Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Let goons fill your friendship hole

thanks!

One of these days I'd love to have a go at master with a bunch of people from 0. coordinating farms and bases etc is really fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

thanks!

One of these days I'd love to have a go at master with a bunch of people from 0. coordinating farms and bases etc is really fun

StealthArcher's server(s) may get you that, some of them might be early enough to jump in at effectively zero.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It'll be cool when tmodloader is eventually upgraded to 1.4 and we'll hopefully be able to play around Calamity and Thorium and other stuff in Journey Mode

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

codo27 posted:

I've been tinkering with the idea of traps which I've never set up to much effect. Now that I have unlimited buckets, I also have given thought to completely de-lavaing the world.
You can fish up an anti-lava sponge out of lava now. As well as an infinite lava bucket, but that's less useful in journey mode where you can reserach one full lava bucket and reproduce it.

And Obsidifish are used to make a recall potion that gives you a portal back to where you recalled from :bubblewoop:

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah it's not great UI-wise and hopefully the fact that there are things that aren't in ANY tabs is actually a bug that will be fixed. I don't really see the point of the tabs honestly. Especially if their search was more than just "does this item's name contain X". Like, searching for "range" or "summon" or "melee" should show a lot more than what it does. Similarly things like "defense" or "accessory", etc.
It searches the description, so searching for "bait" will turn up all your bait you can replicate.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Augus posted:

It'll be cool when tmodloader is eventually upgraded to 1.4 and we'll hopefully be able to play around Calamity and Thorium and other stuff in Journey Mode

Hah, as if the guy who makes Calamity would deign to make it playable in Journey mode. That dude is obsessed with hardcore difficulty. Thorium is very likely, however.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a way to kick an NPC out of a house without tearing it down, and prevent them from moving into them in the future? The party girl moved into my loving bedroom and I want her GONE

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

So if I'm playing on journey as a new person to terraria, what are the things I shouldn't research? I figure not duping money is a no brainer, but I have no idea of the value of some of these things, so so far all I've duped is decorative blocks like the dynasty wood the traveling merchant showed up with and basic blocks like stone/wood. I'm very okay with skipping a grind to build cooler looking bases, but I don't want to break my progression on accident by duping the wrong thing.

Also the game appears to be absolutely just making GBS threads fallen stars on me, I've had 200 mana since like an hour into the game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a way to kick an NPC out of a house without tearing it down, and prevent them from moving into them in the future? The party girl moved into my loving bedroom and I want her GONE

Just move her to another house? Click the house icon above your equipment slots while your inventory is open and relocate her to a different house.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Just move her to another house? Click the house icon above your equipment slots while your inventory is open and relocate her to a different house.

Don't listen to this, you must delete this world and start anew. Condolences.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So if I'm playing on journey as a new person to terraria, what are the things I shouldn't research? I figure not duping money is a no brainer, but I have no idea of the value of some of these things, so so far all I've duped is decorative blocks like the dynasty wood the traveling merchant showed up with and basic blocks like stone/wood. I'm very okay with skipping a grind to build cooler looking bases, but I don't want to break my progression on accident by duping the wrong thing.

Also the game appears to be absolutely just making GBS threads fallen stars on me, I've had 200 mana since like an hour into the game.
I don't think you can really break the progression. You can get a full set of, say, Silver gear faster than if you had to mine up every single ore yourself, but you'll still need to go kill a couple bosses to get to Demonite/Crimtane stuff, etc.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The only duplications I'd call "progression breaking" besides money and ores are the "right-click to open" objects; mainly crates and herb bags. I don't care, so I just fished up 10 crates and iron crates and found a couple bags in chests and now I have infinite pre-hardmode ores and bars, master bait, and most of the potions.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what is progression in a mode where you can toggle god mode lol

id love to see some of the cooler aspects of journey added into classic, its weird that there aren't more weather changing/time cycle/spawn altering items, nor is there transmutation / duplication

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
the only things that you can really break via duplication would be anything that drops from a boss and fishing crates, yeah

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Zereth posted:

I don't think you can really break the progression. You can get a full set of, say, Silver gear faster than if you had to mine up every single ore yourself, but you'll still need to go kill a couple bosses to get to Demonite/Crimtane stuff, etc.

It's not progression breaking but you can basically zoom to top tier ores with the Extractinator (both pre- and post-hardmode). Obviously the boss-gated stuff still exists but if you can just duplicate silt/slush you can chuck 2000 in an extractinator and get all ores (including ones not in your world naturally) with no problem. Same with all the gems.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i view journey mode as a way to enable myself to easily build and explore and get to see all the content that i've been too worn out to grind to in the past. it owns so much. cutting out 90% of the tedium is such a great design choice for those who want it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Now if they could just allow me to spawn in biome key molds (yeah I could edit those in, but the only time I've ever gotten most of them was building a key mold farm)

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I did more exploring in my jungle and yeah, I don't think I have any living mahogany trees.

