

Politically loaded for sure.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Lord Wexia posted:

They gave Champy to New York?????

Politically loaded for sure.

and the snallygaster to virgina :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also they gave thunderbirds to North Dakota instead of Hohoq.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Delthalaz posted:

Nah, it's opossums.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

freebooter posted:

Is this an inferiority complex map from Portugal which ignores the fact that all the other European countries had empires too?

I'm guessing it's from the latter half of the 20th century, when it was starting to become unfashionable to have an empire. Salazer tried to hold on to the remnants of the Portuguese empire.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

freebooter posted:

Angola and Mozambique are integral parts of the Portuguese nation!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Every cryptid should have a proper name like the Squonk, instead of the lame [location] + [category] stuff.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The_Other posted:

I'm guessing it's from the latter half of the 20th century, when it was starting to become unfashionable to have an empire. Salazer tried to hold on to the remnants of the Portuguese empire.

Nope, it's actually from 1934, so only a year after Salazar had established his Estado Novo. If I had to guess I'd say that the map served the purpose of strenghtening Salazar's reign by way of distracting from the bad economic and political situation Portugal was in at the time as well as increasing morale by remembering the supposedly glorious colonial past (and present) of the country.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the baltic states of Estonia, Latvia, and East Prussia

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Delthalaz posted:

Nah, the esquilax is.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Every cryptid should have a proper name like the Squonk, instead of the lame [location] + [category] stuff.

Like Scuzzlebutt.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Nah, it's opossums.

I don’t like their creepy white faces and nasty teeth

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

https://twitter.com/PossumEveryHour/status/1261144313431494656/photo/1

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delthalaz posted:

but enough about the British.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Aaaaaah! They’re so startling

Platystemon posted:

them too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The forbidden fingerbox.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The forbidden fingerbox.

the gom-jabbar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A54yfyi00dI

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

This might be outside the scope of this thread, but does anyone know a good online shop for good looking maps to hang on the wall? Preferably EU-based or with reasonable shipping costs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

lol

I've actually started noticing this too, especially in older British productions. Not so much the color (a slight yellow tinge is normal, and unnatural teeth whitening isn't necessary in most cases), but how crooked they often are. I think it's just that orthodontics wasn't really a thing in the UK in the past? I guess it's true that many of these corrections are just aesthetical, anyway.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 18, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

lol

I've actually started noticing this too, especially in older British productions. Not so much the color (a slight yellow tinge is normal, and unnatural teeth whitening isn't necessary in most cases), but how crooked they often are. I think it's just that orthodontics wasn't really a thing in the UK in the past? I guess it's true that many of these corrections are just aesthetical, anyway.

In my experience that's one of those stereotypes that's low key absolutely real.

Soviet Commubot posted:

I didn't know Cornwall was in Montana.

Late as hell but a ton of cornish miners moved for work to the US intermountain west, and they brought their meat pies with them.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 18, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've always heard that you can identify americans abroad because they tend to have freakishly white, perfect teeth

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

luxury handset posted:

i've always heard that you can identify americans abroad because they tend to have freakishly white, perfect teeth

I have teeth that are gross by american standards and normal by french standards so can confirm

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Teeth stuff varies a lot around the world. In parts of Asia braces are actually fashionable, so much so that some people will actually wear janky imitation braces just for the aesthetics, which can actually mess up teeth. Of course this is probably because if you can afford orthodontia, you probably have money, so it becomes a symbol of wealth

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In my experience that's one of those stereotypes that's low key absolutely real.

Late as hell but a ton of cornish miners moved for work to the US intermountain west, and they brought their meat pies with them.

Soviet Commubot's originally from Michigan so I think hes just salty they gave it to Montana instead of da UP.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

lol

The comedy answer to English people being ugly is that the Vikings stole all the hot women (and killed/enslaved the strong men), leaving the worst specimens to become the British empire somehow.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

FreudianSlippers posted:

Korea probably has pretty good Korean food though

They've america-fied their cuisine to an impressive extent. The best Korean food comes from America and Pyongyang, in that order.

e:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fz9aU3qnD0

This looks delicious in an overbearing, life destroying way. But keep in mind that one of the things they're dumping on it is a sugar glaze, and many of the ingredients throughout already have copious amounts of sugar mixed in.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 18, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Since American dentistry is run for a profit, they always are trying to upsell you on new services to just make your teeth slightly better, sometimes even at the cost of some tooth health.

Joke's on them though, when I got braces I just learned how to never show my teeth and now I don't care that they're a little off looking.

BonHair posted:

The comedy answer to English people being ugly is that the Vikings stole all the hot women (and killed/enslaved the strong men), leaving the worst specimens to become the British empire somehow.

Except a lot of vikings settled and never left.

Depending on whether you'd define Normans or Saxons as vikings, they may have been the foundational people of England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Apparently the average Brit has healthier teeth than the average American it's just that Americans don't allow anyone without perfectly straight blindingly white teeth on TV and British dentistry is more focused on practical things like cavities while the Americans focus more on aesthetics.