Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Crate potion. Made with a....cactus?
This is with a crate potion going. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it feels like its less than 20% now. get a sonar potion going

i also noticed an enormous difference with higher fishing power, way more than i used to, in terms of quality of crates

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I guess I should go farm up enough of a better bait than enchanted nightcrawlers, then. I have the best fishing pole available short of the Golden or Hotline one, fishing potions, and an angler's earring. Other than fishing at specific times or

Hey, weather! I can control the weather and force it to be rainy!

EDIT: I should also build a fishing pool close enough to the jungle house to not have to fight bats every time they make it into my fishing shack

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

journey mode owns so much. being able to duplicate things doesn't even feel like cheating, because all it does is eliminate tedium. it's still up to the player to defeat poo poo on their own.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Still can't play, still need advice on FPS issues :(

Dumb Lowtax posted:

First time on Desktop version. Getting very low frame rate intermittently. Is there any way to see my current FPS? That would help to diagnose.

It runs best when I go windowed and only use part of my screen. But, the mouse pointer clicks my Desktop icons whenever I overshoot out of the window. In contrast, Minecraft "captures" your mouse so that this can't happen. Is there any way to do something similar in Terraria? How do I avoid clicking outside of a windowed (not full-screen) game?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

If you're playing through Steam you can activate a universal FPS counter on the overlay (Steam -> Settings -> In-Game), it's pretty unobtrusive (grey text) and I normally leave it on in the top left.

Can't really comment on the rest sorry.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Whoever created the new dungeon trap is a huge dick.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

My underground Jungle got a bit weird during worldgen, the desert under the oasis near my base runs into it, and the temple seems to have spawned on top of a marble biome. Gonna have to make another world if I want those goodies I guess.

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
I believe it's f10 to show fps in game. F9-f12 do different things, one if them cycles between lighting modes

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Anyone else notice the research thing not working 100%? When I research a grappling hook, vanity pet, or herb bag it doesn't show up in my duplicate menu. The hook and pet show up after a restart but disappear again. Herb bag just never shows up (and yes I researched the 2 or 3 or whatever you needed).

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So just in case anyone else was trying, there are no other hidden seeds.

It's "not the bees" and "05162020", referred to as notTheBees and drunkGen respectively.

Still a good time, I'm enjoying bees everywhere.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Turn on the FPS overlay in Steam.

Steam->Settings->In-Game->In-Game FPS Counter

As for the capture of the mouse, not sure what's going on there. Maybe try playing around with the borderless window options?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Are you on a Mac? Some of my friends seems to be having trouble with low FPS on Mac and while they haven't been able to fix it completely, turning "Frame Skip" on in the video settings and also disabling the mini-map (press Tab twice) seems to help. Even if you're not on Mac, maybe give those a try and see if they help?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Polish posted:

Anyone else notice the research thing not working 100%? When I research a grappling hook, vanity pet, or herb bag it doesn't show up in my duplicate menu. The hook and pet show up after a restart but disappear again. Herb bag just never shows up (and yes I researched the 2 or 3 or whatever you needed).

Are you sure you don't have one of the tabs selected, or something in the search box? Some items don't appear in any of the tabs and you have to unselect them all; grappling hooks are among them.

They're probably meant to go under Misc, I haven't seen anything other than a magic mirror go in that yet.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like being able to research owls with journey mode and then spawn a thousand owls in the guide's house. I wish there was some way to weaponize them though, armored owl bombs or something that I could drop into the underground jungle and would cause a dozen very pissed off owls to spawn and go on a rampage.

edit a red army of red squirrels, go full nosferatu and just spam plague mice

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been tinkering with the idea of traps which I've never set up to much effect. Now that I have unlimited buckets, I also have given thought to completely de-lavaing the world. I've brought a few stacks up and made a death moat under my house, but I want more methods of automated death for any who would march on my utopia

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

I've brought a few stacks up and made a death moat under my house,

Don't forget to research a bucket each of lava, water, and honey.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i wish i had people to play with

all my friends got their terraria bug out years ago

Let goons fill your friendship hole

Discord: https://discord.gg/VhHXqM

StealthArcher's Fuckbucket Master Server:
IP: 104.246.132.142
Port: 7777, 7778, 7779 (Medium, Large, Large Bees)
Password: lljk

Munki's Journey Server:
goon.nodecraft.gg
Password: g00nz

I don't know how many people are usually on Archer's, but the other is usually 6-8 people afternoon-evening.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 19, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Discord link in the OP is expired, not sure if those only last a little while or if it's an old group or what.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Let goons fill your friendship hole

Discord: https://discord.gg/VhHXqM

StealthArcher's Fuckbucket Master Server:
IP: 104.246.132.142
Port: 7777, 7778, and 7779
Password: lljk

Munki's Journey Server:
goon.nodecraft.gg
Password: g00nz

I don't know how many people are usually on Archer's, but the other is usually 6-8 people afternoon-evening.

Fixed my ports, which was a confusing mess done while I was away from home working on a phone, and couldn't change my forwarded ports.

Servers are Medium, Large, and Large Bees, all Master, if people want an easier server feel free to ask.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sweet, edited

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

loving orbs!!! Gimme a goddamn meteor already!!!

