Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Giga Gaia posted:

never tell the truth to anyone who wears a suit or uniform

I'm going to get that engraved on a plaque for my desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1262754834265980928?s=19

What would this even do. I still do not understand negative rates.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't recommend them because it's a crime probably or at least naughty but there are companies that give pretend references and work history. capitalism!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1262754834265980928?s=19

What would this even do. I still do not understand negative rates.

we will pay you to borrow money

it doesn't stimulate capex or employment but rather companies will just take out more bonds to juice dividends, and number goes up

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Giga Gaia posted:

never tell the truth to anyone who wears a suit or uniform

this is one of the greatest truths of the world

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

all negative rates does is make it so banks theoretically have more of an incentive to lend to the private sector instead of stashing their cash at the fed but it should be well understood by now that companies taking out loans from banks doesnt always actually produce growth or investment

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

did this story about a guy liberating money from venture capital get posted yet

https://themargins.substack.com/p/doordash-and-pizza-arbitrage

quote:

In March 2019 a good friend who owns a few pizza restaurants messaged me (this friend has made appearances in prior Margins' pieces). For over a decade, he resisted adding delivery as an option for his restaurants. He felt it would detract from focusing on the dine-in experience and result in trying to compete with Domino's.

But he had suddenly started getting customers calling in with complaints about their deliveries.

Customers called in saying their pizza was delivered cold. Or the wrong pizza was delivered and they wanted a new pizza.

Again, none of his restaurants delivered.

He realized that a delivery option had mysteriously appeared on their company's Google Listing. The delivery option was created by Doordash.

To confirm, he had never spoken with anyone from Doordash and after years of resisting the siren song of delivery revenue, certainly did not want to be listed. But the words "Order Delivery" were right there, prominently on the Google snippet.

He messaged me asking me if I knew anything about Doordash, and oh boy, did I get Softbank-triggered. I had just read about their $400 million Series F and it was among the WeWorkian class of companies that, for me, represented everything wrong about startup evolution through the 2010s. Raise a ton of money, lose a ton of money, and just obliterate the basic economics of an industry.

Doordash was causing him real problems. The most common was, Doordash delivery drivers didn't have the proper bags for pizza so it inevitably would arrive cold. It led to his employees wasting time responding to complaints and even some bad Yelp reviews.

But he brought up another problem - the prices were off. He was frustrated that customers were seeing incorrectly low prices. A pizza that he charged $24 for was listed as $16 by Doordash.

My first thought: I wondered if Doordash is artificially lowering prices for customer acquisition purposes.

My second thought: I knew Doordash scraped restaurant websites. After we discussed it more, it was clear that the way his menu was set up on his website, Doordash had mistakenly taken the price for a plain cheese pizza and applied it to a 'specialty' pizza with a bunch of toppings.

My third thought: Cue the Wall Street trader in me…..ARBITRAGE!!!!

[...]

If someone could pay Doordash $16 a pizza, and Doordash would pay his restaurant $24 a pizza, then he should clearly just order pizzas himself via Doordash, all day long. You'd net a clean $8 profit per pizza [insert nerdy economics joke about there is such a thing as a free lunch].

He thought this was a stupid idea. "A business as successful a Doordash and worth billions of dollars would clearly not just give away money like this." But I pushed back that, given their recent obscene fundraise, they would weirdly enough be happy to lose that money. Some regional director would be able to show top-line revenue growth while some accounting line-item, somewhere, would not match up, but the company was already losing hundreds of millions of dollars. I imagined their systems might even be built to discourage catching these mistakes because it would detract, or at a minimum distract, from top-line revenue.

So we put in the first order for 10 pizzas.

[...]

He called in and placed an order for 10 pizzas to a friend's house and charged $160 to his personal credit card. A Doordash call center then called into his restaurant and put in the order for those 10 pizzas. A Doordash driver showed up with a credit card and paid $240 for the pizzas.

It worked.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Thoguh posted:

I need to start looking in to that in preparation for the layoff I assume is coming. There is a problem that the only company in the area that might hire me as a consultant or contractor is the one that might lay me off.

you dont need customers lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Pick posted:

I don't recommend them because it's a crime probably or at least naughty but there are companies that give pretend references and work history. capitalism!

