Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Freakazoid_ posted:

Meanwhile, at Howarth Park in Everett, there's a residential area right next to the park and people just park along those streets instead.

What do you think is happening in Seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Just a heads up, the gov email to report violations of mandatory closings in Washington has had the information leaked. So everyone's complaints and personal information is now floating out there. I'm not sure if it's been covered in the news yet.

I stumbled upon the leak and downloaded it and like 90% of the complaints are about golf courses.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Looks like Oregon is opening back up tomorrow if you aren't in Portland metro. :cheerdoge:

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavi...ing-friday.html

quote:

“We are asking folks in metro area to be thoughtful of their fellow Oregonians, and to stay home and limit their travel to essential needs,” Brown said. “We obviously don’t want to overwhelm the rest of Oregon by traveling outside the metro area.”

Gonna be a boomer haircut caravan from the burbs out to the valley lol

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
yup it's gonna be stupid poo poo hours in Portland

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Too many people in Seattle parks. I’m worried as poo poo about beaches this summer.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

George posted:

Too many people in Seattle parks. I’m worried as poo poo about beaches this summer.

Don't worry. The comments section and fb community groups will be on it!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Christoph posted:

I stumbled upon the leak and downloaded it

That's not weird, unsettling or anything like that. nope.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Shifty Nipples posted:

That's not weird, unsettling or anything like that. nope.

It's been all over social media thanks to the right-wing militia crowd (who just want people to know what's going on, of course, and are shocked when people who filed issues get a barrage of death threats).

Also, it wasn't leaked - it was legitimately FOIA'ed as a public record. The info probably shouldn't have been subject to FOIA in the first place, but in the halcyon days of a month or so ago, people didn't really predict that neo-Nazis would be making death threats against people who report violations of the law.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Space Gopher posted:

It's been all over social media thanks to the right-wing militia crowd (who just want people to know what's going on, of course, and are shocked when people who filed issues get a barrage of death threats).

Also, it wasn't leaked - it was legitimately FOIA'ed as a public record. The info probably shouldn't have been subject to FOIA in the first place, but in the halcyon days of a month or so ago, people didn't really predict that neo-Nazis would be making death threats against people who report violations of the law.

Don't worry the death threats are coming from inside the thread.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's the 40 year anniversary of Mt St Helens going.

Crying like a fuckin baby right now thinking about Landsburg laying on top of his camera equipment as to give it a chance to survive so people could see what it looked like up close. And Rosenquist too.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/40-years-ago-last-moments-before-mount-st-helens-eruption-caught-on-camera/738277

quote:

he USGS described a "carnival-like atmosphere" around Mount St. Helens as volcano sightseers gathered around view points such as Silver Lake, about 30 miles away.

On March 31, The Cowlitz County Commissioners declared a state of emergency to address roadblocks and standby in case of orders for evacuations. Public reactions, Vancouver Columbian reported, varied as calls flooded USFS personnel. The calls ranged from people expressing their frustration over not being able to access their cabins within closed areas while members of the press were allowed through to gamblers requesting the number of explosions within the past 24 hours.

On the south shore of Spirit Lake, a lake about 6 miles north of the volcano, local Harry Truman was the only resident of the lakeside who refused to leave his home.

"I think the whole drat thing is overexaggerated ... Spirit Lake and Mount St. Helens are my life ... You couldn't pull me out with a mule team," Truman told the Longview Daily News.

Just holy loving poo poo.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Freakazoid_ posted:

As a former Snohomish County resident, I never saw anyone driving a truck with a big gadsden flag flying from the back, like I do in the city of Everett, the truck owner living only a few blocks from me.

Yeah, this reads like the opinion of someone who has only left Bellevue once.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

https://apnews.com/858075236a56cad769c96c0187b8bfe6

quote:

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A judge in rural Oregon on Monday tossed out statewide coronavirus restrictions imposed by Democratic Gov. Kate Brown, saying she didn’t seek the Legislature’s approval to extend the stay-at-home orders beyond a 28-day limit.

Baker County Circuit Judge Matthew Shirtcliff issued his opinion in response to a lawsuit filed earlier this month by 10 churches around Oregon that argued the state’s social-distancing directives were unconstitutional.

Brown said she would immediately seek an emergency review by the Oregon Supreme Court. Her attorneys asked the judge to stay his ruling until the high court could review the case, but he declined.

In a statement, Brown said: “The science behind these executive orders hasn’t changed one bit. Ongoing physical distancing, staying home as much as possible, and wearing face coverings will save lives across Oregon.”

In a seven-page opinion, Shirtcliff wrote that the damage to Oregonians and their livelihood was greater than the dangers presented by the coronavirus. He also noted that other businesses deemed essential, such as grocery stores, had been allowed to remain open even with large numbers of people present and have relied on masks, social distancing and other measures to protect the public.

