Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
also i'm gonna be real if you generated a medium-or-larger world start over on small! The worlds in this are gigantic and all doing an above-medium world will do is make there be more empty space between things. Once you know what you're doing and know how to get around and are doing more intricate builds maybe play on a medium or large world, but for a single person small is a perfect size. I know there's lots of people who are worried about running out of stuff on small worlds but it won't happen to a new player unless you're going out of your way to do it, and I mean "going horizontally across a world with dynamite at a vertical level bombing everything and dumping lava on the drops then digging down and going back again like the world's worst typewriter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Has anyone actually been able to bomb/dynamite meteorite in 1.4? My meteor is impervious to all explosives. I had to mine it, which admittedly wasn’t TOO hard, but it threw me for a loop and I wasted a lot of money on dynamite.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

Thanks all. Going to put some time in tonight

Also, once you've beaten the first two bosses the only remaining area that is locked should be the Dungeon. Talk to the old man outside if at night if you want to get in.

If you want to "beat the game" you will eventually have to do the Dungeon however it's not required to enable Hardmode. (Technically only the Wall of Flesh is required but beating it without the drops from Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu is a speedrunner only kind of thing).

Additionally, use the shadow scale/tissue sample and respective ore to at the very least make a pickaxe. The harder stones can't be mined by normal metal (bronze/tin, iron/lead, silver/tungsten, gold/platinum) pickaxes.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 18, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m at the “trying to get an iron broadsword stage” lmao

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

I’m at the “trying to get an iron broadsword stage” lmao

Ah in that case just try and look for iron/lead. Up until obsidian there's two variants of each basic metal type. They're basically equivalent in function and only differ in appearance. It's also okay to skip iron/lead and go right to silver or gold but you likely will need iron/lead to craft some key items like a forge.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Lordshmee posted:

Has anyone actually been able to bomb/dynamite meteorite in 1.4? My meteor is impervious to all explosives. I had to mine it, which admittedly wasn’t TOO hard, but it threw me for a loop and I wasted a lot of money on dynamite.

that would be an incredibly dickish change if they did it. are you on master mode?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Noticed the explosives thing on meteorites too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's in the patch notes. They both pushed meteors later in progression and made them tedious to mine.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i always found it easier to just dig a tunnel straight down and platform back up w/r/t finding ores than running along the surface and jumping in caves

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Bummer about meteorite, though being able to dig it up with bombs really broke the normal mode progression so it makes sense from a balance standpoint. I actually have to care about normal mode ores now.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Tenebrais posted:

Oh wow, I just got the Party Girl in my world. How much new music did they write for this patch?

Can't wait for them to update the soundtrack.

Party girl switches everything to the tracks from Otherworld.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is my map atm. Looking for iron for stuff.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

euphronius posted:

This is my map atm. Looking for iron for stuff.

Very 2005 vibe with taking a picture of your monitor.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

forgot that i have a rgb keyboard and hooked it up to work with terraria. it's a pretty feature! seeing it all light up red when i hit the crimson was neat.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh my god everything hits so hard. My Sunfury and Star Cannon can only take me so far.

I guess I have to git gud. Hats off to those crazy bastards playing in Master.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah, the second third of the game does not gently caress around

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Peachfart posted:

Very 2005 vibe with taking a picture of your monitor.

lmao its so easy to just post a pic from my phone.

Update: I have enough platinum now for a platinum sword.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Johnny Joestar posted:

forgot that i have a rgb keyboard and hooked it up to work with terraria. it's a pretty feature! seeing it all light up red when i hit the crimson was neat.

Yeah it was totally unexpected. Try generating a new world and tell me how many times you hit H hoping for some secret bullshit.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

President Ark posted:

that would be an incredibly dickish change if they did it. are you on master mode?

While it is a silly and dickish change that I do not like, so long as you have the appropriate level pick, you can mine meteorite by replacing it with wooden platforms, making it somewhat less painful.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I have unlocked pp and all of the painter's early stuff through research. Thank you, Journey Mode.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

OMG the grappling hook . Hahaha this is amazing.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat this game is good

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Finished my Dark souls run a day or two ago, so decided it was long enough after the patch to get into it (wikis updated). Lost like 5 hours so far, will lose many more.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I just ran into the meteor being immune to explosions myself.