I have several gaps in my job history and I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've been passed over so many times. I work a seasonal job that is enough to cover my expenses but the gaps look so bad to HR.

gently caress HR

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

err posted:

I have several gaps in my job history and I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've been passed over so many times. I work a seasonal job that is enough to cover my expenses but the gaps look so bad to HR.

gently caress HR

it would be wrong to google companies that do this affordably

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you want to be in the 90th percentile of fake self-employed consultants you can write some blog posts

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Only an idiot provides a service/product under capitalism. That's not where the money is.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pick posted:

it would be wrong to google companies that do this affordably

thankfully, being a rebel is cool

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

there's been a concerted effort among all elements of the media class, in both canada and america, to portray landlords as struggling, poor and weak, and to portray tenants as selfish, cunning and amoral

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Literal Hamster posted:

there's been a concerted effort among all elements of the media class, in both canada and america, to portray landlords as struggling, poor and weak, and to portray tenants as selfish, cunning and amoral

its almost as if the media class oft owns rental properties as supplementary income. weird!

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

half the renters in america pay "nominal" rent lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

i strongly advise against that even under the circumstances, companies are absolutely pyschopathic toward people with work history gaps

lmao what the gently caress is this horseshit advice? Just lie about your employment.

Either start a LLC or get a friend to cover for you and just say you are working at your job that you just left.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Stimulus checks solved depression! YAY! TRUMP

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

ratbert90 posted:

Just lie about your employment.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol the whole market just freaked out because the Moderna vaccine trial was, surprise, a bunch of bullshit

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein/status/1262818961256779777?s=20

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

whoopsie doodle!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

wow i can't believe a publicly traded company would just go on television and lie

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

down down down

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Egg Moron posted:

whoopsie doodle!

If you ain't violating securities laws, you ain't trying. TRUMP!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

who could have foreseen

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Giga Gaia posted:

thats a general pro tip for living life in america, btw. never tell the truth to anyone who wears a suit or uniform
EMTs and Firefighters are probably the only exceptions to this rule because of the whole not dying thing.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

loving trade war resolution pump and dump being replaced by covid vaccine pump and dump

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

err posted:

gently caress HR

Most background check companies aren't that competent and most companies don't actually check your references

Fill in them gaps

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

GWBBQ posted:

EMTs and Firefighters are probably the only exceptions to this rule because of the whole not dying thing.

do not lie to the mcdonalds person about what kinda sauce you want

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Burn Zone posted:

did this story about a guy liberating money from venture capital get posted yet

https://themargins.substack.com/p/doordash-and-pizza-arbitrage

so that Silicon Valley episode was right? which came first?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Imagine, for a moment, someone who works at a background check company, and whether they are really really really committed to the job, and give a gently caress

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Most background check companies aren't that competent and most companies don't actually check your references

Fill in them gaps

sage advice

if it was five years ago or more just say you were an assistant manager at a radio shack or some poo poo, pick any retailer that has gone under

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

You ever order chicken nuggets, request Sweet and Sour sauce and get ranch instead?

Dark times that day....

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

GWBBQ posted:

organ harvesters the lot

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Torpor posted:

so that Silicon Valley episode was right? which came first?

the episode of silicon valley, although rather than a specific pizza or even food issue but general capitalist/valley “let’s buoy our revenue while taking a loss and hope that nobody knows what arbitrage is” economic sleights of hand

this is just one of those happy coincidences

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like, I've never had to do that for a CV, but just about everybody else I know has.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Pick posted:

Imagine, for a moment, someone who works at a background check company, and whether they are really really really committed to the job, and give a gently caress

it’s mostly robots doing the hard work of throwing your resume in the trash because you didn’t figure out their boolean logic puzzle and rewrite your resume for each and every job posting, but if you make it through then you get to interview with a brainwashed stooge who wants to know why you love this corporation, like the world’s neediest boyfriend, and they’re not gonna check your references and they’re especially not gonna hire someone to do it unless it’s a huge corporation that’s got one in house

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

vetting is a spook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s mostly robots doing the hard work of throwing your resume in the trash because you didn’t figure out their boolean logic puzzle and rewrite your resume for each and every job posting, but if you make it through then you get to interview with a brainwashed stooge who wants to know why you love this corporation, like the world’s neediest boyfriend, and they’re not gonna check your references and they’re especially not gonna hire someone to do it unless it’s a huge corporation that’s got one in house

And then every manager in the company gets to collectively just be shocked and astounded that they can't find any good/qualified applicants!