“The governor’s orders are not required for public safety when plaintiffs can continue to utilize social distancing and safety protocols at larger gatherings involving spiritual worship,” he wrote.

Similar actions have occurred in other states.

The Wisconsin Supreme Court struck down Gov. Tony Evers’ coronavirus stay-at-home order last Wednesday, ruling that his administration overstepped its authority when it extended it for another month without consulting legislators.

And a federal judge in North Carolina on Saturday sided with conservative Christian leaders and blocked the enforcement of restrictions that Gov. Roy Cooper ordered affecting indoor religious services during the coronavirus pandemic.

The order from Judge James C. Dever III came days after two Baptist churches, a minister and a Christian revival group filed a federal lawsuit seeking to immediately block enforcement of rules covering religious services within the Democratic governor’s executive orders.

In Louisiana, a federal judge on Friday refused a minister’s request to temporarily halt Gov. John Bel Edwards’ stay-at-home order, which expired that same day.

In Oregon, Brown declared a statewide state of emergency due to the virus on March 8 and has issued multiple executive orders since then, including the closure of all schools, non-essential businesses and a ban on dine-in service at restaurants and bars. All but a handful of Oregon counties, however, got the state’s approval to begin loosening those restrictions last Friday.

Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum urged residents to abide by the stay-at-home orders while the ruling is appealed.

“We will argue that the judge erred in his construction of the relevant statutes and that he abused his discretion in issuing the preliminary injunction,” she said in a statement. “We will also be asking for an immediate stay of his order.”

Attorney Ray Hacke, who represented the plaintiffs in the case, said the ruling was a vindication not just for freedom of religion, but for all freedoms of people in the state.

“Praise God. I’m excited, and I’m glad that the judge saw that there are limitations on the governor’s power, even in the midst of emergencies,” he said. “If people want to get their haircut, they can. They can leave their home for any reason whether it’s deemed essential in the eye of the state or not.”

Shirtcliff, the judge, was the district attorney of Baker County from 2001 until Brown appointed him to be a judge last September, with the appointment having taken effect on Nov. 1.

Oops

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Yakima County update:

Attack rate approaching 20x King County. I don't want to beat up on non-Seattle metro, but I do want people to be aware that the risk of the outbreak in central/Eastern WA right now is significantly worse to individuals than it ever was in Seattle at the peak last month.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 18, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

King county deaths were way down the last day I checked like just a few per day.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I love all these reasonable plans and requirements for reopening just getting thrown out the window immediately when nothing has changed. Oregon never did their 100k random tests, no longer need to hire contact tracers (just show you CAN), no longer need number to be below a limit. Just open back up.

I've been staying away from one of my favorite places in klickitat county for this whole time to avoid travel and spreading this poo poo and right as things could be getting better it's going to kick off again in rural areas.

This is dumb and I'm over it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I love all these reasonable plans and requirements for reopening just getting thrown out the window immediately when nothing has changed. Oregon never did their 100k random tests, no longer need to hire contact tracers (just show you CAN), no longer need number to be below a limit. Just open back up.

I've been staying away from one of my favorite places in klickitat county for this whole time to avoid travel and spreading this poo poo and right as things could be getting better it's going to kick off again in rural areas.

This is dumb and I'm over it.

Western States Pact was announced three weeks ago and now Inslee is basically the last man standing.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Oldest Man posted:

Western States Pact was announced three weeks ago and now Inslee is basically the last man standing.

It absolutely sucks too because the chuds won't stop posting poo poo like Adolf Inslee

Thanks for your informative posts.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah, I'm really confused about that. Like it seemed like the West Coast had made a firm decision to hold the line and then, nah, nevermind gently caress it. Not sure what exactly broke loose?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Inslee is basically the only governor to get this close to right. King county deaths peaked around the mid twenties and we are down to around 1 a day.

I hope he keeps it up. I means the more conservative parts of the state aren’t going to do quite as well I think, but I don’t really blame him for that. The big challenge is going to be schools next fall, I really hope they have a solid plan for that and currently I think they will?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crumbskull posted:

Not sure what exactly broke loose?

Everybody is going nuts even if they want to be locked down. People with kids especially. I think opening the parks back up probably helped here in WA quite a lot. It has seemed to be a low risk choice that let off a lot of steam. I was worried about it a lot (seriously the trailheads got turbo slammed). But it seems to have not increased our cases and deaths.

We also seem to be way ahead on contactless stuff than other parts of the country. I think we did better with unemployment, not perfect by any means, but better than most of the country.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Everybody is going nuts even if they want to be locked down. People with kids especially. I think opening the parks back up probably helped here in WA quite a lot. It has seemed to be a low risk choice that let off a lot of steam. I was worried about it a lot (seriously the trailheads got turbo slammed). But it seems to have not increased our cases and deaths.

