Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

how is xenoblade chronicles? is it good? the remaster is coming out soon (on the switch), so i was thinking about getting it, but i'm not very familiar with xenoblade other than that it got a lot of praise back on the wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Booky posted:

how is xenoblade chronicles? is it good? the remaster is coming out soon (on the switch), so i was thinking about getting it, but i'm not very familiar with xenoblade other than that it got a lot of praise back on the wii.

Its a good game with some weird quirks and some very clunky bits (everything to do with sidequests) and the remaster is claiming it will improve/fix some of the worst offenders so likely the only major thing that will be wrong with it is they designed sharla wrong, as a joke.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Whilst I like Wild Arms 1's story the most, 3 is still definitely the best overall game in the entire series. I play both through again every few years.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the wild arms games are some of the most unique jrpgs ever in so many ways, for both good and clunk and i hope now that akifumi kaneko is done writing symphogear he writes a new game.

it'd also be nice to see a translation of that old pc engine jrpg he directed before wild arms, i'm curious about that one. it also has music by michiko naruke

i've gotten back on the train of studying japanese and i'm gonna try to stay on it this time so i hope eventually i know enough to play the jp versions of 2 and acf and that pce game

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I just cannot think of anything but WA2 when I think of the series. Sure, the translation is a little jank but you can go full kamen rider/guyver/etc whenever you want, and that's a big victory as far as I'm concerned. My only regret is not playing it around the same age I played SaGa Frontier.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wa2's tl isn't just a little jank, it's one of the most indecipherable tls of any ps1 game i've ever played. even infamously bad ones like ff7 and ff8 don't hold a candle to it. the cool stuff about it still kinda shines through despite that but god. i wish devs would give all those old games a do-over

even ff9 could use a re-edited tl so that every line of dialog involving quina isn't tripping over itself trying to comprehend gender neutral pronouns as a concept

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, it's a bit of an understatement, but it also gave us some glorious gems in the mess so I can't say I didn't at least enjoy what came out of it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished Shadow Hearts pretty fun experience all in all if you don't mind early ps2 games. The judgment ring adds a nice active part to the combat, the setting is pretty dark but the atmosphere isn't always? There is ALOT of goofy poo poo in this game, I know thats something more present in the sequels as well. The ost is fantastic, there is lots of small tracks for each location that really set the mood. The pacing of the game is probably the best part, there is always something happening in the story and you don't really need to grind until maybe last hour or so.

Arzaac posted:

Yeah, I got it. It did take me a pretty long time to do it, but eventually I did it basically purely on instinct.

Yuri was always my strongest character by a longshot and that weapon did in fact widen that gap.

You can two shot the final boss with Yuri alone. I didn't use any of the battle items until the final boss but there is an item in the game that gives 1 character all crits for the DURATION of the battle. That is incredible broken combined with the item that lets you attack 7 times in 1 turn for 1 character. The final boss has 10k hp and I did 8800 dmg to him in 1 turn. I guess hoarding items paid off for once.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
WA1 is probably the rpg I played through the most as a kid that wasn't Final Fantasy 1.

Gameplay wise I like that everyone entirely has their own thing in terms of abilities. Magic Carrots and Bullet Clips not being buyable though definitely makes your resources feel scarce though, even if carrots are pretty plentiful in chests. I don't think I ever actually casted healing spells with Cecelia until really late in the game when I had to spam remedy a bit more, and mostly relied on using Mystic on berries and making Heal Blade the recipient of my early game secret signs. The status curing on heal blade making Jack kinda the best single target healer for a lot of stretches anyway. For most of the game though a few lock on shots from whatever Rudy's best single target arm is at the time is about all the damage you really need for bosses. The ARMs having different ammo clips for each also means you can kinda freely use the aoe weapons on annoying group encounters without having to worry about having less boss damage.

I love WA's tool system. It feels like a nicely expanded version of the map abilities characters in BoF have, and like BoFs 1/2 you almost always have everyone with you so there's no "well poo poo back to camp so I can bomb this doorway." Having an actual dash instead of just a "move a little faster" button is neat too even if it largely results in me bashing into walls and falling into holes. Also you get to talk to dogs :allears: The big old dog in Baskar village probably my favorite minor npc.

I don't have too many gameplay gripes with 1 really. The escape rate in battle felt annoyingly low even when my characters were outspeeding poo poo and had good/best luck. So many of Jack's fast draws felt kind of situational that there were just a few I ever really spent secret signs on(getting cosmic nova as cheap as possible makes the final dungeons vastly easier though), same for spending upgrades on Rudy's ARMs.