Been playing in Journey mode, which is great fun not having to hunt down more materials after a certain point. I've got the Star Cannon now, which I never used before because of the ammo limitations.

I did get to see the Meteors actually fall in the background, I'm digging the new background art a ton. And with the Eye and World Eater dead, next is building some jungle housing for a pylon there, and then working up to Skeletron. I also might have to go farm scouts so I can summon a Goblin Invasion, they've yet to show up at all and I need the Tinker.

But the game is super good, as it's always been.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Looking for Plantera bulbs to smash to start that fight sucks.

I also need to start farming potion ingredients. I cant see poo poo with my lil crimson heart companion, gotta get Shine potions I guess

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God drat. Mini shark is cow dung compared to the plat bow with hellfire arrows. Don't sleep on silt blocks if you find the extractinator, great way to get ore and money

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i wish i had people to play with

all my friends got their terraria bug out years ago

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Looking for Plantera bulbs to smash to start that fight sucks.

No shame on using this trick, or terramap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm3HSpnv1nI

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Holy poo poo, thats a huge help. Thanks!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tenebrais posted:

Oh wow, I just got the Party Girl in my world. How much new music did they write for this patch?

13 entirely new tracks written for this patch:
  • slime rain
  • town day
  • town night
  • windy day
  • storm
  • graveyard
  • underground jungle
  • jungle night
  • underground desert
  • queen slime
  • empress of light
  • duke fishron

But they've also added the four remaining console tracks:
  • tutorial -> morning rain
  • ocean -> ocean night
  • space -> space day
  • title -> alt title

And mostly they've recycled the entire soundtrack for the canned Terraria: Otherworld into the game. And that's another twenty-seven tracks right there:
  • rain
  • day
  • night
  • underground
  • desert
  • ocean
  • mushroom
  • dungeon
  • space
  • underworld
  • snow
  • corruption
  • underground corruption
  • crimson
  • underground crimson
  • ice
  • underground hallow
  • eerie
  • boss 2
  • boss 1
  • invasion
  • the towers
  • lunar boss
  • plantera
  • jungle
  • wall of flesh
  • hallow

and there's the remix contest (day remix). So in total that's 45 tracks added. It used to have 39 tracks before this update.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
its a shame that they added all the biome crates but still no tree or pyramid crates, so the loot from those is still just 'one every five worlds' or whatever

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Can Pyramid loot be found in underground desert chests?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Finally figured out how to make and use pylons. I've got cool towns now set up in the Forest (default), Desert, Jungle and Ocean, all with appropriately themed decorations thanks to Journey Mode. And I finally found the tinkerer so I guess it's time to really start fishing for that cell phone.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
The pyramid is really disappointing, I found one and expected it to be like a maze and full of traps and then it just turns out it's one passageway with a small room.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Can Pyramid loot be found in underground desert chests?

no, its unique to pyramids

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Journey mode was exactly what this game needed. I spent the whole day alternating between fishing for the fish finder pieces (stil sucks) and building cool stuff. Going to hunt down the resource you want makes it feel like a challenge but you don't have to ruin landscapes and constantly return to get more and more as you make stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a trick to finding crates while fishing now? I need an Anklet of the Wind but was unable to find one in the jungle, so I figured I'd try fishing but I'm getting like no crates. Do I need to be underground to get crates?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Because I am a man of extremes, I complemented my Journey Mode world by also starting a run where I'm doing only Hardcore characters on Master mode worlds. This poo poo is brutal. I finally learned to throw glowsticks until my whole screen is lit up and got my current character to 360 health with all silver armor. Haven't taken on any bosses yet because I don't have a good ranged weapon but I've got a nice stockpile of extra ores/potions going in case I die and lose all of my poo poo. My trick so far has been to use a Large world as my home base and do most of my spelunking in a Small one. Less distance to travel between hearts/treasure chests means less chances to die, at least until I inevitably forget to walk around with a pressure plate in my hand and get one-shot by a dart trap.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

also don’t forget about the queen bee before skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Zereth posted:

Is there a trick to finding crates while fishing now? I need an Anklet of the Wind but was unable to find one in the jungle, so I figured I'd try fishing but I'm getting like no crates. Do I need to be underground to get crates?

Crate potion. Made with a....cactus?