We also seem to be way ahead on contactless stuff than other parts of the country. I think we did better with unemployment, not perfect by any means, but better than most of the country.

I live at a marina in the South Sound and it was chock a block with speedboat goobers last weekend, I can't imagine what the trails were like.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Inslee is basically the only governor to get this close to right. King county deaths peaked around the mid twenties and we are down to around 1 a day.

I hope he keeps it up. I means the more conservative parts of the state aren’t going to do quite as well I think, but I don’t really blame him for that. The big challenge is going to be schools next fall, I really hope they have a solid plan for that and currently I think they will?

I'm not a huge Inslee fan on account of being a radical lefty, but yeah, its been pretty hard to find much fault with WAs response all things considered. At first I didn't think we had closed down fast enough but it seems to have worked, although as someone upthread said Yakima is getting slammed. I'm glad farmworkers are striking, I hope it means they stay safe and that Familias Unidas scores some more wins.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Everything good Kate Brown has done was following in Inslee's footsteps or caving to political pressure from Oregon Mayors and County officials. I fully expect her unclear and inconsistent opening strategy to be a catastrophe. Here's hoping geographic factors can overcome the incompetence.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Everything good Kate Brown has done was following in Inslee's footsteps or caving to political pressure from Oregon Mayors and County officials. I fully expect her unclear and inconsistent opening strategy to be a catastrophe. Here's hoping geographic factors can overcome the incompetence.

Yup.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Little Si lot full, overflow full, Tanner landing full out to the road, cars waiting on the road for people to leave.

Slammed full. But people mostly seem to be staying away from each other. Not a lot of masks outdoors on things like the Snoqualmie valley trail, but again everybody seems to be staying away the hell away from each other.

I mean personally if we go anywhere outside and there is anybody at all there, nope gently caress that go elsewhere is what we do. I thought we were going to get a spike about two weeks after he did it, but that seems not to have happened.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Little Si lot full, overflow full, Tanner landing full out to the road, cars waiting on the road for people to leave.

Slammed full. But people mostly seem to be staying away from each other. Not a lot of masks outdoors on things like the Snoqualmie valley trail, but again everybody seems to be staying away the hell away from each other.

I mean personally if we go anywhere outside and there is anybody at all there, nope gently caress that go elsewhere is what we do. I thought we were going to get a spike about two weeks after he did it, but that seems not to have happened.
"Sunshine is the best disinfectant." Researchers have said UV light seems to be very effective at killing the virus, but they definitely weren't sure, and until we are better safe than sorry with the masks.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We would be going down a lot faster if we could keep everyone locked in their homes for a couple of weeks but I think we will at least be going down if offices, schools, restaurants, salons and gyms remain closed and people don't do any mass outdoor events. It's a lot harder for this to spread if there aren't groups of people congregating, especially indoors. There will definitely be cases here and there from parks, trails, etc. but you don't get superspreading events that way.

Once we're down to a couple dozen cases a day, I think contact tracing becomes viable again and we can stamp out flare-ups that way.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

We would be going down a lot faster if we could keep everyone locked in their homes for a couple of weeks but I think we will at least be going down if offices, schools, restaurants, salons and gyms remain closed and people don't do any mass outdoor events. It's a lot harder for this to spread if there aren't groups of people congregating, especially indoors. There will definitely be cases here and there from parks, trails, etc. but you don't get superspreading events that way.

Once we're down to a couple dozen cases a day, I think contact tracing becomes viable again and we can stamp out flare-ups that way.

Exactly, and now we have assholes screaming about how contact tracing is illegal and it’s the government spying on you and so on. I’m just hoping it’s bots but who really knows.

But yeah, I can’t say I was a huge booster of Inslee before this but he’s been absolutely solid.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
As far as I can tell, the Western States Pact is still going strong. All three states have the exact same policies of limited regional reopening based on statistical performance. Washington still has the most cases per capita, and is the most closed; Oregon has the least and is the most open. The only real caveat to this was when an Oregon circuit judge tried to single-handedly void the safety closures, and he was blocked by the supreme court within hours and will hopefully be voted out later this year for his trouble.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
gently caress, there’s a gym near me that’s open and violating the law in doing so. The state Attorney General is already suing them, luckily.

They currently have a GoFundMe up, aren’t those not allowed for this sort of thing? Any way to report it and get it shut down maybe?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kaal posted:

As far as I can tell, the Western States Pact is still going strong. All three states have the exact same policies of limited regional reopening based on statistical performance. Washington still has the most cases per capita, and is the most closed; Oregon has the least and is the most open. The only real caveat to this was when an Oregon circuit judge tried to single-handedly void the safety closures, and he was blocked by the supreme court within hours and will hopefully be voted out later this year for his trouble.