Story wise the localization is pretty janky and there's a lot of grammatical issues, which is pretty standard I guess for 90s jrpgs that have a ton of text being mostly done by a couple people with maybe one proofreading pass. One thing that felt really notable for me is that the story/settling feel real bleak at the beginning, but the story starts to just feel so optimistic by partway through. Having a small main cast lets each character feel really important. Rudy is probably among the best silent protagonists I've seen, and one of the very few times I think having him be (almost) entirely silent works out better for the character. The story's main plot itself feels a little disjointed at times bouncing from one demon plot to another but it hits a few real nice little emotional beats.

Also as someone whose favorite movie is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: I love the fantasy wild west aesthetic, and loving adore the soundtrack. I don't think I have ever turned the game on without listening to the intro animation the whole way through.

Also here's a nice cover of the intro theme "Into the Wilderness" because it is still maybe my favorite piece of video game music ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4sxwyr5Do

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 20, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the fact that #FE will just boot you to the title screen if you die, combined with the fact that it has no save points and no autosave, is loving killing me. i don't remember to save if you don't tell me to, game!

multiple times i have not saved for over an hour of doing various tasks and then i randomly die to some bullshit while briefly visiting a dungeon. love to repeat all my chores.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

Its a good game with some weird quirks and some very clunky bits (everything to do with sidequests) and the remaster is claiming it will improve/fix some of the worst offenders so likely the only major thing that will be wrong with it is they designed sharla wrong, as a joke.

He’s not joking either, Sharla is designed specifically to suck. Because they thought healing was OP or something

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ulio posted:

You can two shot the final boss with Yuri alone. I didn't use any of the battle items until the final boss but there is an item in the game that gives 1 character all crits for the DURATION of the battle. That is incredible broken combined with the item that lets you attack 7 times in 1 turn for 1 character. The final boss has 10k hp and I did 8800 dmg to him in 1 turn. I guess hoarding items paid off for once.
IIRC in The Dark Id's recent LP of the game, he one-shot the final boss with Yuri.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've seen people complain that wild arms doesn't stick to a strict wild west thing and instead goes for a weird sci-fi/fantasy wild west thing but. imo that's what makes it awesome. wild arms is a philosophical 90s sci-fi wild west anime as a jrpg series, like the writer watched trigun once and loved it so much they decided to write six entire loving games just like it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd play a trigun jrpg

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Something I enjoy about the Wild Arms series is that it has Themes, and by Themes I mean Words, often in [Brackets] that the characters are constantly talking about and the plot revolves around. It's most obvious in WA2 where every single character arc is an examination of the notion of Heroes, but in WA1, for example, the notion of Hope is pretty much the main throughline of the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know exactly which game you're thinking of, because I did the same thing; Left 4 Dead 1&2. It was such a cheap thing in multiplayer, but oh boy was it a life-saver on Expert runs when you'd hear "Tank Breathing" and just stop before going around that next corner...
Yeah, in Valve games if you turn the subtitles fully on it subtitles everything except, like, gunfire.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can deal with WA2's translation but that loving font is a crime
did somebody say font crime

The Colonel posted:

wa2's tl isn't just a little jank, it's one of the most indecipherable tls of any ps1 game i've ever played. even infamously bad ones like ff7 and ff8 don't hold a candle to it. the cool stuff about it still kinda shines through despite that but god. i wish devs would give all those old games a do-over
FF7: "this guy are sick" WA2: see above

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He’s not joking either, Sharla is designed specifically to suck. Because they thought healing was OP or something

It was a huge bummer playing the game and learning this wasnt some story thing that would get fixed or shed get items to fix this, she was designed ground up to be bad and thats a huge bummer when I liked her character and basically had to have her live on the bench.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zereth posted:

Yeah, in Valve games if you turn the subtitles fully on it subtitles everything except, like, gunfire.

did somebody say font crime

FF7: "this guy are sick" WA2: see above

Yeah I'm going through it right now and setting a custom dark blue textbox at least helped a little. It is pretty bad though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Something I enjoy about the Wild Arms series is that it has Themes, and by Themes I mean Words, often in [Brackets] that the characters are constantly talking about and the plot revolves around. It's most obvious in WA2 where every single character arc is an examination of the notion of Heroes, but in WA1, for example, the notion of Hope is pretty much the main throughline of the game.
my favorite example of this in kaneko's writing is Symphogear G being about Heroism, and this is expressed by having the villain quote Schwarzenegger movies constantly and yell I AM HUMANITY'S LAST ACTION HERO

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm someone who often appreciates nice fonts in games...for some reason. Like, certain games just have fonts that appeal to me, and I'll notice them right away. Final Fantasy Tactics comes to mind, certain retro fonts that are used in a number of indie titles these days, etc.