The pylon system is so drat good btw. Already got a warp network running between the Ocean (right next to the dungeon), Jungle, Spawn point, Desert, and one halfway down the world in the Caverns. So much time saved not having to run everywhere and it's really cool building little settlements in each biome as opposed to the usual apartment complex at spawn

Is it possible to put a pylon in Hell? I'm guessing not but it would be cool having my own little Helltown

EDIT:

i vomit kittens posted:

The requirements for a meteor to drop have apparently been updated so that you now also need to kill the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu before meteors start dropping.

goddammit.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 19, 2020

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Augus posted:

loving orbs!!! Gimme a goddamn meteor already!!!

The requirements for a meteor to drop have apparently been updated so that you now also need to kill the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu before meteors start dropping.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I love how much random content is in this game. I was doing a fishing quest in the Underground Hallow and mining crystals while I'm at it. Apparently I looted an item that summons the Queen Slime. I didn't even know there was a Queen Slime.

Don't think I'm gonna crank this one up to Master just yet, seeing as how I have an Adamantite Repeater w/ Cursed Arrows as my main offense right now.

Which mechanical boss should I try first for Expert? I have the item to summon Skeletron Prime but that seems like a bad one to leap into. Maybe I should do the Twins.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
no matter how many times I resettle the regular merchant guy into a nice little cottage in the forest I just cannot make him happy...

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

if he has enough space and is in a place he likes, make sure the nurse is also nearby, that should get him happy enough for the pylon.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
being able to start a boss fight on the easiest difficulty and pop it up to master difficulty just before it dies, combined with my total lack of willpower is making me feel super guilty. you get all the same loot/credit for a fraction of the difficulty. maybe they should have locked it into whatever difficulty it was at when it was summoned, but I guess that would suck for people who want to lower the difficulty

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

knob posted:

being able to start a boss fight on the easiest difficulty and pop it up to master difficulty just before it dies, combined with my total lack of willpower is making me feel super guilty. you get all the same loot/credit for a fraction of the difficulty. maybe they should have locked it into whatever difficulty it was at when it was summoned, but I guess that would suck for people who want to lower the difficulty

Why feel guilty, maybe a huge slog of boss fight isn't what you're looking for, but the rewards are still wanted, so...play how you wanna play? Like, that's the greatest thing about journey mode, the freedom to just...enjoy the game.

Also that's kinda brilliant, I hadn't thought of adjusting the slider mid-fight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's journey mode, everything is permitted

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Any chance we can update the thread title, or even make a new thread for 1.4?

Terraria is such a popular game, much like the other goons I've played with recently on Stealth/Munki's servers we haven't played in years but it's been great coming back in tyool 2020.

I'd imagine loads more goons would jump on board the discord/servers with a new OP.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Has anyone seen any Strange Dye plants? I just realized that I haven't seen a one despite doing a lot of exploring. Also, I'm somewhat concerned that my underground jungle might not have spawned any living mahogany trees. Been around a good bit, found the Temple, but no trees.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Geomancing posted:

Has anyone seen any Strange Dye plants? I just realized that I haven't seen a one despite doing a lot of exploring. Also, I'm somewhat concerned that my underground jungle might not have spawned any living mahogany trees. Been around a good bit, found the Temple, but no trees.

The plants are hard mode only as of 1.4 so that may be delaying the spawning of those.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Adam the angler ain't winning any popularity contests

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
We're supposed to be able to research & duplicate any item in Discovery Mode, right? I bought some paints plus a roller and then researched them, but they're not showing up under the duplication menu. I even used the search function. Anybody know if this is bugged or what?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Eh! Frank posted:

We're supposed to be able to research & duplicate any item in Discovery Mode, right? I bought some paints plus a roller and then researched them, but they're not showing up under the duplication menu. I even used the search function. Anybody know if this is bugged or what?

The duplication menu is terrible. Try clicking your currently selected tab to deselect it, then search. Some items don't have a tab to show up in, and search only searches the current tab.

If that doesn't work, then yeah. Probably a bug.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

as much as i’ve bitched about skeletron being a massive roadblock on expert i did manage to beat it first time on master :shrug:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Qylvaran posted:

The duplication menu is terrible. Try clicking your currently selected tab to deselect it, then search. Some items don't have a tab to show up in, and search only searches the current tab.

If that doesn't work, then yeah. Probably a bug.

Ah, I didn't realize that it only searched the current tab, and that you could click on a tab to deselect it so it'd show everything. They're showing up now, thanks!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Eh! Frank posted:

Ah, I didn't realize that it only searched the current tab, and that you could click on a tab to deselect it so it'd show everything. They're showing up now, thanks!

Yeah it's not great UI-wise and hopefully the fact that there are things that aren't in ANY tabs is actually a bug that will be fixed. I don't really see the point of the tabs honestly. Especially if their search was more than just "does this item's name contain X". Like, searching for "range" or "summon" or "melee" should show a lot more than what it does. Similarly things like "defense" or "accessory", etc.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fun fact regarding duplication, grenades only stack to 99 but you need to have 100 for duplication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

Any chance we can update the thread title, or even make a new thread for 1.4?

Terraria is such a popular game, much like the other goons I've played with recently on Stealth/Munki's servers we haven't played in years but it's been great coming back in tyool 2020.

I'd imagine loads more goons would jump on board the discord/servers with a new OP.

This. Plus, we already have the thread title:

Augus posted:

it's journey mode, everything is permitted

Also, The Twins showed up on their own in my world. I get 100% facewrecked in full Orichalcum gear which was weird, because I had just handily dealt with a pirate invasion. Turns out, after the invasion, I thought it was a bit easy and cranked the slider from .75 to .85. Except I unwittingly set it to master mode without realizing. Queue a big "Ooooohhh..." and a new habit of double checking my settings, haha.

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 19, 2020