Newsom is walking back a lot of the safety precautions in the reopening guidance (bad) and allowing self-certification by county/local officials that have proven that they don't care about public health (bad): https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/coronavirus/california-reopening-stay-home-order-coronavirus-covid-19-gavin-newsom/2364760/

This is a serious problem because CA's case growth rate is not decreasing and its daily deaths have been flat since mid April. That means that there is sustained community transmission and r0 is hovering around 1 on a base of several tens of thousands of active cases. Relaxing the re-opening guidance under the circumstances will result in a return to exponential growth.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anybody have any advice on getting into contact with Oregon Unemployment (other than the obvious good luck)? Haven't gotten a check in a few weeks because I need to contact them and explain why I was still furloughed after four weeks and now I have to figure out what I do now that I'm officially laid off. I've tried calling, I've sent some emails, but no responses. I even tried calling unemployment at like 3am to see if I was even calling the right number. I've asked my previous place of work what to do and they have been frustratingly quiet.

I know I am far from the only person dealing with this but its all just so frustrating.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Combatace posted:

Does anybody have any advice on getting into contact with Oregon Unemployment (other than the obvious good luck)? Haven't gotten a check in a few weeks because I need to contact them and explain why I was still furloughed after four weeks and now I have to figure out what I do now that I'm officially laid off. I've tried calling, I've sent some emails, but no responses. I even tried calling unemployment at like 3am to see if I was even calling the right number. I've asked my previous place of work what to do and they have been frustratingly quiet.

I know I am far from the only person dealing with this but its all just so frustrating.

My cousin and his wife were successful repeat dialing beginning at 6:50 AM (lines open just before 7) on 2 different phones. I was unsuccessful trying that for my father in law and gave up after 1500 dials, but I only did it for one day and then he and my MIL tried again for a few hours on a couple other days but may not have started early enough. In the end he was laid off for 6 weeks and got his first check on Tuesday of the week he returned to work.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Well at least the AG is going after those two gyms, and the City of Arlington is threatening to pull the business license. Christ I’m so pissed at this bullshit.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Oregon elections aren't looking great. The most progressive candidate for Portland City Commissioner is in 4th place, Wheeler might win outright tonight, and the dem Secretary of State Primary is ever so slightly going against the union backed candidate. Could be a lot worse but an incumbency/establishment advantage amidst the Covid crisis seems clear.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oregon elections aren't looking great. The most progressive candidate for Portland City Commissioner is in 4th place, Wheeler might win outright tonight, and the dem Secretary of State Primary is ever so slightly going against the union backed candidate. Could be a lot worse but an incumbency/establishment advantage amidst the Covid crisis seems clear.

I’m embarrassed that so many people decided to bubble in Joe. Figured people could at least leave it blank. That city council race is pretty crummy. I wasn’t impressed at all with Dan Ryan who’s whole deal seems to be that he built a very diverse transportation company or something. Also looks like the other city council race will come down to Eudaly and Mingus Mapps. Mapps seems pretty drat conservative but I guess “I’ll be nicer to landlords and developers” is a winning message these days. Pretty disappointing really but might as well rip the Wheeler band aid off early since even if it went to a runoff we’re getting another four years of his old money police loving rear end.

But at least we're going to have a fun senate race maybe! https://www.thedailybeast.com/jo-rae-perkins-oregon-republican-senate-primary-winner-thanks-qanon-for-victory

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 20, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's looking like Wheeler is pulling in just below 50%, so it's runoff time.

Bummed about SoS though. :smith:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Secretary of State is one of those "why do we vote on this" things right? I just want someone competent to run elections.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Well the last secretary of state ended up Governor so I was hoping Shemia Fagan could take a similar path. Besides, conducting fair elections has become a political policy issue, one which we can't even trust everyone with a D next to their name to handle the right way.

I wouldn't call Mingus Maps conservative. He was part of Eudaly's staff until she proved her self incompetent. Through union work it has been stressed to me time and again that previous Eudaly supporters have been deeply disappointed at her inability to handle the day to day tasks of governance. By comparison, everything good you've ever heard about Jo Ann Hardesty is an understatement. She and her team are rock stars.

Hope! https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/05/...ace-tightening/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
I’m in WA, and I know our close elections can take like a week or more to finalize because of the whole mail-in only thing. I’m assuming that’d be similar in OR, or am I wrong there?

Like, one of our progressive Seattle City Council members was down on the day of the election last year (plus a few days post-election), but she had a pretty significant advantage in late returns and ended up winning.

generic one fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 20, 2020