Big lump to the left is the Temple, but all the other black spots aren't large enough to hide a tree, I'd have seen roots or leaves or something. Strange world generation.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Geomancing posted:

I did more exploring in my jungle and yeah, I don't think I have any living mahogany trees.

Big lump to the left is the Temple, but all the other black spots aren't large enough to hide a tree, I'd have seen roots or leaves or something. Strange world generation.
Come to think of it, I was pretty thorough looking for an anklet of the wind* and didn't find any living mahogany trees either, in my medium world.

*which I didn't find either, and eventually resorted to fishing up 10 jungle crates and researching them and opening a ton of them and sorting through everything until I found some.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can also just open the housing menu and right click her banner inside the house to kick her out.
Get rid of any tables/dressers/workbenches in your bedroom and I believe that'll keep NPCs from trying to move into it.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I think (but am only saying this based on my experience) that the NPC's choice of housing might be that they go to the closest empty viable room to your spawn point. The ground-level room of my Holiday Inn is always the first place that a new NPC will automatically get assigned to unless there's already someone there that I haven't moved yet, even if I have a few vacant rooms in the levels above or below it. If your bedroom isn't directly on top of the spawn point and you have the space, try setting up an empty room for the new arrivals there.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Quick tip for pylons: find the vendor npc that likes a given biome and move that npc and ONLY that npc into their biome. They will sell the pylon. Buy it, place it, then move any two random npcs around it; doesn't matter if the new ones hate everything.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
apparently using the "wrong" torches decreases your luck stat

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Luck#Torch_Luck

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

knob posted:

Ugh, though it is hilarious that Cursed Torches are basically the best.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

No Safe Word posted:

Now if they could just allow me to spawn in biome key molds (yeah I could edit those in, but the only time I've ever gotten most of them was building a key mold farm)

I thought all existing biome key molds automatically became biome keys at this point, even in existing worlds?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think so. I played 1.3.5 a lot and I certainly never saw any molds.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I managed to kill The Twins on expert finally, so that's one mechanical boss down. I've spent the last hour and a half scouring the Underground Jungle for Life Fruit. I think it's a myth.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

life fruit only spawn once you’ve killed all of them right? if i’m misremembering that’s you just gotta give them some time to grow

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's supposedly after the first boss. So either it does need time to grow, they changed it, or I'm blind I guess.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If someone wants to make a new thread, go right ahead and be my guest. I'll also see about getting another permanent link to the discord once I'm back at my pc. That one was supposed to be permanent but apparently these links are tempermental.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

knob posted:

this game is nothing but a collection of dark sorcery

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Life fruit can only be found once at least one mechanical boss has been defeated, but they should grow continuously once they start spawning.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't do this, but on journey wouldn't you be better suited to keep 10 life crystals and research them rather than collecting the 14 or whatever it is you need to max?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

knob posted:

this is like the worst idea I have ever heard.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

codo27 posted:

I didn't do this, but on journey wouldn't you be better suited to keep 10 life crystals and research them rather than collecting the 14 or whatever it is you need to max?
So far, I've found it to be the better idea to get your life up as quickly as you can, especially if you also plan to play on the harder difficulty modes. Having to find four extra life crystals over just spawning them isn't exactly a major additional effort and there isn't really anything else you can do with then anyway. No point in bothering to comb the underground at base health for hours just for that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When was the tower defense thing brought in? I really enjoy that. Though it was very frustrating figuring out what to do with the loving wyverns.

Let my proclamation go out across the land

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Despite them being rather titillating, I would recommend against this course of action.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

knob posted:

This is weird as gently caress, and seems pointless in a bad way. I don't want to feng-shui my light fixtures while caving, no one wants to think about that, they just want to be able to see.

Is the play now to just beeline for the mining helmet and never use torches again, defense be damned?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are there any options for creating aesthetic garden plants that don't get wrecked by swinging weapons?

codo27 posted:

Let my proclamation go out across the land

I can agree with this

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

Is the play now to just beeline for the mining helmetshine potions and never use torches again, defense be damned?

Yes. That or use ultrabrights and/or flares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

This is weird as gently caress, and seems pointless in a bad way. I don't want to feng-shui my light fixtures while caving, no one wants to think about that, they just want to be able to see.

Is the play now to just beeline for the mining helmet and never use torches again, defense be damned?

Put cursed torches everywhere to boost your luck, apparently.