If I started WA2 and saw that font I'd probably turn the game off immediately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I also love how he also wrote some Nanoha games for the PSP, so the villains of those games come from a planet that's exactly like Wild Arms' setting

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Endorph posted:

my favorite example of this in kaneko's writing is Symphogear G being about Heroism, and this is expressed by having the villain quote Schwarzenegger movies constantly and yell I AM HUMANITY'S LAST ACTION HERO

that loving rules and I guess I need to play that eventually

edit: er, watch it

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 20, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symphogear g is an anime

no, i dont know why the writer of wild arms was chosen to write a magical girl anime

well actually i know but its an insane series of coincidences

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Barudak posted:

It was a huge bummer playing the game and learning this wasnt some story thing that would get fixed or shed get items to fix this, she was designed ground up to be bad and thats a huge bummer when I liked her character and basically had to have her live on the bench.
I played 75% of xenoblade with sharla and did not have a bad time. you don't need to bench her. you don't need to play optimally to win or have fun (well maybe for some challenge fights you do).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I played with her for a while and it was extremely frustrating.

Though I played with her as the AI and it can not handle two different cool down mechanics

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Barudak posted:

Haha :wtc: xeno devs

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Can I get details and/or a source on that, because it sounds like a wild design story.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The real crime in Xenoblade Chronicles is that they don't give you the best party member till like, the very very end of the game.

Spoilers to say who it is, but dang, they were real cool and an awesome concept for a tank.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She's fine but you have to play as her, the AI can't deal at all, also having a mostly dedicated healer slows down every fight compared to having three attackers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Caphi posted:

Can I get details and/or a source on that, because it sounds like a wild design story.

Sharla? I don’t think we have a story on that but every character gets a special skill for themselves. Shulk the Monado abilities. Melia magic poo poo and so on.

Sharlas is for some reason a restriction instead of a cool ability. So on top of the cool down all skills have She has a second cooldown which doesn’t actually do anything beneficial.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The real crime in Xenoblade Chronicles is that they don't give you the best party member till like, the very very end of the game.

Spoilers to say who it is, but dang, they were real cool and an awesome concept for a tank.

From what I have heard that character isn’t even in the new poo poo either, which sucks

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Caphi posted:

the gist of it is that the devs apparently thought the healer role was so good she needed a restriction no other party member has, to balance her out, but actually she wouldn't even be that good without it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

symphogear g is an anime

no, i dont know why the writer of wild arms was chosen to write a magical girl anime

well actually i know but its an insane series of coincidences
Sometimes it does feel a lot like a video game, though. Specifically, a video game with fantastic boss fights, but a lot of time in between them and not much variety in regular enemies.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I love Symphogear, but when I describe it that way it doesn't sound great, for some reason. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

She's fine but you have to play as her, the AI can't deal at all, also having a mostly dedicated healer slows down every fight compared to having three attackers.

Yeah its a combination of the AI cannot handle her so if shes in your party you kind of need to be Sharla, her healing doesn't offset the damage you take and her DPS is poor, and her special ability is "shes even worse for a while now".

You can play the game with her, its not like shes that detrimental, but shes just strictly inferior to basically any other choice you have by such a wide margin that its glaring.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC in The Dark Id's recent LP of the game, he one-shot the final boss with Yuri.

Ya it makes sense. I had the ultimate weapon but was missing 1 weapon upgrade and was not that high level cause I skipped lots of encounters in the last dungeon since I wanted to start playing FF7R..

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Like half the characters in Xenoblade Chronicles could be described as “bad if the AI plays them.”

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

AI controlled members always do the most questionable poo poo. The one game where this was the complete opposite was Fallout New Vegas, when you got the retired sniper Boone, that guy was basically a 1 man army, you could literally start putting all your points in non combat stats once you get him which is pretty early if I remember.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Barudak posted:

Yeah its a combination of the AI cannot handle her so if shes in your party you kind of need to be Sharla, her healing doesn't offset the damage you take and her DPS is poor, and her special ability is "shes even worse for a while now".

You can play the game with her, its not like shes that detrimental, but shes just strictly inferior to basically any other choice you have by such a wide margin that its glaring.

Man, I don't know about that. When I played it back on the Wii I was able to do a lot more with Sharla in my party (a lot earlier) than I was able with 3 attackers, AI controlled or no. Maybe it's just my style of play or something but the healing isn't nothing. I always felt like I got wrecked, especially early on, without that extra longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ethiser posted:

Like half the characters in Xenoblade Chronicles could be described as “bad if the AI plays them.”

Melia was literally unusable unless you controlled her, because the AI did not know how to actually use her playstyle beyond basic attacks.